Author Topic: symbolic meaning of mirrors and other props  (Read 10185 times)

Offline scruffy

• Scruff Nasty
  • Jack
symbolic meaning of mirrors and other props
« on: Feb 08, 2006, 04:16 AM »
The more I watch the movie I notice every day items that appear to be used for symbolic purposes.

Mirrors. More time than once jack is looking at Ennis through a mirror and I was wondering if that really had something to tell us about how Jack sees Ennis.  A mirror is not a true representation of reality.  It's a flipped version.  Our left hand in the mirror becomes our right. Is this telling us that Jack really can't see jack for who he truly is?

Windows.  A lot the scenes seem to have people trapped indoors looking out a window.  Is there something there?  I don't know.

Then there is the lasso which Ennis uses to capture Jack (usually used for animals) and maybe the lighters even have a meaning.  Please comment on any of the items listed above or find other items not found in nature that are used symbolically in the movie.

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
Re: symbolic meaning of mirrors and other props
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2006, 08:38 AM »
The more I watch the movie I notice every day items that appear to be used for symbolic purposes.

Mirrors. More time than once jack is looking at Ennis through a mirror and I was wondering if that really had something to tell us about how Jack sees Ennis.  A mirror is not a true representation of reality.  It's a flipped version.  Our left hand in the mirror becomes our right. Is this telling us that Jack really can't see jack for who he truly is?

Windows.  A lot the scenes seem to have people trapped indoors looking out a window.  Is there something there?  I don't know.

Then there is the lasso which Ennis uses to capture Jack (usually used for animals) and maybe the lighters even have a meaning.  Please comment on any of the items listed above or find other items not found in nature that are used symbolically in the movie.

Hello scruffy.  Not so sure about the mirrors and windows.  The mirror scene in the beginning (when Jack observes Ennis while shaving) is certainly a device used in the movie to express Jack's early interest in Ennis.  Another scene with a mirror is when Ennis prepares to leave with Jack on their first fishing trip (where Ennis chomps on a toothbrush).  Not so sure if there is any significance there.  As for windows, the scene that comes vicidlt to mind is Alma looking out the window in tears as she sees Ennis and Jack leave to go 'fishng'. 

As for the lasso, I direct you to an old thread by manila_rocks asking whether the lasso is symbolic of bondage.  You will find this thread of some interest. ;)

Offline jimmypage

• Lureen
« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2006, 10:43 AM »

Yes there are  windows, mirrors and lens if you count also Aguirre's binoculars.
Jack looks at Ennis even when they are leaving  Signal,
Alma looks at Ennis and Jack,
Ennis looks at Jack, and at Alma Jr from the car window
It's someone looking  at  someone else, who doesn't realize to be watched..
and maybe  means  just   physical and affective separation between two people or two reality (??)

Offline n061857

• beau dego
  • Alma
« Reply #3 on: Mar 25, 2006, 07:57 PM »
Scruffy, 
I like your interpretation that Jack does not see Ennis as he really is.  Ennis has told Jack from the beginning that they will never share a life together, but Jack refuses to believe that and continues to hope that Ennis will change.