Author Topic: From story to screenplay book  (Read 36560 times)

Offline tireiron

• Lureen
Re: From story to screenplay book
« Reply #60 on: Mar 24, 2006, 01:23 AM »
I can't read your name, whether it's T3 or TJ or what, but I told you
I was going to listen to the interview again, and I did, and saw my mistake,
and made an apology.  I guess you didn't see that.  You were right and
I was wrong, and I thought this was settled a week or so ago.
« Last Edit: Mar 24, 2006, 01:35 AM by tireiron »

Offline cortomaltese

• Ennis
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #61 on: Sep 04, 2006, 05:27 PM »
There are three books avaliable

Story to Screenplay is a great one - includes Proulx’s short story, McMurtry and Ossana’s screenplay and essays from all three on the process of adapting the story for the screen. I highly recommend this book. There is also a topic about this HERE

Brokeback Mountain: Now a Major Motion Picture

There is an audible version available.

The LINK will bring you to Amazon for complete list of Brokeback Mountain products including the soundtrack, short story and others.

Close Range is the book written by Annie Proulx which contains the short story of BBM.
Thank you guys!
It's a real pleasure to read your suggestions and comments.
I've heard the wonderful real audio interview of Annie proulx. And I want to buy this book Story to screenplay. It's the birth of the dream of my life.

Offline Hitomi

• Well, why don't you? Why don't you just let me be? It's because of you that I'm like this!Get the fuck off me! I can't stand being like this no more, Jack.
  • Jack
  • Heath is a force of nature
« Reply #62 on: Sep 06, 2006, 08:42 AM »

Thank you guys!
I've heard the wonderful real audio interview of Annie proulx. And I want to buy this book Story to screenplay. It's the birth of the dream of my life.

Dear Corto, I'm with you...I've ordered it yesterday!!!!!!!  &**)
"I'm gonna tell you this one time, Jack fu**in' Twist, an' I ain't foolin'. What I don't know - all them things I don't know - could get you killed if I come to know them. I mean it.". (Ennis to Jack)

Offline cortomaltese

• Ennis
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #63 on: Sep 06, 2006, 08:45 AM »

Thank you guys!

Dear Corto, I'm with you...I've ordered it yesterday!!!!!!!  &**)
Hi welcome Giulia.
ps: I can't dload that file rof nokia 6600 :(

Offline Philip Smith

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #64 on: Mar 09, 2007, 02:08 PM »
I don't know where is post this but oh well...

Here are some sites of the text Story Not Screenplay though...

****edited by moderator****
« Last Edit: Mar 09, 2007, 02:26 PM by chameau »
Such a very beautiful wonderful yet a really sad touching story.

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #65 on: Mar 09, 2007, 07:11 PM »
Hi Brokies, this is a reminder of our guidelines:

Copyright Material

Information copyrighted or owned by any individual or entity other than the person posting should not be posted on the forums or without the consent of the owner. If such an event occurs, the individual posting the information shall be held solely responsible. This forum shall not be held responsible for posted information that may violate copyright law.

The forum will remove any posting of illegal BBM DVD, soundtrack or story downloads.

« Last Edit: Apr 07, 2007, 05:40 PM by chameau »
La dictature c'est ''ferme ta geule'', la démocratie c'est ''cause toujours''
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline Front-Ranger

• Alma Jr.
  • See you up on Brokenback and Estes
« Reply #66 on: Apr 07, 2007, 12:57 PM »
Kindof sad that nobody has had anything to say about the story for a whole month!!

Wow it has been almost 10 years since I first read this story. I hope some of you will join me in celebrating on October 13 of this year, the 10-year anniversary of the story's publication.

See you in May--LauraGigs, brokebackjack, Front-Ranger, LoveEmBoys, EDelMar, and johnbeene with The Truck.

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #67 on: Apr 09, 2007, 07:24 AM »
Kindof sad that nobody has had anything to say about the story for a whole month!!

liga eam in digitis tuis, scribe illam in tabulis cordis tui.

Offline Front-Ranger

• Alma Jr.
  • See you up on Brokenback and Estes
« Reply #68 on: Apr 10, 2007, 11:47 PM »
liga eam in digitis tuis, scribe illam in tabulis cordis tui.

Well, thanks for that, tpe! I see that all your recent posts are in English, except for this one! I'll have to ponder the significance of that! Nice pix of Jake. I prefer Jack myself. Thanks for responding!!
See you in May--LauraGigs, brokebackjack, Front-Ranger, LoveEmBoys, EDelMar, and johnbeene with The Truck.

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #69 on: Apr 11, 2007, 07:12 AM »
Well, thanks for that, tpe! I see that all your recent posts are in English, except for this one! I'll have to ponder the significance of that! Nice pix of Jake. I prefer Jack myself. Thanks for responding!!

You're welcome, Front-Ranger. :)

I make similar posts every now and then, when the spirit moves me, as in yesterday's appreciation I posted in the Jarhead thread...

Offline BBMsheep

• Jack + Ennis
  • Little Darlin'
« Reply #70 on: Dec 28, 2013, 12:23 PM »
I've ordered the "Story to screenplay" book and received it yesterday. I am very late, I know!   ;D  I can't believe I've thought of buying it TWO YEARS after watching the movie for the first time... 

Anyway, I don't regret it. It's a wonderful book for BBM lovers. I've only browsed the pages for now. It's like meet again an old friend in an unusual place... It's so strange to read the description of the scenes and to read the dialogues that I know by heart. Even if there are differences with the final thing.
I haven't read the short story since approximatively one year and a half. I think I will read it again to compare with the screenplay... must be interesting also.

I've read some scenes that are not in the short story (or not developed like in the movie), just to "see" how they are described. Of course it's very tough sometimes. Especially when Jack comes to see Ennis after the divorce...   :_(

Well, I am both happy and scared. I know that PBS is never far from me. And I feel that this book can send me away directly in PBS land...

I hope someone will have the curiosity to stop by this thread after all these years, because I have a question : what means a beat which is written sometimes during the description? It's like a pause?  ???

Thanks!   :)
It could be like this - just like this - always

Later, that dozy embrace solidified in his memory as the single moment of artless, charmed happiness in their separate and difficult lives. Annie Proulx

Offline jackster

• Ennis
  • dumbass missin'
« Reply #71 on: Dec 28, 2013, 05:44 PM »
I hope someone will have the curiosity to stop by this thread after all these years, because I have a question : what means a beat which is written sometimes during the description? It's like a pause?  ???

Thanks!   :)
Wow, been awhile since anything appeared in this thread! To answer your question, I think the idea of "a beat" is indeed a pause like you guessed, the usage comes from the beating of ones heart, so "a beat" is the time it takes for your heart make on beat. About a second or so.
 :c)
« Last Edit: Dec 29, 2013, 05:28 AM by jackster »
we get to drinkin' and talkin' an all

Offline BBMsheep

• Jack + Ennis
  • Little Darlin'
« Reply #72 on: Dec 29, 2013, 07:45 AM »
Thank you so much for your answer Jackster!  :^^)

Yes, that's what I thought!  ;)

Later, that dozy embrace solidified in his memory as the single moment of artless, charmed happiness in their separate and difficult lives. Annie Proulx

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #73 on: Dec 29, 2013, 03:08 PM »
Wait until you read Diana Osana's ''Climbing Brokeback Mountain'' which relates the genesis of the screenplay & eventually the production of the movie.
La dictature c'est ''ferme ta geule'', la démocratie c'est ''cause toujours''
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline BBMsheep

• Jack + Ennis
  • Little Darlin'
« Reply #74 on: Dec 30, 2013, 04:27 AM »
Well, I've read Annie Proulx' "Getting Movied" yesterday. It's so interesting to see the genesis of the story and her feelings about it and about the cinematographic adaptation of her writing...  
Love the fact that everything began with a lonely ranch hand in a bar, and the "bitter longing" in his expression, that AP noticed.

I will read Ossana's and McMurtry texts today.  :)

Offline jackster

• Ennis
  • dumbass missin'
« Reply #75 on: Dec 31, 2013, 09:19 AM »
Love the fact that everything began with a lonely ranch hand in a bar, and the "bitter longing" in his expression, that AP noticed.

Same here, find that fascinating and have often wondered whut happened to that guy, how would he ever know that his mere presence and actions in that old bar eventually effected so many people all around the globe.
 :s)
we get to drinkin' and talkin' an all

Offline BBMsheep

• Jack + Ennis
  • Little Darlin'
« Reply #76 on: Jan 01, 2014, 02:24 PM »
Same here, find that fascinating and have often wondered whut happened to that guy, how would he ever know that his mere presence and actions in that old bar eventually effected so many people all around the globe.
 :s)

I would have loved to know who he is. If he knew he changed our lives for ever!