Author Topic: When Jack steals Ennis' shirt  (Read 8825 times)

Offline forbiddenlovers

• Lureen
When Jack steals Ennis' shirt
« on: Apr 10, 2006, 08:43 AM »
Hi All, it's Ann :)

There are so many scenes and topics I want to touch on, but I will start here with the one thing that popped up into my head.

It wasn't until after i watched the DVD for the 2nd time that smirk or little innocent look from Jack when Ennis said "I can't believe I left my damn shirt up there" And you get the "yeah" from Jack. I obviously, didn't catch that the first time and it had no siginificance until we see that Jack took that shirt. Watching the movie again and seeing Jack appear like he had no idea where Ennis's shirt went to was priceless. Such a great little shot there!! Anyone else really find that worth a chuckle.
~~I wish I knew how to quit you~~

Beautiful icon from Cherry Sin at Live Journal

Offline Patriot1

• BBM. What could possibly top it?
  • Jack + Ennis
  • In loving memory of Matthew Shepard 1976 - 1998
Re: When Jack steals Ennis' shirt
« Reply #1 on: Apr 10, 2006, 11:21 AM »

There are so many scenes and topics I want to touch on, but I will start here with the one thing that popped up into my head.

It wasn't until after i watched the DVD for the 2nd time that smirk or little innocent look from Jack when Ennis said "I can't believe I left my damn shirt up there" And you get the "yeah" from Jack. I obviously, didn't catch that the first time and it had no siginificance until we see that Jack took that shirt. Watching the movie again and seeing Jack appear like he had no idea where Ennis's shirt went to was priceless. Such a great little shot there!! Anyone else really find that worth a chuckle.

Like you said forbiddenlovers, the first time I didn't notice but from then on, yes, you are right. His little innocent look does make me chuckle....and then cry because I know where the shirt is going.

Tell you what...truth is, sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it...

Love is a force of nature.

Offline forbiddenlovers

• Lureen
« Reply #2 on: Apr 10, 2006, 12:32 PM »
Exactly!! When you first see it again and realized what has become of that shirt, you laugh to yourself, but then, you're suddenly sad because you realize the significance of that shirt in the end. Oh how i love this movie!! Am I home yet? Am I watching the DVD AGAIN? No, it's only 1:30 and I'm still at work. DARNIT!! lol

Offline Toadily

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
  • "Friend, we got ourselves a situation here"
« Reply #3 on: Apr 10, 2006, 12:42 PM »
Yep, you can tell what is going on once you know the ending, great moment.  Jake got the subtley there. Cause
I mean a missed shirt for a dirt poor kid is big, he probably had to wait a week to buy a new one.
"it's Love, Blockhead!"
-Pierre Marivaux  The Triumph of Love

"To love an idea is to love it a little more than one should."  -Jean Rostand

Offline forbiddenlovers

• Lureen
« Reply #4 on: Apr 10, 2006, 01:05 PM »
That's the truth. To Ennis, that shirt was more than just a shirt because of his money problems and not being able to afford clothing so easily.. To Jack,  that shirt was also more than just a shirt, but for more of a sentimental reason. Amazing isn't it? The power of a shirt!

Offline Valandil Eluch

• Brokie by heart
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Love have no face or gender is a Force of Nature
« Reply #5 on: Apr 10, 2006, 01:18 PM »
indeed it is since he didn't have a picture of Ennis he needed something to remember him or maybe feel him and it was easy the shirt. i saw his face and he have this face of i know where it is but i won't tell you and i was really surprised at the same time.
There was some open space between what he knew and what he tried to believe, but nothing could be done about it, and if you can't fix it you've got to stand it.

Offline forbiddenlovers

• Lureen
« Reply #6 on: Apr 10, 2006, 01:31 PM »
Right! The closest thing to having Ennis near, was to at least have something of his. It has his scent on it, it has the memory of seeing him and remembering him in that shirt. It also made him feel closer to Ennis, or at least made him feel as if Ennis were right there. I know that's something I've done before. Taken a piece of clothing from a guy to just have that memory near when I wear it, or just look at it!

Offline Valandil Eluch

• Brokie by heart
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #7 on: Apr 10, 2006, 03:14 PM »
well  i know how jack felt with the shirt i have a lot of things of my family to remember i have my nephew's toys that i took from his house and bring it to my room, i have my mother's chále, my little brothers toys, call me weird but i have stuff that would remember my family or firends because on a certain way i'll have back some memories of them especially the ones that passed away.
There was some open space between what he knew and what he tried to believe, but nothing could be done about it, and if you can't fix it you've got to stand it.

Offline Italian_Dude

• Jack + Ennis
  • Love is Never Wrong
« Reply #8 on: Apr 10, 2006, 03:37 PM »
I felt so dumb. The first 2 times I saw the movie I didn't notice this AT ALL.

I didn't make the connection of "I can't believe I left my damn shirt up there"
with the end when Ennis finds the shirt, its Ennis's that is underneath, that Jack actually took to like remember him by..!

OMG :'( :'( :'( it so touching and I didn't figure it out!! :(

Thank God for our Queen who so kindly pointed it out to me!! I must have been stunned or something, then I cried even more when seeing it and knowing that! awww! :(
You and me together
Through the days and nights
I don't worry 'cause
Everything's gonna be all right
People keep talking
They can say what they like
But all I know is everything's gonna be all right..

Offline Patriot1

• BBM. What could possibly top it?
  • Jack + Ennis
  • In loving memory of Matthew Shepard 1976 - 1998
« Reply #9 on: Apr 10, 2006, 04:03 PM »
I felt so dumb. The first 2 times I saw the movie I didn't notice this AT ALL.

I didn't make the connection of "I can't believe I left my damn shirt up there"
with the end when Ennis finds the shirt, its Ennis's that is underneath, that Jack actually took to like remember him by..!

OMG :'( :'( :'( it so touching and I didn't figure it out!! :(

Thank God for our Queen who so kindly pointed it out to me!! I must have been stunned or something, then I cried even more when seeing it and knowing that! awww! :(

OK I_D, now you have me curious.  What did you think the second shirt was all this time?  To me, this scene is the key scene in the movie...the turning point.  What were you thinking when you saw it?

Tell you what...truth is, sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it...

Love is a force of nature.

Offline BBBOY

• Brokeback Junkie
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Ya know I ain't straight Me neither
« Reply #10 on: Apr 10, 2006, 05:22 PM »
That's the truth. To Ennis, that shirt was more than just a shirt because of his money problems and not being able to afford clothing so easily.. To Jack,  that shirt was also more than just a shirt, but for more of a sentimental reason. Amazing isn't it? The power of a shirt!

The power of two shirts!

Ennis, riding against the wind back to the sheep in the treacherous, drunken darken light, thought he'd never had such a good time, felt he could paw the white out of the moon.

Offline forbiddenlovers

• Lureen
« Reply #11 on: Apr 10, 2006, 07:28 PM »
Oh yes, forgive me there, I misquoted myself. The power of TWO shirts, because that's what it is. In the end, it's two shirts!! Great catch BBBoy!!!

Offline rikcub

• Lureen
« Reply #12 on: Apr 10, 2006, 08:54 PM »

Yes....I am right with you...the more I see the movie the more I like that sly but innocent look on Jack's face.  Actually watch that scene closely in future viewings...it is one of Jake G's great scenes just by facial expressions.  He is amazing!

Offline City Slickin' Cowboy

• BBM Addict for Life.
  • Jack + Ennis
  • It's A BBM Love Affair
« Reply #13 on: Apr 11, 2006, 03:52 AM »
I have to admit...during my first viewing, I didn't make the shirt connection until about 24 hours later.  Of course that prompted my second viewing, among other reasons.  During the first viewing I was paying too much attention to Jack's denim jacket.  During the second viewing I actually noticed the blood stains on Ennis's shirt. At that point I had a second wave of tears that lasted thru the end of the movie.  I need to stop here because I feel another wave coming. :'( :'(
A reminder Brokies...there is no known cure for PBS.  It's merely managed.

balchy28

« Reply #14 on: Apr 11, 2006, 04:20 AM »
I figured out about Jack taking the shirt and Ennis saying he left it up there etc but thanks for pointing out the shot of Jack when Ennis says he left the shirt up there, i'll look out for it! It's kinda hard thinking about such a sad scene when you're listening to 'Opening' off the soundtrack!  :'( Lauren x

Offline forbiddenlovers

• Lureen
« Reply #15 on: Apr 11, 2006, 07:48 AM »
rikcub, exactly!! It's more in the facial expressions than what he says. It's the glint in his eyes as he delivers just one word, "yeah"  It's the nod of his head, it's everything. And yes, cityslickin, it's something to bring tears to your eyes once you realize the significance of that shirt and the fact that we are going to see it at the end in, what I feel in my opinion, one of the most prolific and gut wrenching scenes of the movie when Ennis has time alone with that shirt in Jack's bedroom!! Ugh, I want to cry just thinking about it!!

Offline City Slickin' Cowboy

• BBM Addict for Life.
  • Jack + Ennis
  • It's A BBM Love Affair
« Reply #16 on: Apr 11, 2006, 01:51 PM »
... what I feel in my opinion, one of the most prolific and gut wrenching scenes of the movie when Ennis has time alone with that shirt in Jack's bedroom!! Ugh, I want to cry just thinking about it!!

It's making me tear up right now.  :'(   Just the thought of Ennis holding those two garments, reliving their beautiful time together, and coming to full terms with how special he was to Jack from the beginning. It tears my heart out.  Sometimes I think this scene portrayed a moment when Ennis stopped defining their relationship as "this thing."

"This thing" was love.
A reminder Brokies...there is no known cure for PBS.  It's merely managed.

Offline Valandil Eluch

• Brokie by heart
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #17 on: Apr 11, 2006, 01:56 PM »
  Sometimes I think this scene portrayed a moment when Ennis stopped defining their relationship as "this thing."

"This thing" was love.

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( it is so true he was able at last to realize the true nature of their relationship