Author Topic: The boys entry  (Read 9706 times)

Offline Rønnaug

• Mod-ChickY brigade
  • Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Eat the banana custard, or die!
The boys entry
« on: Feb 08, 2006, 05:32 PM »
Hm, dunno if this has been posted but just started seeing it agian and it hit me and I had to write it down.

When the boys make theyr entry into signal it is very descriptive of the way they are isn't it?

Ennis arrives having hitchicked, quietly walking into signal and standing in front of Aguirres trailer...
Jack drives in on a truck that hisses and bumps and it's like he wills it to drive the last metres....

I just had to share
No matter how much jell-O you pour in the pool , you still can't walk on water

Offline Cowboy Cody

• Jack + Ennis
  • Here I IS!
Re: The boys entry
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2006, 03:42 PM »
One sad (Ennis) only a brown paper sack in hand, one in breakdown mode (Jack). I never thought about it in that light till you mention it. The symbolism in this movie blows like a gale force of love wind on the wings of angels.
You were goin' up there to go fishin'....NO SHIT! GIMME SEX!

Offline stephan

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2006, 04:03 PM »
You have a point, Esmereldet. When Ennis arrives there is nobody around for hours, the train goes hurtling by and he doesn't care. It's as if Ennis belonged in a desert town, where no one could bother him about the love he was going to experience for Jack.
Stephan

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2006, 04:28 PM »
After 5 viewings, I was looking intensely at the opening.  Jack's eyes, looking at Ennis, Jack is shaving, looking in the mirror to have another glance at Ennis.  A bit further in the movie, after Ennis came back late to camp with the mules, Jack tries to clean the bruise on Ennis cheek, the way he looks at him, then turns his eyes down.  Was this love at first glance for Jack?
La dictature c'est ''ferme ta geule'', la démocratie c'est ''cause toujours''
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline bnjmn3

• Jack
  • BBM: The Best Picture Show
« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2006, 04:32 PM »
Great thread. They both blow into Signal with the wind. They are so alone, too. Two women walk along the street while they are outside the trailer. The boys never speak, but exchange very telling glances. My favorite is inside while Aguirre speaks. Jack looks first, then Ennis. Then, to and in the bar..are there any other people we see?
We can't change it. We will have to stand it.

Offline stephan

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2006, 04:41 PM »
Great thread. They both blow into Signal with the wind. They are so alone, too. Two women walk along the street while they are outside the trailer. The boys never speak, but exchange very telling glances. My favorite is inside while Aguirre speaks. Jack looks first, then Ennis. Then, to and in the bar..are there any other people we see?

Apart from the 2 women and Aguirre, we don't see anybody. There must be a barman, but is there anyone else in the bar ?
The music for the opening minutes is perfect. Spare, like the scenery, like Ennis's and Jack's hearts, until they find each other...  :-\ :-\
Stephan

Offline kcristob

• Lureen
« Reply #6 on: Feb 09, 2006, 04:51 PM »
Also, Ennis looks so scared when he gets out of the semi.  Clearly not comfortable going new places, like a scared rabbit.  Jack, however, looks just fine (of course he's been there before - but I think he'd be comfortable if he hadn't).  It's reflective of their personalities.  Jack is more comfortable (even likes) taking risk.  Ennis does not.  The opening scene is beautifully shot showcasing who they are.

Offline Rønnaug

• Mod-ChickY brigade
  • Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2006, 02:43 AM »
Was this love at first glance for Jack?

I think so. he had had other experiences with men so I don't think he had to wonder about the feeling and could just see a person, not a man. I think Ennis had the same feeling, but had no idea what is was, cause he saw a man.If you get what I mean

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #8 on: Feb 10, 2006, 02:31 PM »

I think so. he had had other experiences with men so I don't think he had to wonder about the feeling and could just see a person, not a man. I think Ennis had the same feeling, but had no idea what is was, cause he saw a man.If you get what I mean

I got what you mean.  However I do not agree that Jack had expriences with men before Ennis.
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline Rønnaug

• Mod-ChickY brigade
  • Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2006, 02:46 PM »

I got what you mean.  However I do not agree that Jack had expriences with men before Ennis.

Short story says something like he's ridden more than bulls???? can't check it now cause my copy is at work, waiting for me...going in 20 mins 

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #10 on: Feb 10, 2006, 02:48 PM »
I should keep the short story in my Back Pack... but then, I would read it in the subway and make a crying fool of myslelf.

:-X chameau off topic!
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline scruffy

• Scruff Nasty
  • Jack
« Reply #11 on: Feb 10, 2006, 03:12 PM »
Jack really hits me in the first scene.  He has eye lashes that go on for days and he really knows how to make bedroom eyes.  I don't really see the bedroom look until they're up in the mountain for a long time.  I don't see the eyelashes as intense for the rest of the movie either.  Maybe it's just me but it is almost as if they threw on a little mascara to accentuate the lashes.

Offline christie wood

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #12 on: Feb 23, 2006, 10:40 AM »
Love this scene too.....the acting by them both blows me away, and they don't even say a word.

Ennis, hat on, head down, shifty glances now and again to Jack, no way was he going to introduce himself.  Jack, more confident, looking at Ennis straight on, almost cruisy in his demeanour, like he's eying Ennis up and liking what he sees!  Brilliant, totally brilliant.

No words needed, and yet so much said.
"Look at my boots, old and dingy" - Heath Ledger

Offline Rod

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #13 on: Feb 23, 2006, 04:58 PM »
Also, Ennis looks so scared when he gets out of the semi.  Clearly not comfortable going new places, like a scared rabbit.  Jack, however, looks just fine (of course he's been there before - but I think he'd be comfortable if he hadn't).  It's reflective of their personalities.  Jack is more comfortable (even likes) taking risk.  Ennis does not.  The opening scene is beautifully shot showcasing who they are.

My friend Rodney brought that up then on a rewatch I noticed it also...when Ennis gets out of the truck he doesn't thanks or anything just kinda looks back at the trucker with a unpleasant expression...was that supposed to mean anything???

Offline kcristob

• Lureen
« Reply #14 on: Feb 23, 2006, 05:41 PM »
My friend Rodney brought that up then on a rewatch I noticed it also...when Ennis gets out of the truck he doesn't thanks or anything just kinda looks back at the trucker with a unpleasant expression...was that supposed to mean anything???

Yes!  I have really wondered about that too.  He does look more than just scared or confused, but really unpleasant and a bit hostile.  I don't know if it means anything other than just Ennis being Ennis, but each time I see it it seems to jump out at me.

Offline Rønnaug

• Mod-ChickY brigade
  • Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #15 on: Feb 23, 2006, 06:04 PM »

Yes!  I have really wondered about that too.  He does look more than just scared or confused, but really unpleasant and a bit hostile.  I don't know if it means anything other than just Ennis being Ennis, but each time I see it it seems to jump out at me.

Ennis don't really smile at anyone except Jack, his daughters nd Alma when thay are playing in the snow does he??

Offline frenchcda

• Laments of the hearts
  • Ennis
« Reply #16 on: Feb 23, 2006, 06:31 PM »
Short story says something like he's ridden more than bulls? that has me also thinking if Jack had any previous encounters!
       what is a belief if not a lack of knowing

My wounds are deeper than your desires

www.wordsofpeace.com

Offline Rønnaug

• Mod-ChickY brigade
  • Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #17 on: Feb 24, 2006, 06:51 AM »
Short story says something like he's ridden more than bulls? that has me also thinking if Jack had any previous encounters!

Yip, Jack is no virgin ;)