Author Topic: 8 Oscars Nominations for BBM - Reaction & Thought  (Read 86105 times)

Offline hidesert

• Alma
Re: 8 Oscars Nominations for BBM - Reaction & Thought
« Reply #120 on: Feb 03, 2006, 01:53 PM »
Yes it is a good article "Aela" - http://www.laweekly.com/index.php?option=com_lawcontent&task=view&id=12564&Itemid=116

"Hey, Academy, what are you worried about: that you’ll turn gay or, worse, get a stiffie by just the hint of hunk-on-hunk action?"

It wouldn't surprise me if BBM walked away with only one Oscar, Ange Lee for Best Director.  Academy voters have been fickle in the past and they may repeat it again this year.  Hollywood like many other parts of this country is full of "surface liberals" who speak progressive words but act conservatively.  I didn't take the Larry David article in the NY Times as a totally satirical commentary.

As for the "gay sex" thing, it's a joke.  There is more "straight sex" nightly on your TV screen than in BBM.  But I forgot, there is a double standard that must be maintained - straight sex is good and gay sex is bad.

"It’s not that Crash isn’t Oscar-worthy and Brokeback is. Both are good, if flawed, movies. Crash makes up in aesthetic bleakness what it lacks in subtlety — Los Angeles is a city of minorities divided but colliding, duh! — but it’s also gripping and powerful."

Hey BBM is not perfect, but it is different.  The themes in "Crash" have been explored before in films so that isn't new.  Face it, the Academy is composed mostly of Los Angeles area residents and "Crash" is one of those films focused on urban problems.  BBM is a snapshot of rural life in contrast to urban life on the blue coasts, but films and TV are obsessed with urban conflicts.   

"Look, I do understand the degree to which the cowboy has been an iconic figure in motion pictures through the ages."

Historians will tell you that "cowboys" only existed for approximately 15-20 years during the late 1800s.  The "iconic figure" we've been sold is the cowboy genre created by books and movies - in effect cowboy propaganda.  Many people are uncomfortable disrupting this romantic cowboy image (propaganda) so BBM makes some people very uncomfortable.

« Last Edit: Feb 03, 2006, 06:31 PM by hidesert »

Offline bnjmn3

• Jack
  • BBM: The Best Picture Show
« Reply #121 on: Feb 03, 2006, 02:59 PM »
The cowboy mystique is aligned with the masculine mystique in Western culture.  BBM is treading in dangerous territory.
We can't change it. We will have to stand it.

Offline francis.shim

• aka Jack Nasty who loves you!!!
  • Alma
  • Brokeback Mountain, I swear...
« Reply #122 on: Feb 03, 2006, 05:20 PM »
The cowboy mystique is aligned with the masculine mystique in Western culture.  BBM is treading in dangerous territory.

True enough, but BBM is not going into anything that does not exist.  The true illusion is that all cowboys have that masculine mystique and adheres to that image stoically.  BBM unravels that illusion and makes it plain that real are just human beings who also want to love.

Peace,
Frank

Offline jacktwist

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #123 on: Feb 03, 2006, 06:27 PM »
Unfortunately, I'm afraid that for the reasons given in the LA Weekly article Brokeback will have a pretty hard time at the Oscars.

It looks like the most likely beneficiary of this hidden prejudice will be Crash, and that'll tick me off even further. As much as I love Brokeback, I'm under no illusions that it's a perfect movie. I think that Crash, however, was pretty flawed, especially from a storytelling point of view (I'm what could be called a wannabe writer - lots written, nothing published  :( - so I arrogantly imagine I know about these things). It seemed to rely far too much on unlikely coincidence piled on top of unlikely coincidence: a really cheap out in writing, pretty similar to the 'and then I woke up, it was all a dream' stories that kids write. Add to that I guessed what would happen. This is really bad: I'm notorious for never getting these things (I once even didn't guess the murderer in an Agatha Christie TV movie I'd seen before).

I haven't seen any of the other Best Picture nominees, so I can't make a judgement on them, but if the increasing buzz that Crash will win is true, because of prejudice or anything else, I think it'll be nothing short of larceny.

Oh, and in keeping with the gloomy tome of this post, I predict Brokeback will only win one Oscar, Ang Lee for Best Director. Of course, I hope for all eight...
King of the Road

Offline chameau

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #124 on: Feb 03, 2006, 10:41 PM »
Unfortunately, I'm afraid that for the reasons given in the LA Weekly article Brokeback will have a pretty hard time at the Oscars.

It looks like the most likely beneficiary of this hidden prejudice will be Crash, and that'll tick me off even further. As much as I love Brokeback, I'm under no illusions that it's a perfect movie. I think that Crash, however, was pretty flawed, especially from a storytelling point of view (I'm what could be called a wannabe writer - lots written, nothing published  :( - so I arrogantly imagine I know about these things). It seemed to rely far too much on unlikely coincidence piled on top of unlikely coincidence: a really cheap out in writing, pretty similar to the 'and then I woke up, it was all a dream' stories that kids write. Add to that I guessed what would happen. This is really bad: I'm notorious for never getting these things (I once even didn't guess the murderer in an Agatha Christie TV movie I'd seen before).

I haven't seen any of the other Best Picture nominees, so I can't make a judgement on them, but if the increasing buzz that Crash will win is true, because of prejudice or anything else, I think it'll be nothing short of larceny.

Oh, and in keeping with the gloomy tome of this post, I predict Brokeback will only win one Oscar, Ang Lee for Best Director. Of course, I hope for all eight...

Sorry guys!

I kind of agree with jacktwist, Ang Lee might get it but, I would say best adaptated screenplay will get it too.

I cross my toes for best film.

I cross my toes, legs and fingers, and have a little prayer for Michelle.  :-*

But you know what?

The producers, cast and crew of this so called little film might be proud!

Look at what they got already, look at 8 Oscars nominations.  The BAFTA awards are not in yet.

The most important, BBM got our hearts!

Baw!  :'( :'( :'(

That's it!

chameau is back on the tracks.
La dictature c'est ''ferme ta geule'', la démocratie c'est ''cause toujours''
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline hidesert

• Alma
« Reply #125 on: Feb 04, 2006, 12:27 PM »
I think that Crash, however, was pretty flawed, especially from a storytelling point of view.  It seemed to rely far too much on unlikely coincidence piled on top of unlikely coincidence: a really cheap out in writing, pretty similar to the 'and then I woke up, it was all a dream' stories that kids write. Add to that I guessed what would happen. This is really bad: I'm notorious for never getting these things (I once even didn't guess the murderer in an Agatha Christie TV movie I'd seen before).

You summed up very well my problems with "Crash", thanks jt.

If they are giving out the Best Picture Oscar to the film with the lowest production costs, then "Crash" would get it.  It's reported to have cost $5 million US to make.  And the very large cast (74/75 actors) worked for peanuts.  I commend it in those areas, but I still think BBM is superior and jt has touched on my reasons - it's another urban conflict story with a poor script. 

Just my two cents.

Offline jacktwist

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #126 on: Feb 04, 2006, 02:05 PM »

Sorry guys!

I kind of agree with jacktwist, Ang Lee might get it but, I would say best adaptated screenplay will get it too.

I cross my toes for best film.

I cross my toes, legs and fingers, and have a little prayer for Michelle.  :-*

But you know what?

The producers, cast and crew of this so called little film might be proud!

Look at what they got already, look at 8 Oscars nominations.  The BAFTA awards are not in yet.

The most important, BBM got our hearts!

Baw!  :'( :'( :'(

That's it!

chameau is back on the tracks.

Hey Chameau,

I wish I were as sanguine as you.

I know that I should be satisfied with the way Brokeback has touched me, but I want to shout from the rooftops how great a piece of art it is! When those fools out there don't see, they must be converted. Forcibly if necessary...

Well, perhaps I'm not being totally serious, but if Brokeback doesn't win because of prejudice it'll be a sign of how far this world has to go.

But maybe you're starting to affect me with your positivity... I think you might be right about the adapted screenplay Oscar being possible.

Though I can't get too positive. I'd forget about any serious recognition at the BAFTAs. Being English, I'm well aware of the jingoism that overtakes normally reasonable people on such occasions. Rightly or wrongly, The Constant Gardener is perceived as a British film, so it'll clean up. Having seen it, although worth a look I don't think it holds comparison with Brokeback (and it's been done before: for a better treatment of similar themes see 'Defence of the Realm' directed by Ken Loach), but at the BAFTAs a mediocre British film will beat an excellent US film any time.

Still, I'll watch the BAFTAs and have fun shouting at the TV...
King of the Road

Offline chameau

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #127 on: Feb 04, 2006, 02:10 PM »
Hey Chameau,

I wish I were as sanguine as you.

I know that I should be satisfied with the way Brokeback has touched me, but I want to shout from the rooftops how great a piece of art it is! When those fools out there don't see, they must be converted. Forcibly if necessary...

Well, perhaps I'm not being totally serious, but if Brokeback doesn't win because of prejudice it'll be a sign of how far this world has to go.

But maybe you're starting to affect me with your positivity... I think you might be right about the adapted screenplay Oscar being possible.

Though I can't get too positive. I'd forget about any serious recognition at the BAFTAs. Being English, I'm well aware of the jingoism that overtakes normally reasonable people on such occasions. Rightly or wrongly, The Constant Gardener is perceived as a British film, so it'll clean up. Having seen it, although worth a look I don't think it holds comparison with Brokeback (and it's been done before: for a better treatment of similar themes see 'Defence of the Realm' directed by Ken Loach), but at the BAFTAs a mediocre British film will beat an excellent US film any time.

Still, I'll watch the BAFTAs and have fun shouting at the TV...

Cheers jacktwist!

When are the BAFTAs due BTW?
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
  • No longer using this account: frog123
« Reply #128 on: Feb 04, 2006, 02:12 PM »
It's in the Calendar...but I'll tell you anyway: 19th of February
Support bacteria, they are the only culture some people have!

If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I.
~ Michel Eyquem de Montaigne (1533-1592) ~ (Thankx to gimmejack)

Offline jacktwist

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #129 on: Feb 04, 2006, 02:14 PM »

You summed up very well my problems with "Crash", thanks jt.

If they are giving out the Best Picture Oscar to the film with the lowest production costs, then "Crash" would get it.  It's reported to have cost $5 million US to make.  And the very large cast (74/75 actors) worked for peanuts.  I commend it in those areas, but I still think BBM is superior and jt has touched on my reasons - it's another urban conflict story with a poor script. 

Just my two cents.

Hey Hidesert,

Glad I could help!

I think you've touched on the real issue here: what will the Academy members base their decisions on? I think they might award on a mixture of rewarding such a low cost project and prejudice against Brokeback.

However, I wish they'd award on the basis of how the films in question have touched people's lives, on how this piece of art has truly affected people. Then it'd be no contest. Take a look at the people confessing how they've been moved on some fundamental level by Brokeback, on not just this but on many other boards.

How many such testimonies exist for any of the other films in competition?
King of the Road

Offline Italian_Dude

• Jack + Ennis
  • Love is Never Wrong
« Reply #130 on: Feb 04, 2006, 03:03 PM »
Can they do that?? just NOT watch a movie that is nominated for 8 oscars??? omg I am so mad right now you don't even understand?? Like its nominated and The 'gay sex' is hardly an important factor in the moviie! ughhhhhh!!!  >:(
You and me together
Through the days and nights
I don't worry 'cause
Everything's gonna be all right
People keep talking
They can say what they like
But all I know is everything's gonna be all right..

Offline bbmlover

• Jack
  • Jack - I swear......
« Reply #131 on: Feb 04, 2006, 04:48 PM »

thank you Froggy on this info.

I have been following awards like mad this year.....

Offline chameau

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #132 on: Feb 04, 2006, 05:01 PM »
Can they do that?? just NOT watch a movie that is nominated for 8 oscars??? omg I am so mad right now you don't even understand?? Like its nominated and The 'gay sex' is hardly an important factor in the moviie! ughhhhhh!!!  >:(

Academy Awards always been tricky, if I could say so. 
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
  • No longer using this account: frog123
« Reply #133 on: Feb 04, 2006, 07:39 PM »

thank you Froggy on this info.
I have been following awards like mad this year.....

Me too, and my friend is trying to get me tickets for the BAFTAS!!!!!! ;D
Support bacteria, they are the only culture some people have!

If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I.
~ Michel Eyquem de Montaigne (1533-1592) ~ (Thankx to gimmejack)

Offline chameau

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #134 on: Feb 04, 2006, 07:49 PM »
Me too, and my friend is trying to get me tickets for the BAFTAS!!!!!!

She just killed me!  :o

I'm jealous....
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline hidesert

• Alma
« Reply #135 on: Feb 04, 2006, 07:49 PM »
However, I wish they'd award on the basis of how the films in question have touched people's lives, on how this piece of art has truly affected people. Then it'd be no contest. Take a look at the people confessing how they've been moved on some fundamental level by Brokeback, on not just this but on many other boards.  How many such testimonies exist for any of the other films in competition? 

Yeah it shows the power of BBM the short story and the movie and it may yet influence Academy voters.  I hope it does.

It is key for BBM to maintain momentum with Academy voters from now until February 28th when balloting ends.  Remember last year it looked like "The Aviator" would be The Picture, but "Million Dollar Baby" ended up with the Oscar.   

Academy voters are people and people get bored with movies, subjects, places etc and constantly move on to something new.  We're very dedicated fans of the movie and we'll never get bored with it but we're out of the ordinary.   

Can they do that?? just NOT watch a movie that is nominated for 8 oscars???

The Academy offers members every opportunity to see nominated films.  They even have a little theatre for these screenings: http://www.oscars.org/facilities/theaterops/alt.html
And studios mail out free DVD screeners to Academy voters.   No one makes them watch every nominated film.

Academy members can do what they want with their ballots.  Stories have circulated for years that some members give their ballots to family or even their secretaries to complete.  There aren't any Oscar police patroling the balloting.

Offline bnjmn3

• Jack
« Reply #136 on: Feb 04, 2006, 08:52 PM »
Clint Eastwood and his popularity put Million Dollar Baby over the top.. Hollywood folks have something against Scorsese in general, and Hollywood doesnt appreciate having the truth told about one of their own (the Aviator)...oh, but they love Ang...Crash (racism) is similar to Traffic (drugs)---one of those accaimed films Academy  usually runs away from with heavy, gritty issue-oriented films..maybe they'll look at Crash the same way, too. Who knows...

Offline bnjmn3

• Jack
« Reply #137 on: Feb 04, 2006, 09:03 PM »
Check this link out...

http://trak.to/oscar

Offline hidesert

• Alma
« Reply #138 on: Feb 04, 2006, 09:14 PM »
Clint Eastwood and his popularity put Million Dollar Baby over the top.. Hollywood folks have something against Scorsese in general, and Hollywood doesnt appreciate having the truth told about one of their own (the Aviator)

Hollywood does love their actors-turned-directors and Eastwood is one of the best.  I laughed when Ange referred to Eastwood at the Golden Globes as "The Man". 

Yeah Scorsese is a brilliant director and his films are gritty and disturbing, but personally they don't all appeal to me.  I think the appeal of Ange Lee is that he has directed different types of films - from Chinese martial arts to British period to an American Western to a comicbook character to BBM ....  Ange is a versatile director and young American directors should take note of that if they want to be successful.

« Last Edit: Feb 04, 2006, 09:22 PM by hidesert »

Offline frenchcda

• Laments of the hearts
  • Ennis
« Reply #140 on: Feb 05, 2006, 02:40 AM »
very interesting article, we will have to wait and pray they get the nod and take home the statues

« Last Edit: Apr 22, 2006, 05:19 PM by Frog123 »
       what is a belief if not a lack of knowing

My wounds are deeper than your desires

www.wordsofpeace.com

Offline francis.shim

• Alma
« Reply #141 on: Feb 05, 2006, 10:11 AM »
very interesting article, we will have to wait and pray they get the nod and take home the statues

Heath and Jake would have made the cutest couple! *sigh*

Jack Nasty just loves them!!!

Peace,
Frank (aka Jack Nasty)

Offline Mykey

• Cassie
« Reply #142 on: Feb 05, 2006, 10:46 AM »
I really don't give a lot of credit to the Academy in determining what's "Best"...so many factions, political and financial considerations and petty jealousies can be a part of their decisions...

From the beginning (the story, the screenplay, the direction, the acting) Brokeback Mountain is a work of art.  Whether or not AMPAS can recognize that,  it stands on it's own merit..... It's true success can only be measured in the hearts it touches....

Offline hidesert

• Alma
« Reply #143 on: Feb 05, 2006, 07:24 PM »
From the Sydney Morning Herald (Australia) in an article on Oscars and Australians:

But Ledger says he already feels a sense of achievement surrounding his role in Brokeback Mountain, which has nothing to do with being nominated for an Oscar.

"It's good to keep your head about it, that it is manufactured and it's really [a] false sense of success and failure," he said. "We've already done our job. The success for us is that Annie Proulx, who wrote the short story [Brokeback Mountain] wrote us all letters approving of our performances. That was the best feeling, pleasing her. To do that was about as successful as you can get."

Finally some recognition for Annie Proulx.  If she hadn't tortured herself for six months writing BBM, there would be no nominations or awards for anyone.  Heath Ledger seems to have it all in perspective. 

Offline Toadily

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
  • "Friend, we got ourselves a situation here"
« Reply #144 on: Feb 05, 2006, 10:25 PM »
You know I know I have been one here to say "hey the awards don't matter *too* much" etc but one thing that bothers me is
We know Ang will win and it will likely win best picture...so if Heath and Jake don't win it's like "hey the big wise director
got these great performance out of the young whipper snappers" and it's not like A) these guys are kids or B) it was all like manipulated out of them, I mean without the great performance this movie could have fallen flat.  Ang said himself that Jake
stepped up in some kissing/sex scenes and bared it all emotionally.  And Heath we know got under Enni's skin, in ways that
went beyond direction. I dunno, I say sweep baby!  Even though it won't probably happen.
"it's Love, Blockhead!"
-Pierre Marivaux  The Triumph of Love

"To love an idea is to love it a little more than one should."  -Jean Rostand

Offline chameau

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #145 on: Feb 05, 2006, 10:33 PM »
You know I know I have been one here to say "hey the awards don't matter *too* much" etc but one thing that bothers me is
We know Ang will win and it will likely win best picture...so if Heath and Jake don't win it's like "hey the big wise director
got these great performance out of the young whipper snappers" and it's not like A) these guys are kids or B) it was all like manipulated out of them, I mean without the great performance this movie could have fallen flat.  Ang said himself that Jake
stepped up in some kissing/sex scenes and bared it all emotionally.  And Heath we know got under Enni's skin, in ways that
went beyond direction. I dunno, I say sweep baby!  Even though it won't probably happen.

I stand by you Toadily!  Big time!  The Academy will spread awards, there and there.  I don't want to rain on anyone's parade but I keep my expectations for performing awards very low.  I'n my heart they're all winners .  At least Ang should get it.  Best film, chances are they will do it.  Best adaptated screenplay for me is a give in.  For the rest, any other award will be a bonus for me.
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline francis.shim

• Alma
« Reply #146 on: Feb 06, 2006, 04:53 AM »
Howdy...

Hey... I reckon I'll give'em the "PEOPLE'S CHOICE AWARDS"!!!!  ... and have all the nominees from all the competing movies present the awards to the BBM cast and crew!!!  That'll be a great addition to all the Oscars they get!!

Peace,
Frank (aka Jack Nasty)

Offline hidesert

• Alma
« Reply #147 on: Feb 10, 2006, 09:54 PM »
As I mentioned before, everyone knows this goes on, Jackson is just being honest:

Samuel L. Jackson Allows Family, Employees To Vote for Oscar Contenders

Samuel L. Jackson risks losing his membership to the Academy Of Motion Pictures, Arts And Sciences after confessing he lets his family fill out his Academy Award nominations form. The actor is among an elite group invited to choose the winners of the most prestigious prize in the awards calendar. However, Jackson admits he has grown bored of the process and leaves his Oscar screener DVDs and forms lying around his home for others to choose their favorite actors and films.

He tells FOX News reporter Bill McCuddy, "The maid has watched them (the nominees), the cook's probably watched a lot of them, the nanny has too. And they go by and put their check marks down on the ballot because they know you're not going to do it. And then the assistant goes by - 'Oh, it's time for the ballot to go in. Oh, he hasn't filled this in. (Checking boxes) I like this, I like this,' and they send it in."

He added, "I generally go down the ballot and look and see if any of my friends are nominated and I vote for them. Then I leave the ballot there for my wife to vote for all the other films that she watched that I knew I wasn't gonna watch, like the chick flicks or the flicks that I thought were gonna put me to sleep. I trust her opinion. And then we send the ballot in."

Anyone nominated for an Oscar automatically becomes a lifetime member of AMPAS - you don't need to win.  And members get to vote.

Offline chameau

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #148 on: Feb 10, 2006, 10:02 PM »
As I mentioned before, everyone knows this goes on, Jackson is just being honest:

Samuel L. Jackson Allows Family, Employees To Vote for Oscar Contenders

Samuel L. Jackson risks losing his membership to the Academy Of Motion Pictures, Arts And Sciences after confessing he lets his family fill out his Academy Award nominations form. The actor is among an elite group invited to choose the winners of the most prestigious prize in the awards calendar. However, Jackson admits he has grown bored of the process and leaves his Oscar screener DVDs and forms lying around his home for others to choose their favorite actors and films.

He tells FOX News reporter Bill McCuddy, "The maid has watched them (the nominees), the cook's probably watched a lot of them, the nanny has too. And they go by and put their check marks down on the ballot because they know you're not going to do it. And then the assistant goes by - 'Oh, it's time for the ballot to go in. Oh, he hasn't filled this in. (Checking boxes) I like this, I like this,' and they send it in."

He added, "I generally go down the ballot and look and see if any of my friends are nominated and I vote for them. Then I leave the ballot there for my wife to vote for all the other films that she watched that I knew I wasn't gonna watch, like the chick flicks or the flicks that I thought were gonna put me to sleep. I trust her opinion. And then we send the ballot in."

Anyone nominated for an Oscar automatically becomes a lifetime member of AMPAS - you don't need to win.  And members get to vote.

Thanks!

Good news for me,

Denis Arcand (nominated for best original screenplay two years ago), and his producer and wife, Denise Robert (winner for best movie in a foreign language, Barbarian Invasions) could vote.  A pair of sensible and bright human beings.  :D
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline hidesert

• Alma
« Reply #149 on: Feb 10, 2006, 10:25 PM »
Good news for me,

Denis Arcand (nominated for best original screenplay two years ago), and his producer and wife, Denise Robert (winner for best movie in a foreign language, Barbarian Invasions) could vote.  A pair of sensible and bright human beings.  :D

The Academy always needs more "...sensible and bright human beings."

If nothing else, Heath, Jake and Michelle will always have their AMPAS membership.