Author Topic: 40 Years- Damn  (Read 21953 times)

Offline LuvJackNasty

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
40 Years- Damn
« on: Jun 06, 2007, 09:50 PM »
I know it's still early in the month but our beloved boys have an important date to commemorate ~ The 40th Anniversary of the Reunion Kiss. <^( This is the place to put your tribute to our boys and celebrate the day they found each other again.

June 24, 1967

The fourth summer since Brokeback came on and in June Ennis had a general delivery letter from Jack Twist, the first sign of life in all that time.

Friend this letter is long over due. Hope you get it. Heard you was in Riverton, Im coming thru on the 24th, thought I’d stop and buy you a beer, Drop me a line if you can, say if your there.

The return address was Childress, Texas. Ennis wrote back, you bet, gave the Riverton address.

Late in the afternoon, thunder growling, that same old green pickup truck rolled in and he saw Jack get out of the truck, beat up Resistol tilted back.
A hot jolt scalded Ennis and he was out on the landing pulling the door closed behind him.

Jack took the stairs two and two. They seized each other by the shoulders, hugged mightily, squeezing the breath out of each other, saying, son of a bitch, son of a bitch,

then, as easily as the right key turns the lock tumblers, their mouths came together, and hard, Jack’s big teeth bringing blood, his hat falling to the floor, stubble rasping, wet saliva welling,

the door opening and Alma looking out for a few seconds at Ennis’s straining shoulders and shutting the door again and still they clinched, pressing chest and groin and thigh and leg together, treading on each other’s toes

until they pulled apart to breathe and Ennis, not big on endearments, said what he said to his horses and daughters, little darlin.

:cr) Happy 40 Years Boys!  :cr)
“What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close, the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger."

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not the only one I hope someday you'll join us And the world will live as one ~ Imagine- J. Lennon

Offline FlwrChild

• Jack + Ennis
Re: 40 Years- Damn
« Reply #1 on: Jun 07, 2007, 10:24 AM »
 <^( I love this scene! What a wonderful tribute. :clap:

Annie Proulx's words here are amazing and I still can't believe how perfectly Ang Lee and the boys brought this moment in the story to life (with credit to Diana Ossana and Larry McMurtry as well). (:)

I know a lot of people have strong feelings about this scene so I hope we'll see a lot of posts here. :)

For my own tribute, I humbly submit a little piece of my heart's response to the reunion:

Four Years

Four years. Damn.

Four years since brown eyes had turned away from blue and disappeared down that dusty stretch of road.

Four years of head down, follow the set path, try to forget what freedom and happiness taste like.

Son of a bitch, son of a bitch.

Two bodies making up for lost time. Pressed together in a dance meant only for them. Desperately holding on in case the song ends once again too soon.

One summer never forgotten, mountain fire reignited in a tangle of limbs.

A force of nature which can neither be predicted nor controlled.

Four years.

Two hearts.

One embrace.

And a softly whispered phrase that went straight to Jack’s soul, claiming him for all time.

“Little darlin.”
For a moment in our lives. Forever in our hearts.

"They were respectful of each other’s opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had been expected." ~ BBM Short Story

There are three ways to ultimate success:
The first way is to be kind. The second way is to be kind. The third way is to be kind. (Mister Rogers)

Offline NoReins

• Jack + Ennis
  • Redlined it all the way
« Reply #2 on: Jun 07, 2007, 01:48 PM »
Yeah...40 years. God, that's a long time - if only they could really have had all those years together :\'( :\'(

Sorry, not going to get melancholy here. This is a great idea for a thread, a wonderful tribute to one of my favourite bits of both the short story and the movie and a great start with the pictures accompanying Annie's words and also FlwrChild's beautiful tribute. I don't have the talent for that, but here's my absolute favourite moment from the reunion

Everything about that picture just screams out their love for one another - the look on Jack's face, Ennis' hand on his cheek and the gentle nuzzle a promise of more intimacy to come. Just beautiful <^( <^( <^(
He will be eternally missed, but he will never be forgotten

Christopher Nolan, accepting the Best Supporting Actor Golden Globe on Heath's behalf.

He was, as an actor and a professional and a human being, one of a kind

Charles Roven, accepting Heath's BAFTA.

This award tonight would have humbly validated Heath's quiet determination to be truly accepted by you all here — his peers within an industry he so loved.

Kim Ledger, accepting Heath's Oscar.

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #3 on: Jun 07, 2007, 05:30 PM »
Thanks Michelle for the brilliant idea!  :clap:

It makes me melancholic but this scene is a milestone in the movie history.

Damned I love these boys!  <^(
La dictature c'est ''ferme ta geule'', la démocratie c'est ''cause toujours''
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline BBBOY

• Brokeback Junkie
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Ya know I ain't straight Me neither
« Reply #4 on: Jun 07, 2007, 08:23 PM »
Two boys, caught in a destiny they could not expect nor predict. My heart still calls out to them, "make it right for yourselves, make it right." And they did all they could, and it was not enough.  :\'( Thank you for this thread Michelle.  :^^)
There was some open space between what he knew and what he tried to believe, but nothing could be done about it, and if you can't fix it you've got to stand it.

Ennis, riding against the wind back to the sheep in the treacherous, drunken darken light, thought he'd never had such a good time, felt he could paw the white out of the moon.

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #5 on: Jun 07, 2007, 09:30 PM »
If Jack didn't die and they had their sweetlife, they would be 63 years old each and most probably grand-dads  :-\\
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline BBBOY

• Brokeback Junkie
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #6 on: Jun 07, 2007, 09:42 PM »
If Jack didn't die and they had their sweetlife, they would be 63 years old each and most probably grand-dads  :-\\

And as a youngster of 60 I'd be out for their bods!  >:D
There was some open space between what he knew and what he tried to believe, but nothing could be done about it, and if you can't fix it you've got to stand it.

Ennis, riding against the wind back to the sheep in the treacherous, drunken darken light, thought he'd never had such a good time, felt he could paw the white out of the moon.

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #7 on: Jun 07, 2007, 09:48 PM »
I doubt they would cheat on each other ::)
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline LuvJackNasty

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #8 on: Jun 07, 2007, 09:52 PM »
 :\'( I am getting so weepy reading the posts so far. It's hard to pick one moment from that reunion. Those few moments are a story in themselves. Four years of all the things they wanted to say and dared to hope for came out in that explosive kiss: "I want you"; "I missed you"; "I need you"; "I thought you forgot about me"; "Never"; "I wish I never let you go". Those dreams coming to fruition, that wish whispered across the miles being granted. I always cry during this scene because it's just so powerful- so much raw emotion between those two. I love when Jack goes back at Ennis with the kiss- the look in his eyes- the mix of tears, disbelief and shock is so intense. Ennis throwing caution to the wind because he is so overcome with seeing his Jack again.

This is not the best cap but it has that Jack look I love so much in this scene:

And this- Just them so spent from unleashing four years of longing (and that was just the start- there's Motel Siesta too  ;) )

This is my favorite bit from this passage in the SS: as easily as the right key turns the lock tumblers It just conveys so much meaning in a few words.  <^(
“What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close, the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger."

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not the only one I hope someday you'll join us And the world will live as one ~ Imagine- J. Lennon

Offline BBBOY

• Brokeback Junkie
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #9 on: Jun 07, 2007, 09:56 PM »

This is my favorite bit from the whole passage in the SS: as easily as the right key turns the lock tumblers It just conveys so much meaning in a few words.  <^(

I couldn't agree more Michelle, those words just convey so much. I had such a rotten day yesterday I just had to come home and read the SS again. There I was on my balcony, tears streaming down my face worried not about my day but about Ennis and Jack. I'm  :i

Offline FlwrChild

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #10 on: Jun 07, 2007, 10:01 PM »
For me too LJN. And that look and the nuzzle undo me every time. <^(

And more than the passion, more than the heat (of which there is plenty), I am just overwhelmed by their need, their desperation, and the knowledge that this is just a brief moment in time for them that they don't get to keep. :-\\

What a mix of joy, sadness and passion. Messes with my heart.

"They were respectful of each other’s opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had been expected." ~ BBM Short Story

The first way is to be kind. The second way is to be kind. The third way is to be kind. (Mister Rogers)

Offline BBBOY

• Brokeback Junkie
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #11 on: Jun 07, 2007, 10:09 PM »
For me too LJN. And that look and the nuzzle undo me every time. <^(

And more than the passion, more than the heat (of which there is plenty), I am just overwhelmed by their need, their desperation, and the knowledge that this is just a brief moment in time for them that they don't get to keep. :-\\

What a mix of joy, sadness and passion. Messes with my heart.

Well said Barb, very well said.  :^^)

Offline LuvJackNasty

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #12 on: Jun 07, 2007, 10:13 PM »
Me too Barb  :\'( Time to re-stock the tissues- it's going to be a weepy month. It's so bittersweet- happiness in small doses for our boys.  :-\\

Offline FlwrChild

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #13 on: Jun 07, 2007, 10:27 PM »
On the one hand, they had it. In a way that some of us never will. On the other hand, the world wouldn't let them keep it. Talk about a blessing and a curse. :-\\

Offline BBBOY

• Brokeback Junkie
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #14 on: Jun 07, 2007, 10:28 PM »
On the one hand, they had it. In a way that some of us never will. On the other hand, the world wouldn't let them keep it. Talk about a blessing and a curse. :-\\

The yen and yang of life.

Offline jacks_key

• Jack + Ennis
  • We'll always have Brokeback...
« Reply #15 on: Jun 08, 2007, 06:20 PM »
Yeah...40 years. God, that's a long time - if only they could really have had all those years together :\'( :\'(

Sorry, not going to get melancholy here. This is a great idea for a thread, a wonderful tribute to one of my favourite bits of both the short story and the movie and a great start with the pictures accompanying Annie's words and also FlwrChild's beautiful tribute. I don't have the talent for that, but here's my absolute favourite moment from the reunion

Everything about that picture just screams out their love for one another - the look on Jack's face, Ennis' hand on his cheek and the gentle nuzzle a promise of more intimacy to come. Just beautiful <^( <^( <^(

My absolute favorite shot from that scene, that's why it's my avatar.   <^(

Happy Anniversary, Boys!   :c) :c)
Heath Ledger: 1979-2008
Never enough time, never enough.

Offline jackster

• Ennis
  • dumbass missin'
« Reply #16 on: Jun 08, 2007, 06:28 PM »
Hey Ennis, you got a bit a' my slobber on ur' cheek there . . .

Wha, . . damn . . .

:^^) 40 years ago, Damn  :^^)
we get to drinkin' and talkin' an all

Offline boo_boo

• Jack + Ennis
  • Never enough lip & tongue, never enough.
« Reply #17 on: Jun 09, 2007, 08:52 AM »
:\'( I am getting so weepy reading the posts so far. It's hard to pick one moment from that reunion. Those few moments are a story in themselves. Four years of all the things they wanted to say and dared to hope for came out in that explosive kiss: "I want you"; "I missed you"; "I need you"; "I thought you forgot about me"; "Never"; "I wish I never let you go".  Those dreams coming to fruition, that wish whispered across the miles being granted. I always cry during this scene because it's just so powerful- so much raw emotion between those two. I love when Jack goes back at Ennis with the kiss- the look in his eyes- the mix of tears, disbelief and shock is so intense. Ennis throwing caution to the wind because he is so overcome with seeing his Jack again.

Great post LJN.  Those few silent moments between them spoke so much.

I love the look of pure joy on Ennis' face when he's reunited with his Jack. <^(

“Ennis, on a good day it’s hard to understand ya…but when you’re talkin into my ass…I really got no idea what the f*ck you’re saying.” - Missing Motel Moments by haunted_by_bbm

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #18 on: Jun 17, 2007, 12:48 PM »
Great idea for the 40th anniversary of Ennis and Jack's reunion. LJN, thanks for starting this thread.

No one would have thought their paths crossed again in 4 years. When they parted, Jack asked "you gonna do this again next summer?" and Ennis replied "maybe not." Ennis was determined to move on with his marriage and concluded his relationship with Jack was a one shot deal. For Jack, he knew he probably was not going to see him again.

Now here came with a postcard from general delivery - a needle in the hay. Jack found his Ennis again and they reunited. This scene has my heart pondered so hard every single time I see it. From the moment of Ennis's smile when he saw Jack out of the window, saying "Jack F..Twist, to his initiation to hug and kiss Jack fiercely. The emotions are just beyond words. Neither Jack expected to be like this.

It is powerful because it was the first time Ennis let out of his emotions and not holding back (even risking that Alma may see it upstairs). I think it was the deciding moment for their relationship to last.   

Remembering Pierre (chameau) 1960-2015, a "Capricorn bro and crazy Frog Uncle from the North Pole." You are missed

Offline lamusica

• Ennis
« Reply #19 on: Jun 17, 2007, 09:54 PM »
In this case, absence certainly DID make the heart grow fonder.  I agree that this sccene and the motel scene clinch their relationship for all time.  They had just re-found one another and this time, by God, they weren't going to part and go their own way without some promises being made to hook up again.  it wasn't going to be as often and thoroughly as Jack wanted, but it would have to do, and it did for twenty years, at least.
This is also my favorite scene from the whole movie because I think it is the moment when they both knew they had found something very special -- something most people never find.  Whether either man wanted to put a name to it is still something I ponder, but they both knew the other one was part of them.
"Let's put a SSSSMILE on your faceeee!"

Offline City Slickin' Cowboy

• BBM Addict for Life.
  • Jack + Ennis
  • It's A BBM Love Affair
« Reply #20 on: Jun 17, 2007, 10:13 PM »
I just happened to stumble across this thread. 

"Jack F*ckn Twist!"
"Sonofabitch!"

Two simple phrases that lead up to the greatest reunion moment of two soul mates! <^( <^(
A reminder Brokies...there is no known cure for PBS.  It's merely managed.

Offline titabeille

• Any friend of yours is a friend of mine
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Heath, I swear...
« Reply #21 on: Jun 18, 2007, 06:00 AM »
I just happened to stumble across this thread. 

"Jack F*ckn Twist!"
"Sonofabitch!"

Two simple phrases that lead up to the greatest reunion moment of two soul mates! <^( <^(

O0 CSC, no many words but many expressions on their faces  :clap:
It could be like this, always like this....
Sometimes I miss you so much, I can't understand it.

As you get old you begin to wonder-
what was all that lightning and thunder
actually about ? (Gavin Ewart)

Offline sass

• Alma Jr.
  • Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close,
« Reply #22 on: Jun 18, 2007, 02:11 PM »
This is such a special thread. I consider Brokeback Mountain one of the truly great love stories of my lifetime; it changed my life forever. If Jack had lived, if they  could have  had their sweet life together,  I can't imagine how much happiness they might have experienced.
treading on each other’s toes until they pulled apart to breathe and Ennis, not big on endearments, said what he said to his horses and daughters, “Little darlin.”

Offline titabeille

• Jack + Ennis
  • Heath, I swear...
« Reply #23 on: Jun 21, 2007, 07:36 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO THE REUNION :
The "talking hands"

Shadow play

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #24 on: Jun 25, 2007, 07:52 AM »
I missed this by a day...

How apt that the anniversary fell on Gay Pride.  :)

Today, it would have been this:

Offline titabeille

• Jack + Ennis
  • Heath, I swear...
« Reply #25 on: Jun 25, 2007, 02:12 PM »
This is such a special thread. I consider Brokeback Mountain one of the truly great love stories of my lifetime; it changed my life forever. If Jack had lived, if they  could have  had their sweet life together,  I can't imagine how much happiness they might have experienced.

I agree with you sass ! IF THE WORLD COULD NOT BE SO RUDE !  THEY COULD BE SO HAPPY TOGETHER !

Offline jackster

• Ennis
  • dumbass missin'
« Reply #26 on: Jun 25, 2007, 08:40 PM »
40 years ago tonight, fireside with the boys . . . a comforting hand on a troubled cheek . . .
we get to drinkin' and talkin' an all

Offline LuvJackNasty

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #27 on: Jun 25, 2007, 09:05 PM »
40 years ago tonight, fireside with the boys . . . a comforting hand on a troubled cheek . . .

awww  :\'(

Offline BBBOY

• Brokeback Junkie
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #28 on: Jun 25, 2007, 09:14 PM »
awww  :\'(

Damn, in my mood I didn't need this tonight!  :\'( :\'( :\'(

Offline LuvJackNasty

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #29 on: Jun 25, 2007, 09:17 PM »
"Sendin' up a prayer of thanks..."  "It'd be a sweet life." "Ain't no reins on this one."

(This is my wallpaper on my work pc)