Author Topic: An unused scene from an early script  (Read 3043 times)

Offline kitty

• Old Brokeback got me good
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Save a horse, ride a cowboy! Yeehaw!
An unused scene from an early script
« on: Apr 27, 2011, 12:06 PM »
I found a script from 2003 online and I saw a scene that wasn't in the final movie. It's an unused scene from the Twist Ranch. You know how Ennis has a flashback during the reunion of seeing Earl's body? Well during the unused scene while talking to Jack's father, Ennis appears to have another, but as the camera pans up, he doesn't see Earl, he sees Jack.

How scary is that? I'm glad this went unused, I don't think I could have coped :-\\ the tire iron scene was bad enough :-\\ 

Offline rdx

• Jack
Re: An unused scene from an early script
« Reply #1 on: Apr 28, 2011, 12:11 PM »
Thanks kitty for the 'tip'; I found the script too.

An interesting flashback indeed, but, I think, it would have been 'too much' after the Ennis-Lureen conversation on the phone. It was/is so obvious that it was the tire iron...
"I'm spurrin' his guts out! Wavin' to the girls in the stands! He's kickin' me to high heaven, but he don't jackboard me! No!" Jack

Offline kitty

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #2 on: Apr 28, 2011, 12:18 PM »
Thanks kitty for the 'tip'; I found the script too.

An interesting flashback indeed, but, I think, it would have been 'too much' after the Ennis-Lureen conversation on the phone. It was/is so obvious that it was the tire iron...

Yep, cruel irony at its best :-\\

I couldn't have coped with seeing Jack's body the way we see Earl's :_(

Offline jackster

• Ennis
  • dumbass missin'
« Reply #3 on: Apr 28, 2011, 02:31 PM »
This sounds like an attempt to visualize what is in the SS when John Twist is talking to Ennis and says:

"Then this spring he's got another one's goin' a come up here with him and build a place and help run the ranch, some ranch neighbor a his from down in Texas. He's goin' a split up with his wife and come back here. So he says. But like most a Jack's ideas it never come to pass."

So now he knew it had been the tire iron."

Ennis's vision here of Jack and "another one" confirming that Jack had been found out and dispatched like Earl. I'd agree, when combined with the previous vision Ennis had when talking with Lureen it'd be too much. Of course if the Lureen vision had not been used in the film then it might have been necessary to include it here in order to make the connection with Ennis's own confirmation that it had been the tire iron and not an accident.
we get to drinkin' and talkin' an all

Offline rdx

• Jack
« Reply #4 on: Apr 29, 2011, 04:49 AM »
Right on jackster & kitty.

There are also some other interesting pieces in the 2003 script; i.e. the motel scene is somewhat longer and it retains some important conversation from the SS.
"I'm spurrin' his guts out! Wavin' to the girls in the stands! He's kickin' me to high heaven, but he don't jackboard me! No!" Jack

Offline kitty

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #5 on: Apr 29, 2011, 06:06 AM »
Right on jackster & kitty.

There are also some other interesting pieces in the 2003 script; i.e. the motel scene is somewhat longer and it retains some important conversation from the SS.

I wish the motel scene could've been longer in other ways, if you catch my drift ^-^

Offline myprivatejack

• Jack + Ennis
  • It could be like this,just like this...always
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 09:43 AM »
I only have the definitive script...If you could tell me where I can find this one from 2003,I will thank you very much ¡  :)
Ennis’s eyes gone bright with shock, mouth opening then closing again. “Love?” Ennis said finally, voice strangling in his throat.

Jack smiled sad. “Yeah, Ennis. Love.” Leaned forward and kissed Ennis’s temple, whispered, “What’d you think it was, all this time?”
("If I asked")
                         ----------------
Heathcliff Andrew Ledger (1979-2008)/Rajel Karen Ashkenazi (1986-2008)
You will be forever in my heart,friends.

Offline kitty

• Jack + Ennis

Offline kitty

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 10:22 AM »
I've just seen something else. The scene where Jack's peeling potatoes while Ennis is washing naked behind him...in this early script, Jack sneaks glances at him now and again ^-^

If only ;D

Offline myprivatejack

• Jack + Ennis
  • It could be like this,just like this...always
Ennis’s eyes gone bright with shock, mouth opening then closing again. “Love?” Ennis said finally, voice strangling in his throat.

Jack smiled sad. “Yeah, Ennis. Love.” Leaned forward and kissed Ennis’s temple, whispered, “What’d you think it was, all this time?”
("If I asked")
                         ----------------
Heathcliff Andrew Ledger (1979-2008)/Rajel Karen Ashkenazi (1986-2008)
You will be forever in my heart,friends.

Offline Romeo164

• Jack
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2011, 04:10 PM »
This may be a case where less is actually more. A less able director or screenwriter might have tried to insert those scenes to help the audience along with the emotion, but that would have been less effective in the end, I think.

Thanks for the info kitty.
Your folks just called you Ennis?

Offline kitty

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2011, 07:09 AM »
This may be a case where less is actually more. A less able director or screenwriter might have tried to insert those scenes to help the audience along with the emotion, but that would have been less effective in the end, I think.

Thanks for the info kitty.

I think the tire iron scene was only just tolerable cos it's over pretty quickly and Jack's face is upside down on screen and harder to see, you know? If the camera lingered over his body like it does in the Earl flashback, that would have been too much :-\\

Offline chowhound

• Lureen
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2011, 11:45 AM »
There are a number of intermediate scripts between the one Kitty has mentioned - Feb 1/2003 -  and the final script of of April 16/May 5, 2004 but this particular scene makes it through all the intermediate revisions and it was Ang Lee who finally decided to cut it though it may well have been filmed. In an interview Ang talks about how he felt the inclusion of the flashback didn't fit in with the emotional tensions in Ennis's meeting with Jack's parents.

Offline kitty

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2011, 11:50 AM »
I'm glad it was cut, I could not have coped seeing Jack or Jake like that, I saw that deleted scene from Donnie Darko *shudders* :-\\

And you're right, it wouldn't have fit in, the scene is supposed to be about Ennis's heartbreak over losing Jack and looking for some solace and closure. It wouldn't have done him any good to keep dwelling on how it happened, and if you can't fix it you've gotta stand it, remember? :-\\

Offline Rubyblue

• Cassie
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2011, 01:15 PM »

Offline Mahogany

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #15 on: Sep 22, 2019, 07:13 PM »
Whatever
All that was just Ennis' imagination

Jack wasn't murdered