Author Topic: LIVE THREAD: BAFTA Awards - BBM Won 4 - Thought & Reaction  (Read 219507 times)

Offline karind1

• Jack
BBM Won 4 BAFTA

Best Picture
Best Director
Best Adapted Screenplay
Best Supporting Actor

Complete list of BAFTA winner

Brokeback Sweeps BAFTAS, Wins Four

BAFTA Wins

Bafta 2006: The winners
The full list of winners for the Orange Bafta Film Awards 2006, held the Odeon Leicester Square, central London.
Best film
Brokeback Mountain

Best British film
Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Were Rabbit

Best actor in a leading role
Philip Seymour Hoffman - Capote

Best actress in a leading role
Reese Witherspoon - Walk The Line

Best actor in a supporting role
Jake Gyllenhaal - Brokeback Mountain

Best actress in a supporting role
Thandie Newton - Crash

Original screenplay
Crash - Paul Haggis/Bobby Moresco

Adapted screenplay
Brokeback Mountain - Larry McMurtry/Diana Ossana

The David Lean Award for achievement in direction
Ang Lee - Brokeback Mountain

The Carl Foreman Award for special achievement by a British Director/Producer or Writer in their first feature film
Joe Wright (Director) - Pride & Prejudice

Best film not in the English language
De Battre Mon Coeur S'est Arrete

The Anthony Asquith Award for achievement in film music
Memoirs of a Geisha - John Williams

Cinematography
Memoirs of a Geisha

Editing
The Constant Gardener

Production design
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Costume design
Memoirs of a Geisha

Sound
Walk the Line

Achievement in special visual effects
King Kong

Make Up and Hair
The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

Short animation film
Fallen Art

Short Film
Antonio's Breakfast

Academy Fellowship
David Puttnam

The Michael Balcon Award for Outstanding British Contribution to Cinema
Robert (Chuck) Finch and Bill Merrell

-------------------------------
i have dish network (satellite) and it is on channel 135 at 5pm pacific standard time which is 8 pm eastern standard time.. LIVE i believe on sunday feb. 19th.  it is also repeated at 8pm and also feb. 26 is repeated.
for those of you who can get bbc america this is so way way cool BBM is nominated for i believe 9 BAFTA awards.  whoa   shoot i JUST (a couple of hours ago) realized i have tickets to see last performance of Riverdance in Hollywood at Pantages Theater and it starts at 6:30.  boooooooooooohooooooooooooo.   I have had tix for so long.  oh my.  gotta go to it.  ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh   
I just made decicision to not go to Riverdance.  Not interested really in seeing it.  I wanted Michael whats his name to be in it.  It is a bunch of dancing ladies.  Rather watch BAFTA.
« Last Edit: Feb 19, 2006, 11:19 PM by ethan »

Offline jacktwist

• Alma Jr.
i have dish network (satellite) and it is on channel 135 at 5pm pacific standard time which is 8 pm eastern standard time.. LIVE i believe on sunday feb. 19th.  it is also repeated at 8pm and also feb. 26 is repeated.
for those of you who can get bbc america this is so way way cool BBM is nominated for i believe 9 BAFTA awards.  whoa   shoot i JUST (a couple of hours ago) realized i have tickets to see last performance of Riverdance in Hollywood at Pantages Theater and it starts at 6:30.  boooooooooooohooooooooooooo.   I have had tix for so long.  oh my.  gotta go to it.  ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh   
I just made decicision to not go to Riverdance.  Not interested really in seeing it.  I wanted Michael whats his name to be in it.  It is a bunch of dancing ladies.  Rather watch BAFTA.

Hey,

I'll be watching the BAFTAs on the BBC here in England.

Just wanted to give you a heads-up: the BAFTAs have a bit of repuation for poking Hollywood in the eye. Poor British films often get the nod over superior efforts from across the pond.

Everything I can cross is crossed for Brokeback, but I think that The Constant Gardener (perceived as British) will be the big winner.  >:(

I have already prepared an arsenal of cushions to throw at the TV...

Jack.
King of the Road

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
  • No longer using this account: frog123

Hahahahaha!!!

Yeah the Constant Gardener might get quite a few nods!!
Bugger!
Support bacteria, they are the only culture some people have!

If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I.
~ Michel Eyquem de Montaigne (1533-1592) ~ (Thankx to gimmejack)

Offline Rod

• Alma Jr.

Since ure accross the pond do you know if Jake and Heath are attending?

Hey,

I'll be watching the BAFTAs on the BBC here in England.

Just wanted to give you a heads-up: the BAFTAs have a bit of repuation for poking Hollywood in the eye. Poor British films often get the nod over superior efforts from across the pond.

Everything I can cross is crossed for Brokeback, but I think that The Constant Gardener (perceived as British) will be the big winner.  >:(

Jack.

Offline Tom

• Jack + Ennis
I'll also be watching here on Sunday in Bonnie Scotland. I've already planned a big fight with my family on Sunday afternoon, where I can storm out in a huff.  That way non of the buggers will be speaking to be for a day or so, that way the chatty cathy's that they usually are won't be able to call me and interupt my jubilation (hopefully not despair) when I see my baby romp home with all the awards.

The stuffy British Academy do tend to go for artistic crap (like Colin Farrel's The New World - has anyone seen this pile of shite.....God I want those 2+ hours of my life back....all arty farty shots and voice overs and no substance)

Having seen the Constant Gardner and Capote, I'm a wee bit nervous for Heath and Michelle.  No scrap that I have total faith.

If I wasn't on my BBM diet and have the Nachos and Coke all set up to celebrate.

The comments about the cushions made me laugh........many years ago there was a weekly TV talent show on British TV....my Gran used to keep a box of wool at the side of her chair. If she didn't like an act she'd throw a ball at the screen. What fun we kid's had rolling them all back up for her later. She was a true British Eccentric.

« Last Edit: Feb 19, 2006, 12:06 AM by tombul »
Actually, "life does get better than this"

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
I don't have the channel to watch the awards. Perhaps someone will do some live reporting in this thread?
Remembering Pierre (chameau) 1960-2015, a "Capricorn bro and crazy Frog Uncle from the North Pole." You are missed

Offline Tom

• Jack + Ennis
Couldn't sleep, got up took a peep, have to go again

but I will keep you updated re the BAFTA's later

Goodnight/morning whatever

Tom

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
Couldn't sleep, got up took a peep, have to go again

but I will keep you updated re the BAFTA's later

Goodnight/morning whatever

Tom

Thanks, Tom
Remembering Pierre (chameau) 1960-2015, a "Capricorn bro and crazy Frog Uncle from the North Pole." You are missed

Offline backtobrokeback

• Alma
  • Jack, I swear... --
I can attempt it, if my S.O. doesn't get too antsy about me watching three hours of awards and running to the computer (which he can't use, nor can he change the TV channel!).  I hope I can catch most of it; Ang and Jake are confirmed, others are unconfirmed.

btb
He pressed his face into the fabric and breathed in slowly through his mouth and nose, hoping for the faintest smoke and mountain sage and salty sweet stink of Jack but there was no real scent, only the memory of it, the imagined power of Brokeback Mountain of which nothing was left but what he held in his hands. Make the pledge! Go Back to Brokeback whenever, however you can. Join the BTB Project.

Offline jacktwist

• Alma Jr.
I don't have the channel to watch the awards. Perhaps someone will do some live reporting in this thread?

Computer near TV, so I'll try to send some postcards from the edge...
King of the Road

Offline alberta

• Cassie

What do you think I should throw at my 42" flat screen?  :-\ :P :o

Offline monicita

• Jack
I'll also be watching here on Sunday in Bonnie Scotland. I've already planned a big fight with my family on Sunday afternoon, where I can storm out in a huff.  That way non of the buggers will be speaking to be for a day or so, that way the chatty cathy's that they usually are won't be able to call me and interupt my jubilation (hopefully not despair) when I see my baby romp home with all the awards.

The stuffy British Academy do tend to go for artistic crap (like Colin Farrel's The New World - has anyone seen this pile of shite.....God I want those 2+ hours of my life back....all arty farty shots and voice overs and no substance)

Having seen the Constant Gardner and Capote, I'm a wee bit nervous for Heath and Michelle.  No scrap that I have total faith.

If I wasn't on my BBM diet and have the Nachos and Coke all set up to celebrate.

The comments about the cushions made me laugh........many years ago there was a weekly TV talent show on British TV....my Gran used to keep a box of wool at the side of her chair. If she didn't like an act she'd throw a ball at the screen. What fun we kid's had rolling them all back up for her later. She was a true British Eccentric.

Well, hi there, Tom!

How's the fight going? And the Bafta? Glad to hear someone is a fellow uddict up in Scotland. I'm heading out for Edinburgh tomorrow morning. First time ever in Scotland!

Cheers,

monicita
Love is a many splendoured thing...

Offline Tom

• Jack + Ennis
Well Moicita, it's 13:14 here in Edinburgh. Just got up after sitting up till 6:00 am. Kept coming back to chat with everyone.

As usual 'Auld Reekie' is pissin' down with rain. So make sure you bring wellies, a mac, and some long johns.

Decided not to start a fight, just gonna let the mother ring all night.

No-one , No one I say is gonna stop me watching the boy's romp home with the goodies.

Hope you enjoy our lovely (if wet) city.

Gotta go get myself and the couch of worship ready for tonight.

Tom

Offline monicita

• Jack
Do that, fellow addict! Um. I'll probably be there as well. At last, an awards show I can watch first hand. Hope it doesn't make me angry, though...

monicita
Love is a many splendoured thing...

Offline Tom

• Jack + Ennis
I know, I don't want to get my box of wool out for the BAFTA's.

I've watched Capote....didn't particularly like the movie but loved Philip in it . I tell you this I'm nervous for our boy in the best actor category. Also loved the Constant Gardener, but have to say for me Michelle was so so so much better.

Hey but what do we know, here's hopin' all those pooftah luvvies in the British Entertainment Industry (Academy)  will vote with their hearts and not their stuck up noses.

It's OK I'm allowed to say pooftah, being one myself!

Enjoy the show tonight.

Tom

Offline jacktwist

• Alma Jr.

I dread to think what I'll be like when I'm that age...  :o
King of the Road

Offline jacktwist

• Alma Jr.

What do you think I should throw at my 42" flat screen?  :-\ :P :o

You're going to have to switch to precision bombing... perhaps at short notice you could get some laser-guided cushions from eBay...  ;D
King of the Road

Offline Tom

• Jack + Ennis
What about heat seeking cushions?

Nah scrap that they would score a direct hit on our Jake and Heath the hottest things on the planet these days!

aimi15

I am both very nervous and excited about tonight-will be glued to tv come 9o'clock. Got my bottle of vodka at the ready either to toast our boys or drown sorrows in alcoholic stupor. They MUST win at least 5. Haven't seen constant gardener but have told myself it is total rubbish and if it does a full sweep it is a total travesty. Likewise crash. In fact every other film nominated against BBM is only there to make up the numbers and stands no REAL chance. Please tell me i'm not deluding myself.....they are going to do well aren't they.....AREN'T THEY????????????? ??? ??? ???

Offline jacktwist

• Alma Jr.

Hey but what do we know, here's hopin' all those pooftah luvvies in the British Entertainment Industry (Academy)  will vote with their hearts and not their stuck up noses.

We can but hope.

Still, it's one of those pooftah luvvies that I think will be the saving grace for the show... the magisterial Mr. Stephen Fry. In a complete break from tradition, a genuinely funny awards host. I can't wait to hear what he'll say about <3 Jake <3 and Heath given his previous comment about Daniel Craig...

Even if Briokeback doesn't win, the show should be worth it for that alone...
King of the Road

Offline jacktwist

• Alma Jr.
What about heat seeking cushions?

Nah scrap that they would score a direct hit on our Jake and Heath the hottest things on the planet these days!

So very very true.
King of the Road

Offline jacktwist

• Alma Jr.
I am both very nervous and excited about tonight-will be glued to tv come 9o'clock. Got my bottle of vodka at the ready either to toast our boys or drown sorrows in alcoholic stupor. They MUST win at least 5. Haven't seen constant gardener but have told myself it is total rubbish and if it does a full sweep it is a total travesty. Likewise crash. In fact every other film nominated against BBM is only there to make up the numbers and stands no REAL chance. Please tell me i'm not deluding myself.....they are going to do well aren't they.....AREN'T THEY????????????? ??? ??? ???

Having seen The Constant Gardener, it's a decent, heartfelt film (unlike the overblown Crash  >:(), but it's been done better before. It breaks no new ground... unlike another film we'll be cheering on.

Hope TCG doesn't do a full sweep... but you know what this country's like for the little Englander mentality (or little Scotsman... don't want anybody to feel left out  ;)).
King of the Road

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
Hello...what time is the awards supposed to start?

Offline Tom

• Jack + Ennis
Please tell me i'm not deluding myself.....they are going to do well aren't they.....AREN'T THEY????????????? ??? ??? ???

In the words of that great British Institution,  :-Michael Winner :-  "Calm down dear".

All is going to be fine, take two deep breaths, watch a couple of BBM music videos and call me in the morning

I am on tenterhooks about this show though myself. But as Jack says we've got the great Stephen Fry to keep our spirits up as well.

If things go horribly wrong we can always come back here,  ;D Where All The Good People Go ;D  Jack Johnson is obviously a fan of ennisjack.com.

love Tom

aimi15

Having seen The Constant Gardener, it's a decent, heartfelt film (unlike the overblown Crash  >:(), but it's been done better before. It breaks no new ground... unlike another film we'll be cheering on.

Hope TCG doesn't do a full sweep... but you know what this country's like for the little Englander mentality (or little Scotsman... don't want anybody to feel left out  ;)).
Yes i know, sometimes we're so tally-ho thats one in the eye for the yanks. I hope that this isn't one of those occasions. I have to say this is the only time i've genuinely cared about who wins what, and i think this time us brits should take a back seat and cheer on a film that deserves to win. GO BROKEBACK!!!!!!!

Offline Tom

• Jack + Ennis
Got my ra ra skirt on and Pom Poms in hand as we speak

Go Brokeback! Go Heath!
Go Jack, Michelle, Ang Lee!
Go Larry, Diana!
Senor Santaolalla!
Editing go far and
Cine-ma-to-graphar!

Sorry about the end best I could do on short notice.

Tom
« Last Edit: Feb 19, 2006, 09:39 AM by tombul »

Offline jacktwist

• Alma Jr.

9pm in the UK... please adjust to suit your colonial locale.  ;D
King of the Road

Offline Tom

• Jack + Ennis
Re: LIVE THREAD: BAFTA Awards (Feb 20)
« Reply #27 on: Feb 19, 2006, 09:44 AM »
Well after I finish my cheerleading....it will be donning the sir Sean Connery award ceremony rig out.

DJ, Black tie, Kilt and Sporran for me...with a wee hip flask (Johnny Walker will be my date tonight)!

What about you, suitably dressed I hope?

Tom

Offline bbmlover

• Jack
  • Jack - I swear......

..........wha(t)?......... i thought 4:00pm........ !!!!
are you sure?

Offline bbmlover

• Jack
  • Jack - I swear......

..........wha(t)?......... i thought 4:00pm........ !!!!
are you sure?

ok i correct myself.......... i checked the BBC-one programme schedule it is @ 9:00pm

(but why did sky-news say live coverage from 4:00pm!!!)

anyway - i'am here @9:00