Author Topic: Your Thought & Reaction from Golden Globe  (Read 39348 times)

Offline BADBRAD

• Love is a force of nature.
  • Alma Jr.
Re: Your Thought & Reaction from Golden Globe
« Reply #60 on: Jan 17, 2006, 04:19 PM »
I am beginning to wonder if Hollywood is jealous of BBM's overwhelming success.  It really came out of nowhere and took assumed glory from films like Munich, Walk The Line, Syriana, King Kong etc. 

BBM is already considered a "SMASH".  This 14 million dollar film has already grossed $32. million on no more than almost 700 screens; and its potential is almost limit less.
“You know it could be like this, just like this, always.”

Offline Toadily

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
  • "Friend, we got ourselves a situation here"
« Reply #61 on: Jan 17, 2006, 04:23 PM »
Wait for the DVD sales folks.... 
"it's Love, Blockhead!"
-Pierre Marivaux  The Triumph of Love

"To love an idea is to love it a little more than one should."  -Jean Rostand

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #62 on: Jan 17, 2006, 05:58 PM »
Sadly, Dennis Quaid was a little jealous..I mean, he put out Sky High and the remake of Yours, Mine and Ours this year...his brother was in BBM, Dennis loves westerns and great roles. He probably would have jumped at the chance to play one of these cowboys---had he been young enough to get a part in BBM...more sad than mean...too bad for him.

I was great in Far from Heaven... playing a gay role.    He was never that good since then. What did he had on his mind?   ???
La dictature c'est ''ferme ta geule'', la démocratie c'est ''cause toujours''
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline jimnick

• Jack
« Reply #63 on: Jan 17, 2006, 06:01 PM »
I am beginning to wonder if Hollywood is jealous of BBM's overwhelming success.  It really came out of nowhere and took assumed glory from films like Munich, Walk The Line, Syriana, King Kong etc. 

BBM is already considered a "SMASH".  This 14 million dollar film has already grossed $32. million on no more than almost 700 screens; and its potential is almost limit less.

It will go down in history as "Gay Gone With The Wind"   ... and remember You saw it when it was new!

Jim

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #64 on: Jan 17, 2006, 07:08 PM »
After watching the red carpet and GG awards, I didn't feel that BBM had 7 nominations, the one receiving the most.

I felt BBM was an underdog and finally climbed to the top to snap 4 wins. I don't think GG or the Red Carpet program did a justice for BBM.

Is it just me or everyone else feels the same way?

ethan, I cannot agree more.  They certainly LOOKED and FELT like the underdog.  The E channel irritated me a bit by showing more of everybody else, which is probably to be expected from Hollywood's factionalism.  Nevertheless, even with 'Walk the Line' taking a bit of the spotlight, 'Brokeback Mountain' is still the film to beat, come the Oscars. 

I have to say - the crew and cast from BBM are very humble and probably told to stay low key (did you see those from Desparate Wives?). The BBM wins last night was pretty much like Ennis's character - unattached most of time and only shined occasionally.

As soon as I heard "gay cowboys" from Dennis Q - I was already upset. He needs to be boooooooooooooooed. Also why did he say BBM as "controversial" movie? 

It may be controvisal but it is not for him to say as a presenter of the movie.

I certainly got the feeling that they were not as glamourous as the rest.  And look at Ang Lee -- talk about humble!

Let's hope this unpretentious look would work in their favor.  A lot of people complain of all the supposed hype this movie is getting.  Whatever hype is generated, it certainly is not coming from this loveable cast and crew...

Offline sweetlilg

• "Jack, I swear..."
  • Ennis
  • Could be like this.. just like this - ALWAYS!
« Reply #65 on: Jan 17, 2006, 07:08 PM »

It will go down in history as "Gay Gone With The Wind"   ... and remember You saw it when it was new!

Jim

YES YES YES!  ;D

way to go BBM! YEEHAAW!
"Sometimes I miss you SO MUCH I can hardly stand it" - Jack <3

RIP Heath ♥ Heath, I swear...

BrokeBack Mountain is the BEST! It has won the Oscar of my heart!

greenfrog

« Reply #66 on: Jan 17, 2006, 08:40 PM »
I love this quote so much I had to post it....

"As I was coming in I felt a little tug at my skirt and I looked and there was a little girl maybe 8 or 10 in her first party dress and she said, 'Because of you I want to be president someday.' And I just well, that didn't actually happen (Awwww) but it could have." Geena Davis, best actress in a TV drama for "Commander in Chief."

Offline natalia

• Alma
« Reply #67 on: Jan 17, 2006, 08:42 PM »

"As I was coming in I felt a little tug at my skirt and I looked and there was a little girl maybe 8 or 10 in her first party dress and she said, 'Because of you I want to be president someday.' And I just well, that didn't actually happen (Awwww) but it could have." Geena Davis, best actress in a TV drama for "Commander in Chief."
Haha that as an awesome moment!
She was my favourite non BBM person of the night. Best dressed *and* charming to boot
Give me your hand
And take what you will tonight, I'll give it as fast
And high as the flame will rise
Cinder and smoke
Some whispers around the trees
The juniper bends
As if you were listening

Offline sweetlilg

• "Jack, I swear..."
  • Ennis
  • Could be like this.. just like this - ALWAYS!
« Reply #68 on: Jan 17, 2006, 08:53 PM »

she looked awesome.. and her speech was one of the ones that i really LOVED!!
"Sometimes I miss you SO MUCH I can hardly stand it" - Jack <3

RIP Heath ♥ Heath, I swear...

BrokeBack Mountain is the BEST! It has won the Oscar of my heart!

greenfrog

« Reply #69 on: Jan 18, 2006, 01:26 AM »
I loved her speech as well as Ang Lee's, S. Epatha Merkerson's, Hugh Laurie's and Steve Carrell (who kept thanking his wife).  ;D

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #70 on: Jan 18, 2006, 10:07 AM »
I quickly saw GG again last night - FFing non-BBM parts. A few reactions -

Did you notice that Heath was applauding for himself when his name was announced in the award of best actor?

After Hilary Swank announced "Heath Ledger" - Heath just applauded with everyone else for 2 seconds then realized he should not have. He turned to Michelle and said something like (from reading his lips) - Did I applaud myself?  Leno also mentioned this last night in his interview with Heath. Heath responded - it was kinda embarrassing to applaud yourself. He did it because the award lasted for about 6 hours and he just kept applauding throughout the show. When it came to his name, he just applauded.

Too bad that Michelle and Heath didn't win. I could feel their disappointment at the end when BBM won the Best Picture. For the movie like BBM who succeeded by the portrayals of characters, it is hard to imagine that it didn't get any acting award.

I hope BBM will follow the example of Million Dollar Baby last year at Oscar which won Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actress, and Best Supporting Actor.
Remembering Pierre (chameau) 1960-2015, a "Capricorn bro and crazy Frog Uncle from the North Pole." You are missed

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
  • No longer using this account: frog123
« Reply #71 on: Jan 18, 2006, 01:11 PM »

Did you notice that Heath was applauding for himself when his name was announced in the award of best actor?

After Hilary Swank announced "Heath Ledger" - Heath just applauded with everyone else for 2 seconds then realized he should not have. He turned to Michelle and said something like (from reading his lips) - Did I applaud myself?  Leno also mentioned this last night in his interview with Heath. Heath responded - it was kinda embarrassing to applaud yourself. He did it because the award lasted for about 6 hours and he just kept applauding throughout the show. When it came to his name, he just applauded.

Too bad that Michelle and Heath didn't win. I could feel their disappointment at the end when BBM won the Best Picture. For the movie like BBM who succeeded by the portrayals of characters, it is hard to imagine that it didn't get any acting award.

I hope BBM will follow the example of Million Dollar Baby last year at Oscar which won Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actress, and Best Supporting Actor.

Hope so too!

Heath is so sweet...applauded himself..bless !
Support bacteria, they are the only culture some people have!

If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I.
~ Michel Eyquem de Montaigne (1533-1592) ~ (Thankx to gimmejack)

Offline natalia

• Alma
« Reply #72 on: Jan 18, 2006, 11:53 PM »

Aw, I usually hate when actors applaud for themselves but the fact that he didn't even realize he was doing it and then caught himself is too cute- and real too!

PS: For my full, for my somewhat BBM related  "Best Moments of the Golden Globe Awards" commentary, hit up www.kiltgirl.blogspot.com  :-*
Give me your hand
And take what you will tonight, I'll give it as fast
And high as the flame will rise
Cinder and smoke
Some whispers around the trees
The juniper bends
As if you were listening

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #73 on: Jan 19, 2006, 06:53 AM »
Great commentary and thanks for posting.

Anne was just adorable. Heath and Michelle made a lot of eye contact as they spoke to each other. Great couple I would say.
Remembering Pierre (chameau) 1960-2015, a "Capricorn bro and crazy Frog Uncle from the North Pole." You are missed

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #74 on: Jan 19, 2006, 06:35 PM »
Anne was just adorable. Heath and Michelle made a lot of eye contact as they spoke to each other. Great couple I would say.

Great couple!

During the last second before best actor was to be named, we had a shot of them holdings hands and Michelle watery eyes.

Haw!  :-\

La dictature c'est ''ferme ta geule'', la démocratie c'est ''cause toujours''
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
Update on the Chick-flick comment
« Reply #75 on: Jan 27, 2006, 05:39 AM »
from the Interview with the producer

What was the reaction to Dennis Quaid's 'chick flick' joke at the Golden Globes?

"There was no real reaction. It laid very flat in the room as it probably should have. People just moved on. Obviously when you're in that situation and somebody's yelling out the name of your movie it's easy to forget the minute that happened just before."

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
Why Jake didn't attend the Globe
« Reply #76 on: Jan 27, 2006, 05:43 AM »
A lot of people have been wondering why Jake didn't show up for the Golden Globes.

"Well, he wasn't nominated and the Globes made a decision on their own not to include him in the Supporting Actor category which we felt was a real disservice to Jake. Of course, he's been nominated in that category by the SAG awards, the BAFTA awards, and — knocking on wood here for you know what. So, it's been great. But he came to our pre-Globes party. He's been a good sport."

from the interview with BBM producer.

http://towleroad.typepad.com/towleroad/2006/01/interview_with_.html

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
Re: Why Jake didn't attend the Globe
« Reply #77 on: Jan 27, 2006, 08:09 AM »
A lot of people have been wondering why Jake didn't show up for the Golden Globes.

"Well, he wasn't nominated and the Globes made a decision on their own not to include him in the Supporting Actor category which we felt was a real disservice to Jake. Of course, he's been nominated in that category by the SAG awards, the BAFTA awards, and — knocking on wood here for you know what. So, it's been great. But he came to our pre-Globes party. He's been a good sport."

Yes, this is what I had heard: that the HFPA decided to consder Gyllenhaal and Ledger as CO-LEAD ACTORS and invariably selected Ledger.  In my opinion, Ledger is fully deserving of the nomination for best actor in the GG (he also should have won), but Gyllenhaal FULLY deserved the nomination in the best SUPPORTING actor category.

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
Excellent interview!
« Reply #78 on: Jan 27, 2006, 08:24 AM »

Great interview!  Very well articulated ideas/opinions!

Offline stephan

• Jack + Ennis
Re: Excellent interview!
« Reply #79 on: Jan 27, 2006, 04:26 PM »

Great interview!  Very well articulated ideas/opinions!

Million thanks for this post, no show-biz blahblahblah but clear intelligent speech.  :D
Stephan

Offline coguaro

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #80 on: Jan 27, 2006, 06:31 PM »
Is it possible that Ledger could win Oscar if he didn't win Golden Globe???

baci
coguaro
I swear... I will never mistake again...

Offline Toadily

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
  • "Friend, we got ourselves a situation here"
« Reply #81 on: Jan 27, 2006, 06:33 PM »
Is it possible that Ledger could win Oscar if he didn't win Golden Globe???

baci
coguaro

Oh for sure, it is very possible.  Many factors etc.
"it's Love, Blockhead!"
-Pierre Marivaux  The Triumph of Love

"To love an idea is to love it a little more than one should."  -Jean Rostand

Offline coguaro

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #82 on: Jan 27, 2006, 06:48 PM »
well.. ive a big hope

coguaro
I swear... I will never mistake again...

Offline Italian_Dude

• Jack + Ennis
  • Love is Never Wrong
« Reply #83 on: Jan 30, 2006, 07:44 PM »
BEST ACTOR = HEATH LEDGER

THANK YOU.

hahaha!
You and me together
Through the days and nights
I don't worry 'cause
Everything's gonna be all right
People keep talking
They can say what they like
But all I know is everything's gonna be all right..