Author Topic: After shooting the elk  (Read 17280 times)

Offline boots

• Lureen
  • angle of repose
After shooting the elk
« on: Feb 19, 2006, 12:11 PM »
What does Ennis say to Jack after the elk shooting...after he says he was "gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'."   I've seen the movie eight times and can't figure it out.  They both laugh and Jack seems particularly happy.

Can anyone tell me?  Thanks.
``[Jack and Ennis] taught all of us who made `Brokeback Mountain' so much about not just the gay men and women whose love is denied by society, but just as important, the greatness of love itself.'' -- Ang Lee

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
  • No longer using this account: frog123
Re: After shooting the elk
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2006, 12:34 PM »
From subtitles:

00:17:08,529 --> 00:17:10,197
Whoo-wee! Yeah!

00:17:10,781 --> 00:17:13,784
Was getting' tired of your dumbass missin'.
Support bacteria, they are the only culture some people have!

If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I.
~ Michel Eyquem de Montaigne (1533-1592) ~ (Thankx to gimmejack)

Offline dalemidex

• Alma
  • Friend that's more words than you spoke in 2 weeks
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2006, 12:37 PM »
What does Ennis say to Jack after the elk shooting...after he says he was "gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'."   I've seen the movie eight times and can't figure it out.  They both laugh and Jack seems particularly happy.

Can anyone tell me?  Thanks.

I don't think Ennis says much, if anything, after the dumbass missin' line.  Jack replies with a line (horribly paraphrased here) about getting it before they game warden catches them because they'd be in big trouble.  Took me many  many viewings to get that much out of the line, though someone with the script may have the exact words.

Offline jrfh50

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #3 on: Feb 19, 2006, 12:56 PM »
The line in the script (I never got it this way from the movie either until after I knew what the script says) is:

Jack: Let's get a move on. Don't want the Game and Fish to catch us with no deer.

Except, in the movie he says 'no elk' because the shot is of a large elk.
living with complicated emotions

Offline karind1

• Jack
« Reply #4 on: Feb 19, 2006, 03:05 PM »
The line in the script (I never got it this way from the movie either until after I knew what the script says) is:

Jack: Let's get a move on. Don't want the Game and Fish to catch us with no deer.

Except, in the movie he says 'no elk' because the shot is of a large elk.

get the book story to screenplay--at amazon or a bookstore.  some of the lines were hard for me to follow in the beginning and i use the story to screenplay as a guide to see what they said.  no i practically know everything by heart.  that book is invaluable.  it is at amazon.com for sure.  also--there is a little side story--ossana had to find out about and do research on what they really would have said-fish and game or game and fish..or forest service, i believe.  i read that in one of the interviews.

Offline boots

• Lureen
  • angle of repose
« Reply #5 on: Feb 19, 2006, 03:23 PM »
thanks for the information, everyone!  i'll get the screenplay...

take care
``[Jack and Ennis] taught all of us who made `Brokeback Mountain' so much about not just the gay men and women whose love is denied by society, but just as important, the greatness of love itself.'' -- Ang Lee

Offline sam

• "It was a Friendship...that became a Secret..."
  • Alma Jr.
  • Jake: Bafta Awards 2006:"Best Supporting Actor"
What exactly did Jack say to Ennis?
« Reply #6 on: Mar 03, 2006, 12:14 AM »
What exactly did Jack mumble into Ennis' ear in that short scene right after Ennis shoots the elk for food/meat...Jack lets out a huge: "Ooooeee ! Yeah !" and Ennis says to him something about being tired of his dumbass 'missing' all the time...

Then Jack leans over and mumbles something quick into Ennis' ear...

I could never hear it clearly (even after watchin' the movie already 10 times!)...all that I could fathom was something like:

"Let's get a move on...?????...catchin' us with no elk."

Can anyone help?  Thanks so much.
Once in a generation a movie comes along which changes the way we think about film...
"Brokeback Mountain" is that film.

Offline i2takpics

• Cassie
  • If this thing were to take a hold of us.......
Re: What exactly did Jack say to Ennis?
« Reply #7 on: Mar 03, 2006, 12:35 AM »
I don't know exactly but I think it's something like  "Lets catch us some fish to go with this elk"
??????????????????/

Offline justlikethisalways

• Alma
« Reply #8 on: Mar 03, 2006, 03:37 AM »
I think it's something like, "Let's get a move on, don't want the Fish and Game to catch us with no elk"

Offline Patriot1

• BBM. What could possibly top it?
  • Jack + Ennis
  • In loving memory of Matthew Shepard 1976 - 1998
« Reply #9 on: Mar 03, 2006, 04:10 AM »
What exactly did Jack mumble into Ennis' ear in that short scene right after Ennis shoots the elk for food/meat...Jack lets out a huge: "Ooooeee ! Yeah !" and Ennis says to him something about being tired of his dumbass 'missing' all the time...

Jack: Ooooeee!

Ennis: Was gettin' tired of your dumb ass missin'.

Jack: Let's get a move on. Don't want the Game and Fish catch us with no elk.

Tell you what...truth is, sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it...

Love is a force of nature.

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #10 on: Mar 03, 2006, 07:54 AM »

I think this what the screenplay indicates.  THe reference to the 'Game and Fish' catching them of course refers to the fact that Ennis and Jack were technically poachers at this point.

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #11 on: Mar 03, 2006, 02:33 PM »
Hi all, another thread has been started on same topic..I'll merge them together. x

If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I.

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #12 on: Mar 03, 2006, 03:07 PM »
Hi all, another thread has been started on same topic..I'll merge them together. x

Thanks Froggy!

Offline Patriot1

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #13 on: Mar 03, 2006, 03:26 PM »

I think this what the screenplay indicates.  THe reference to the 'Game and Fish' catching them of course refers to the fact that Ennis and Jack were technically poachers at this point.

Is it?  I don't know.  I quoted the exact words from the movie itself.

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #14 on: Mar 03, 2006, 03:53 PM »

Is it?  I don't know.  I quoted the exact words from the movie itself.

Well both of us agree on the general substance.  :)  I am not sure as to who has the exact words of the screenplay.  It is very possible that the words were slightly altered upon delivery in the the movie (as occurs in a number of places).  But your quote is accurate enough.
« Last Edit: Mar 03, 2006, 03:55 PM by tpe »

Offline sam

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #15 on: Mar 04, 2006, 02:58 AM »
 ;D ;D :D :D

Thank you to ALL of you who responded to this thread. I am very appreciative of your help in this one.  This particular line in itself is but one small sentence in the script in its entirety, but, for aficionados of the film like we are, it is one of the couple that were not immediately 'understandable' at first screening...and since we love the film so much...it became important to us to have it 'translated'...as we want to treasure EVERY single, tiny tidbit from this wonderful film...no matter how small or insignificant it may seem to be (to 'outsiders')....

This is such a great forum! Finally! I found some other peeps who love the film as much as I do! (I'm only sorry that I found it so late...)

Sigh....sometimes I feel 'abnormal'....It's sad, but I am the only one in my 'close friend group' who is so crazy about this film...others (including my partner!) just 'mildly' LIKED the film....and they don't understand why I am so completely 'obsessed' with it....sigh...they all laugh when I start crying when I see ANYthing pertaining to the film on tv...(so much now appearing, leading up to the Oscars...hehe) I am so touched by the movie, that my eyes fill up with tears almost immediately when I hear even any part of the movie score being played...pathetic, huh?  :-X

It's nice to read what all of you have to say...your thoughts, your opinions...your reactions...  And...of course, like in this thread, everyone's help with contributing valuable tidbits of film information to the 'BM lover community-at-large' makes the film even more heartwarming for everyone.

Thank you, thank you, thank you to you all.  Especially to the admin's and moderators who make this all possible!

sam

« Last Edit: Mar 04, 2006, 03:00 AM by sam »
Once in a generation a movie comes along which changes the way we think about film...

Offline justlikethisalways

• Alma
« Reply #16 on: Mar 04, 2006, 04:06 AM »
sam -- you're welcome! Yes, this is a very supportive and helpful group here. And many of us know just how you feel -- my partner does not understand my BBM obsession either. Look forward to reading more of your posts!  :)

Offline Patriot1

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #17 on: Mar 04, 2006, 04:13 AM »

For the little I contributed, you're welcome. And welcome to The Brokeback Mountain Forum

This is such a great forum! Finally! I found some other peeps who love the film as much as I do! (I'm only sorry that I found it so late...)

Sam I think you are going to find, if you haven't already, that not only is this a great forum, but the people here are super fantactic and loving. I have NEVER found a place where people, of all orientations, all genders and from around the world get together and there isn't a cross word written. It is just fantastic.

Quote from: sam
Sigh....sometimes I feel 'abnormal'....It's sad, but I am the only one in my 'close friend group' who is so crazy about this film...others (including my partner!) just 'mildly' LIKED the film....and they don't understand why I am so completely 'obsessed' with it....sigh...

The movie affects different people differently; some more than others and some not at all; but they are rare.  We had a discussion about why the movie affects us so much but I don't think we ever came up with a concensus. It probably affects each of us for different reasons.

Quote from: sam
...they all laugh when I start crying when I see ANYthing pertaining to the film on tv...(so much now appearing, leading up to the Oscars...hehe) I am so touched by the movie, that my eyes fill up with tears almost immediately when I hear even any part of the movie score being played...pathetic, huh?  :-X

Well, don't feel bad, I have PBS (Post Brokeback Syndrome) so bad that I cry when I see the Budweiser commercial with two cowboys in it.  That's bad!  But, whenever there is something, somewhere, that is western, it makes me think of BBM and the tears flow. I have even started to cry for no apparent reason.  I can't figure that one out.

And to answer your question, NO it is NOT pathetic at all.

Have fun, write lots of messages and enjoy the wonderful people.

Oh! And by the way, if you have the hots for Ennis, DO NOT tell frog123.  She will scratch your eyes out!!
YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!   ;D
« Last Edit: Mar 04, 2006, 04:18 AM by Patriot1 »

Offline sam

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #18 on: Mar 04, 2006, 04:28 AM »
You are all so great...thank you justlikethis always and Patriot1, for making me feel welcome.

It's a warm feeling.

And yes, Patriot1, I know exactly what you mean about the Budweiser commercials with cowboys in them...(I didn't want to mention it myself, as it's so  like: pathetic to the second degree" ;) !!) but:

"me the same..."
"me end up here too..."

Aaaaahhhhhh, "Post Brokeback Syndrome"! Gosh,I never heard of that! It must be what I suffer from!
"Is there a doctor in the house?"

I love you all!

sam

(I can only take being on this forum for a short time each time....everytime I start to read sumpthin', I have to brush away the tears in order to keep readin'...and i get so sad...so...I hafta log off...to 'recover'...)

« Last Edit: Mar 04, 2006, 05:29 AM by sam »

Offline Patriot1

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #19 on: Mar 04, 2006, 04:34 AM »
Aaaaahhhhhh, "Post Brokeback Syndrome"! Gosh,I never heard of that! It must be what I suffer from!
"Is there a doctor in the house?"

Guess I have to give you another warning.  No doctor can help with this one.  You are on your own with all our support.  We all know what you are going through.

Offline cowgirl19

• Alma
  • If you can't fix it, you got a stand it.
« Reply #20 on: Mar 04, 2006, 04:40 AM »
Thanks to all that answered.  I was just going to ask this question yesterday but ya bet me to it  :D
"Come on Ennis, you just shot my plane out a the sky!-give me somethin a go on.  This ain't no little thing that's happenin here"---Jack Twist

Ennis, weather-eyed, looked west for the heated cumulus that might come up on such a day but the boneless blue was so deep, said Jack, that he might drown looking up.

His shaking hand grazed Ennis's hand, electrical current snapped between them.

Offline stephan

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #21 on: Mar 04, 2006, 04:52 AM »

(I can only take being on this forum for a short time each time....everytime I start to read sumpthin', I have to brush away the tears in order to keep readin'...and i get so sad...so...I hafta log off...to 'recover'...)

Hello, sam. It appears you're suffering from PBS too ? Don't worry. No one is ever going to discover a cure, so we can spend the rest of our lives on this forum and talk about Brokeback Mountain !

But don't let me interrupt you reading and posting. When your eyes a sort of dry, you might enjoy visiting the "introduce yourselves" thread - here is the link : http://www.ennisjack.com/index.php?topic=1478.0

Stephan

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #22 on: Mar 04, 2006, 10:02 AM »
;D ;D :D :D

Thank you to ALL of you who responded to this thread. I am very appreciative of your help in this one.  [...]
Thank you, thank you, thank you to you all.  Especially to the admin's and moderators who make this all possible!
sam

You're welcome xx

sam -- you're welcome! Yes, this is a very supportive and helpful group here. And many of us know just how you feel -- my partner does not understand my BBM obsession either. Look forward to reading more of your posts!  :)

;D ;D

Oh! And by the way, if you have the hots for Ennis, DO NOT tell frog123.  She will scratch your eyes out!!
YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!   ;D

hahahaha!

<OT> Sorry Stephan, I know you tried to redirect this thread to a more on-topic chat..but I had to reply! :D :D

Offline Patriot1

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #23 on: Mar 04, 2006, 10:37 AM »
<OT> Sorry Stephan, I know you tried to redirect this thread to a more on-topic chat..but I had to reply! :D :D

frog, did you guys know that every time you move a message the notifications that get sent out when the message is posted are no longer valid?  The messages can't be found.

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #24 on: Mar 04, 2006, 10:50 AM »
frog, did you guys know that every time you move a message the notifications that get sent out when the message is posted are no longer valid?  The messages can't be found.

which thread in particular? this one worked for me... ???

Offline boots

• Lureen
  • angle of repose
« Reply #25 on: Mar 04, 2006, 10:50 AM »

Patriot 1:

I like your dedicationg to Matthew Shepherd.  This is a wonderful expression and reminder to include in these discussions!  Thank you.

Offline Patriot1

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #26 on: Mar 04, 2006, 11:03 AM »

which thread in particular? this one worked for me... ???

I have been sending ethan the notifications that no longer work from the past day or two.  There are a lot of them.

Offline Patriot1

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #27 on: Mar 04, 2006, 11:07 AM »
Patriot 1:

I like your dedicationg to Matthew Shepherd.  This is a wonderful expression and reminder to include in these discussions!  Thank you.

He was such a friendly and happy kid.  It breaks my heart when I think of him. Dedicating a tiny piece of cyberspace to him is the least I can do.

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #28 on: Mar 04, 2006, 11:07 AM »
OK, might be because we sometimes merge threads together..but Ethan is away at mo..if you want to send  me the same message I will modify the threads.

Offline Russianman

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #29 on: Mar 04, 2006, 07:29 PM »

Hello, sam. It appears you're suffering from PBS too ? Don't worry. No one is ever going to discover a cure, so we can spend the rest of our lives on this forum and talk about Brokeback Mountain !

But don't let me interrupt you reading and posting. When your eyes a sort of dry, you might enjoy visiting the "introduce yourselves" thread - here is the link : http://www.ennisjack.com/index.php?topic=1478.0

Stephan

PBS got all of us good! There is no cure! and it is so good to be among people who understand why you have tears in your eyes. Not only understand but will most certainly cry together with you!
Yea, well try this one and I'll say it  just once!