Author Topic: The Wind and Weather in "Brokeback Mountain"  (Read 6362 times)

Offline francis.shim

• aka Jack Nasty who loves you!!!
  • Alma
  • Brokeback Mountain, I swear...
The Wind and Weather in "Brokeback Mountain"
« on: Feb 15, 2006, 05:28 PM »
Howdy.

I wasn't sure if anyone has mentioned a lot about the "weather" setting (in particular, the wind) in Brokeback Mountain... so I thought I would start a new topic with that in mind.

I was intrigued by "the wind" both in Annie Proulx's short story and in the movie.  The wind came at very interesting times.  After Ennis found the dead sheep the wind became "biting".  When Jack came back to Aguirre's employment trailer for work... the wind was "trying to get in" especially when it was clear that Aguirre has no interest in what Ennis and Jack was about.  The wind also seems to be around Ennis's trailer as if it wants to invade his privacy.

It seems that the wind and/or "bad weather" in the story reflects the pervasiive homophobia all around our characters.  It's constant erosion of the individuals' private lives until lives are blown away or deformed into shapes unrecognizable.  I thought it was very poetic and haunting.

What do other people think?

Peace,
Frank (aka Jack Nasty)

aimi15

Re: The Wind and Weather in "Brokeback Mountain"
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2006, 05:43 PM »
I also noticed at times when they're relationship was fraught the river seemed to flow very turbulently and choppy. In happier times we see the river calm and smooth, has anyone else noticed this?

Offline bbmlover

• Jack
  • Jack - I swear......
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2006, 05:52 PM »
I also noticed at times when they're relationship was fraught the river seemed to flow very turbulently and choppy. In happier times we see the river calm and smooth, has anyone else noticed this?

mmmmmmmmm........ now i need another view i guess!!!!

aimi15

« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2006, 05:53 PM »
I know! I need to go back and check on the weather-oh the hardship!!! ;D

Offline bbmlover

• Jack
  • Jack - I swear......
« Reply #4 on: Feb 15, 2006, 05:56 PM »
I know! I need to go back and check on the weather-oh the hardship!!! ;D

;D ;D ;D ;D cracker

Offline francis.shim

• aka Jack Nasty who loves you!!!
  • Alma
  • Brokeback Mountain, I swear...
« Reply #5 on: Feb 15, 2006, 06:16 PM »
I just love to get a reason to go back and see "Brokeback Mountain"... so I will definitely look at the river... although I know I will have to dry my eyes first.

Peace,
Frank

Offline frenchcda

• Laments of the hearts
  • Ennis
« Reply #6 on: Feb 15, 2006, 06:28 PM »
That is so true, Ang Lee is a genious, you have to look at so much details to realize the depth and impact every little event the thunder, the storm the snow, the river how they all interact together like a symphony of nature and man.
BWT: did anyone make a connection with the scenes of Alma and Ennis, they are always other in the Fall or winter, they is some significance to that also, but I wont go into the details, just that it showed how unattacched they where about each other, the result of what society dictates????
       what is a belief if not a lack of knowing

My wounds are deeper than your desires

www.wordsofpeace.com