Author Topic: Does anyone know what Red-lined all the way means...  (Read 8270 times)

romeshvr

Does anyone know what Red-lined all the way means...
« on: Feb 17, 2006, 05:49 AM »
Can someone let me know what re-lined means?  thx.

Offline CakeSaint

• Cassie
Re: Does anyone know what Red-lined all the way means...
« Reply #1 on: Feb 17, 2006, 06:58 AM »
On the speedometer of a car, there is often a red line at the top (or "recommended" top) speed.  When Jack says he "red-lined" it, he means that he drove as fast as he could to get to Ennis faster.

Offline Cowboy Cody

• Jack + Ennis
  • Here I IS!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 17, 2006, 10:48 PM »
Self-admission for the soul...I've done that.  :o
You were goin' up there to go fishin'....NO SHIT! GIMME SEX!

Offline ragtimecowboy

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #3 on: Feb 18, 2006, 10:15 PM »
It means Jack put the pedal to the medal with the hope that Ennis was finally going to let it "be like this...forever." Unfortunately, he got his heart broke after all that speeding.

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
  • No longer using this account: frog123
« Reply #4 on: Feb 18, 2006, 10:18 PM »
Self-admission for the soul...I've done that.  :o

;)
Support bacteria, they are the only culture some people have!

If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I.
~ Michel Eyquem de Montaigne (1533-1592) ~ (Thankx to gimmejack)

Offline bbmlover

• Jack
  • Jack - I swear......
« Reply #5 on: Feb 18, 2006, 10:28 PM »

I had the same question - initially...

thanx guys...... the movie is getting in clearer & clearer - day by day.

Offline JackFFFFFFFTwist

• Cassie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 20, 2006, 11:51 AM »
today's cars don't have red line.....so good to know...

Offline karind1

• Jack
« Reply #7 on: Feb 20, 2006, 02:46 PM »
It means Jack put the pedal to the medal with the hope that Ennis was finally going to let it "be like this...forever." Unfortunately, he got his heart broke after all that speeding.

no after all that speeding, ennis pushed him into a wall and kissed him passionately-and then they went to a motel f*&ked their brains out-held each other and talked and then went to a mountain retreat for a couple of days.  however, if you want to be negative...go right ahead.  if you don't ever take the chance while you can and riisk getting your heart broken, then you may as well go live alone as a recluse away from anything that can hurt you.
your choice.

Offline ragtimecowboy

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #8 on: Feb 20, 2006, 03:01 PM »
karind1,
         I wasn't being negative. He did redline it all the way up to Enniis' place after he heard the news about the divorce. In his heart, he reallly thought now it could be "just like this forever." He did get his hope crushed badly and it hurt him deep. How deep was Jack's love? Deep enough for him to risk everything for the man he loved.

Offline Jack_ME

• My philosophy
  • Lureen
  • Jack in Maine
« Reply #9 on: Feb 20, 2006, 03:25 PM »
karind1,
         I wasn't being negative. He did redline it all the way up to Enniis' place after he heard the news about the divorce. In his heart, he really thought now it could be "just like this forever." He did get his hope crushed badly and it hurt him deep. How deep was Jack's love? Deep enough for him to risk everything for the man he loved.

Karind1 and ragtimecowboy,
Likely you've both already figured this out, but you're in two different incidents on this Red Line comment.

Karin described what happened: Jack makes the red line comment to Ennis, while they are in bed in the motel on that first reunion trip.

Ragtimecowboy, you're thinking of when he drove up unannounced after he got the postcard that Ennis had been divorced.

He MAY have red lined it on that trip too...likely did....and maybe in both directions.....but he only made the comment after driving up for the first reunion.

Jack in Maine
MY PHILOSOPHY DISCLAIMER: All my comments concern the MOVIE and the content and inferences obtained there. All interpretations, projections, speculations, and opinions about plot and characters are based SOLELY on the content of the movie. They can not be argued or debated by quoting the printed short story. A comparison of the two media is an interesting discussion but must be a separate discussion.

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
  • No longer using this account: frog123
« Reply #10 on: Feb 20, 2006, 04:39 PM »
Well we still have some sort of a red line on my car!!! After 70km/h and 130km/h
Support bacteria, they are the only culture some people have!

If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I.
~ Michel Eyquem de Montaigne (1533-1592) ~ (Thankx to gimmejack)

Offline Cowboy Cody

• Jack + Ennis
  • Here I IS!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 20, 2006, 06:41 PM »
Ayup, still a red line section on my SUV. Never got there yet on that one, but did rev it a few times on my old sports car.
You were goin' up there to go fishin'....NO SHIT! GIMME SEX!

Offline honestjoe1959

• Alma Jr.
  • a love that will never grow old...
« Reply #12 on: Feb 20, 2006, 10:32 PM »
'redline' refers to a tachometer.  depending on the engine, a car redlines at different rpm's.

the redline indicates danger of engine damage...but, in jack's case, he was in a hurry  lol.