Author Topic: Tents - simple shelter  (Read 4595 times)

Offline jerasjr

• Jack + Ennis
Tents - simple shelter
« on: Mar 12, 2006, 07:09 AM »
Throughout the film, tent scenes are interwoven with the other action.
Initially we have Ennis whittling - apparently a horse - with a view of their camp (not generally mentioned as a tent scene)
Then there is the passionate tent scene
Followed by the tender tent scene
Jack & Ennis are forced into the tent by hail
Ennis wakes to snow
And the final tent scene with Ennis holding Jack

Other than the obvious connotation of shelter, do you see any other meanings... of course the tents might be used to shelter their relationship, so to speak.

As I'm typing can think of a couple of other instances also.  Ennis working on the tent, saying something like "tents not right"  and Jack dismantling the tent while telling Ennis their season on BBM is over, Aguirre's telling them to bring the sheep down.

Knowing the meticulous crafting of things in the film, what are they telling us?  Or are they simply shelter, but isn't that enough.
"A mountain with a wolf on it stands a little taller."

Offline LuvJackNasty

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
Re: Tents - simple shelter
« Reply #1 on: Mar 12, 2006, 08:49 PM »
Good question-I have a thought, now let's see if I can get it out correctly.

A tent is not permanent. The times that they are together are short and not lasting as long as they would like. They set up camp knowing it's going to be be for the summer or later on for a week or so. It's a temporary shelter because their time together isn't going to be more than that. They have to take the tent down at the end of their times together and put it away until the next time.

I hope that came out okay- it sounds a lot better in my head-lol.
“What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close, the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger."

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not the only one I hope someday you'll join us And the world will live as one ~ Imagine- J. Lennon

Offline jerasjr

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #2 on: Mar 12, 2006, 10:10 PM »
Good thought, the tent as shelter is obvious, but that it is only temporary hadn't occurred to me, was thinking more along the lines that a tent offered them some modicum of privacy, even though we do see them cavorting in the open...guess BBM is the permanent aspect.   
"A mountain with a wolf on it stands a little taller."

Offline roguejedi

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #3 on: Mar 12, 2006, 11:36 PM »
Good question-I have a thought, now let's see if I can get it out correctly.

A tent is not permanent. The times that they are together are short and not lasting as long as they would like. They set up camp knowing it's going to be be for the summer or later on for a week or so. It's a temporary shelter because their time together isn't going to be more than that. They have to take the tent down at the end of their times together and put it away until the next time.

I hope that came out okay- it sounds a lot better in my head-lol.

It came out perfectly  :D :D :D  May I add something else to your thoughts? Just as you have said, "tent" is temporary, not permanent, their time together was temporarily...What both Ennis and Jack would have wanted, and Jack having pushed for it was a permanent cabin...which symbolizes the rest of the lives together...something stronghold...which never materialized  :'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline LuvJackNasty

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #4 on: Mar 12, 2006, 11:52 PM »
I wish they had that permanent cabin.  :'(
“What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close, the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger."

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not the only one I hope someday you'll join us And the world will live as one ~ Imagine- J. Lennon

Offline Patriot1

• BBM. What could possibly top it?
  • Jack + Ennis
  • In loving memory of Matthew Shepard 1976 - 1998
« Reply #5 on: Mar 13, 2006, 12:44 AM »
I wish they had that permanent cabin.  :'(

They do...in a way.  Jack lives with Ennis in his trailer and in his heart.  It is "A Love That Will Never Die."

Tell you what...truth is, sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it...

Love is a force of nature.

Offline LuvJackNasty

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #6 on: Mar 14, 2006, 09:32 PM »
Yes that's true Patriot- Ennis finally brought Jack home with him and he will always be in his heart.

Sunflower79

« Reply #7 on: Mar 15, 2006, 06:44 AM »
"They do...in a way.  Jack lives with Ennis in his trailer and in his heart.  It is "A Love That Will Never Die."

I like that...Ennis does bring Jack home at last at at the end of the movie, and his heart too..wow thats great..the tents I agree represent the temporary time they had together and the privacy to be together without anyone judging them. The tent is place where there are both comfortable and they can share there intimacy too :)