Author Topic: BBM the Opera  (Read 57311 times)

Offline pierralex

• Dreamer forever
  • Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
  • que les moutons aillent se faire foutre
BBM the Opera
« Reply #30 on: Jun 12, 2008, 04:20 PM »
I'm like Ethan about this, I have mixed feelings like I cannot disassocite Gustavo's music from the story.  However I loved every show I saw at the NYCO, so a trip to N.Y. is scheduled for 2013 :)

I quote. Thanks ofr the info. I really wonder about the result  :s) . What about for the FNIT and SNIT?
And who will play the elk? Keren maybe you should be candidate ;) (she was our private elk in London meeting).

2013 is good, I shall be rich at the time, with a lot of luck :P  ;D
"Texans don't drink coffee?"

Offline myprivatejack

• Jack + Ennis
  • It could be like this,just like this...always
BBM the Opera
« Reply #31 on: Jun 12, 2008, 04:41 PM »
If you don't mind, before movies existed, many great theater plays (ex: Othello) or novels like La dame au Camelia that became La Traviata were taken to Opera versions, that was then a great accomplishment.  Don't forget great operas like Le Nozze Figaro were first of all novels.  I worry too but I'll give it a chance... my main concern is the sheep  :s)

Oh,no Pierre,I really DON'T mind¡ Why?... ??? I know everything you said(thanks)but don't forget either than now it's another time with another and very different and varied means of communication that made easier the identification or not with some roles.Then,opera became a kind of illustrating the fantasies that novels,the written part,open before readers.For me,I repeat,it's another time,another place,another story...;and don't deny now,please,that your feelings about the questions aren't,at least,"expectant".And,frankly,I think it's not in damage of our love for BBM,admitting that some scenes would be kind of hilarious,if not ridiculous... :*(

I quote. Thanks ofr the info. I really wonder about the result  :s) . What about for the FNIT and SNIT?
And who will play the elk? Keren maybe you should be candidate ;) (she was our private elk in London meeting).
2013 is good, I shall be rich at the time, with a lot of luck :P  ;D

%&) Well,then,Seb,if you will be rich,maybe you will be able to buy the theatre in order to do the play like we want;with FNIT,SNIT,TNIT,elks and lots of beans... :8 

Ennis’s eyes gone bright with shock, mouth opening then closing again. “Love?” Ennis said finally, voice strangling in his throat.

Jack smiled sad. “Yeah, Ennis. Love.” Leaned forward and kissed Ennis’s temple, whispered, “What’d you think it was, all this time?”
("If I asked")
                         ----------------
Heathcliff Andrew Ledger (1979-2008)/Rajel Karen Ashkenazi (1986-2008)
You will be forever in my heart,friends.

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
BBM the Opera
« Reply #32 on: Jun 12, 2008, 08:17 PM »
I guess we need to wipe out memories from the movie since the libretto will be writen after the short story, now the motel scene is kind of explicit in the short story compared to the movie :s) :i (t)
La dictature c'est ''ferme ta geule'', la démocratie c'est ''cause toujours''
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline Raisa

• Jack + Ennis
BBM the Opera
« Reply #33 on: Jun 12, 2008, 08:52 PM »

I admit openly that I'm not a great expert of music and opera, not at all. Just now it is difficult for me to figure out what kind of opera BBM will turn. I hope Mr. Wuorinen knows what to do and I trust his talent. For example in Finland our composers have turned Finnish novels into opera, novels that belong to our national canon, and also events or great persons in our history , and the results have been good. Modern. And our opera singers have done good work in those roles. For me it is easier to imagine BBM as musical than opera, but I guess both are possible. Maybe something very modern. (And Mr Wuorinen has Finnish ancestors. His name "Wuorinen" is Finnish)

But I repeat, my first impression is still comical. I quote MPJ
And,well,maybe I'll ook like an ignorant,but...as Carmilla said,listening to two pretended Ennis and Jack singing that:-"Yooooouuuu knooooww I'm not queeeer",-"Meeeeee eeiiiitheeer", and the chorus repeating :-"Queeerrr,heee's noot queeer" at least is...is..well,put the adjective you want¡.JMHO.
”It is said some lives are linked across time. Connected by an ancient calling that echoes through the ages. Destiny.”

Prince of Persia
---------------------
"Jack, I swear -"  he said, though Jack had never asked him to swear anything and was himself not the swearing kind.

Offline Raisa

• Jack + Ennis
BBM the Opera
« Reply #34 on: Jun 12, 2008, 09:31 PM »

My mind is wandering.... but I guess everything is possible.  E.g. that off-broadway production Naked Boys Singing.....

So, why not BBM opera or musical or whatever!
”It is said some lives are linked across time. Connected by an ancient calling that echoes through the ages. Destiny.”

Prince of Persia
---------------------
"Jack, I swear -"  he said, though Jack had never asked him to swear anything and was himself not the swearing kind.

Offline tizi17

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
  • I love you Ennis, always did and always will..
BBM the Opera
« Reply #35 on: Jun 13, 2008, 01:38 AM »
I admit openly that I'm not a great expert of music and opera, not at all. Just now it is difficult for me to figure out what kind of opera BBM will turn. I hope Mr. Wuorinen knows what to do and I trust his talent. For example in Finland our composers have turned Finnish novels into opera, novels that belong to our national canon, and also events or great persons in our history , and the results have been good. Modern. And our opera singers have done good work in those roles. For me it is easier to imagine BBM as musical than opera, but I guess both are possible. Maybe something very modern. (And Mr Wuorinen has Finnish ancestors. His name "Wuorinen" is Finnish)

But I repeat, my first impression is still comical. I quote MPJ

thinking about what you said...
there are more than verdi-type of operas...
i have seen some very spectaculare ones by philipp glass - not that 12 tone music is really easy.. but it sure is bale to capture tragedy in a "modern" way.
i'm getting curious...
".. a love that dare not speak its name.." oscar wilde

Offline myprivatejack

• Jack + Ennis
  • It could be like this,just like this...always
BBM the Opera
« Reply #36 on: Jun 13, 2008, 07:10 AM »
I guess we need to wipe out memories from the movie since the libretto will be writen after the short story, now the motel scene is kind of explicit in the short story compared to the movie :s) :i (t)

Then,and as I said in my former post,the question is that I'm an ignorant,even if respectful... :i  *^)
Ennis’s eyes gone bright with shock, mouth opening then closing again. “Love?” Ennis said finally, voice strangling in his throat.

Jack smiled sad. “Yeah, Ennis. Love.” Leaned forward and kissed Ennis’s temple, whispered, “What’d you think it was, all this time?”
("If I asked")
                         ----------------
Heathcliff Andrew Ledger (1979-2008)/Rajel Karen Ashkenazi (1986-2008)
You will be forever in my heart,friends.

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
BBM the Opera
« Reply #37 on: Jun 13, 2008, 08:08 AM »
thinking about what you said...
there are more than verdi-type of operas...
i have seen some very spectaculare ones by philipp glass - not that 12 tone music is really easy.. but it sure is bale to capture tragedy in a "modern" way.
i'm getting curious...

Yes, I think people should remember that opera has many many different styles, and the popular conception of upera )Italian 19th Century) represents only a small part -- although this is the part that is known by most people.

The Philip Glass trilogy is a good minimalist example. 

Britten and Szymanowski are of course 20th century gay composers who wrote opera on gay themes, and yet their music is so very different from each other.

And as Cham said, expect this to be very different from the film.  Remember that this Opera is not supposed to compete with it.

Offline Raisa

• Jack + Ennis
BBM the Opera
« Reply #38 on: Jun 13, 2008, 09:11 AM »

And as Cham said, expect this to be very different from the film.  Remember that this Opera is not supposed to compete with it.

What tpe said! Yes!

Btw, how much are the tickets to Opera premieres? Do I need to begin to save money?  ;)

Prince of Persia
---------------------

Offline tizi17

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
  • I love you Ennis, always did and always will..
BBM the Opera
« Reply #39 on: Jun 13, 2008, 01:36 PM »
good question girl!  ^f^
you know.. i just picture as ALL sitting there... a girl can dream, no?  ;)

thomas.. britten would have been great no? but yes, i see things like that...
mortier has been i austria for some time, and he always had "problems" with the most controversal pieces he wanted to do.. so it's a good sign to me..
".. a love that dare not speak its name.." oscar wilde

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
BBM the Opera
« Reply #40 on: Jun 13, 2008, 02:55 PM »
What tpe said! Yes!

Btw, how much are the tickets to Opera premieres? Do I need to begin to save money?  ;)

It depends.  For one, it may be difficult to get individual tickets to choice premieres if you are not a subscriber for a season.  Hard but not impossible.  As to cost for a premiere, it would be more of course.  The NYC Opera will be cheeper than the Met.  I would say around 200 USD?  I am sure you can get better prices.  :)

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
BBM the Opera
« Reply #41 on: Jun 13, 2008, 02:56 PM »
good question girl!  ^f^
you know.. i just picture as ALL sitting there... a girl can dream, no?  ;)

thomas.. britten would have been great no? but yes, i see things like that...
mortier has been i austria for some time, and he always had "problems" with the most controversal pieces he wanted to do.. so it's a good sign to me..

Yes, had Britten lived to see BBM, I am sure he would have been inspired to write something!  :)

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
BBM the Opera
« Reply #42 on: Jun 13, 2008, 04:02 PM »
I'd wait a few representations rather than the premiere, usually the play gets better.  By 2013 I have no clue how much could be a ticket at the NYCO but definitely cheaper than the Met. 
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
BBM the Opera
« Reply #43 on: Jun 16, 2008, 08:13 AM »
I'd wait a few representations rather than the premiere, usually the play gets better.  By 2013 I have no clue how much could be a ticket at the NYCO but definitely cheaper than the Met.  

I agree.  I think it will be cheaper than the Met, although I hope that demand doesn't drive the price up!  :)

Offline donnaread

• Love is a force of nature
  • Alma
BBM the Opera
« Reply #44 on: Jun 17, 2008, 07:41 PM »
NEWSFLASH!

Charles Wuorinen is working on an OPERA version of Brokeback Mountain for the New York Met.

It's scheduled dbut is in 2012.  Something to go on living for.    :cr) (t)

Not being an opera fan, I may make an exception for this one.  I have long thought that BBM would make an excellent musical, but I am not sure about opera.  Donna
This is the forest primeval.  The murmuring pines and the hemlocks, bearded with moss, and in garments green, indistinct in the twilight...but where are the hearts that beneath it leaped...

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
BBM the Opera
« Reply #45 on: Jun 18, 2008, 02:38 PM »
Not being an opera fan, I may make an exception for this one.  I have long thought that BBM would make an excellent musical, but I am not sure about opera.  Donna

In fact, it was also being considered for a Musical.  :)

I think it would do great as both an Opera and a Musical..

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
Re: BBM the Opera
« Reply #46 on: Jun 20, 2008, 07:41 AM »
Thanks to the mod who split this discussion into its own separate thread!  :)

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #47 on: Jun 20, 2008, 03:53 PM »
Yup thanks to Asali  ^f^

Now I wonder if the NYCO will share this production with the Glimmerglass Festival  :s)

They use to share productions and seeing BBM the Opera at Glimmerglaass would be even better than the NYCO Theater.  I've been to Glimmerglass and it's a small opera house in the middle of nature with open windows to the night, seeing BBM there would pure magic.  Glimmerglass is located  in Cooperstown NY.

Lets hope!

In the meantime we could plan a big meet in 2013 and a full house of Brokies at the opera.   :)

BTW, the NYCO makes group prices.  :*(
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #48 on: Jun 20, 2008, 04:29 PM »
Yup thanks to Asali  ^f^

Now I wonder if the NYCO will share this production with the Glimmerglass Festival  :s)

They use to share productions and seeing BBM the Opera at Glimmerglaass would be even better than the NYCO Theater.  I've been to Glimmerglass and it's a small opera house in the middle of nature with open windows to the night, seeing BBM there would pure magic.  Glimmerglass is located  in Cooperstown NY.

Lets hope!

In the meantime we could plan a big meet in 2013 and a full house of Brokies at the opera.   :)

BTW, the NYCO makes group prices.  :*(

This was actually on my mind, Cham.  And I do agree that Glimmerglass would be better, and watching BBM there would be magical.  :)

Offline chudleycanons

• Cassie
« Reply #49 on: Jun 22, 2008, 05:52 AM »

I don't know if I'm the only one but I'm very much aganist the production of this "opera". Brokeback Mountain was a landmark film and was something that, really couldn't be unmatched. To make it into an opera, just seems so..weird to me.  ???

I totally agree with you. I think an opera will take some of the beauty and meaning from the story and I don't think I'll ever be able to make my peace at the thought of anyone other than Heath and Jake playing Ennis and Jack.

babytammy7

« Reply #50 on: Jun 22, 2008, 11:03 AM »
I love Opera!!! I have a big collection of Opera Cd's, and I saw great plays like "Il Trovatore", "Nabuco", "Aida" or "Carmen" here in Madrid, in the opera theater with one of best acoustic in the world.

Just thinking about BBM as a opera I get goosebumps!!! I'm so thrilled!! I can't wait!! Jesus!!!  (t) (t) (t)

Of course it have to be based on the SS and not in the film (for obvious reasons) and of course it'll have to change some things but I bet the is gonna be awesome!!  <^( <^( <^(

But how are we gonna buy the tickets? I mean, when I bought my tickets here I had to wait for 14 hours in front of the theatre because almost all tickets were season tickets, so they had very few tickets to sell to the rest of the people. I almost had to kick people's asses to get my two tickets!! So now, me living in Spain, how the hell am I gonna do it?  :-\\ :-\\ :-\\

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #51 on: Jun 22, 2008, 03:53 PM »
If we are a group and attend all on the same date it's very easy to do by internet directly to the NYCO website, they have rates for groups like any theater.  You need indeed a credit card but this is not a problem.  Worse case we could dispatch some New Yorker  :*( to take care of the situation directly on the spot.
 Jean-Louis Barrault

babytammy7

« Reply #52 on: Jun 22, 2008, 05:11 PM »
Thank you so much Pierre!! We all could go together!! That'd be awesome!!  <^( <^(

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #53 on: Jun 23, 2008, 08:22 AM »
I totally agree with you. I think an opera will take some of the beauty and meaning from the story and I don't think I'll ever be able to make my peace at the thought of anyone other than Heath and Jake playing Ennis and Jack.

Welcome, chudleycanons!  :)

As I have said previously, this work is in no way positioned to compete with the movie or the short story.  In truth, it is inspired by them.  It would have been different if this were a remake of the movie, starring different actors.  One shouldn't resent a work of art simply because it seeks to retell osmething via a different medium.

Why should opera be any different from a movie?  One can argue that when the movie was being produced, people were saying that making a movie out of it would "take some of the beauty and meaning from the story."  Whatever shortcomings the cinema version had in comparison to the visceral short story, it compensated in other totally different and wonderful ways through the medium of cinema.  The same with an opera version.

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #54 on: Jul 03, 2008, 01:26 PM »

http://music.guardian.co.uk/classical/story/0,,2288651,00.html

Films to operas

Sophie's Choice William Styron'snovel was adapted for film in 1982, starring Meryl Streep. In 2002 it was made into an opera by Nicholas Maw but it received poor reviews.

Lost Highway David Lynch's 1997 film noir was adapted as an opera by Austrian composer Olga Neuwirth in 2003. The plot focuses on a jazz musician accused of murdering his wife who transforms into another man, escapes, and seduces his wife again. The opera toured Europe and the US.

Dancer in the Dark Lars von Trier's 2000 film, which starred Björk, is being adapted into an opera by the Royal Danish Theatre. It is expected to premiere in 2010-2011.

Brokeback Mountain Charles Wuorinen is adapting Brokeback Mountain for New York City Opera, expected to debut in 2013. The 2005 film, directed by Ang Lee, starred Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal as cowboys who fall in love.

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #55 on: Nov 10, 2008, 02:50 PM »

:(

http://broadwayworld.com/article/Brokeback_Mountain_and_Disney_Opera_Shelved_After_Mortiers_Departure_20010101

---------------------------------------

Brokeback Mountain and Disney Opera Shelved After Mortier's Departure

Monday, November 10, 2008; Posted: 01:11 PM - by BWW News Desk

Variety is reporting that due to the recent departure of City Opera Artistic Director Gerard Mortier, some upcoming opera projects will be shelved. Among them, the adaption of the film "Brokeback Mountain" and a new opera based on the life of Walt Disney, "The Perfect American".

Mortier reportedly left the organization, which like many arts organizations has been undergoing financial strain resulting in a series of layoffs, because of "budgetary constraints that would not allow him to achieve his programming goals."

Back in June, it was announced that Charles Wuorinen was commissioned to write an opera adaptation of the popular film Brokeback Mountain., the 2005 romantic drama that depicts the complex romantic and sexual relationship between two men in the West over the course of twenty years.  The film was directed by Ang Lee from a screenplay by Diana Ossana and Larry McMurtry, which they adapted from the short story "Brokeback Mountain" by Annie Proulx. The film starred the late Heath Ledger, Jake Gyllenhaal, Anne Hathaway, and Michelle Williams. Brokeback Mountain had the most nominations (eight) for the 78th Academy Awards, where it won three: Best Director, Best Adapted Screenplay, and Best Original Score.

Then in September, following a meeting of New York City Opera's Board of Directors Mortier, announced that City Opera would be commissioning Philip Glass to compose a new opera, The Perfect American which imaginatively explores the life and career of Walt Disney. Based on the recent novel Der König von Amerika (translated into English as The Perfect American) by Peter Stephan Jungk, the opera, which was to be presented in collaboration with Improbable, was scheduled to open City Opera's 2012-2013 season.

The world premiere of this work, the 24th opera by Philip Glass, would have honored the 75th birthday of the distinguished composer, whose association with City Opera dates back to the 1980s, when the company presented the New York premiere of his Akhnaten and recorded his Satyagraha.

Mr. Mortier had also scheduled a Philip Glass work for his inaugural 2009-2010 season when City Opera would present the landmark opera Einstein on the Beach.

Mr. Mortier reportedly hopes to take his commissions to another organization for production.

For more information on the New York City Opera, visit http://www.nycopera.com

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #56 on: Nov 10, 2008, 02:51 PM »
:(
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #57 on: Nov 10, 2008, 03:05 PM »
I hope this project will be resurrected in the near future.  What a disappointment...

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #58 on: Nov 10, 2008, 03:10 PM »
It is a big disapointment, I wonder if the composer already started to work on it.
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #59 on: Nov 10, 2008, 03:13 PM »
I won't be surprised if there are sketches of it...

Well, Mortier said that he will try to interest another organization, so this is not totally dead.  But I admit that this is a big setback...