Author Topic: What were thay expecting at the reunion?  (Read 20718 times)

Offline Rønnaug

• Mod-ChickY brigade
  • Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Eat the banana custard, or die!
What were thay expecting at the reunion?
« on: Mar 11, 2006, 07:45 AM »
What were thay expecting at the reunion? Lets break it down.

Jack.
He came back to signal and asked for Ennis.
Then got married, had a son.
Started thinking about Ennis and tried finding him.
Got a You bet back on his request.

So what did Jack expect when he came to Riverton? Knowing how closed up Ennis was about this did he expect anything other than a nice chat?

Ennis.
Got sick after letting Jack go.
Got married and had two girls he adored.
Got the card from Jack calling him friend and saying he would be "through" Riverton on the 24th.

What did Ennis expect? What made him take such a risk without KNOWING what Jack wanted?

You with me on what I am asking?

Seeing Ennis face both at recieving the card and when he sees Jack pull up, and the pacing and drinking before I would say he did expect what he got, but how was he sure? I am more unsure about Jack. All he ahd to go on was a you bet... and the look on Jacks face when Ennis pushes him towards the wall after the embrace is a bit ominous.

The reunion could have been very bad if ONE of them had felt differently.
No matter how much jell-O you pour in the pool , you still can't walk on water

Offline Lost_Girl

• Ennis
  • If you can't fix it, you gotta stand it.
Re: What were thay expecting at the reunion?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 11, 2006, 07:54 AM »
.. It's gonna be hard to explain what I think in English ! lol

I don't think both of Jack or Ennis expecting anything, I mean, when they are togother, nothing else mather, their life or other, there are on Brokeback Mountain, even if it's in front of Ennis's home. I don't think they even think about something! lol They were just so excite, to see each other again... I don't who to explain that.

But it's an very very interesting toppic !
YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW BAD IT GETS !!!!

"There are places we can never return"
"When you ain't got nothing, you don't need nothing"

Icon by meowwwwwww

Offline City Slickin' Cowboy

• BBM Addict for Life.
  • Jack + Ennis
  • It's A BBM Love Affair
« Reply #2 on: Mar 11, 2006, 10:00 AM »
I think Jack was hoping for something to happen. He later admitted it in the hotel room.  As for Ennis it becomes a little blurry.  Ennis was definitely excited at the thought of seeing Jack after four years.  On the day of Jack's arrival he was as nervous as a virgin at a prison rodeo.  Even upon greeting Jack from the doorway he blurts a typical male to male greeting, "Jack f**kin Twist!"  I don't think Ennis was sure how he would feel other than he was extremely glad to see his old friend.  Of course once they embraced, it was clear Ennis's real emotions had surfaced quickly.  Combined with all those beers Ennis's inhibitions were down.  The kiss that followed couldn't have been stopped with a Mac truck!!
A reminder Brokies...there is no known cure for PBS.  It's merely managed.

Offline Stephen

• Alma
  • Tragedy: "Wisdom too late."
« Reply #3 on: Mar 11, 2006, 11:55 AM »
the detail of the beer drinking before Jack's arrival is a good one; it helped Ennis to loosen up, and when he goes out on the deck to see Jack below, his face lights up as he says "Jack f***in Twist", and he nearly leaps over the railing. I think if Ennis had not had the beers, it would have been a much more cautious reunion. By the way, it's been mentioned how real and passionate the kissing scene is here; in another post Ang Lee says in an interview that it was Michelle Williams who made the boys do several takes because the first ones were not convincing to her, as she watched from the door!
« Last Edit: Mar 11, 2006, 01:36 PM by Stephen »
"One more chain to break to get closer to you"

Offline CherryCake

• Jack
  • You want a piece of me? YOU WANT A PIECE OF ME??!!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 11, 2006, 01:01 PM »
Yes, Ennis's beers were very intregal to this scene.  I think they missed and thought about each other during thier separation.   Each wanted to see each other.  I think they were both over come by emotions, so much that they risked being caught in a liplock.

"Want some coffee, don't you? Piece a cherry cake?"

Hit me up on Yahoo: PieceOfCherryCake

Offline Rønnaug

• Mod-ChickY brigade
  • Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #5 on: Mar 11, 2006, 01:37 PM »
I agree with all of you, but was the expectations a f***, or love of a lifetime???

It is clear from that kiss, and I still say jack didn't expect that lol, that there would be sex, so the motel is obvious, but a long way from that to a long lasting relationship :)

Offline monicita

• Jack
« Reply #6 on: Mar 11, 2006, 01:41 PM »
In the short story, Ennis tells Jack that he thought about him a lot, even though he would never think of doing it with another man. He even says that he "sure wrang it out a hunderd times, thinking of you". In the movie he just mumbles something in his typical Ennislike manner. A great touch of the filmmakers! He is not able to talk about what he was wishing and hoping for. Emotionally, he is like a child. Others have to take the initiative where feelings and especially talking about them is concerned. This makes him both exasperating and endearing.

But I agree: We are shown how nervous and on edge and full of hope he is during his day of waiting for Jack. And how afraid that Jack won't even turn up.

monicita
Love is a many splendoured thing...

Offline jackie62

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #7 on: Mar 11, 2006, 02:12 PM »
The 4 yr gap is part of the genius of the story.They grow up , have kids but for neither is it enough.Something so powerful happened that i think it almost took this time for the enormity to hit them.  The longing didn't pass. Brokeback got them good.

For Jack --- I think he'd often asked around about Ennis as he travelled about.  I think he knew the connection they had could have both good and bad consequences for them both. I also think he knew exactly why Ennis had hit him --- the intensity of the feelings.He was powerless to stop Ennis walking away and i bet he went over and over things he could have said or done during the 4 yr break. My guess is he knew there was a big risk getting in touch --- a tire iron could have been waiting for him --- but something in the simple ,honest message "you bet" gave him reason to hope. Great sex was never the sole motivating factor --- that would not have made it a risk worth taking.Jack puts himself on the line again and again.   

For Ennis, the realization of his feelings for Jack is so much more complex and shocking to him. While he craves the sex --it's so much more. I think he fears he was the one to end it before it had begun because of the punch. So he tried "to stand it". HE HAD TO STRUGGLE WITH HIS VERY IDENTITY.The sense he's been given a second chance fills him with so much happiness .I think he had no plan to be so reckless initially i.e. the kiss --- but the physicality of Jack was so strong. It's an extraordinarily powerful moment --- prob thats why the actors were initially scared--- it exposes everyone involved.

This scene for me is the essence of the story --- it shows the power of the love and the fact it could endure and overwhelm them. There could be no going back.

Offline Stephen

• Alma
  • Tragedy: "Wisdom too late."
« Reply #8 on: Mar 11, 2006, 02:21 PM »
Nicely stated; implicit in your note is how the film makes our imagination work and attempt to fill in the blanks.
"One more chain to break to get closer to you"

• BBM Addict for Life.
  • Jack + Ennis
  • It's A BBM Love Affair
« Reply #9 on: Mar 11, 2006, 02:29 PM »
For Ennis, the realization of his feelings for Jack is so much more complex and shocking to him. While he craves the sex --it's so much more. I think he fears he was the one to end it before it had begun because of the punch. So he tried "to stand it". HE HAD TO STRUGGLE WITH HIS VERY IDENTITY.The sense he's been given a second chance fills him with so much happiness .I think he had no plan to be so reckless initially i.e. the kiss --- but the physicality of Jack was so strong. It's an extraordinarily powerful moment --- prob thats why the actors were initially scared--- it exposes everyone involved.

This scene for me is the essence of the story --- it shows the power of the love and the fact it could endure and overwhelm them. There could be no going back.

Well said!!!  Both were overwhelmed at this reunion.

Sunflower79

« Reply #10 on: Mar 11, 2006, 04:09 PM »
I have been reading alot the posts on this topic..I think they were both a little overwhelmed wtih the feelings they had for each other, and dealing with it, and trying to live a life where being straight was the accepted, the norm and what was done. YOu were expected to marry, have kids extra and love your spouse.
Ennis character and Jack are both trying to come to terms with thier feelings with each other, its something new for the both of them, having feelings that grab your heart. For Ennis it was complex, he was struggling with his true feelings for Jack and wanting love him but at the same time he was scared, and unsure.
Jack knew the connection between them was strong, new that he is life would be better if he and Ennis could be together and live together. Jack was more of the dreamer...believing that they could have a great life together. While Ennis wanted that and maybe craved for that but he was holding himself back from making it a reality..his own insecrurities, and being afraid of being found out and the consequences..

I think the kiss expressed all thier emotions..it was so powerfull and it just blew you away..the depth, the feelings..everything about it just amazed me..

Offline Patriot1

• BBM. What could possibly top it?
  • Jack + Ennis
  • In loving memory of Matthew Shepard 1976 - 1998
« Reply #11 on: Mar 12, 2006, 01:20 AM »
I think they missed and thought about each other during thier separation.

From the very first time I saw the movie I wondered why Ennis didn't contact Jack....if only to keep the friendship....such a deep friendship...going.  All he had to do is send a letter to:

Mr. Jack Twist
c/o Mr. & Mrs. John Twist
Lightening Flats, Wyoming

c/o means "in care of"

I am sure Jack's mother would have given it to him when he came home next time.

« Last Edit: Mar 12, 2006, 01:45 AM by Patriot1 »
Tell you what...truth is, sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it...

Love is a force of nature.

Offline Patriot1

• BBM. What could possibly top it?
  • Jack + Ennis
  • In loving memory of Matthew Shepard 1976 - 1998
« Reply #12 on: Mar 12, 2006, 01:39 AM »
I agree with all of you, but was the expectations a f***, or love of a lifetime???

It is clear from that kiss, and I still say jack didn't expect that lol, that there would be sex, so the motel is obvious, but a long way from that to a long lasting relationship :)

Nothing I have read (story, screenplay or movie) gave me the impression either of the boys thought of a lifetime relationship from the time of Ennis getting the postcard to the reunion kiss.

Jack did say he was expecting there to be sex and that is why he "redlined it."

But, then Jack does bring up the subject of the future; "So what're we gonna do now?"

[And here is a crying point for me]
Ennis, with the most sorrowful look on his face and with the hopeless and saddest voice says,
"I doubt there's nothin' we can do. I'm stuck[/u] with what I got here.

People all the time argue with me that Ennis loved Alma.  Man, you don't love someone when you are masturbating while thinking of another man who you have no reason to believe you will ever see again.  And, you surely don't say you are stuck with someone you are in love with.

Tell you what...truth is, sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it...

Love is a force of nature.

Offline Rønnaug

• Mod-ChickY brigade
  • Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #13 on: Mar 12, 2006, 04:22 AM »

People all the time argue with me that Ennis loved Alma.  Man, you don't love someone when you are masturbating while thinking of another man who you have no reason to believe you will ever see again.  And, you surely don't say you are stuck with someone you are in love with.

He might have loved alma in the beginning, in a friend way, but I agree with you... I think Ennis was hoping for more but in his negative homophobic mind, through no fault of his own, he just didn't see it happen  :'(

Offline jerasjr

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #14 on: Mar 13, 2006, 04:37 PM »
Ah, Esme, you do not know the human male, who will masturbate, when sufficiently motivated, whether he is in love with a person or not.  And sometimes just because he needs to, or wants to... or, but <ot>
Don't know if either one had an idea of what to expect, but they were looking forward to seeing each other,Ennis pacing, Jack
redlining it.
"A mountain with a wolf on it stands a little taller."

• BBM Addict for Life.
  • Jack + Ennis
  • It's A BBM Love Affair
« Reply #15 on: Mar 13, 2006, 06:03 PM »
Ah, Esme, you do not know the human male, who will masturbate, when sufficiently motivated, whether he is in love with a person or not.  And sometimes just because he needs to, or wants to... or, but <ot>

I thought that was one of our best kept secrets!  :o  ;)

Offline BBBOY

• Brokeback Junkie
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Ya know I ain't straight Me neither
« Reply #16 on: Mar 13, 2006, 10:18 PM »
[

LMAO Cowboy. As a master of the right (or left)handed tango I salute you.  ;D

But getting back on topic I think Jack knew what he wanted from the reunion and got it. Ennis too on a level. After watching the movie again last night I saw Ennis become overwhelmed and initiate the passionate kiss. HE swept Jack off his feet, exactly what Jack was hoping for. It is so frustrating because later at the motel and then up on the mountain he backs away from all the passion he has felt and expressed. I think the more I see the movie the more I bleed for Jack.
There was some open space between what he knew and what he tried to believe, but nothing could be done about it, and if you can't fix it you've got to stand it.

Ennis, riding against the wind back to the sheep in the treacherous, drunken darken light, thought he'd never had such a good time, felt he could paw the white out of the moon.

• BBM Addict for Life.
  • Jack + Ennis
  • It's A BBM Love Affair
« Reply #17 on: Mar 13, 2006, 10:37 PM »
Eveything you said is true BBBOY.  I guess on some level they were both expecting something to happen.  If twenty years had passed it would have been reasonable to assume a reunion would be friendly, perhaps without a passionate flare up.  Feelings as strong as theirs do not die overnite. Four years just can't be enought time for "let's get together for a beer and talk over old times." Even if they hadn't kissed in the parking lot, it would have happened later that evening for sure.

Offline Rønnaug

• Mod-ChickY brigade
  • Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #18 on: Mar 14, 2006, 02:52 PM »

:o :o :o :o :o

REALLY?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ??

You mean men have secrets?? ?? ??   :o :o :o

Well here's one for you guys, us gals know about this one  ;)

And I'm sure as Ennis was using Jack to get miss right in the mood jack was doing the same...And I am also pretty sure that thay are both beeing used by several members of this very forum, even as we speak, or type as it were  ;)

But however nice THAT particular solo activity is, I am guessing most here woud agree it is nicer as a duett. And that is what prompted Jack to send that postcard.

Offline jerasjr

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #19 on: Mar 14, 2006, 03:20 PM »
Have to agree with you Esme, it is much nicer as a duet, much.  And just noticed that I should have addressed my post to another, instead of you, but... it has worked out.  Masturbation is not necessarily a sign that you don't love a person, it just is one part of personal expression.  It doesn't diminish the one you love.  When you think of all the various sex shops, etc. you know they aren't exclusively frequented ny single, unattached persons.  But we've veered <ot> again.
"A mountain with a wolf on it stands a little taller."

Offline BBBOY

• Brokeback Junkie
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Ya know I ain't straight Me neither
« Reply #20 on: Mar 14, 2006, 07:15 PM »

Well here's one for you guys, us gals know about this one  ;)

You know? OMG, how am I ever gonna look a woman in the eye again.  :o :o :o :o
And here I thought it was our Jack Nasty little secret.  ;)
There was some open space between what he knew and what he tried to believe, but nothing could be done about it, and if you can't fix it you've got to stand it.

Ennis, riding against the wind back to the sheep in the treacherous, drunken darken light, thought he'd never had such a good time, felt he could paw the white out of the moon.

Offline jagrafess

• Lureen
« Reply #21 on: Mar 17, 2006, 03:52 PM »
Maybe Ennis was so anxious to see Jack because of the way they parted back at Signal four years beforehand?

Ennis was so cold and matter-of-fact in his goodbye to Jack. There was no affection at all.  Yet when Jack drove off it was Ennis who collapsed in a heap, struggling to suppress his emotions, almost sick at leaving Jack behind.  Perhaps Ennis didn't know how Jack would greet him - would there be a coldness, a distance?  So I think - fuelled by nerves and beer - Ennis' very passionate embrace and kiss was to leave no doubt in Jack's mind how he felt.  I suspect Ennis regretted leaving Jack the way he did in Signal, and the greeting in Riverton was fully intended to make up for that lost opportunity.
I wish I knew how to quit you

Offline Rønnaug

• Mod-ChickY brigade
  • Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #22 on: Mar 17, 2006, 03:55 PM »
Maybe Ennis was so anxious to see Jack because of the way they parted back at Signal four years beforehand?

Ennis was so cold and matter-of-fact in his goodbye to Jack. There was no affection at all.  Yet when Jack drove off it was Ennis who collapsed in a heap, struggling to suppress his emotions, almost sick at leaving Jack behind.  Perhaps Ennis didn't know how Jack would greet him - would there be a coldness, a distance?  So I think - fuelled by nerves and beer - Ennis' very passionate embrace and kiss was to leave no doubt in Jack's mind how he felt.  I suspect Ennis regretted leaving Jack the way he did in Signal, and the greeting in Riverton was fully intended to make up for that lost opportunity.

That was a very good point Jagradess.... I very much agree...

• BBM Addict for Life.
  • Jack + Ennis
  • It's A BBM Love Affair
« Reply #23 on: Mar 17, 2006, 04:03 PM »

I don't know if he would have been worried about a cold reception.  After all, Jack made the first contact! Texas to Wyoming is a long way to drive just to deliver ice.  I agree completely with the regrets Ennis may have been feeling about their parting.
« Last Edit: Mar 17, 2006, 04:10 PM by City Slickin' Cowboy »

Offline stephan

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #24 on: Mar 17, 2006, 05:24 PM »
Wow, everyone. Thanks so much for all these terrific posts. (Yes, all.)  ;)

What were they expecting ?

Jack : certainly not that kind of kiss ! I think that, because it's one of the surprise moments in the film. Even the embrace is so well done, it's completely unexpected (at least for me) because it was so intense. Then devouring Jack's mouth.... Ennis ? As for the beers, I always thought they were unplanned. Ennis was so nervous and impatient, he started waiting by the window in the daytime, Jack doesn't arrive until nearly night time, Ennis was even losing hope.

Ennis : expecting the happiness he had lost four years earlier when he and jack left the mountain, but I don't think he was expecting to be overwhelmed. Again, everything was unplanned. In that first reunion, both of them succumbed to their spontaneity.

Stephan

Offline jagrafess

• Lureen
« Reply #25 on: Mar 17, 2006, 05:31 PM »
It certainly is one of the most significant scenes in the movie.  And amazingly, I think there's lust AND love on display - which perhaps isn't the easiest thing in the world to do as an actor.  I reckon the love is shown in the way they nuzzle each other's noses, and the look in Jack's eyes as he realises Ennis still holds strong feelings for him.  There's a real passion between the two men - and i love it!
I wish I knew how to quit you

aimi15

« Reply #26 on: Mar 17, 2006, 07:10 PM »
It certainly is one of the most significant scenes in the movie.  And amazingly, I think there's lust AND love on display - which perhaps isn't the easiest thing in the world to do as an actor.  I reckon the love is shown in the way they nuzzle each other's noses, and the look in Jack's eyes as he realises Ennis still holds strong feelings for him.  There's a real passion between the two men - and i love it!
I agree, i love the nuzzle, and i love the way Jack clings on to Ennis' shirt and Ennis tries to get himself free. Its such a climatic moment. All the feeling that had been surpressed - probably forever Ennis thought - come raging out in one moment, Ennis' kiss is a passionate, longing response to seeing Jack. Jack...well...it kind of like he was eating Ennis alive. I think once he realised how pleased Ennis was to see him he had carte blanche to express his desire - and what a kiss - it looks so instinctive, so unrehearsed, you can't help but be moved by it  :P

• BBM Addict for Life.
  • Jack + Ennis
  • It's A BBM Love Affair
« Reply #27 on: Mar 17, 2006, 07:54 PM »
Sooooo Hot!!

When the DVD becomes available it will be difficult not to replay this scene several times before moving on to the rest of the film!!  :P :P :P :P

matsuki33

« Reply #28 on: Mar 17, 2006, 07:58 PM »

Well the reunion was really impressing we saw the way Ennis started getting nervous and walking all over the house and smoking and drinking. Another point is how he pushed out Alma of the scene; I mean that he told Alma that he wanted to be only with jack in other words. He didn’t want a violinist on the scene. When he heard the car it was amazing the speed we went out and when he hugged Jack the way he looked at him it was like he was fighting with himself to not kiss him but he did it at the end he let his desires go on.

In Jack well I think that he was aware of what was going to happen I agree he was not prepared for the first kiss, Ennis was not that kind of person.  For him, Jack just wanted to be with Ennis and he went to pickup ennis and escape with him, he propose him the idea of living together that same day. His ideas didn’t work as he wante but the reunion was the beginning of his “Marriage” relationship or better called “fishin’ trips

Offline rikcub

• Lureen
« Reply #29 on: Mar 17, 2006, 10:28 PM »
I think you have to go back to the tag line of the movie "Love is a force of nature"   Whether or not they realized it these guys fell in love on BBM...I don't really think either one had expectations for the reunion (although Jack definitely had hopes).  They were just simply drawn, like a magnet to metal, to each other...and the reunion was based on that incredible draw.  This "force of nature" had hold of them and that was all that really mattered.