Author Topic: A little controversial!  (Read 5073 times)

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
  • No longer using this account: frog123
A little controversial!
« on: Jan 02, 2006, 05:43 PM »
A little controversial..but i could not help myself!

Here is a review from the Christian Examiner...I liked the intro...it just made me laugh...and yes i am being sarcastic:
Just when you thought it was safe to say “Howdy, partner,” along comes a cinematic romance between two cowboys.

The film’s a sermon, to be sure, and the message is clear: If society would only abandon its prejudice against gays, these fine men could have openly lived a long and happy life together. It’s a message we’ve heard before, but not against the backdrop of such breathtaking scenery, earnest storytelling, and performances by handsome men mixing homosexuality with America’s classic masculine icon, the cowboy.

See what you think:
http://www.christianexaminer.com/Articles/Articles%20Jan06/Art_Jan06_oped1.html

I just laughed about the intro and now have forgotten about this article...pouff...gone!
« Last Edit: Jan 02, 2006, 06:07 PM by frog123 »
Support bacteria, they are the only culture some people have!

If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I.
~ Michel Eyquem de Montaigne (1533-1592) ~ (Thankx to gimmejack)

Offline Krispera

• Alma
  • krisp luvs you
Re: A little controversial!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2006, 06:04 PM »
I never tought '' cowboy '' was masculine.. They are only '' harsh '' and severe, it doesn't mean they are big guy that never cry! Look.. how they knew cowboy never been gay? Of course they asked them..?

And then.. what they want we do?(homosexuals) That we have a f*****g hell life? Christians my a** , where the hell Jesus said it was wrong the be gay? It's only interpretations..

Anyways.. too bad, let them die like this! I will don't care!
« Last Edit: Jan 02, 2006, 06:06 PM by frog123 »

Offline ennisandjack

• Alma
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2006, 07:01 PM »
Jesus said nothing about homosexuality at all. Its the modern day church that is obsessed with this issue even though its not part of Jesus' message in any way. I think there is many good things in modern Christianity and believe in Jesus with all my heart, but the issues around sexuality that the church has is a real problem for me and the reason I no longer attend church, unfortunately.

Offline brokebackmountain

• Brokebackmountain is now "ethan"
  • Administrator
  • Jack
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2006, 04:13 AM »
The question is whether or not homosexuality is normal in and of itself, no matter what sort of man practices it. And that’s the point Brokeback cleverly avoids. Rather than offer a sound argument for homosexuality itself, it presents attractive homosexual characters who viewers like and sympathize with. Then it plunges them into an ending so tragic and moving (brought about, wouldn’t you know, by that old dragon Homophobia) so viewer’s feeling are likely to evolve from sympathy for the gay characters into advocacy for gay causes. And isn’t the goal of every sermon to stir its listeners to action?

First of all, I don't think this movie has anything to do with the debate of homosexuality or in any way making any statement. The movie has touched people in all sorts of lives, be gay or straight. I personally don't think that the movie "clearly avoids." There is nothing to avoid because it is a reality that many can relate and just hits right into our hearts.

With all due respect, God help us to embrace true love between two individuals.
Born from their love..forever bound by ours.

Offline ChefStevo

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2006, 12:26 AM »
I want to have my say in this!!!  First of all...as a GAY man this movie is Fantastic!!!!  And I can not believe what people are saying about this movie.....IT'S a STORY about 2 people and thats it for me.....I belong to several Brokebak Mountain Websites...and this is the BEST one!!! there is no Gay Bashing here....and there doesn't need to be any....!  I love this website cause I can come here and talk about the movie, and not feel BAD about it!!!  Thanks to everyone on this website for having a place to go to to talk about this WONDERFUL movie...and it's ok!!!!
Steven

Offline stationbbm

• Lureen
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2006, 01:10 AM »
Chef Steve:

Well said.  Those participating on this forum have done a brilliant job in keeping focus on the true tenets of this film.  Its strength and impact are drawn from these characters who boldly offer us a deep and meaningful view on what all of us long for...to love and be loved.  There are a lot of folks..we all know them...they are out there looking, begging, pleading to love and be loved.  It's interesting and engaging to try and fill in the various gaps that exist between the short story, screenplay and film as we're all interested in gaining a better understanding of this great story. But in the end, there's a simple and sweet message being offered here...two simple, unassuming souls who go up into a beautiful (perhaps idyllic) location, sharing their lives with a pure honesty, openness and closeness, only to come off of the mountain forever changed.  Neither one anticipated or expected the result.  It just happened.  Those are the events in life that seem to be the most wonderful, most satisfying and most transforming.  Let there be no doubt.  This is a remarkable film with a timeless message.  I really hope and encourage that each one of us will take a personal oath to echo these messages with every opportunity.

stationbbm 

Offline ChefStevo

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2006, 01:49 AM »
Well Said StationBBM!!!
Thank you for taking the time!
Steven

Offline ChefStevo

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2006, 01:55 AM »
You know StationBBM...
I really have to go further.....You Really said it all!!!  This has been a HUGE movie for me!!! It hits home it sooooo many ways...and it's just the movie that won't let me go!!!!!  Thanks for your response....
Steven

Offline brokebackmountain

• Brokebackmountain is now "ethan"
  • Administrator
  • Jack
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2006, 06:32 AM »
Chef Steve:

Well said.  Those participating on this forum have done a brilliant job in keeping focus on the true tenets of this film.  Its strength and impact are drawn from these characters who boldly offer us a deep and meaningful view on what all of us long for...to love and be loved.  There are a lot of folks..we all know them...they are out there looking, begging, pleading to love and be loved.  It's interesting and engaging to try and fill in the various gaps that exist between the short story, screenplay and film as we're all interested in gaining a better understanding of this great story. But in the end, there's a simple and sweet message being offered here...two simple, unassuming souls who go up into a beautiful (perhaps idyllic) location, sharing their lives with a pure honesty, openness and closeness, only to come off of the mountain forever changed.  Neither one anticipated or expected the result.  It just happened.  Those are the events in life that seem to be the most wonderful, most satisfying and most transforming.  Let there be no doubt.  This is a remarkable film with a timeless message.  I really hope and encourage that each one of us will take a personal oath to echo these messages with every opportunity.

stationbbm 

stationbbm, you are one of many in this forum doing a brilliant job. After I saw BBM, I was browsing a lot of sites on this movie. Sadly, I have read many bashing this movie. This is my main motivation to create the forum - a place for the fans to exchange, express, and cherish the experiences without prejuduce, hatred, bashing. Thank you for many of you who have made this forum a great BBM community.
Born from their love..forever bound by ours.

JerBear418720

« Reply #9 on: Jan 08, 2006, 12:05 AM »
The reviewer insists that BBM has an agenda - I disagree - its a piece of art.

The Christian Right (which has nothing to do with being Christian OR right!) will hate the fact that because BBM is such a wonderful movie, by extension, it does a good job depicting gay men ACCURATELY as being just as loving, devoted, vulnerable and flawed as anybody else.  They would prefer to think of us as depraved, conniving animals (its easier to hate the "evil").  Ang Lee subtlely and effectively (but never intentionally - he had no "message") discredits that way of thinking just by making something beautiful.

I think a lot of str8 folks who know nothing about "gay" and make the choice to see BBM are about to have their eyes opened in a very positive way!

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
  • No longer using this account: frog123
« Reply #10 on: Jan 08, 2006, 09:18 AM »
I think a lot of str8 folks who know nothing about "gay" and make the choice to see BBM are about to have their eyes opened in a very positive way!

Hear hear!
Support bacteria, they are the only culture some people have!

If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I.
~ Michel Eyquem de Montaigne (1533-1592) ~ (Thankx to gimmejack)