Author Topic: Ennis Holding Jack  (Read 19646 times)

Offline Gregg

• Cassie
  • "If ya can't fix it, ya gotta stand it..."
Ennis Holding Jack
« on: Feb 10, 2006, 10:19 PM »
I just saw the movie for the second time tonight. There is a lump in my throat...and heart. The scene where Ennis comes up behind Jack, holds him - Jack says "Ya know, it could always be like this..." Am I correct in saying that Ennis sings softly in his ear? Does anyone know what he says/sings? I zoned out for that moment, but thought it was an incredibly tender moment.

I've seen lots of movies and read lots of books - nothing has touched me like this production. We all have our own Brokeback Mountains, that's for sure.

Gregg
"If ya can't fix it, ya gotta stand it..."

Offline rikcub

• Lureen
Re: Ennis Holding Jack
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2006, 10:23 PM »
I just saw the movie for the second time tonight. There is a lump in my throat...and heart. The scene where Ennis comes up behind Jack, holds him - Jack says "Ya know, it could always be like this..." Am I correct in saying that Ennis sings softly in his ear? Does anyone know what he says/sings? I zoned out for that moment, but thought it was an incredibly tender moment.

I've seen lots of movies and read lots of books - nothing has touched me like this production. We all have our own Brokeback Mountains, that's for sure.

Gregg

He does...I believe it is something from his childhood...something that his mother used to sing to him.

Offline jrfh50

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2006, 12:16 AM »
It is not clear what he sings, just a lullaby from his childhood. To me the scene is mostly about the look on Jack's face during and after the holding.
living with complicated emotions

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
  • No longer using this account: frog123
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2006, 12:31 PM »
We know what he sings...let me find it again..BRB!
Support bacteria, they are the only culture some people have!

If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I.
~ Michel Eyquem de Montaigne (1533-1592) ~ (Thankx to gimmejack)

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2006, 12:42 PM »
Ok here is a 1st thread about it --> Sing To Me

I will keep looking, because I know someone has posted it here before.. >:( I will find it...though I could do with some help, ;D!

If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I.

Offline AnitaSmith

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #5 on: Feb 11, 2006, 05:07 PM »

Gregg, this does not address your question about Ennis singing in Jack's ear.  I'm just making an observation about that scene that haunts me for some reason.  I believe Ennis also commented that Jack was so tired that he was standing up sleeping like a horse. So Ennis embraces Jack from behind as if to be a pillar of support.  I kept thinking that by all rights Jack *should* be exhausted.  It seemed that he was the one always having to extend himself by driving from Texas to Wyoming to see Ennis.  But I reckon that being in Jack's shoes, the long drive meant nothing if the reward was spending some time with Ennis. On some level it must have caused Ennis significant torment to be causing Jack so much heartache.

Offline kysmith72

• Cassie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 11, 2006, 06:28 PM »
This is according to the screenplay....

Ennis's breath comes slow and quiet, then he starts to gently rock back and forth a little, lit by the warm fire tossing ruddy chunks of light, the shadow of their bodies a single column against a rock.  Ennis hums quietly.

Nothing mars this moment for Jack, even though he knows that Ennis does not embrace him face to face because he does not want to see or feel that it is Jack he holds--because for now, they are wrapped in a closeness that satisfies some shared and sexless hunger, that is not really sleep but something else drowsy and tranced--until Ennis, dredging up a rusty phrase from the childhood time before his mother died, says:

ENNIS:  "Come on now, you're sleepin' on your feet like a horse. (pause) My mama used to say that to me when I was little..."

They stand like that for another moment.

ENNIS: "and sing to me..."

Ennis sings low, a childhood song, from some long ago memory.

ENNIS: " I got to go."

Gives Jack a little shake, a gentle push, and Jack stumbles ever so slightly in the direction of his tent.  Stops.  Hears Ennis's spurs jingle as he mounts his horse.

ENNIS:  "...see you in the mornin'."

Hope this answered your question...
Such a moving scene.  It makes me lose it every time. 

Kerri

Offline City Slickin' Cowboy

• BBM Addict for Life.
  • Jack + Ennis
  • It's A BBM Love Affair
« Reply #7 on: Feb 11, 2006, 06:29 PM »
Gregg, this does not address your question about Ennis singing in Jack's ear.  I'm just making an observation about that scene that haunts me for some reason.  I believe Ennis also commented that Jack was so tired that he was standing up sleeping like a horse. So Ennis embraces Jack from behind as if to be a pillar of support.  I kept thinking that by all rights Jack *should* be exhausted.  It seemed that he was the one always having to extend himself by driving from Texas to Wyoming to see Ennis.  But I reckon that being in Jack's shoes, the long drive meant nothing if the reward was spending some time with Ennis. On some level it must have caused Ennis significant torment to be causing Jack so much heartache.

Are you aware that the scene you are describing is a flashback?
« Last Edit: Feb 11, 2006, 06:48 PM by City Slickin' Cowboy »
A reminder Brokies...there is no known cure for PBS.  It's merely managed.

Offline rod1960

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #8 on: Feb 11, 2006, 06:41 PM »
Yes, that happened on Brokeback Mountain.

Offline BBBOY

• Brokeback Junkie
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Ya know I ain't straight Me neither
« Reply #9 on: Feb 11, 2006, 10:58 PM »
In the short story this is a crucile moment. It defines what Jack and Ennis had. It was more than sex, it was a love that so few of us ever experience, so complete, so compeling. A moment of such purity. I die every time I contemplate it. It's what I believe in and live for.
There was some open space between what he knew and what he tried to believe, but nothing could be done about it, and if you can't fix it you've got to stand it.

Ennis, riding against the wind back to the sheep in the treacherous, drunken darken light, thought he'd never had such a good time, felt he could paw the white out of the moon.

Offline bachalive

• Cassie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2006, 08:26 PM »
I just saw the movie last night for the second time and this scene is the most beutiful and moving scene I've ever seen. This moment is so tender. I am about to cry now. I have been thinking about this particular scene all day long today and I don't really know why it makes me so sad. Maybe this was a memory of what Ennis and Jack were like in the beginning and now they were so apart and bitter towards each other. Brokeback Mountain is certainly beautiful and I will definately go back to the theatre once again this week

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #11 on: Feb 13, 2006, 08:29 PM »
I just saw the movie last night for the second time and this scene is the most beutiful and moving scene I've ever seen. This moment is so tender. I am about to cry now. I have been thinking about this particular scene all day long today and I don't really know why it makes me so sad. Maybe this was a memory of what Ennis and Jack were like in the beginning and now they were so apart and bitter towards each other. Brokeback Mountain is certainly beautiful and I will definately go back to the theatre once again this week

bachalive, welcome and thanks for posting. What you describe is my favorite scene in the movie. Here is the topic of the favorite scenes from other members.

Enjoy your time here and many more BBM viewings.
Remembering Pierre (chameau) 1960-2015, a "Capricorn bro and crazy Frog Uncle from the North Pole." You are missed

Offline camom

• Alma
« Reply #12 on: Feb 13, 2006, 10:12 PM »

If it makes you feel any better, I really don't think Ennis and Jack were "apart and bitter towards each other"--at that moment, yes, but I don't think it lasted.  They were both frustrated with the situation, but I do believe they loved each other to the end.  If you read the short story, right after that particular scene it says that they torqued things back to where they were before--unsettled, but still together.  What I find incredibly sad is how little time they actually had to spend together.  After repeating viewings, that is what has hit me the most--I find myself almost resenting the time that other characters are on the screen, because they're taking time away from Ennis and Jack. 

camom

Offline City Slickin' Cowboy

• BBM Addict for Life.
  • Jack + Ennis
  • It's A BBM Love Affair
« Reply #13 on: Feb 13, 2006, 10:34 PM »
...What I find incredibly sad is how little time they actually had to spend together.  After repeating viewings, that is what has hit me the most--I find myself almost resenting the time that other characters are on the screen, because they're taking time away from Ennis and Jack. 

camom

Ditto camom!  The flashback scene made me wish there were more scenes from BBM '63. It would have been great to see a little more into how their friendship and love developed before the abrupt end.  Damn that Joe Aguirre!  >:(
A reminder Brokies...there is no known cure for PBS.  It's merely managed.

Offline bachalive

• Cassie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 13, 2006, 11:01 PM »
Hi Ethan and thanks for replying to my message. This is also my favorite scene in the movie. Everytime I see this scene my eyes start to water. I think I am so touched about this scene because it reminds me of my first boyfriend. We used to live in different cities. He was in DC and me in Atlanta and everytime we saw each other it was like Ennis and Jack in the beginning. He was also a little like Ennis because at the time he wasn't out to his straight friends and it was really hard. On the other hand, I even wanted to move to DC to be with him. so I guess I was like Jack. Anyways, I can't get BBM out of my head since last week. It's crazy! I think in a way or another we have experienced something similar to BBM in our own lives and that's why this movie has touched so many people hearts. Also, Camon I meant Jack and Ennis seemed bitter and apart at that particular moment. Thanks for letting me know though. I will buy the story and the screenplay real soon.

Offline camom

• Alma
« Reply #15 on: Feb 13, 2006, 11:51 PM »
...What I find incredibly sad is how little time they actually had to spend together.  After repeating viewings, that is what has hit me the most--I find myself almost resenting the time that other characters are on the screen, because they're taking time away from Ennis and Jack. 

camom

Ditto camom!  The flashback scene made me wish there were more scenes from BBM '63. It would have been great to see a little more into how their friendship and love developed before the abrupt end.  Damn that Joe Aguirre!  >:(

I also love the scene where they're chasing each other around (the one through the binoculars).  They're just so happy and free; I wish that scene were longer, but it makes me terribly sad, because I know it's the beginning of the end of their happiness.   :'(

camom

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #16 on: Feb 13, 2006, 11:54 PM »
Hi Ethan and thanks for replying to my message. This is also my favorite scene in the movie. Everytime I see this scene my eyes start to water. I think I am so touched about this scene because it reminds me of my first boyfriend. We used to live in different cities. He was in DC and me in Atlanta and everytime we saw each other it was like Ennis and Jack in the beginning. He was also a little like Ennis because at the time he wasn't out to his straight friends and it was really hard. On the other hand, I even wanted to move to DC to be with him. so I guess I was like Jack. Anyways, I can't get BBM out of my head since last week. It's crazy! I think in a way or another we have experienced something similar to BBM in our own lives and that's why this movie has touched so many people hearts. Also, Camon I meant Jack and Ennis seemed bitter and apart at that particular moment. Thanks for letting me know though. I will buy the story and the screenplay real soon.

Hello backalive, you are welcome and thanks for sharing your story. BBM is a movie which many of us can relate and you are right about that. There are many other great topics in this forum which members share their stories, thoughts and emotion. Hope to read more posts from you.
Remembering Pierre (chameau) 1960-2015, a "Capricorn bro and crazy Frog Uncle from the North Pole." You are missed

Offline frenchcda

• Laments of the hearts
  • Ennis
« Reply #17 on: Feb 14, 2006, 03:44 AM »
I just put my order for the screenplay, and for the love of God, there is a back-order, it will take 39 days to get the book, the same age that jack died, sob :'( :'(
       what is a belief if not a lack of knowing

My wounds are deeper than your desires

www.wordsofpeace.com

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #18 on: Feb 14, 2006, 06:52 AM »
I just put my order for the screenplay, and for the love of God, there is a back-order, it will take 39 days to get the book, the same age that jack died, sob :'( :'(

:'(

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #19 on: Feb 14, 2006, 01:34 PM »

:'(

From where did you ordered?  I did yesterday from Chapters/Indigo, got an Email confirmation today the books were shipped this morning.  Might get them by they end of the week.

Ooopse, off topic  :-X
La dictature c'est ''ferme ta geule'', la démocratie c'est ''cause toujours''
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline Rønnaug

• Mod-ChickY brigade
  • Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Eat the banana custard, or die!
« Reply #20 on: Feb 14, 2006, 05:00 PM »

camom

i can't help it, sometimes I wish the film ended before Ennis woke up in the snow  :) the part on Brokeback in 63 is just so good cause the heartache hasn't really begun yet
No matter how much jell-O you pour in the pool , you still can't walk on water

aimi15

« Reply #21 on: Feb 14, 2006, 05:13 PM »
I love this scene. If theres one scene i could choose to remember and have to forget all the rest its this one. Its like watching a role reversal, we get to see Jack being the one that is held without anything in return, and sung to, and just....cuddled i guess. Ennis rubbing his collar too its just SO tender. And i adore the way Jack watches him ride off, i don't think anyone else could have nailed that look of love, its just too beautiful for any more words....sob!xx

Offline frenchcda

• Laments of the hearts
  • Ennis
« Reply #22 on: Feb 14, 2006, 05:26 PM »
From where did you ordered?  I did yesterday from Chapters/Indigo, got an Email confirmation today the books were shipped this morning.  Might get them by they end of the week. Same place as you, I guess in Vancouver it takes a little longer, it took 3 weeks to get the book " at close Range in Wyoming" plus they send me the paperback instead of the Hard cover, stating they where out of Publication, go figure
       what is a belief if not a lack of knowing

My wounds are deeper than your desires

www.wordsofpeace.com

Offline cowgirl19

• Alma
  • If you can't fix it, you got a stand it.
« Reply #23 on: Feb 15, 2006, 05:06 AM »
The whole part where Jack says to Ennis that he wish he knew how to quit him and then witnessing the flashback scene has got to be my all time favorite scene from any movie ever!  It's such a heart piercing and tender moment.  And yeah, that look of love Jake gives is really what makes it.  He's amazing!   :'( 
"Come on Ennis, you just shot my plane out a the sky!-give me somethin a go on.  This ain't no little thing that's happenin here"---Jack Twist

Ennis, weather-eyed, looked west for the heated cumulus that might come up on such a day but the boneless blue was so deep, said Jack, that he might drown looking up.

His shaking hand grazed Ennis's hand, electrical current snapped between them.

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #24 on: Feb 15, 2006, 09:24 AM »
The whole part where Jack says to Ennis that he wish he knew how to quit him and then witnessing the flashback scene has got to be my all time favorite scene from any movie ever!  It's such a heart piercing and tender moment.  And yeah, that look of love Jake gives is really what makes it.  He's amazing!   :'( 

Just what I was expected...It is one of my favourite passages  in the book..and It LOOKS amazing on screen...Heath and Jake...THANK YOU!!!

Offline christie wood

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #25 on: Feb 15, 2006, 10:44 AM »
I love this scene. If theres one scene i could choose to remember and have to forget all the rest its this one. Its like watching a role reversal, we get to see Jack being the one that is held without anything in return, and sung to, and just....cuddled i guess. Ennis rubbing his collar too its just SO tender. And i adore the way Jack watches him ride off, i don't think anyone else could have nailed that look of love, its just too beautiful for any more words....sob!xx

Aimi, I totally agree.  Jack's look of love towards Ennis as he leaves him is so beautiful and says so much.  And if you read that scene in the book, well, it just about floors me......when you read it you have that image of Ennis holding Jack so lovingly....you never want that moment to end, because we all know what happens when it does.   :'( :'(
"Look at my boots, old and dingy" - Heath Ledger

Offline madisondel

• Lureen
« Reply #26 on: Feb 15, 2006, 10:57 AM »

I can't ell you how much I love this movie!!! I am so glad that I am not the only one! And I am so glad to have found others! I had to go by myself - both times! So I don't have anyone to talk to ! And I am just full of emotions! I also think about scenes all day and can't get it out of my mind! I haven't been touched by a movie like this in quite a while, if ever!!! I would love to go see it agani, as well! It would make three times!
Everyone's got a little brokeback in 'em

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #27 on: Feb 15, 2006, 11:17 AM »
I can't ell you how much I love this movie!!! I am so glad that I am not the only one! And I am so glad to have found others! I had to go by myself - both times! So I don't have anyone to talk to ! And I am just full of emotions! I also think about scenes all day and can't get it out of my mind! I haven't been touched by a movie like this in quite a while, if ever!!! I would love to go see it agani, as well! It would make three times!

Hello and Welcome Madisondel,

Go again!!! I've seen it 6 times and can't wait to see it again!!!
This scene of Ennis holding Jack is the most romantic thing ever!!!

Everytime I see this forum's banner, I can't help but think about them by the fire *sigh*

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #28 on: Feb 15, 2006, 10:04 PM »

Ditto!

Haw!  :-

PBS on stand by
La dictature c'est ''ferme ta geule'', la démocratie c'est ''cause toujours''
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline Cowboy Cody

• Jack + Ennis
  • Here I IS!
« Reply #29 on: Feb 15, 2006, 10:08 PM »

Ditto!

Haw!  :-

PBS on stand by

Cham if you start bawling, I'm gonna have to go get my tissues too! :'(
You were goin' up there to go fishin'....NO SHIT! GIMME SEX!