Author Topic: Jack Not Going for Coffee after reunion  (Read 7740 times)

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
Jack Not Going for Coffee after reunion
« on: Apr 10, 2006, 09:53 PM »
Alma: "Texan don't drink coffee"?

Well..we know that is not the reason why Jack didn't go up with Ennis. Did Jack feel uncomfortable to go up there and face Alma for taking her husband away for unexpected fishing trip?

And Alma is right - Jack could have come inside and have a cup of coffee. If I were Alma, I would have felt something wrong.

What do you think?
Remembering Pierre (chameau) 1960-2015, a "Capricorn bro and crazy Frog Uncle from the North Pole." You are missed

Offline Tom

• Jack + Ennis
Re: Jack Not Going for Coffee after reunion
« Reply #1 on: Apr 10, 2006, 09:59 PM »
I don't think it was Jack's choice. I think Ethan was so keen to get away with Jack that he probably told him he would grab his stuff and be right back. He was very eagerto get away with Jack and if he had asked him up to the house it would have meant sitting and chatting and wasting what little precious time they had.

Also if Jack had came up to the flat Alma may have asked an awkward question and Ennis being who he was wouldn't have liked that.
Actually, "life does get better than this"

Offline LuvJackNasty

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #2 on: Apr 10, 2006, 10:00 PM »
I can see why Jack wouldn't feel comfortable going up there. It probably took all of his strength to go up there the first time- esp. after that kiss! It's possible that Ennis told him to wait down there while he grabbed a few things. I don't think Ennis liked his two worlds colliding.

Alma already knew something was wrong witnessing that kiss. To me, when Ennis came in to start getting his stuff and said they were going fishing she looked angry when she looked out the window at Jack. How could she not be? I think that maybe she was trying to get Ennis to stay a little longer and perhaps start some kind of conversation with him. Or just "feeling him out" by his response?
“What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close, the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger."

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not the only one I hope someday you'll join us And the world will live as one ~ Imagine- J. Lennon

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #3 on: Apr 10, 2006, 10:02 PM »
I think *Ethan* was so keen to get away with Jack.

Tom, how do you know that I was so keen to get away with Jack? LOL  ;D

Great point. Our boys just wanted to get away. Thanks, Tom.

Remembering Pierre (chameau) 1960-2015, a "Capricorn bro and crazy Frog Uncle from the North Pole." You are missed

Offline Tom

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #4 on: Apr 10, 2006, 10:05 PM »
I think *Ethan* was so keen to get away with Jack.

Tom, how do you know that I was so keen to get away with Jack? LOL  ;D

Great point. Our boys just wanted to get away. Thanks, Tom.

You are welcome, hope it gives you sweet dreams.

I'm not gonna modify it, I'll leave it just for you.

Good night Ethan mate, catch you tomorrow
Actually, "life does get better than this"

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #5 on: Apr 10, 2006, 10:09 PM »
You are welcome, hope it gives you sweet dreams.
I'm not gonna modify it, I'll leave it just for you.
Good night Ethan mate, catch you tomorrow

G'night. Hope you dream Jack coming for coffee.  :D

Offline coguaro

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #6 on: Apr 13, 2006, 04:59 AM »
In my opinion Jack had a great embarrass to face Alma. In the short story we know how Jack was scared at Alma presence! 

After kiss reunion scene Alma was really confused and upset. She didn't comprises what was happening.. I think she spontaneously ask "Texan don't drink coffee?" as she want to exprime to Ennis all her perplexity and inability  to understand... as she said him "Texan don't like woman?"
I swear... I will never mistake again...

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #7 on: Apr 13, 2006, 06:44 AM »
Did you all notice how Gyllenhaal/Jack kept his head bowed right before he said somthing like "Nice meeting you, ma'am"?  When hsi face showed, he definitely looked very uncomfortable.

I feel that in this scene, Ennis did not want to really share Jack with Alma (much less get Alma to get to know a bit too much about the two of them).  This I had mentioned in a previous thread about Ennis being 'possessive'.  But there is no denying that Ennis must have been aware that Jack was also uncomfortable in Alma's presence, for obvious reasons. 

I think it is a mixture of both.

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #8 on: Apr 13, 2006, 02:27 PM »
Thanks, tpe for your insights.

I just felt this whole scene is awkward for three characters - Ennis is the one who is stuck in the middle between Alma and Jack.

Alma wanted to have a chance to gather more info and to understand what is going on

Jack just could not wait to spend more time with Ennis alone.

Ennis - all he could come up with is - "He is from Texas"  ;D

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #9 on: Apr 13, 2006, 03:59 PM »
Thanks, tpe for your insights.

I just felt this whole scene is awkward for three characters - Ennis is the one who is stuck in the middle between Alma and Jack.

Alma wanted to have a chance to gather more info and to understand what is going on

Jack just could not wait to spend more time with Ennis alone.

Ennis - all he could come up with is - "He is from Texas"  ;D

Hi Ethan.

You know, 3 things stick in my mind regarding this scene.

The first is Ennis wiping his mouth at the beginning, as if he feels there is something on his lips that will give him away to Alma. Or was he vaguely smacking his lips? (That being a sign of hunger...)

The second is Alma looking shocked with disbelief when Jack tells them that he has a baby boy.  Her thoughts: If HE could be like this, then so can MY Ennis!

The third is when Jack bows his head close to the end.

I agree with you, Alma did not want them alone with each other -- out of her sight.  THe boys couldn't wait to be alone with each other...

Offline NoReins

• Jack + Ennis
  • Redlined it all the way
« Reply #10 on: Apr 18, 2006, 07:55 AM »
I actually think this scene is one of the cutest in the whole movie - watching Jack and Ennis squirm their way through the brief meeting with Alma. We just know that both of them are thinking about the kiss they just shared and also keenly anticipating what's to come. Ennis obviously feels that he has to introduce Jack to Alma but at the same time he's like a wee boy who can't wait to open his presents at Christmas....to be fair though, if my presents looked like Jake Gyllenhaal, I'd be acting like a five year old too ;D

In the short story there's quite a lot more to this scene with lines about Ennis being able to feel how much Jack was shaking because they were both standing on the same floorboard and also about Jack's hand brushing against Ennis's and a charge of electricity shooting between them.

Actually, I've just realised that the two scenes being discussed here are different ones - the original post was about what Ennis says to Alma when he goes back to collect his fishing gear after their night in the motel, while this one was obviously just after the reunion make out. Someone else switched focus a couple of posts back....ah well...
« Last Edit: Apr 18, 2006, 08:02 AM by NoReins »
He will be eternally missed, but he will never be forgotten

Christopher Nolan, accepting the Best Supporting Actor Golden Globe on Heath's behalf.

He was, as an actor and a professional and a human being, one of a kind

Charles Roven, accepting Heath's BAFTA.

This award tonight would have humbly validated Heath's quiet determination to be truly accepted by you all here — his peers within an industry he so loved.

Kim Ledger, accepting Heath's Oscar.

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #11 on: Apr 18, 2006, 08:15 AM »
Actually, I've just realised that the two scenes being discussed here are different ones - the original post was about what Ennis says to Alma when he goes back to collect his fishing gear after their night in the motel, while this one was obviously just after the reunion make out. Someone else switched focus a couple of posts back....ah well...

NoReins, perhaps I carry the bulk of the blame.  They are quite related in my mind.  I hope you and the others will forgive me.  But yes, it was the night after scene that is the original scene under discussion.

Offline NoReins

• Jack + Ennis
  • Redlined it all the way
« Reply #12 on: Apr 18, 2006, 08:20 AM »

NoReins, perhaps I carry the bulk of the blame.  They are quite related in my mind.  I hope you and the others will forgive me.  But yes, it was the night after scene that is the original scene under discussion.

Hey, no blame - I don't need many excuses to start talking about my favourite scenes and the one straight after the make out is a favourite. And you're right - the two are related closely.

« Last Edit: Apr 18, 2006, 10:17 AM by NoReins »
He will be eternally missed, but he will never be forgotten

Christopher Nolan, accepting the Best Supporting Actor Golden Globe on Heath's behalf.

He was, as an actor and a professional and a human being, one of a kind

Charles Roven, accepting Heath's BAFTA.

This award tonight would have humbly validated Heath's quiet determination to be truly accepted by you all here — his peers within an industry he so loved.

Kim Ledger, accepting Heath's Oscar.

Offline filazahies

• Jack
« Reply #13 on: Apr 18, 2006, 09:37 AM »
When I first saw BBM I laughed at the conversation:
Ennis: "He's from Texas"
Alma:"Texans don't drink coffee?" :D :D

I don't think Jack was afraid of going up and talking to Alma, knowing how outgoing and spontaneous he was. I'm pretty sure Ennis was the one who suggested Jack staying outside, because he probably would feel  embarrased ( remember that Ennis doesn't know that Alma has already seen them kissing) of having both of them in the same room and being afraid of Jack saying something inappropiate.
And, apart from all this, I think Ennis was in such a hurry of leaving and spend the whole weekend with Jack. They had met after FOUR YEARS!!!!