Author Topic: When ennis hugs jack from behind ?  (Read 4790 times)

Offline Moviefanatic2017

• Cassie
When ennis hugs jack from behind ?
« on: Oct 22, 2017, 07:55 PM »
Hi I was just curious to know in the scene where ennis hugs jack from behind , was he singing to him or what ?

Offline Coraxx

• Alma Jr.
Re: When ennis hugs jack from behind ?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 23, 2017, 12:30 AM »
He was humming a lullaby  <^(

Offline tizi17

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
  • I love you Ennis, always did and always will..
« Reply #2 on: Oct 23, 2017, 05:05 AM »
have you ever read the short story from annie proulx?
there it says that he mumbled "you're sleeping on your feet like a horse"  :)
".. a love that dare not speak its name.." oscar wilde

Offline Coraxx

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #3 on: Oct 23, 2017, 05:09 AM »
You are right. Before humming, he says these words  :)

Offline jackster

• Ennis
  • dumbass missin'
« Reply #4 on: Oct 23, 2017, 09:34 AM »
Hi I was just curious to know in the scene where ennis hugs jack from behind , was he singing to him or what ?

Intrepreting your question as broadly as possible, and knowing Ennis like I do  ;) I've always liked to assume that there was plenty of "or what" also going on during that pose. As Ennis was holding Jack tight and pressing the front of his (Ennis's) body into the rear of Jack's, I think Jack was getting a good feel for what Ennis was wishing he could with Jack right then.  ::)

we get to drinkin' and talkin' an all

Offline Coraxx

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #5 on: Oct 26, 2017, 10:25 AM »
Intrepreting your question as broadly as possible, and knowing Ennis like I do  ;) I've always liked to assume that there was plenty of "or what" also going on during that pose. As Ennis was holding Jack tight and pressing the front of his (Ennis's) body into the rear of Jack's, I think Jack was getting a good feel for what Ennis was wishing he could with Jack right then.  ::)

Interesting interpretation 😈
But why didn't he go for it but say "I gotta go?"
Sheep be damned

Offline welshwitch

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #6 on: Oct 26, 2017, 02:08 PM »
It might also be easier for Ennis not to be face to face with Jack. Maybe he feels safer just looking over his shoulder; it's a sort of less committed, literally less confrontational position, and they are after all in the open air, in daylight.

Offline Coraxx

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #7 on: Oct 26, 2017, 02:43 PM »
Yes it might be easier for him, but it's also a very intimate and loving gesture hugging someone from behind and holding him so close.
Ennis shows so much love and affection in this scene.

Offline jackster

• Ennis
  • dumbass missin'
« Reply #8 on: Oct 27, 2017, 08:04 AM »
Interesting interpretation 😈
But why didn't he go for it but say "I gotta go?"
Sheep be damned

Coraxx

Here's my take on this scene - We're led to believe that this is an evening scene, late in the day. Ennis has come into the camp from his outpost on the mountain for dinner, and because it is now so late I've interpreted that to indicate that there was some after dinner intimate "relaxation" time between the two very similar to what we see in the SNIT when Ennis comes over to the tent to see Jack. (note: while the view pictured here looks to be in daylight, the description of the DE in the SS clearly indicates it is past sunset).

So, now it is very late and Ennis needs to get back to them damn sheep up on the mountain. Ennis has always taken his job very seriously, and of course, this is one of the continuing sore points with Jack for many years. Ennis is ready to head back, but when he spies Jack standing there by the campfire in a sleepy trance he can't resist going over and holding on to Jack from behind (apparently his favorite position with Jack) and giving him a squeeze to remind him of what they just did and what they will probably do again tomorrow when Ennis comes back. A nice little affectionate squeeze with subtle sexual overtones. Probably why Jack remembers it nearly twenty years later as the Dozy Embrace.

JMHO
we get to drinkin' and talkin' an all

Offline welshwitch

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #9 on: Oct 27, 2017, 01:10 PM »
Given Ennis's nature, this may also be the effect of loving Jack. Ennis isn't anything like as demonstrative as Jack, not just with him but also in his own life . He's a product of his time and class, and probably Western culture too, where "men are men" and all that.( Jack escaped all that for some reason -his parents?) He almost never shows signs of being aware of what would now be called his feminine side, except when it's awakened by Jack.

williepatterson

« Reply #10 on: Feb 19, 2018, 05:48 AM »
Yes, I think so too. It was a manifestation of his love and care for him and his words, which he then said, were also full of care and emotions

Offline FlwrChild

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #11 on: Feb 21, 2018, 02:22 PM »
It's such an interesting scene because it encompasses so much of what was pure and loving in their relationship even while highlighting (in the short story, not so much the movie) the aspect of their relationship where Ennis was uncomfortable thinking about loving a man. Holding him from behind like that allowed him to bask in the feel of his partner without having to look directly at him and acknowledge to himself that he was engaged in a purely affectionate, romantic embrace with a man.

As long as he told himself the sex was just 'something that came over them' but they weren't 'queer' he could convince himself their relationship was a legitimate friendship and not a love affair, which he just couldn't wrap his mind around. This was a moment where he allowed himself to let go of that and just relax into the embrace, humming the lullaby and swaying with Jack's movement in a pure gesture of affection and bonding. Small wonder indeed that Jack remembered such an embrace all those years later. These are the seemingly small but immeasurably important moments that shape our lives and our memories, especially once our loved one is no longer with us. 
For a moment in our lives. Forever in our hearts.

"They were respectful of each other’s opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had been expected." ~ BBM Short Story

There are three ways to ultimate success:
The first way is to be kind. The second way is to be kind. The third way is to be kind. (Mister Rogers)