Author Topic: << This is what the Academy really said to Ang Lee! >>  (Read 6667 times)

Offline Riobbm23

• Lureen
  • ((( BBM )))
By giving him the Oscar, this is what the Academy really meant to say: "You're a great director but we just don't like your work"... The same goes to the other two awards for BBM. I'm sure Ang Lee was thinking in his mind: "What's the purpose of you giving me an award if you don't accept my work". That's why he was so upset and I understand him and also I'm glad he expressed his reaction to this fraud.

THIS MAKES NO SENSE!!!

>:( >:( >:( >:(
« Last Edit: Mar 08, 2006, 01:23 PM by Riobbm23 »
((( 'Love can touch you one time and last for a lifetime' BBM )))

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
Re: << This is what the Academy really said to Ang Lee! >>
« Reply #1 on: Mar 08, 2006, 01:19 PM »
I must confess that my friend Liam56 predicted the outcome of the Oscars and I was angry at him for playing Cassandra to my Priam.

He stated exactly the same thing you just said.

Offline camom

• Alma
« Reply #2 on: Mar 08, 2006, 06:30 PM »
Does anyone know how often this has happened, where the director gets the Oscar but his movie doesn't?  I know it's considered a real slap if the movie wins and the director doesn't, but I can't remember the times when it's been the other way around.  And I agree with you; giving him Best Director and not Best Picture is a complete insult.  Why give him an award and then turn around and tell him "we don't like what you do"?

camom

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #3 on: Mar 08, 2006, 07:06 PM »
Does anyone know how often this has happened, where the director gets the Oscar but his movie doesn't?  I know it's considered a real slap if the movie wins and the director doesn't, but I can't remember the times when it's been the other way around.  And I agree with you; giving him Best Director and not Best Picture is a complete insult.  Why give him an award and then turn around and tell him "we don't like what you do"?

I don't know for sure but it is rare. Ang Lee was nominated for Crouching Tiger and Hidden Dragon and also in that year won Director Guild Award --- but lost at the Oscar.

I don't know his previous nomination played a role for his win this time. If BBM was his first nod for director, I am afraid that he would not have won.
Remembering Pierre (chameau) 1960-2015, a "Capricorn bro and crazy Frog Uncle from the North Pole." You are missed

Offline Cowboy Cody

• Jack + Ennis
  • Here I IS!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 08, 2006, 09:58 PM »
He'll probably never win again, for speaking out. But you know what....BIG HAIRY DEAL! Everyone now knows what a jobber political game this really is....Don't kiss ass, just make another great movie and really embarass them AGAIN!
You were goin' up there to go fishin'....NO SHIT! GIMME SEX!

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #5 on: Mar 08, 2006, 10:37 PM »
He'll probably never win again, for speaking out. But you know what....BIG HAIRY DEAL! Everyone now knows what a jobber political game this really is....Don't kiss ass, just make another great movie and really embarass them AGAIN!

Yeah..I don't care either because I am done with the **scary.
Remembering Pierre (chameau) 1960-2015, a "Capricorn bro and crazy Frog Uncle from the North Pole." You are missed

Offline camom

• Alma
« Reply #6 on: Mar 09, 2006, 11:49 AM »
It'll be interesting to see what the audience numbers are like next year.  If they go way down, maybe then the Academy will get a clue.  I've heard of many, many people who say they will never watch the Oscars again.

camom

Offline Toadily

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
  • "Friend, we got ourselves a situation here"
« Reply #7 on: Mar 09, 2006, 12:05 PM »
Hollywood likes his work, they just like themselves better  ;)

I mean remember I am sure the voting was close and Jack Nicholson voted for BBM
that means a lot to me, a man who truly love movies first and foremost (I know some stories
about that I won't write about now)
"it's Love, Blockhead!"
-Pierre Marivaux  The Triumph of Love

"To love an idea is to love it a little more than one should."  -Jean Rostand

Offline bnjmn3

• Jack
  • BBM: The Best Picture Show
« Reply #8 on: Mar 09, 2006, 12:22 PM »

camom

It is very rare! It did happen with Soderberg--won Director for Traffic (2000), but lost Best Picture. Other few examples have been written about this week...the unprecedented part about the BBM snub is NO picture has won so many awards across the award landscape prior to the Oscars and lost Best Picture. Period.
We can't change it. We will have to stand it.

Offline shieldmaid

• Jack
« Reply #9 on: Mar 10, 2006, 08:18 PM »
I read a really interesting article on Yahoo News (sorry, it disappeared within an hour and I couldn't find it again to link it here) that was about all the things you *didn't* see on TV at the Academy Awards.  They said Ang Lee was already waiting backstage after winning best director to hear about best picture, and when Crash was announced, "no one was more surprised than he was."  He had a faint smile on his face and just walked away.  :(

I was generally depressed about the BBM loss but after I read that article I got outraged.  That was the one award I never had any doubt about.  These people have changed lives--and they deserve our recognition.  At least we have this community, growing every day, of people who acknowledge and celebrate that fact.
some open space between

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
  • No longer using this account: frog123
« Reply #10 on: Mar 10, 2006, 08:51 PM »
I read a really interesting article on Yahoo News (sorry, it disappeared within an hour and I couldn't find it again to link it here) that was about all the things you *didn't* see on TV at the Academy Awards.  They said Ang Lee was already waiting backstage after winning best director to hear about best picture, and when Crash was announced, "no one was more surprised than he was."  He had a faint smile on his face and just walked away.  :(

I was generally depressed about the BBM loss but after I read that article I got outraged.  That was the one award I never had any doubt about.  These people have changed lives--and they deserve our recognition.  At least we have this community, growing every day, of people who acknowledge and celebrate that fact.

I saw the interview he made just after winning best director. He did say that he was waiting backstage to get the best picture one, and was surprised not to get it.

He more or less said that by now he was used to getting "best adapted screenplay "best director" and "best movie" in a row...but it did not go that way at the oscars. He was asked why? he said he did not know and could not answer that question.
Support bacteria, they are the only culture some people have!

If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I.
~ Michel Eyquem de Montaigne (1533-1592) ~ (Thankx to gimmejack)

Offline Badarsila

• ~BeRaDu_Di_KhAyALaN~
  • Alma Jr.
  • ~BaDaRsILa_In_Da_HoUsE~
« Reply #11 on: Mar 11, 2006, 05:29 AM »

OMG,...*sniffles*...i just wana give him a big hug,...*sobs*....The Academy really dealt him a big blow by not awarding BBM best pic,....*sniffles,sobs*....
"Oh Mortals, What is Love that binds beyond Life on Earth? To all Corners in a Pair we fly, Braving Summer and Winter by and by, Union is Bliss: Parting is Woe! Agony is Boundless for a Lovelorn Soul! Sweetheart, give me word..Trails of Clouds drifting foward..Amid Mountains capped with Snow, Wither shall my lonesome Shadow go?"