Author Topic: Do you think that the girls know their dad like his guy?  (Read 8678 times)

Offline cybernaut

• Alma
I am sure that Jack pops up once in a while when the girls are around and that twice a year fishing trips over twenty years.

The girls must have thought of something... I remember when Alma said at the sink after thanksgiving, "Me and the girls worried you being alone so much..."

I guess that "this thing that grab hold of us" cannot be hidden. Jack's family knew it, Alma knew it, Lureen knew it too...  :(

Besides I felt that Alma was already having an affair with Ronald... More of a "tit for tat" thingy.

Your thoughts?
I'm saying a prayer of thanks... that you didn't bring your harmonica!

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
Re: Do you think that the girls know their dad like his guy?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2006, 03:27 PM »
I am sure that Jack pops up once in a while when the girls are around and that twice a year fishing trips over twenty years.

The girls must have thought of something... I remember when Alma said at the sink after thanksgiving, "Me and the girls worried you being alone so much..."

I guess that "this thing that grab hold of us" cannot be hidden. Jack's family knew it, Alma knew it, Lureen knew it too...  :(

Besides I felt that Alma was already having an affair with Ronald... More of a "tit for tat" thingy.

Your thoughts?

Personally, I think Alma Jr. knew.  'He's not the marrying kind.' - could be a hint.  During the double date scene with Cassie and her dad, Alma Jr.  did not look comfortable.  It could be that he did not want another rival in her dad's affections.  But something tells me that she knew better that this affair with Cassie was bound to go bad.

Also, something must have been discussed AFTER the thanksgiving scene.  The girls should have heard things over the years.  It is hard to believe that Alma's second husband Munrow did NOT know.  There is perhaps some truth to Ennis' paranoia. Some people in Riverton must have known...
« Last Edit: Feb 03, 2006, 03:29 PM by tpe »

JerBear418720

« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2006, 03:52 PM »

Your thoughts?

Personally, I think Alma Jr. knew.  'He's not the marrying kind.' - could be a hint.  During the double date scene with Cassie and her dad, Alma Jr.  did not look comfortable.  It could be that he did not want another rival in her dad's affections.  But something tells me that she knew better that this affair with Cassie was bound to go bad.

Also, something must have been discussed AFTER the thanksgiving scene.  The girls should have heard things over the years.  It is hard to believe that Alma's second husband Munrow did NOT know.  There is perhaps some truth to Ennis' paranoia. Some people in Riverton must have known...

I think Junior had a least a clue.  She is SO like Ennis, and she obviously adored him and was close to him.  Maybe after the Thanksgiving debacle she KNEW not to say anything or try and draw her Dad out - she might have known to "let be".  I might get hammered for this, but I think that, in general, women tend to be more intuitive, anyway.

Offline manila_rocks

• Lureen
« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2006, 03:59 PM »
I think Junior is a very savvy young girl and did have some awareness.  Also, perhaps Alma shared the kiss she observed between ennis/jack with Junior after she got a bit older.  They may have had some girl talk discussion about why the divorce really happened.

I think munrow appears a bit gay myself.

Offline cybernaut

• Alma
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2006, 09:25 PM »
I think Junior had a least a clue.  She is SO like Ennis, and she obviously adored him and was close to him.  Maybe after the Thanksgiving debacle she KNEW not to say anything or try and draw her Dad out - she might have known to "let be".  I might get hammered for this, but I think that, in general, women tend to be more intuitive, anyway.

I like Alma Junior... even though she doesn't put out too many opinions of her own, she asks questions, draws smiles on Ennis... Obviously she loves her daddy. The scene after the brawl between Ennis and Alma shows the girls love their daddy more than mummy. Its hard for children to choose sides especially after the divorce.

As for Cassy... Well, you guys should know by now that Ennis and Jack don't really know how to deal with women. (Neither do I).

If there is an extension to the movie, I hope the girls characters can be explored : They found out about their dad's orientation and still offer their unconditional love to him because that's the only closest family he has.

Offline rikcub

• Lureen
« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2006, 09:29 PM »

Your thoughts?

Not too sure about the younger daughter as her character was not as fully developed however....when Alma Jr. tells Cassie "Maybe his ain't the marrying kind"......yep...she knows and does not care. :-*

Offline camom

• Alma
« Reply #6 on: Feb 04, 2006, 03:35 AM »

I like Alma Junior... even though she doesn't put out too many opinions of her own, she asks questions, draws smiles on Ennis... Obviously she loves her daddy. The scene after the brawl between Ennis and Alma shows the girls love their daddy more than mummy. Its hard for children to choose sides especially after the divorce.

Yes, I saw that, too.  Their mom is in the house crying, yet both girls run out after Ennis.  Very telling.  I've read articles where conservative Christians attack the movie because it supposedly advocates breaking up families and leaving children "bereft of a father."  Those girls didn't seem very bereft to me, and certainly better adjusted than some kids I know who are from intact families.  Ennis is clearly a responsible and caring father.

Alma Jr. doesn't say much, but you can tell she's got a brain.  If she wasn't told outright by Alma, I'm sure she put two and two together.  It's very hard to keep secrets from your kids.

camom 

Offline camom

• Alma
« Reply #7 on: Feb 04, 2006, 03:37 AM »

Yes, I saw that, too.  Their mom is in the house crying, yet both girls run out after Ennis.  Very telling.  I've read articles where conservative Christians attack the movie because it supposedly advocates breaking up families and leaving children "bereft of a father."  Those girls didn't seem very bereft to me, and certainly better adjusted than some kids I know who are from intact families.  Ennis is clearly a responsible and caring father.

Alma Jr. doesn't say much, but you can tell she's got a brain.  If she wasn't told outright by Alma, I'm sure she put two and two together.  It's very hard to keep secrets from your kids.

camom 

Oops, sorry.  That quote was from Cybernaut.  I cut the wrong name.  Mea culpa.

camom

Offline cybernaut

• Alma
« Reply #8 on: Feb 04, 2006, 11:27 AM »
Yes, I saw that, too.  Their mom is in the house crying, yet both girls run out after Ennis.  Very telling. 

Another scene that I liked and giggled.. Ennis was so focused in grabbing his gear for his "Ennis and Jack Fishing Trip", when the Junior asked him, "Daddy daddy, can you bring us to the church on the weekend, please, please"...

He said, "So long as you girls don't make me sing!" and made that grinning look at them. The girls giggled  :D
The one who was wound up super-tight was Alma... :(

Yep, Junior was daddy's little girl. :)

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #9 on: Feb 04, 2006, 12:56 PM »
Yes, I saw that, too.  Their mom is in the house crying, yet both girls run out after Ennis.  Very telling. 

Another scene that I liked and giggled.. Ennis was so focused in grabbing his gear for his "Ennis and Jack Fishing Trip", when the Junior asked him, "Daddy daddy, can you bring us to the church on the weekend, please, please"...

He said, "So long as you girls don't make me sing!" and made that grinning look at them. The girls giggled  :D
The one who was wound up super-tight was Alma... :(

Yep, Junior was daddy's little girl. :)

Ditto!

Thanks for your postings friends, great topic!
La dictature c'est ''ferme ta geule'', la démocratie c'est ''cause toujours''
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline Cowboy Cody

• Jack + Ennis
  • Here I IS!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 04, 2006, 10:23 PM »
Children are more perceptive than adults. They know without asking because their intuition hasn't been dulled by daily reality yet. I've found my nieces don't ask, but they don't need to. The only person who I go on and on about is my bf. And they know that I've never dated a person of the opposite sex.
You were goin' up there to go fishin'....NO SHIT! GIMME SEX!

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #11 on: Feb 04, 2006, 11:57 PM »
Children are more perceptive than adults. They know without asking because their intuition hasn't been dulled by daily reality yet.

That's a good one!  ;)
La dictature c'est ''ferme ta geule'', la démocratie c'est ''cause toujours''
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline cybernaut

• Alma
« Reply #12 on: Feb 05, 2006, 12:05 AM »
Children are more perceptive than adults. They know without asking because their intuition hasn't been dulled by daily reality yet. I've found my nieces don't ask, but they don't need to. The only person who I go on and on about is my bf. And they know that I've never dated a person of the opposite sex.

From the movie, Junior wants to stay with his daddy (what about Jennie?), I didn't quite understand why, I thought the excuse of mom being strict was not really the reason, but as usual her daddy shrugs her off.  :(

Hey Cody, do your nieces sit beside you and listen to your stories? They must be imaging that you guys are the real-life inseparatable Batman and Robin! haha.  ;D

Offline camom

• Alma
« Reply #13 on: Feb 05, 2006, 02:46 AM »
One scene that I thought was really sweet was at that Thanksgiving dinner when Ennis is at Alma & Munroe's house and all the grownups are so...tense.  Jr. asks Ennis to tell about his days riding broncs, and he says it didn't last at all, and then he says that lovely line about not having wings like Jr. and Jenny.  The way Jenny's eyes are lit up when she looks at him...  Then it all blows up later, of course, but what a touching moment.

Ennis has his faults, but his daughters adore him. 

camom

Offline cybernaut

• Alma
« Reply #14 on: Feb 05, 2006, 03:46 AM »
camom: Despite his faults, he never neglects his daughters... well, at least he brings a smile to their faces.
The same with Jack, he was concerned about Bobby's schooling...

Is AP telling us that gay dads are cool? ;)

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
  • No longer using this account: frog123
« Reply #15 on: Feb 05, 2006, 10:42 AM »

;D
Support bacteria, they are the only culture some people have!

If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I.
~ Michel Eyquem de Montaigne (1533-1592) ~ (Thankx to gimmejack)

Offline Cowboy Cody

• Jack + Ennis
  • Here I IS!
« Reply #16 on: Feb 05, 2006, 11:52 AM »

From the movie, Junior wants to stay with his daddy (what about Jennie?), I didn't quite understand why, I thought the excuse of mom being strict was not really the reason, but as usual her daddy shrugs her off.  :(

Hey Cody, do your nieces sit beside you and listen to your stories? They must be imaging that you guys are the real-life inseparatable Batman and Robin! haha.  ;D

Actually they do listen...sometimes.  Batman and Robin? Are ya joshin'? WE both can't be batman, and I'm not gonna be no Robin

Actually he prefers Captain America, Me: The Green Lantern (either one)
You were goin' up there to go fishin'....NO SHIT! GIMME SEX!

Offline cybernaut

• Alma
« Reply #17 on: Feb 05, 2006, 07:15 PM »
Awww... Remember to put on that cape.... and underwear outside the  overalls! haha. :D