Author Topic: Jake's son  (Read 4069 times)

Sunflower79

Jake's son
« on: Feb 03, 2006, 08:23 PM »
I was just wondering why in the movie there isn't alot of mention of Jack's son. I know they show when its born and again when he is a bit older at the Thanksgiving dinner but I can't seem to think of any other mention of him and the other time I think he is mentioned is the office scene where Jack and Luren are discussing his school and the the teacher. I was so sort of worndering why they never showed anything else. Maybe because Jack didn't have much of a relationship with his son or if they thought it wasn't worth contiuneing in the movie. I was just wondering what others though..thanks :)

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
Re: Jake's son
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2006, 08:40 AM »
I was just wondering why in the movie there isn't alot of mention of Jack's son. I know they show when its born and again when he is a bit older at the Thanksgiving dinner but I can't seem to think of any other mention of him and the other time I think he is mentioned is the office scene where Jack and Luren are discussing his school and the the teacher. I was so sort of worndering why they never showed anything else. Maybe because Jack didn't have much of a relationship with his son or if they thought it wasn't worth contiuneing in the movie. I was just wondering what others though..thanks :)

Sunflower79, I do think Jack did love and care about his son.  This can be gleaned specifically in 2 instances: when he teaches the young boy how to drive a tractor, and when he is the one who usually interacts with Bobby's teacher at school (to the point of being a source of  irritation to Bobby's teacher).

From the Thanksgiving scene, it seems that Bobby attended a boarding school (i.e., he lived on-campus, not with his parents). This is because he said something like 'I'm goin to be under this roof for 2 whole weeks...'  I have not checked the screenplay yet for accuracy.  Someone please correct me if this is not the case...

Offline Rønnaug

• Mod-ChickY brigade
  • Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Eat the banana custard, or die!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2006, 08:44 AM »

Sunflower79, I'm goin to be under this roof for 2 whole weeks

"He says I am going to be eating this food for 2whole weeks "  :)

But I do think jack loved his son, they just didn't need to show it, cause we know jack is capable of showing love. We need to see Ennis interact with his daughter because he is much less capable of this.
No matter how much jell-O you pour in the pool , you still can't walk on water

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2006, 08:56 AM »
"He says I am going to be eating this food for 2whole weeks "  :)

But I do think jack loved his son, they just didn't need to show it, cause we know jack is capable of showing love. We need to see Ennis interact with his daughter because he is much less capable of this.

Thanks Esmereldet for the correction!  And I agree that the did love his son, even if he loved Ennis above all.