Author Topic: OSCAR LIVE THREAD  (Read 508627 times)

Offline sweetlilg

• "Jack, I swear..."
  • Ennis
  • Could be like this.. just like this - ALWAYS!
Re: OSCAR LIVE THREAD - open at 6 pm EST.
« Reply #1860 on: Mar 06, 2006, 01:05 AM »
Here is to the best picture "crash"

only best picture winner only to pick up 3 awards in over 25 years
2nd lowest grossing best picture film in history
1st best picture with only a sag win ( no other wins including directors,writers,producers guild's and golden globes)
2nd film in 25 years to win best picture without best director
1st film in 25 years to only have 1 acting nomination
1st film in history without the highest # of nominations

what does that say to you about the academy?

It is the members who voted for the best picture and they don't represent us.

they don't!!! i wanna shoot anyone who voted for it!! but hey.. they wanted to surprise us!! 'no no don't worry our beloved homophobic Conservatives.. this gay cowboy movie won't win' surpFREAKINGrise!!
"Sometimes I miss you SO MUCH I can hardly stand it" - Jack <3

RIP Heath ♥ Heath, I swear...

BrokeBack Mountain is the BEST! It has won the Oscar of my heart!

Offline Cowboy Cody

• Jack + Ennis
  • Here I IS!
« Reply #1861 on: Mar 06, 2006, 01:06 AM »

1st best picture with only a sag win ( no other wins including directors,writers,producers guild's and golden globes)

It wasn't a vote for crash, it was a vote against BBM.
You were goin' up there to go fishin'....NO SHIT! GIMME SEX!

Offline frenchcda

• Laments of the hearts
  • Ennis
« Reply #1862 on: Mar 06, 2006, 01:07 AM »
i am crying-if anyone rich here wants to support a 58 yo woman in canada let me know-i have my passport or england or somewhere other than this disgusting country that is homophobic and war driven and filled with hypocrites.  i have lived here all my life-and the republicans are breaking everything here and making it rich against poor.  it is sick and sad.  tonite did not help.  heston got his didn't he?
dear karind I truly feel for you, I can only give you the biggest hug at this time, maybe if fortune comes my way in my lifetime, I assure you will be on the first plane here to Vancouver in Canada, that I swear
       what is a belief if not a lack of knowing

My wounds are deeper than your desires

www.wordsofpeace.com

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
  • No longer using this account: frog123
« Reply #1863 on: Mar 06, 2006, 01:07 AM »

OH my f***in' god!!!!

And they won best picture? What on earth was the academy thinking?
Support bacteria, they are the only culture some people have!

If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I.
~ Michel Eyquem de Montaigne (1533-1592) ~ (Thankx to gimmejack)

Offline hidesert

• Alma
« Reply #1864 on: Mar 06, 2006, 01:08 AM »
Anyone watching Jimmy Kimmel live after the Oscars???? If you aren't, don't!!!!!  He's adding insult to injury. 

No I turned my TV off right after the best picture announcement.   

Same here.  Just more hype for the Oscars with the after awards interviews.   It's over.

Offline karind1

• Jack
« Reply #1865 on: Mar 06, 2006, 01:09 AM »
i am crying-if anyone rich here wants to support a 58 yo woman in canada let me know-i have my passport or england or somewhere other than this disgusting country that is homophobic and war driven and filled with hypocrites.  i have lived here all my life-and the republicans are breaking everything here and making it rich against poor.  it is sick and sad.  tonite did not help.  heston got his didn't he?
dear karind I truly feel for you, I can only give you the biggest hug at this time, maybe if fortune comes my way in my lifetime, I assure you will be on the first plane here to Vancouver in Canada, that I swear
i will be there=fortune will come your way- i am crying and am so sad i can't stand it.  i want to live out the rest of my life happy and free and not sad.  i am so lost at the moment.  xxoo

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #1866 on: Mar 06, 2006, 01:10 AM »

I agree. The bright side of this is all the coverage about the upset - the biggest upset in the oscar history. It opens the questions and that is the BBM impact.

It can not be stopped. BBM does not fall short of the oscar validation.
Remembering Pierre (chameau) 1960-2015, a "Capricorn bro and crazy Frog Uncle from the North Pole." You are missed

Offline rabjr1

• Ennis
« Reply #1867 on: Mar 06, 2006, 01:11 AM »
We was robbed of Best Picture.  And I thpught the acceptance speech by whoever it was for "Crash" have been partly written for BBM.

The hidden truth about the Academy awards is this; most members of the Academy DO NOT see every movie they are voting on.  Crash was a good movie but not as good as BBM.  However Crash probably got an inordinate amount of votes simply because it was about LA even if the subject matter was also controversial.

RAB aka Raoul The Really Rotten

Offline sweetlilg

• "Jack, I swear..."
  • Ennis
« Reply #1868 on: Mar 06, 2006, 01:11 AM »
Anyone watching Jimmy Kimmel live after the Oscars???? If you aren't, don't!!!!!  He's adding insult to injury. 

No I turned my TV off right after the best picture announcement.   

Same here.  Just more hype for the Oscars with the after awards interviews.   It's over.

who cares!

Offline Italian_Dude

• Jack + Ennis
  • Love is Never Wrong
« Reply #1869 on: Mar 06, 2006, 01:13 AM »

I agree. The bright side of this is all the coverage about the upset - the biggest upset in the oscar history. It opens the questions and that is the BBM impact.

It can not be stopped. BBM does not fall short of the oscar validation.

Yes ethan, you are completely right.
You and me together
Through the days and nights
I don't worry 'cause
Everything's gonna be all right
People keep talking
They can say what they like
But all I know is everything's gonna be all right..

Offline karind1

• Jack
« Reply #1870 on: Mar 06, 2006, 01:15 AM »
We was robbed of Best Picture.  And I thpught the acceptance speech by whoever it was for "Crash" have been partly written for BBM.

The hidden truth about the Academy awards is this; most members of the Academy DO NOT see every movie they are voting on.  Crash was a good movie but not as good as BBM.  However Crash probably got an inordinate amount of votes simply because it was about LA even if the subject matter was also controversial.

oh i wish i could get out of los angeles--i am stuck here- stuck
i never could have kids so i have no one, really.  stuck now like quicksand, i am sooooooooooo upset and depressed and disillusioned.  you have no idea.

Offline Cowboy Cody

• Jack + Ennis
  • Here I IS!
« Reply #1871 on: Mar 06, 2006, 01:16 AM »
I hope there is a boycott of hollywood movies & esp. the oscars next season. I would love to see some actors and actresses step out of the limelight for one second and take a position of social consciousness and admit to being gay or bi. Hold the academy accountable.

Question their choice...YOU BET FRIENDS! They may have won a battle, but they have not won the ensuing war.

*note to academy, don't piss off gay men, we have $$$ and are not afraid to use it.
You were goin' up there to go fishin'....NO SHIT! GIMME SEX!

Offline hidesert

• Alma
« Reply #1872 on: Mar 06, 2006, 01:17 AM »
"crash" is a really good film, one of my favourite, it portrays real strong discriminations. Altough i am very very sad for bbm i think its childish to blame the movie "crash" 

I saw Crash with an open mind - many film reviewers were raving about it.  Then I saw it and now I question those reviewers.  If their top film was "Capote" or "Good Night and Good Luck" I would have agreed that they are good films and were worthy competitors for BBM, but not Crash.

Offline CoraJack

• Lureen
« Reply #1873 on: Mar 06, 2006, 01:17 AM »
Ok... I'm still kinda in shock to see Crash pull an upset over BBM. To be honest, I thought Crash was a decent movie, but it did not resonate with me for days like BBM did. Brokeback Mountain is by far the more superior film, in everything from storyline and direction to honesty and integrity. I'm not too surprised that Crash won, after all, it's set in Los Angeles (where most Academy members are from), and it's a feel good movie... as an Academy member it would feel good to be bastion of racial liberalism and mark Crash down as best picture. It's an obvious film, in its triteness it tells us how we should feel and what is "right" and "wrong"... no wonder it's such a popular favorite (like Titanic, for example).

So, I wouldn't necessarily say that the reason BBM didn't win is because of homophobia within the Academy, but because Crash is such a feel-good picture to vote for. It's the underdog, and BBM has gotten so much hype. Meanwhile, BBM is so much more intricate and softspoken, and I'm absolutely sure that half the country probably didn't understand a word of it. It's one of those films that works through you, it's so magical, but that also means it's more elusive to voters.

So rest assured... BBM is the best film of the year, and one of the best ever... just see how many hearts it's touched! Can you say that about any other film this year? How many other pictures have spawned such a sociocultural phenomenon? How many other movies have countless fans and forums dedicated to every scene/line/character? How many films require a 2nd, 3rd, 4th viewing to capture the entire essence? I can assure you that Crash does none of these things.

Another thing that's been bugging me... Crash is probably the least Oscar worthy film of the five nominated. It wasn't even nominated for several awards. The hype that was built around Crash was so artificial, it had nothing to do with the strength of the movie.

The Academy makes mistakes. And this was one of their biggest ever.

I can agree with some of this, but please don't compare Crash to Titanic--OMG it's almost as bad as comparing BBM to Crash!  Titanic might have been a mainstream film and still the highest money maker of all time, but for some people Titanic was (and still is) much more. Titanic has so many hidden jewels and lessons (like BBM) for people who take the time to study it. Titanic got what it deserved because it WAS mainstream, BBM didn't because it was controversial.

Cora

Offline karind1

• Jack
« Reply #1874 on: Mar 06, 2006, 01:18 AM »
I hope there is a boycott of hollywood movies & esp. the oscars next season. I would love to see some actors and actresses step out of the limelight for one second and take a position of social consciousness and admit to being gay or bi. Hold the academy accountable.

Question their choice...YOU BET FRIENDS! They may have won a battle, but they have not won the ensuing war.

*note to academy, don't piss off gay men, we have $$$ and are not afraid to use it.
i am not a gay man but i am with you.  i mean BOYCOTT with all capitals and bold.  hurt them in the pockets. and hurt them bad.

Offline Patriot1

• BBM. What could possibly top it?
  • Jack + Ennis
  • In loving memory of Matthew Shepard 1976 - 1998
« Reply #1875 on: Mar 06, 2006, 01:18 AM »
Cowboy, never look at Stonewall as a defeat.  We kicked the cops asses that night.  They were terrified of us.  That night started the move toward freedom for us...even if it has only moved a little bit.

The Stonewall bar had a drag clientel.  Judy Garland died of an overdose on June 21, 1969.  When the cops decided to raid a NY gay bar on the night of June 27 they picked the Stonewall.  The patrons were in mourning for thier favorite drag icon, Judy Garland, who even maried a gay man (her last husband) and were "mad as hell and were not going to take it anymore". 

What would have happend if Judy had not died the week before?  The was the actuarl catalist for the riot.

Every riot has a catalyst.  We didn't need any more crap from the cops at that moment in time.  They were never expecting a bunch of queens to kick their asses....two nights in a row.
Tell you what...truth is, sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it...

Love is a force of nature.

Offline hidesert

• Alma
« Reply #1876 on: Mar 06, 2006, 01:19 AM »

OH my f***in' god!!!!

And they won best picture? What on earth was the academy thinking? 

I strongly agree with Ethan's question:

"What does that say to you about the Academy?"

Offline sweetlilg

• "Jack, I swear..."
  • Ennis
« Reply #1877 on: Mar 06, 2006, 01:19 AM »
i'm not going to the movies ever again!! i'll just go to watch BBM until they pull it out of every damn theater!! until then.. i swear by Brokeback Mountain i will never step foot inside one again!!!

Offline Italian_Dude

• Jack + Ennis
  • Love is Never Wrong
« Reply #1878 on: Mar 06, 2006, 01:20 AM »
hmm you know what?

The media and all the hype around it made me believe it would win and made me believe that a gay themed movie would actually win best picture.

I've done this before, found another gay themed movie and hoped it was Oscar material but it never made it there until this one, and I got all caught up in the media frenzy around it and allowed myself to believe it would win, and that people would actually vote for it to win.

This always happens to me, I don't know why I didn't see it coming. ugh.
You and me together
I don't worry 'cause
People keep talking

Offline Patriot1

• BBM. What could possibly top it?
  • Jack + Ennis
  • In loving memory of Matthew Shepard 1976 - 1998
« Reply #1879 on: Mar 06, 2006, 01:20 AM »

Just look at what the gay community did to Anita Bryant!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Never heard from again.    ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Tell you what...truth is, sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it...

Love is a force of nature.

Offline CoraJack

• Lureen
« Reply #1880 on: Mar 06, 2006, 01:20 AM »
I'm not sure if anyone noticed my post earlier during the red carpet arrivals--but it was stated that there were a *ton* of protesters outside due to BBM and, therefore, a lot more security. Was the Academy afraid of the backlash? Have there ever been protests at any other Academy Awards ceremony? If so, I have never heard about it.

Offline Italian_Dude

• Jack + Ennis
  • Love is Never Wrong
« Reply #1881 on: Mar 06, 2006, 01:21 AM »

i am not a gay man but i am with you.  i mean BOYCOTT with all capitals and bold.  hurt them in the pockets. and hurt them bad.

yes ! boycott!
You and me together
I don't worry 'cause
People keep talking

Offline span

• Cassie
« Reply #1882 on: Mar 06, 2006, 01:23 AM »
Just adding something... WHO CARES ABOUT WHO WON ANYWAY?!? We all know that the Academy can be completely off its rocker already! Just look back through the years and you will see countless films robbed. It's a stupid awards show, and it rewards films for the wrong reasons. But let us remember, NOTHING the Academy does can ever take away the strength and power of Brokeback Mountain. If anything, it will probably make it even stronger. Do you think that, just because it didn't win Best Picture in the Oscars, that people will discount the film? No, instead, people will discount the Academy. Trust me, the Academy needs this film more than the film needs the Academy. In years to come, the voters will look back and realize the mistake they've made.

So, even though I am still horribly disappointed and will have trouble sleeping tonight, I am slightly glad at this whole turn of events. Relying on wins (contingent on closed-minded voters) is a sad way to do justice to a film. The power of a film relies in the film itself.

So, Crash, good for you. I'm glad that you now have a lame-ass win under your belt.

Offline rabjr1

• Ennis
« Reply #1883 on: Mar 06, 2006, 01:24 AM »

Karinda, I am mad too and on disability and 57.  Be mad but don't let this effect your health.  We also now live in a time when a movie like this could be made and that is a positive thing, and it has changed peoples hearts and minds in, I hope, a positive way.

I thought I would not live long enough to see LOTR 2 & 3, yet I did, and I am so glad I have continued to live to see BBM.  I measure life in little victories, they seem inconsequential to some but it is the little victories that can give me (us) the extra push to go on.

Take care
RAB

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #1884 on: Mar 06, 2006, 01:27 AM »
span, well said. I completely agree.

BBM won three deserving ones - we should congratulate Ang Lee, Diana Osana & Larry McMurtry and Gustavo
Remembering Pierre (chameau) 1960-2015, a "Capricorn bro and crazy Frog Uncle from the North Pole." You are missed

Offline CoraJack

• Lureen
« Reply #1885 on: Mar 06, 2006, 01:28 AM »
Just adding something... WHO CARES ABOUT WHO WON ANYWAY?!? We all know that the Academy can be completely off its rocker already! Just look back through the years and you will see countless films robbed. It's a stupid awards show, and it rewards films for the wrong reasons. But let us remember, NOTHING the Academy does can ever take away the strength and power of Brokeback Mountain. If anything, it will probably make it even stronger. Do you think that, just because it didn't win Best Picture in the Oscars, that people will discount the film? No, instead, people will discount the Academy. Trust me, the Academy needs this film more than the film needs the Academy. In years to come, the voters will look back and realize the mistake they've made.

So, even though I am still horribly disappointed and will have trouble sleeping tonight, I am slightly glad at this whole turn of events. Relying on wins (contingent on closed-minded voters) is a sad way to do justice to a film. The power of a film relies in the film itself.

So, Crash, good for you. I'm glad that you now have a lame-ass win under your belt.

I love your passion, however, if BBM had won best picture the lines at the theatre tomorrow would have been LONG. Now that it lost, less people will go see it and they WILL discount the film. People are led around blindly by the press and the critics. Believe me, this loss is no good for BBM. 

Cora

Offline backtobrokeback

• Alma
  • Jack, I swear... --
« Reply #1886 on: Mar 06, 2006, 01:31 AM »
It's very interesting. I'm not in tears, but I am angry. Mostly, though, I'm puzzled by WHY this happened. Unfortunately, the only answer I can reach is that it simply isn't okay to be gay. The Academy simply would not allow a film about men who love each other to take its place in the pantheon. The film no one would touch for six years is still the one they won't touch.

In a year when every nominated film was great, when every one of them: "Brokeback Mountain", "Capote", "Crash", "Good Night and Good Luck", "Munich", deserved the Oscar, it's simply too easy to brush it off as chance, as 'one great film among many' and 'they all stood a chance of winning or losing."

I've given it a lot of thought over the past week, since the "Crash" buzz began, and I keep coming back to the same sad, but ultimately calming thought - this had to happen. The story, as Annie Proulx has said, had one outcome, from the beginning. It was a story about the power of homophobia, and Jack, because of his openness, had a particular destiny that he was headed toward. His twenty years of happiness with Ennis had to end, but Ennis lives on, and his story lives on. That Ennis and Jack found love makes the story eternal; that their love was denied makes the story meaningful. Jack, unfortunately, got a tireiron to the face for being who he was.

Despite winning virtually every other best film award, Brokeback Mountain, the movie, was tireironed tonight, in full view of everyone, for being what it was, for speaking its truth. It had to be. The Academy members simply could not reward a film that made them so very uncomfortable, a film they could not tell others to see, a film that could make them a target.

The Oscar snub stands as a notable aberration in a season of praise and recognition, the only major award for the film not given to it. And yet Jack's story doesn't die, because Ennis lived it too. Brokeback doesn't die because the story and the other awards and the viewers carry it on. More importantly, the culture carries it now. Which leaves it in some good company, among the non-winners that people remember and return

The question remains - why didn't they give Best Picture to Brokeback?
Their reasoning I cannot know but can assume, based on my own experiences with people who do not know what to do with me and my life, who react with silence, with backs turned, or worse, with pitying glances, all the more politically correct forms of hate speech.
He pressed his face into the fabric and breathed in slowly through his mouth and nose, hoping for the faintest smoke and mountain sage and salty sweet stink of Jack but there was no real scent, only the memory of it, the imagined power of Brokeback Mountain of which nothing was left but what he held in his hands. Make the pledge! Go Back to Brokeback whenever, however you can. Join the BTB Project.

Offline rabjr1

• Ennis
« Reply #1887 on: Mar 06, 2006, 01:32 AM »
What did John Stewart say?  Steven Spielberg - 0 Oscar, rap singers - 1 Oscar???????

So you see what the Academy is capable of doing.

and maybe it is true:   "One will never go broke underestimating the American public"

Offline gayhunky

• Cassie
« Reply #1888 on: Mar 06, 2006, 01:32 AM »

Karinda, I am mad too and on disability and 57.  Be mad but don't let this effect your health.  We also now live in a time when a movie like this could be made and that is a positive thing, and it has changed peoples hearts and minds in, I hope, a positive way.

I thought I would not live long enough to see LOTR 2 & 3, yet I did, and I am so glad I have continued to live to see BBM.  I measure life in little victories, they seem inconsequential to some but it is the little victories that can give me (us) the extra push to go on.

Take care
RAB

Offline Italian_Dude

• Jack + Ennis
  • Love is Never Wrong
« Reply #1889 on: Mar 06, 2006, 01:33 AM »
Is it just me or does this kind of make sense..

Brokeback won "Best Adapted Screenplay" basically meaning it was the best script for a movie written from another source, and it was the BEST one.

Brokeback won "Best Director" a director, who directed an ENTIRE film, and he did it BEST.

YET.. this fim that was Directed the Best, and Had the BEST script, was NOT Best picture.. hmm?

does anyone see what I'm saying, or is it just me?

it seems like they're saying

"well yeah you are the best but we'll pick crash because its not about gay cowboys"
You and me together
I don't worry 'cause
People keep talking