Author Topic: Please help The Imaginarium Of Dr. Parnassus find distributors!  (Read 134371 times)

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
  • There will never be another Heath
Attention everyone!!

For your information, Theresa has started a forum to obtain a US Distributor and wide release throughout the world of Dr. Parnassus. To quote Theresa: "Things are not looking good for a decent release for this film and we can help change that.  This is his last movie and the bottom line is, if we want it seen, we better do something about it."

Theresa did this in the past, to promote Heath's movie "Candy", and her site "addicted to the movie Candy" had a lot of success and contributed a lot to promoting the movie. I'm quoting here this message from Theresa:

Ok everyone, the forum is up and functional and ready to be posted on.  I am so grateful to all of you who have already registered.  Thank you for that. 

Please go on and start to post. Have fun!  You will notice that I made a forum for each of the main actors, which means there is one for Heath, Johnny, Colin, Jude, etc.  So you have your own mini heath forum there to have a ball in, just start a new thread for each new topic.  Have a blast.  And, you don't have to post serious stuff or stuff about Dr. Parnassus in the Heath thread or threads for the other actors if you are a fan of them.  Please know that it is vital that we post and keep posting and that we participate.  I am adding things as quickly as I can and I have a great group of people helping. Please spread the word about the forum and please encourage folks to join and participate.  If your friends aren't Heath fans, but say a Johnny fan for example, remember it's a movie of his that most of them won't get to see either if we don't get this movie in wide release.  There are so many countries who have not purchased distribution rights to this film.  It affects all of us, not just the USA and we will be making contact and trying to get it shown in as many countries as possible.  So if you're not from the USA, don't think we don't need your help because we are fighting to get it in your country too.  Also, for the countries it is showing in we are fighting to get it shown in more theaters there as well.

We can make a difference, we made a great deal of difference with the distributorship of Candy.  Luke Davies, who wrote the movie and I have remained very close friends ever since.  We owe it to Heath.  This is the very last time we can ever promote one of his movies for him and if we don't, the majority of his fans are never going to see it on a movie screen because it simply isn't going to be shown.  We learned a lot from Candy and we are respected by these people and have some very good connections because of that campaign.  Also, this is not a "foreign" film and due to its cast it should be easier to garner support and a fan base, but the public has to know this film is out there.  Just because we know as Heath fans doesn't mean the average Joe on the street knows anything about it even existing.

We don't need folks to just register then not participate.  That won't help.  We need them to post.  Just one post per day per member would be a tremendous help.

The "powers that be" (distributors) watched the candy support forum like a hawk and watched the numbers of members and the numbers of posts because to them that translates into butts in the theater seat and that means $$$.

We are fighting for a distributor for any country which does not have one for the film and for wide release for those countries who do.  If we don't, this movie just isn't going to be seen by most of us.

Thank you all so very much.

http://www.imaginariumofdrparnassus.com/forum/

Hugs
Theresa

The truth is... sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it.

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
Unfortunately, this thread has been deleted due to the technical problems mentioned here:

Early today, the forum was experiencing technical difficulty with lots of errors. Several attempts were made to fix the problem but not successful.

As the last resort to bring the forum back to a working condition without significant interruption, a restoration of using backup copy was done. Inevitably, some data were lost. The backup was created on March 2 which means all the posts and personal messages, new users registered between March 2 and prior to restoration are lost. As you browse the forum, you may recognize some discrepancy.

New Registered Users between March 2 - March 12 will need to register again.

We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your understanding. If you have any question, please post in the following thread or contact any mods.

http://ennisjack.com/index.php?topic=8710.0

I restarted the thread now and will put notices to direct people here.

Offline tizi17

• Jack + Ennis
  • I love you Ennis, always did and always will..
thank you keren  :ghug: ... what a desaster...  :-\\ 
".. a love that dare not speak its name.." oscar wilde

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
yeah I know  :-\\ so much data lost, all our discussions... but lets try and repair the damage as best we can.

Offline theresa

• Jack
Bless your hearts, thank you for re-starting the thread.  We lost our whole Candy forum at one point and couldn't get it back.  We were heartbroken so I'm so thankful you got it back.

I came to let you know I just added over 20 new Heath Parnassus photos to the gallery so we now have 33.  If you go to the link I give you here on the forum it will give you the link to the new photos.  They're adorable.

http://www.imaginariumofdrparnassus.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=178&p=893#p893

Theresa
Theresa

Offline theresa

• Jack
Hi My Sweet Ones,

It's time to start getting down to business and I will be very busy making contacts and getting the serious part of the forum up now.  So, I'm going to ask a huge favor of you.  I have some things that need to be said about this project and it's a bit of a long post, but I ask you to please bear with me and read it.  I promise you I will try my hardest not to write huge posts frequently.  I just think the better we all understand what's going on with the industry and what we can do and bust the myths that we may all have heard about the magical "distribution", the more we can understand the need for our commitment and help.  Please please register and please even if it's one post a day please post once a day.  And, please post not only to the Heath threads but all kinds of threads.  It's important that it be well rounded.  Our numbers are being watched so just joining doesn't help if the forum isn't full of posts.  We have 87 members so far, after one and one half weeks and if there were one post per person per day think just what the industry will see when it comes there.  And it's all about numbers to them.  Please don't ever fool yourself into thinking that the distributors, producers or exhibitors feel any sentimentality for this film.  They wouldn't care if God was in it if they don't have good reason to believe it will make them lots of money. 

What a precious mission we have.  We have to not only take care of our boy and his last performance, we have to take care of one another.  Even if our country receives distribution, we don't know how wide it will be, then comes the exhibitors, will they buy the film for their theaters.  So it comes down to whether a country has distribution or not, will it be like Candy and show in one or two theaters in only metropolitan areas.  It only showed for two days in NYC.  Heartbreaking.  And we also have to think, and this is very serious.  If it gets bought by a distributor, are they going to support it and really try to sell it.  Look at Candy.  It's North American distribution rights were bought by ThinkFilm (who the exhibitors told me have a terrible reputation for not working to sell or support their films).  They put no effort into selling that film to exhibitors.  The exhibitors got the film too late in many cases to even consider buying it.  ThinFILM was a Canadian company and didn't even release the film in their own country until well after it had been played and forgotten then only in a few theaters as a second feature after Brokeback Mountain.  Pathetic.  As for Brothers Grimm, they did nothing to promote it.  Again it didn't play nearly the theaters it should have.  It was a great film.  But the public as a whole didn't even know it existed.  There was a fight between Harvey and Bob Weinstein and Terry because they wanted to butcher his film and he refused so it took almost 3 years to even get it released.  Then they released it as a 3rd quarter film.  Films that are released in the third quarter (September through October) after summer block busters and before the holdiay and award blitz are what the industry calls "throw away movies."  They get minimum publicity and minimum distribution.  Now here's the heartbreaking news.  It was announced last week by the publicist for the film that they are planning a 3rd quarter release for this film too.  You know what that means.  It is a cause for great concern.

And after the distributors buy it, then they have to sell it to exhibitors.  Exhibitors are only going to take it if they think it will fill theaters, which comes from public knowledge of the existence of a film.  So they choose between Harry Potter sequel 50001 that gets crammed down the entire public's throat or Imaginarium who the public as a whole around the globe doesn't even know exits. 

We know about this film because we are fans and we go to specific fan areas that are about the film, but the general public around the globe doesn't know of it to even go find out about it.  So that's what our first job is on the forum and why it is so vital that we not only join but participate and keep the forum alive daily.  This is the period of time we must raise awareness for this film around the globe, then we will move into distribution and exhibitors and we need to do it with one big community voice.  A consortium of sites and fans.  We need to make ourselves a force to be reckoned with.  We learned a lot from Candy and the exhibitors and distributors who became our supporters.  We now know to use it from the beginning with Parnassus.

But the industry wants numbers.  They want to see a forum with not only lots of members but with active members.  To them that translates to butts in theater seats and that translates into $$$. 

Yes, it may be distributed in say, England and I don't doubt in the US, but in how many theaters, how many towns.  Or once again only in metropolises.  It needs to come to home towns.

I'm sorry, I truly didn't mean to go on about this, but it is our last chance to promote a movie for Heath.  We have no do overs.  No matter how heartbreaking it is to know this or how busy our lives are, we need to band together in one non-site specific area and we need to speak together.  Distributors have already told us they will listen to one, professional, well organized group but individual or small groups of fans will be ignored because they do not have the resources to deal with that an it becomes a problem and an irritation.

Also, One of the Most Important things.  We are a consortium of sites.  A community of people from around the world working together and we want everyone to display their home site and a link to it hopefully in their signature.  We want visitors and the industry to then visit these amazing sites and see how these people feel and how devoted they are, how good they are.  We want visitors to visit your homesites as well.  We also have a links page for all sites who participate.  We want them to know we mean business and we are a force to be reckoned with.  So please register and make one post a day in whichever category you wish.  They are looking for numbers.  That's what will sway them.  So they want an active busy site.

Thanks for letting me say this and if it is in the wrong place or sounds preachy, I'm so sorry. I didn't mean it to.  But you are my friends and I can speak my heart here.  Because this is the last new film we will have of our dear boy, I feel a deep desperation to make sure that every fan, in every country see this movie on the big screen or at least have the opportunity to.  And you people have been nothing short of amazing.

We have to face it.  Producers don't like Terry.  He's a pain in their ass because he will not let them chop up his movies and destroy them.  He doesn't play their game.  He's so much like Heath and supporting him is like supporting Heath because Heath believed in him and loved him.  I admire the man.  Like Heath, he simply refuses to be controlled by the system.  They were two peas in a pod and Heath told me himself at an event that he loved Terry like a brother and he was his favorite director and he'd do anything to work with him again.

That is why the support forum exists.  So please join and participate, it's going to be a long hard battle and will take a commitment from you of at least one post a day and please please use the ennis jack button we made for you in your siggy.  We are so very honored to have you there and we want everyone to know.

Thanks again for letting me say the things I really need to share with you and for not getting mad at me for probably boring you with all the technical stuff of it all.

And remember if you post to other stars or other topics you are helping Heath because helping one helps everyone because everyone who comes to the site, especially the industry want to see a well rounded forum.

I can never tell you people how much I love all of you and respect the terrific folks you are.  You have just been amazing.

Hugs
Theresa
Theresa

babytammy7

Hi Theresa!!

I’m a member of the forum and I’ve read a few threads there. But I think I’ve only posted twice. I have a big problem that doesn’t let me post and read as much as I want.

I wear contact lens, and still my eyes and head use to hurt every time I read something written with tiny letters or something dark. I have migraines. So I can’t look at some layouts because it hurt my eyes and then my head hurt even more. I’ve tried and tried to read the forum….but the layout is so dark….I have problems to read it because my eyes hurt and then my head. I can post and read threads here at Ennisjack forum because its layout is very light and big and easy to read…

I know that others don’t have that problem but for me to read dark layouts is really an issue. I’m so sorry. But don’t worry. I’ll keep trying and post step by step.

Thank you for your understanding.  ^f^

Tammy.

Offline theresa

• Jack
Oh poor girl.  I'm so sorry.  I have migraines as well.  And, to be truthful.  I don't like dark forums either, lol.  I've been looking for a lighter skin for the forum and have plans to change it actually when I find a good one.  So, hang in there, I'm working on it.  I just like the brightness of a lighter forum.  It's so much easier to use!

I hope you feel better soon
Theresa

babytammy7

Thank you so much, Theresa!!  ^f^ I can't wait for the lighter colors so I can spend a good time there, reading and posting!! YAY!!  :clap: :clap:  &**) &**)

Offline atalley

• Jack
  • "Jack, I swear."
Thanks so much Tammy!  I also have migraines & can't read the fine type.  Also, something about the green hurts my eyes too.

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
Re: Please help The Imaginarium Of Dr. Parnassus find distributors!
« Reply #10 on: Mar 14, 2009, 08:53 PM »
Oh poor girl.  I'm so sorry.  I have migraines as well.  And, to be truthful.  I don't like dark forums either, lol.  I've been looking for a lighter skin for the forum and have plans to change it actually when I find a good one.  So, hang in there, I'm working on it.  I just like the brightness of a lighter forum.  It's so much easier to use!

I hope you feel better soon

That explains the change :)  well thanks Theresa I find it easier to watch and thanks for listening to your members, you're a doll.   ^f^
La dictature c'est ''ferme ta geule'', la démocratie c'est ''cause toujours''
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline theresa

• Jack
« Reply #11 on: Mar 15, 2009, 12:30 AM »
Totally my pleasure.  I think it looks so much better and it has a lot more perks like the links to all the other parts of the site like the gallery at the top and being able to make the type bigger if you have trouble seeing tiny type and such.  I like it a lot more.  I'm always more than glad to listen to the members I want you guys to be happy and have fun.  I want you to be comfortable there.

Have a great evening.

Theresa
Theresa

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #12 on: Mar 15, 2009, 12:13 PM »
I love the new look Theresa!

Offline theresa

• Jack
« Reply #13 on: Mar 15, 2009, 12:15 PM »
I love the new look Theresa!

Thank you.  I'm so glad.  It's so much more user friendly and convenient.

Theresa
Theresa

babytammy7

« Reply #14 on: Mar 15, 2009, 01:06 PM »
My God, Theresa!!!  (t) (t) (t) Thank you SO much!! The new layout is AMAZING!! YAY!!  :clap: :clap: :clap:

Offline theresa

• Jack
« Reply #15 on: Mar 15, 2009, 11:29 PM »
Awww Sweetie, you are so very welcome.  Enjoy!!
Theresa

Offline tizi17

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #16 on: Mar 16, 2009, 04:11 AM »
this looks really great!!  ^f^

Offline theresa

• Jack
« Reply #17 on: Mar 16, 2009, 09:13 AM »
We've just been joined by Depp Fans from Brazil and Depp Fans From Romania and Depp Fans from Italy.  I sent over 100 inidivual emails yesterday to websites for the other stars.  What a crazy day that was.  I was so tired when I went to bed last night I think I was asleep before my head hit the pillow, l9ol. (t)
Theresa

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #18 on: Mar 16, 2009, 03:43 PM »
You're doing a terrific job Theresa! I hope that the Jude Law fans and Colin Farrel fans will join as soon too.

My internet time is going to drop significantly, because I started a very intensive evening course in addition to my full time job, so I'm gonna get extra busy and not going to be around here as much as I used to. :( but I'll do my best to keep posting on the Parnassus thread as often as I can, even if it's only one or two posts a day...

Offline theresa

• Jack
« Reply #19 on: Mar 16, 2009, 08:18 PM »
Thank you so much Keren!  You just take care of that course you're taking.  Education is sooooo important.  My attorney's 15 year old daughter is in Tel Aviv for 3 months as an exchange student right now and she's studying her little heart out.  Her poor daddy is missing her so badly, it's just pitiful.  They had a little girl, Lali, the same age come and stay with them and study for 3 months earlier in the year and now Jordan is staying with Lali's family and studying.  It's an exchange program between Heschel, Jordan's school and Lali's school.  Jordan is loving it.  She's been to Israel many times, but only for 2 or 3 weeks at a time. 

Well, guys, we got their attention!  They definitely know that our support forum is there as I heard today from Graham Smith the publicist for the movie and he also posted a comment on the blog for the support forum.  He gave us some distribution information.  I emailed him back to thank him, invited him to the forum (though obviously he's already been there, lol) and asked him to please continue to send us any information that he felt comfortable passing on.  But that shows, we have already made enough noise that they are watching us and contacting us.  YES! YES! YES!!!!!!!!

You guys have been freakin' amazing!  We've made enough noise that this man obviously feels like the filmmakers owe us and answer and that we are important enough that they better start talking to us and starting a nice, friendly relationship with us.  You gotta love it and it is you guys and your commitment to the movie, Heath and the support forum that is accomplishing that.  It's all those posts and the tenacity.  You are all my total heroes!  (:) Thank you. 

Now that we have their attention, let's start pushing! :ghug:

Love
Theresa
Theresa

Offline tizi17

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #20 on: Mar 17, 2009, 03:52 AM »
this is great news theresa!  &**)

Offline LauraLovesLedger

• Ennis
  • Got me good
« Reply #21 on: Mar 17, 2009, 09:24 AM »
That is so wonderful, Theresa!! I'm so pleased to hear how much your hard work is beginning to pay off.   :) O0

And you are to thank every bit as much as us and then some!!  You are truly remarkable, and I can't thank you enough for caring so much about something that we care so much about, and moving mountains to realize our shared goal.   (:) (:) (:) (:)

Thank you again, sweetheart, and thank you, everyone else too, you beautiful people.  You're all just wonderful.  :ghug: :ghug: :ghug: :ghug:

Offline theresa

• Jack
« Reply #22 on: Mar 31, 2009, 11:08 PM »
IMPORTANT! NEWS!

I have been busy setting up some special things for The Imaginarium Of Dr. Parnassus Support Forum for you.  I have met and talked with one of the production assistants from the Vancouver shoot, who has now joined the forum and is going to be discussing all the production she was involved in for the Vancouver shoot as a member of the forum and she introduced me to Marc Leveille, the Key Production Assistant (the boss) who has agreed to do a Q&A  with me and answer our questions, give his perspective on the movie and more than that tell us all kinds of stories from the filming of the movie.  Mind you he was involved for the entire Vancouver shoot, he was not in London, but the stories will be wonderful and only for us and he will be giving us all the info he can from the inside.  So if you have questions you would like me to ask Marc, please pm them to me on the forum by the end of tomorrow.  He will be answering our questions specifically.  The only things that will be off limits, by my choice and his equally are spoilers.

I hope to have the Q&A and stories ready to post on the forum by the end of next week.  As I need to give him time to answer them.

Thanks,
Theresa
3/31/09
« Last Edit: Mar 31, 2009, 11:17 PM by FlwrChild »
Theresa

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #23 on: Apr 01, 2009, 12:22 PM »
Thank you for letting us know Theresa!

Offline theresa

• Jack
« Reply #24 on: Apr 01, 2009, 03:17 PM »
My pleasure.  He has some fabulous stories he's going to share with us as well as answering our quesitons.  Thank all of you for supporting the film.  Heath would be so proud to know you were carrying this forward.  He loved Terry so much.
Theresa

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #25 on: Apr 15, 2009, 08:23 AM »
I'm writing here to let people know that the release dates of Dr. Parnassus for the UK and the US has been removed from IMDB's list. I quote this post from Theresa's Dr. Parnassus forum:

I'm afraid at this point the the September release date for the UK and USA has now been removed since the deal that was supposed to go through evidently did not move forward. These are now the only official release dates given by IMDb, which is considered the Industry standard.

Netherlands 24 September 2009
Czech Republic 1 October 2009
Belgium 11 November 2009
France 11 November 2009

This usually means that either the distribution deal has changed and not continued forward as expected or that the release date has changed and it is not known what it has changed to or both.

I find it really disappointing, they don't have a release date for Israel either and I was thinking about going to London in June and watching it there. It just shows how important it is that we show the distributors again how much we want to see this movie and how strongly we feel about that. So please, go to the Dr. Parnassus Support Forum and post. this is the link again

http://www.imaginariumofdrparnassus.com/forum/index.php

Thank you!

Offline LauraLovesLedger

• Ennis
  • Got me good
« Reply #26 on: Apr 16, 2009, 10:59 PM »
:(  That is extremely disappointing.  :(

Will definitely keep posting on Theresa's forum, anything it takes to do Heath's memory justice. 

Offline theresa

• Jack
« Reply #27 on: Apr 18, 2009, 01:27 PM »
I'm writing here to let people know that the release dates of Dr. Parnassus for the UK and the US has been removed from IMDB's list. I quote this post from Theresa's Dr. Parnassus forum:

I'm afraid at this point the the September release date for the UK and USA has now been removed since the deal that was supposed to go through evidently did not move forward. These are now the only official release dates given by IMDb, which is considered the Industry standard.

Netherlands 24 September 2009
Czech Republic 1 October 2009
Belgium 11 November 2009
France 11 November 2009

This usually means that either the distribution deal has changed and not continued forward as expected or that the release date has changed and it is not known what it has changed to or both.

I find it really disappointing, they don't have a release date for Israel either and I was thinking about going to London in June and watching it there. It just shows how important it is that we show the distributors again how much we want to see this movie and how strongly we feel about that. So please, go to the Dr. Parnassus Support Forum and post. this is the link again

http://www.imaginariumofdrparnassus.com/forum/index.php

Thank you!

The Australian date seems to have moved to September 24 at this point.  It's looking like the majority of dates are going to be in the fall, however, as far as the UK is concerned, Terry has said that it may be a holiday season release which would be November or December.  We're waiting to see what happens.

A lot of sites are saying that it is a definite for Cannes, but it is NOT.  Don't let that mislead you.  Officially from Cannes itself they are saying that it is still UNDER CONSIDERATION but is not yet part of the line-up.  I'm hoping Cannes will make an announcement somewhere around the 24th of April regarding a definite as to whether it is in or out of Cannes.
Theresa

Offline LauraLovesLedger

• Ennis
  • Got me good
« Reply #28 on: Apr 26, 2009, 09:26 PM »
Hi, Theresa, just wanted to let you know that I haven't been able to log in to the forum for a while due to apparently entering the wrong password.  The funny thing is, I'm pretty positive I had the correct password.  But even so, I chose the "forgot my password" option, and was informed I would receive an email with the password...but days later, I still haven't received the email. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!!  :)

Offline theresa

• Jack
« Reply #29 on: Apr 26, 2009, 10:36 PM »
Can you please email me at parnassusmovie@yahoo.com so I can get some info from you so we can see if we can get it fixed.  The email isn't working correctly right now from the forum to me for some reason.  We'll get this taken care of for you.

Hugs
Theresa
Theresa