Author Topic: News Coverage: October 2007  (Read 12376 times)

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
News Coverage: October 2007
« on: Oct 13, 2007, 06:01 PM »
Please post BBM-related news items for October 2007 here.
« Last Edit: Oct 20, 2007, 08:53 PM by chameau »
La dictature c'est ''ferme ta geule'', la démocratie c'est ''cause toujours''
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline welshwitch

• Jack + Ennis
Re: News Coverage: October 2007
« Reply #1 on: Oct 14, 2007, 07:31 AM »
 ??? Yes, the fact that the thread title is October notwithstanding!  :h) Cham! &*& ;)

What in hell happened to October?

Offline Asali

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #2 on: Oct 20, 2007, 07:45 AM »
An article from todays Daily Telegraph

Heath Comes Out Again
Hollywood's favourite gay cowboy in the Village Heath Ledger could be saddling up for a Brokeback Mountain sequel according to US reports. Word is the Aussie actor is in negotiations to reprise his role as the closeted Ennis Del Mar, with the film centering on the difficult process of coming out and being openly gay in 1963 middle America. The love just got a whole lot tougher. Obvious Jake Gyllenhaal has not signed on.
"People's minds are like parachutes. To function properly they must first be open." - W.G.P.

It use to feel like a mass of dots. But more and more these days, I feel like we're all connected. (Latter Days)

Offline pierralex

• Dreamer forever
  • Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
  • que les moutons aillent se faire foutre
« Reply #3 on: Oct 20, 2007, 08:53 AM »
A sequel?  :s) It would be weird...
"Texans don't drink coffee?"

Offline myprivatejack

• Jack + Ennis
  • It could be like this,just like this...always
« Reply #4 on: Oct 20, 2007, 11:09 AM »
Yes,it would be weird and,if this sequel weren´t done by Ang Lee as it seems,it could be even dramatic for the comparison... ^*) We could speak about this and what kind of story it could tell,right?.
Ennis’s eyes gone bright with shock, mouth opening then closing again. “Love?” Ennis said finally, voice strangling in his throat.

Jack smiled sad. “Yeah, Ennis. Love.” Leaned forward and kissed Ennis’s temple, whispered, “What’d you think it was, all this time?”
("If I asked")
                         ----------------
Heathcliff Andrew Ledger (1979-2008)/Rajel Karen Ashkenazi (1986-2008)
You will be forever in my heart,friends.

Offline ayasha

• scatterheart
  • Jack + Ennis
  • never enough...
« Reply #5 on: Oct 20, 2007, 11:58 AM »
An article from todays Daily Telegraph

Heath Comes Out Again
Hollywood's favourite gay cowboy in the Village Heath Ledger could be saddling up for a Brokeback Mountain sequel according to US reports. Word is the Aussie actor is in negotiations to reprise his role as the closeted Ennis Del Mar, with the film centering on the difficult process of coming out and being openly gay in 1963 middle America. The love just got a whole lot tougher. Obvious Jake Gyllenhaal has not signed on.

I'm probably thinking agaisnt the mainstream but...I'd love a sequel BUT only if Jack comes back too!  :\'( This would be my bet for a plot:

Jack didnt die actually, but he just vanished to start a new life somewhere else. After their last meeting Jack realises Ennis would never carry on with their relationship further than their occasional meetings twice a year and Jack feels devastated. In some previous scene he mentions Lureen's dad would give him a lot of money to disappear of their lives, and that's what he does...He just wanted to vanish also because 'he didn't know how to quit' Ennis and that's what they both really needed.

After all, we only know about Jack's death through Ennis' short conversation with Lureen, and she lies because she was angry and kind of ashamed that Jack eventually left her. Then there's no crave Ennis might visit, Jack's parents didnt attend to his funeral.....But after some years, he comes back to meet Ennis again, and Ennis, who's been crying his lost for years...will never let Jack go again :c)
"And then the day came,
when the risk
to remain tight
in a bud
was more painful
than the risk
it took to blossom"

Anaïs Nin

Offline myprivatejack

• Jack + Ennis
  • It could be like this,just like this...always
« Reply #6 on: Oct 20, 2007, 12:12 PM »
 :clap:  ayashae¡Very good plot¡ Several Brokies spoke about this possibility some time ago and,among others,I deffend it for the same reasons you say.But someone answered that then BBM would lose its main lesson,its innest way of being and the message it brings to us,although it´s sad but not neccesarily negative...
We´re feeling like Jack an Ennis being together so much that we´d become Ang Lee for a while¡. :\'(
Ennis’s eyes gone bright with shock, mouth opening then closing again. “Love?” Ennis said finally, voice strangling in his throat.

Jack smiled sad. “Yeah, Ennis. Love.” Leaned forward and kissed Ennis’s temple, whispered, “What’d you think it was, all this time?”
("If I asked")
                         ----------------
Heathcliff Andrew Ledger (1979-2008)/Rajel Karen Ashkenazi (1986-2008)
You will be forever in my heart,friends.

Offline jackster

• Ennis
  • dumbass missin'
« Reply #7 on: Oct 20, 2007, 01:15 PM »
Personally, I’d like to see Heath take on the role of another gay man in the 60s and the struggle of coming out, I think he’d be fabulous. But NOT Ennis. IMHO Ennis is complete, nothin’ to add or subtract – the artwork is finished. I can’t imagine Heath, let alone Ang or Annie not thinking so too.
we get to drinkin' and talkin' an all

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #8 on: Oct 20, 2007, 01:30 PM »
Personally, I’d like to see Heath take on the role of another gay man in the 60s and the struggle of coming out, I think he’d be fabulous. But NOT Ennis. IMHO Ennis is complete, nothin’ to add or subtract – the artwork is finished. I can’t imagine Heath, let alone Ang or Annie not thinking so too.

I second and if they take the original story where it ended, it's no longer the sixties but 1983, huh?
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline LuvJackNasty

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #9 on: Oct 20, 2007, 01:53 PM »
I saw that on the fan fic site and I think it's a load of crap. To make it about him coming out in 1963 would change the OS, IMO. As much as I want more BBM, there isn't anymore (save some deleted scenes but I'm not talking about that). If we got an extended edition with the deleted scenes in it, I'd be okay or just a new DVD with deleted scenes as extras would work for me too. I can't believe that Annie would okay this or that anyone originally associated with them film would sign on. If this did turn out to be true I don't know if I could watch it.
“What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close, the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger."

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not the only one I hope someday you'll join us And the world will live as one ~ Imagine- J. Lennon

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #10 on: Oct 20, 2007, 02:01 PM »
I verified the sources too... OK Magazine...  ::)  I agree with LJN and the source is nothing but some trash magazine.
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline froggy

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Ennis for Mr Brokeback 2007!!!
« Reply #11 on: Oct 20, 2007, 03:26 PM »
Sorry to dissapoint, but Focus confirmed that this was complete...bullocks!tely wrong!
Support bacteria, they are the only culture some people have!

If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I.
~ Michel Eyquem de Montaigne (1533-1592)

Heath, I swear ...

Offline welshwitch

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #12 on: Oct 21, 2007, 02:01 PM »
Good - it would be like painting the Mona Lisa in a twenties flapper outfit.

Offline Lis

• BBM Addict for Life
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Heath, we swear...
« Reply #13 on: Oct 23, 2007, 01:29 PM »
Thank god, I was worried when I read the article cuz BBM doesn't need a sequal, it was fine just that way it was. And even though I'm a Ennis/Heath fan, it would be a very different story without Jake/Jack in with him. No one or nothing can compete with the orginal Brokeback  <^(
"The day I stop having fun, I'll just walk away." -- Heath Ledger

"For a moment in our lives, forever in our hearts." -- Heath Ledger, 1/22/08

"In the dark, I really felt like I could escape to anywhere.
To a place where anything could happen at any time.
Where chaos could reign but the world would never end."
-- Noah Mayer

As the World Turns -- April 2, 1956 - September 17, 2010

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
Gay Hollywood: Out of Sight?
« Reply #14 on: Oct 25, 2007, 10:55 AM »

Gay Hollywood: Out of Sight?

Almost two years after ''Brokeback Mountain'' raked in $178 million worldwide, no major studio has greenlit a single gay film. What is keeping movies in the closet -- and what should Hollywood be learning from TV?

BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal's cowboy romance commanded the cultural conversation for months. Will it change nothing?

By Adam B. Vary

In the weeks before the 78th annual Academy Awards, Brokeback Mountain producer Diana Ossana already suspected what few outside Hollywood could imagine: Her film was going to lose the Best Picture race. ''Several people told me they knew a lot of Academy voters who just refused to see the film,'' says Ossana, who also co-wrote the screenplay with Larry McMurtry. This tragic love story between two men had dominated the critics' awards and banked $178 million worldwide. It even captivated sellout crowds in states like Oklahoma and Ohio — just not, apparently, in Academy screening rooms. ''What are they afraid of?'' McMurtry asked Ossana. ''It's just a movie.''

But Brokeback was more than a movie. It was a phenomenon that commanded the cultural conversation for months, from Jay Leno to YouTube to the cover of The New Yorker. More important, it proved that straight audiences would snap up tickets to a same-sex romance. Since then, a few gay-themed films have been released (e.g., Notes on a Scandal). But seemingly no studio — nor any studio art-house division — has greenlit a film with a gay lead character. ''I don't think any studio responded by saying, 'Quick, dust off whatever gay dramas we have!''' says one former studio head. As surprising as it seemed that Brokeback could lose the Oscar to Crash, the real shock is just now setting in: Brokeback may have changed nothing.

When audiences complain that Hollywood is out of touch with the rest of the country, it's invariably because a movie is deemed too liberal. When it comes to gay characters, however, it's out of touch for the exact opposite reason. In the past decade, America's attitudes toward homosexuality have shifted, particularly among young people.

A recent national poll of college freshman found that 61 percent approved of gay marriage, up 10 percent from a decade ago. Kids in high school grew up watching Will & Grace and can't recall a time when Ellen wasn't gay. These days, you might catch the gay romance on As the World Turns or get sucked into a bitchy same-sex speed date on MTV's Next. You could be captivated by Dr. Liz Cruz on Nip/Tuck or arrested by Det. Shakima Greggs on The Wire. And, of course, you can watch anything on the gay network, Logo, or the de facto gay network, Bravo. This is not to say that TV is perfect. A recent study by the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation calculated that the number of gay regular characters on scripted network prime-time television had actually declined, to just 1.1 percent. That study didn't look at cable or reality TV, nor the total audience watching those shows. Regardless of whether the number of gay characters is up or down this year, the letters LGBT have become a part of television's alphabet soup, and audiences consume it, in their living rooms, by the millions.

While television has been fostering greater acceptance for gay people, movies remain stuck in the 20th century. Almost two years after Brokeback, the best Hollywood can do with gay content is the ''I'm not gay!'' punchlines of Wild Hogs or the homoerotic homophobia of 300. Even the ''gayest'' studio movie of the year, I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry, climaxed with stars Adam Sandler and Kevin James horrified by the idea of a same-sex kiss. Here's the weird thing: Walt Disney, the company behind Wild Hogs, is the corporate sibling of ABC, which, with Ugly Betty, Brothers & Sisters, and Desperate Housewives, is the most queer-inclusive broadcast network around. So what gives? How can TV shows be so progressive while movies seem so...old?

« Last Edit: Oct 26, 2007, 08:36 AM by tpe »

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #15 on: Oct 25, 2007, 11:08 AM »
Interesting article Thomas, now my 2 cents:  Hollywood is known for years to have been unable to produce good and new screenplays... BTW, they're talking about a remake of The Birds.  ^*()  Leak of imagination doesn't produce good screenplays, that applies to gay oriented stories too, no?  We don't see that often powerfull screenplays like BBM.
« Last Edit: Oct 25, 2007, 11:21 AM by chameau »
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #16 on: Oct 25, 2007, 11:19 AM »
Interesting article Thomas, now my 2 cents:  Hollywood is known for years to have been unable to produce good and new screenplays... BTW, they're talking about a remake of The Birds.  ^*()  Leak of imagination doesn't produce good screenplays, that applies to gay oriented stories too, no?  We don't see that often powerfull screenplays like BBM.

I think you're right, Cham.  It takes a while to gwet something of the calibre of BBM -- story, screenplay, director, cast, music, and all.  The combination was just magical -- it will be hard to get it right!
« Last Edit: Oct 25, 2007, 11:20 AM by chameau »

Offline LuvJackNasty

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #17 on: Oct 25, 2007, 11:26 AM »
Great article, Thomas. In response to McMurty's question "What are they afraid of?"- Well, IMO, it's lots of things but I don't know if I should stand on my soapbox here. Are they (studios) unaware of the following BBM has? I don't think they could ever make anything that could captivate me as much as this movie, but I'd like to see them try to come up with something.

Brokeback may have changed nothing. That sentence makes me sad. I know the film wasn't made as a message or to get people all stirred up. I'm glad it became the phenomenon it did. There can only be one BBM , but it does sadden me that we'releft with so much drivel as opposed to someone telling a real and beautiful story.
“What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close, the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger."

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not the only one I hope someday you'll join us And the world will live as one ~ Imagine- J. Lennon

Offline pierralex

• Dreamer forever
  • Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
  • que les moutons aillent se faire foutre
« Reply #18 on: Oct 25, 2007, 11:45 AM »
Interresting article, thanks tpe  :-*

At least they can't remove what BBM has brought to all of us. In france We've had a gay comedy since BBM... "Poltergay"... I let you imagine...
"Texans don't drink coffee?"

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #19 on: Oct 25, 2007, 02:51 PM »
Great article, Thomas. In response to McMurty's question "What are they afraid of?"- Well, IMO, it's lots of things but I don't know if I should stand on my soapbox here. Are they (studios) unaware of the following BBM has? I don't think they could ever make anything that could captivate me as much as this movie, but I'd like to see them try to come up with something.

Brokeback may have changed nothing. That sentence makes me sad. I know the film wasn't made as a message or to get people all stirred up. I'm glad it became the phenomenon it did. There can only be one BBM , but it does sadden me that we'releft with so much drivel as opposed to someone telling a real and beautiful story.

I think Hollywood in general is unaware of the following that BBM has around the world.  But true, that following is very small compared to the droves of youngsters who eat up all the latest Vampire movies.  ;)

In the end, I supect it is a question of money.  It is easier to make a bad Vampire movie and still get a nice profit, rather than making a fine gay movie, and realize a small one.

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #20 on: Oct 25, 2007, 02:52 PM »
Interresting article, thanks tpe  :-*

At least they can't remove what BBM has brought to all of us. In france We've had a gay comedy since BBM... "Poltergay"... I let you imagine...

Thanks pierraalex!

Poltergay?  ;D   I must check it out!  :)

Offline jackster

• Ennis
  • dumbass missin'
« Reply #21 on: Oct 25, 2007, 08:21 PM »
Very interesting Thomas – You didn’t say where or who Adam Vary was writing for, I’d be curious to know. IMO it’s a case of the glass half empty or half full. I feel that one of the many issues the release of BBM resolved was that now, in 21st century industrialized society, being homosexual is just not the BIG deal it was just 40 years ago. One side effect of this phenomenon may be the fact that it’s, well, just sort of ordinary and humdrum now for much of the culture. Not for all of it by any means, but for much of it. I may get flak for this but I don’t think Jack and Ennis were seen as traditional “gay” characters, like the guys on Will and Grace for instance. They were seen as ordinary men who happened to fall in love with each other. They opened the spectrum by miles; they weren’t designers, actors, or that most overworked hairdresser or florist. I can personally relate much more with Ennis & Jack and their ordinariness than I can with Will & Jack. The statement that Brokeback may have changed nothing – is I feel myopic. Like looking at a freshly planted field of high plains wheat, it looks like the same dirt today as it did yesterday, but the seeds are there and they will begin to grow and in time the field will be transformed.

Also, as Cham says, don’t overlook the basic quality of the artwork itself. How many poorly made movies about homosexual characters are needed? To me this one truly great film will easily fulfill the need for dozens of second and third-rate productions. And lets face it, most Hollywood films are just that, be they mainstream or featuring gay characters. My $0.02.

we get to drinkin' and talkin' an all

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #22 on: Oct 26, 2007, 08:39 AM »
Very interesting Thomas – You didn’t say where or who Adam Vary was writing for, I’d be curious to know. IMO it’s a case of the glass half empty or half full. I feel that one of the many issues the release of BBM resolved was that now, in 21st century industrialized society, being homosexual is just not the BIG deal it was just 40 years ago. One side effect of this phenomenon may be the fact that it’s, well, just sort of ordinary and humdrum now for much of the culture. Not for all of it by any means, but for much of it. I may get flak for this but I don’t think Jack and Ennis were seen as traditional “gay” characters, like the guys on Will and Grace for instance. They were seen as ordinary men who happened to fall in love with each other. They opened the spectrum by miles; they weren’t designers, actors, or that most overworked hairdresser or florist. I can personally relate much more with Ennis & Jack and their ordinariness than I can with Will & Jack. The statement that Brokeback may have changed nothing – is I feel myopic. Like looking at a freshly planted field of high plains wheat, it looks like the same dirt today as it did yesterday, but the seeds are there and they will begin to grow and in time the field will be transformed.

Also, as Cham says, don’t overlook the basic quality of the artwork itself. How many poorly made movies about homosexual characters are needed? To me this one truly great film will easily fulfill the need for dozens of second and third-rate productions. And lets face it, most Hollywood films are just that, be they mainstream or featuring gay characters. My $0.02.

Sorry jackster!  It was from EW.  I added the link, which I neglected to put yesterday.

I know what you mean when you say that they are not traditional.  I think they were groundbreaking in this regard: that there is really no such thing as "traditional" in the wider spheres of gay culture.