Author Topic: GLAAD Media Awards  (Read 16868 times)

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
GLAAD Media Awards
« on: Mar 28, 2006, 09:26 AM »
From http://today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=entertainmentNews&storyID=2006-03-28T063026Z_01_N28342386_RTRUKOC_0_US-LEISURE-MEDIA.xml

------------------------------------------------------------------

'Brokeback Mountain' is tops at gay media awards
Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:30 AM ET

By Chris Michaud

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Oscar may have snubbed "Brokeback Mountain," but the so-called gay cowboy movie was tops with a gay watchdog group on Monday, adding the top prize to its burgeoning roster of honors at the GLAAD Media Awards.

The Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation named the film, which lost an Oscar for best picture to "Crash," the year's best wide release motion picture at its 17th annual awards.

Director Ang Lee accepted the award, commenting: "Finally, an award that actually means something."

Noting that "Brokeback Mountain" had won a slew of awards, Lee said, "Some of these are very meaningful to me.

"OK, there was that one that got away, but that's OK," he quipped.

Lee, who received a standing ovation from the audience at a Manhattan hotel, said it would likely be "the very last award I will accept for 'Brokeback Mountain' ... And to end the journey here tonight is like coming home. The fact is 'Brokeback Mountain' has helped to change the world."

Other winners of GLAAD's annual awards, which recognize mainstream media for "fair, accurate and inclusive representations" of the gay community, included Newsweek for magazine coverage, the FX reality program "Straight/Gay 30 Days," and ESPN's SportsCenter for its news segment "Andrew Goldstein," which profiled a gay lacrosse goalie.

Presenters included Oscar-winning actor Michael Douglas and comedienne and actress Sandra Bernhard. Writer-actor Bruce Vilanch, who has written the Oscar shows for several years, hosted the evening.

GLAAD was formed in New York in 1985 in response to sensationalized AIDS coverage by tabloid newspapers and local news stations.

« Last Edit: Mar 28, 2006, 11:40 AM by tpe »

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
  • No longer using this account: frog123
Re: GLAAD Media Awards
« Reply #1 on: Mar 28, 2006, 01:53 PM »
Thankx for posting!!

BBM that's another one for ya'!
Support bacteria, they are the only culture some people have!

If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I.
~ Michel Eyquem de Montaigne (1533-1592) ~ (Thankx to gimmejack)

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #2 on: Mar 28, 2006, 02:03 PM »
Thankx for posting!!

BBM that's another one for ya'!

Froggy, it's so touching what Ang Lee said: that this is probably the last award that BBM will receive.

He knows it's up to history now.

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
  • No longer using this account: frog123
« Reply #3 on: Mar 28, 2006, 02:16 PM »
Well I am hoping there will be more awards, like MTV movie awards, NRJ movie awards.......but Im sure history wont let us down!!!
Support bacteria, they are the only culture some people have!

If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I.
~ Michel Eyquem de Montaigne (1533-1592) ~ (Thankx to gimmejack)

Offline stephan

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #4 on: Mar 28, 2006, 02:19 PM »

Froggy, it's so touching what Ang Lee said: that this is probably the last award that BBM will receive.

He knows it's up to history now.

Oh, thanks so much for that remark, tpe. When I read the news elsewhere online today, I didn't understand why Ang Lee had said that, I was worried that he was already "shelving" the film.  :-[

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #5 on: Mar 28, 2006, 02:23 PM »
From Ang Lee: The fact is 'Brokeback Mountain' has helped to change the world.

He knows.

Offline stephan

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #6 on: Mar 28, 2006, 02:28 PM »
From Ang Lee: The fact is 'Brokeback Mountain' has helped to change the world.

He knows.

You have cheered me up no end.  xx

Offline Mars

• Red Planet
  • Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal 2 actors 1 legend
« Reply #7 on: Mar 28, 2006, 03:00 PM »

Really great...thanks Tpe :)
I swear....I'll see every film made by Ang Lee
He is such a sensitive man

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #8 on: Mar 28, 2006, 03:10 PM »

You're most welcome, Mars.  He certainly is.  I think he feels the weight of not getting Best Picture for BBM.  I think he would have galdly given up Best Director for Best Picture.  Somehow, I sense that this is the case.

aimi15

« Reply #9 on: Mar 28, 2006, 03:22 PM »

Me too - i have such respect for Ang, he has real old-fashioned integrity and belief in what he is trying to achieve. ;D

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
AMAZING ANG LEE QUOTE
« Reply #10 on: Mar 29, 2006, 08:22 AM »

I found this AMAZING quote from Ang Lee in reference to the GLAAD Award for BBM.  This the first time I have seen such as direct statement coming from him.  Can someone verify the reliability of this quote?

From http://www.pugbus.net/artman/publish/03292006_statements.shtml

By taking the top film prize yesterday at the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) awards, Brokeback Mountain proved that the anti-Crash backlash following this year's Oscar ceremony was not a simple case of sour grapes.

"Gays and lesbians took a lot of heat when they trashed Crash," said Brokeback director, Ang Lee, "but this award demonstrates that they were right. Brokeback deserved the best-picture Oscar. It's unfortunate that homophobia hijacked that prize this year. I am gratified, however, that a fair and balanced voting panel saw this movie for the masterpiece that it is."

Offline stephan

• Jack + Ennis
Re: AMAZING ANG LEE QUOTE
« Reply #11 on: Mar 29, 2006, 11:06 AM »

I found this AMAZING quote from Ang Lee in reference to the GLAAD Award for BBM.  This the first time I have seen such as direct statement coming from him.  Can someone verify the reliability of this quote?

My only other source on this is reuters, tpe, and they don't have that quote. According to reuters, Lee said "at last, an award that means something."

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #12 on: Mar 29, 2006, 11:12 AM »

My only other source on this is reuters, tpe, and they don't have that quote. According to reuters, Lee said "at last, an award that means something."

Thanks stephan.  I find Ang Lee so very direct in the above quote I gave.  I am not sure if he really said it, but I would be happy if he really did.  I agree with what he supposedly said here.  Just my opinion.

Offline Sitaram

• For Serious Discussions of Literature & Philosophy
  • Lureen
GLAAD Media Awards : Charlize Theron
« Reply #13 on: Apr 10, 2006, 06:16 AM »
http://articles.news.aol.com/entertainment/article.adp?id=20060409013109990001

Charlize Theron Honored at Gay Media Awards
By MICHAEL CIDONI, AP

Charlize Theron receives the Vanguard Award at the 17th Annual GLAAD Media Awards on Saturday in Hollywood, Calif.

LOS ANGELES (April 9) - Charlize Theron was honored with a top prize Saturday from the country's leading gay organization that monitors the media.

The Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation presented its Vanguard Award to Theron at the 17th annual GLAAD Media Awards for increasing "visibility and understanding in the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community."
"This is very surreal for me because two years ago, I stood right here and won my Oscar for 'Monster,"' Theron said in ceremonies at the Kodak Theatre in Hollywood.

Her portrayal of lesbian serial killer Aileen Wuornos in "Monster" won her the 2003 Academy Award for best actress.
Last year, Theron told TV's "Extra" that she and her partner, Stuart Townsend, would not wed until gay and lesbian couples attained the legal right to marry.

"I feel so fortunate that I am in a relationship with a wonderful man," Theron said Saturday night. "I find it incredibly unfair that because of our sexual preference, we have the rights that we have, and that, because of someone else's sexual preference, they don't have those same rights."

Other winners included Felicity Huffman's transsexual road trip "Transamerica" for outstanding film in limited release; cable TV's chic lesbian ensemble "The L Word" for outstanding drama series, and NBC's "Will & Grace" for outstanding comedy series.
Actress Laura Dern presented Grammy-winning singer and openly lesbian breast cancer survivor Melissa Etheridge with the Stephen F. Kolzak Award.

The honor, named after a Los Angeles casting director, is given annually to "an openly lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender media professional who has made a significant difference in promoting equal rights for our community."

Past recipients have included Ellen DeGeneres, director Todd Haynes and actor Ian McKellen.
The GLAAD Media Awards - consisting of 41 categories - are split into four individual ceremonies, held in Los Angeles, New York, Miami and San Francisco.

The New York ceremony was held March 27 and included Sandra Bernhard and Czech model Petra Nemcova presenting an honor to photographer David LaChapelle. The Miami ceremony is scheduled for May 25 and the San Francisco event is set for June 10.

VH1 is scheduled to air the Los Angeles awards April 16.

Words Transform the World (one person at a time).

Offline dirtbiker

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
Re: GLAAD Media Awards : Charlize Theron
« Reply #14 on: Apr 17, 2006, 09:33 AM »
I saw the awards last night on VH1.  Wow, I can't believe the article didn't mention BBM winning the Best Picture, Wide Release!  Ang Lee accepted the award.  A bit disappointed that the boys weren't there  :-\

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #15 on: Apr 17, 2006, 11:49 AM »
I saw the awards last night on VH1.  Wow, I can't believe the article didn't mention BBM winning the Best Picture, Wide Release!  Ang Lee accepted the award.  A bit disappointed that the boys weren't there  :-\

Yeah..why is that? Did he make an acceptance speech?
Remembering Pierre (chameau) 1960-2015, a "Capricorn bro and crazy Frog Uncle from the North Pole." You are missed

Offline Sabine

• Jack
« Reply #16 on: Apr 17, 2006, 11:52 AM »
The GLAAD awards aired this weekend at LOGO and VH1. Has anyone seen it?

Is there any chance that someone made a DVD/Video and is able to download it for us?

I want to see it so badly. I read on another board that Ang Lee got standing ovations before the whole buzz started?  :D 

Offline dirtbiker

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #17 on: Apr 17, 2006, 11:58 AM »

Yeah..why is that? Did he make an acceptance speech?

Yes, Ang, being his gracious self, made a nice acceptance speech.  He mentioned his work on Wedding Banquet 13 years earlier.  Melissa Etheridge, Michael Douglas, and other big names were presenting. Spurlock (the guy who did SuperSize Me) won for best documentary for the 30 days series he did on the Bible thumping straight marine living with a gay guy for 30 days - did you all see that doc?  It was really good, and I'm glad it won that category.  Spurlock made a crack that "even though he is straight, his moustache was really flaming"  LOL

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #18 on: Apr 17, 2006, 12:01 PM »
Yes, Ang, being his gracious self, made a nice acceptance speech.  He mentioned his work on Wedding Banquet 13 years earlier.  Melissa Etheridge, Michael Douglas, and other big names were presenting. Spurlock (the guy who did SuperSize Me) won for best documentary for the 30 days series he did on the Bible thumping straight marine living with a gay guy for 30 days - did you all see that doc?  It was really good, and I'm glad it won that category.  Spurlock made a crack that "even though he is straight, his moustache was really flaming"  LOL

Thanks for the update, dirtbiker. I hope I will be able to see the clip somewhere. I have not seen the documentary but I will check it out. LOL the quote from Spurlock is so funny.
Remembering Pierre (chameau) 1960-2015, a "Capricorn bro and crazy Frog Uncle from the North Pole." You are missed

Offline dirtbiker

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #19 on: Apr 17, 2006, 12:10 PM »
Yes, I saw it.  I'll merge the other topic into this one...

Offline Koka

• Heath, I swear!
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Where bluebirds sing and there's a whiskey spring
« Reply #20 on: Apr 24, 2006, 11:47 AM »
I'm so GLAD brokeback won the GLAAD award :D that really does mean something.
although I never got the chance to watch the show ( ceremony, whatever :D ), I've been a fan ever since Chris Meloni&Lee Tergesen ( from HBO's prison drama series OZ ) made out on stage while presenting. now THAT was HOT! :D
Why should I be out of mind
because I am out of sight?
I am waiting for you,
for an interval,
somewhere very near,
just around the corner.
All is well.

Offline Brokeback_Ca

• Lureen
« Reply #21 on: Apr 25, 2006, 09:49 PM »
Right at the beginning one of the hosts said "Ang Lee is here" and there was a long standing ovation. 1 1/2 hours later BBM wins. Another standing ovation and Ang gives the most moving speech.  They show some in the audience with tears running down.  Yeah, I was crying too.
The fact is: That Brokeback Mountain has helped to change the world.  We can change the world.  We really can.  We really are.  When the world is made better for one gay or lesbian person, it's better for everyone.    Ang Lee

Offline dirtbiker

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #22 on: Apr 25, 2006, 10:41 PM »
Right at the beginning one of the hosts said "Ang Lee is here" and there was a long standing ovation. 1 1/2 hours later BBM wins. Another standing ovation and Ang gives the most moving speech.  They show some in the audience with tears running down.  Yeah, I was crying too.

Yes, me too  :'(  I was in bed watching it on VH1.

BTW, Brokeback_Ca, welcome to the forum ;)

Offline Brokeback_Ca

• Lureen
« Reply #23 on: Apr 25, 2006, 11:02 PM »
http://articles.news.aol.com/entertainment/article.adp?id=20060409013109990001

Charlize Theron Honored at Gay Media Awards
By MICHAEL CIDONI, AP

Charlize Theron receives the Vanguard Award at the 17th Annual GLAAD Media Awards on Saturday in Hollywood, Calif.

LOS ANGELES (April 9) - Charlize Theron was honored with a top prize Saturday from the country's leading gay organization that monitors the media.

The Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation presented its Vanguard Award to Theron at the 17th annual GLAAD Media Awards for increasing "visibility and understanding in the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community."
"This is very surreal for me because two years ago, I stood right here and won my Oscar for 'Monster,"' Theron said in ceremonies at the Kodak Theatre in Hollywood.

Her portrayal of lesbian serial killer Aileen Wuornos in "Monster" won her the 2003 Academy Award for best actress.
Last year, Theron told TV's "Extra" that she and her partner, Stuart Townsend, would not wed until gay and lesbian couples attained the legal right to marry.

"I feel so fortunate that I am in a relationship with a wonderful man," Theron said Saturday night. "I find it incredibly unfair that because of our sexual preference, we have the rights that we have, and that, because of someone else's sexual preference, they don't have those same rights."

Other winners included Felicity Huffman's transsexual road trip "Transamerica" for outstanding film in limited release; cable TV's chic lesbian ensemble "The L Word" for outstanding drama series, and NBC's "Will & Grace" for outstanding comedy series.
Actress Laura Dern presented Grammy-winning singer and openly lesbian breast cancer survivor Melissa Etheridge with the Stephen F. Kolzak Award.

The honor, named after a Los Angeles casting director, is given annually to "an openly lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender media professional who has made a significant difference in promoting equal rights for our community."

Past recipients have included Ellen DeGeneres, director Todd Haynes and actor Ian McKellen.
The GLAAD Media Awards - consisting of 41 categories - are split into four individual ceremonies, held in Los Angeles, New York, Miami and San Francisco.

The New York ceremony was held March 27 and included Sandra Bernhard and Czech model Petra Nemcova presenting an honor to photographer David LaChapelle. The Miami ceremony is scheduled for May 25 and the San Francisco event is set for June 10.

VH1 is scheduled to air the Los Angeles awards April 16.

In the broadcast Charlize Theron received her award right after Ang Lee accepted for Brokeback, though Ang's BBM moment was the emotional high point of the evening. The show was a combination of ceremonies held in NY and LA. Both had occurred when the AP article was submitted. The omission of Brokeback's win and Ang Lee's moving speech and the love shown to him by everybody there was an intentional snub.  Anyone who did not see the broadcast, and a lot didn't, would get the impression that Brokeback Mountain and Ang Lee were not a part of the GLAAD Media Awards at all.  Some editor, the reporter, somebody at AP and AOL made the decision to erase BBM from the story and I don't appreciate it. I would like to write letters to whomever it may concern and let them know good reporting does not consist of erasing history. I will be back with names and addresses for all who would like to join me. AOL can certainly update their story, as can AP.  There are two more GLAAD award shows coming up, in Miami and in San Francisco.  Will they be (un)reported also?   Thanks!  :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)            UPDATE:  The LA story was entirely AP's.  At the end of the article, in their mention of the NY Awards, they didn't say anything about Ang's win and acceptance speech.  Many major media outlets picked up this story.  They did do a much smaller story after the NY Awards with references to BBM, Ang.  It was not picked up by many news outlets.   On their website, AP says "The AP is a bastion of the people's right to know"...or not know, in some cases. They also say with their larger articles they reach a BILLION people.  The LA Awards story obviously got wider promotion.     Millions of people who read it might have thought that BBM was  not honored at the largest Gay awards.        If anyone would like to contact AP and express their opinion on this subject they can do one or more of the following:  Call AP at (212)-621-1500. Ask to speak to the entertainment editor or leave a message for him/her or for Michael Cidoni.  No writer was named for the NY story. The NY fax is (212)-621-5469.  Send email, attn: Entertainment news to  info@ap.org.   They claim it will be forwarded to the reporter or editor.  Write a short letter to:  Headquarters      450 West 33rd Street   NY, NY 10001. Put Attn: Entertainment News.  Send a postcard.  Let's hope they're more balanced in their coverage of the SF and Miami GLAAD Awards and of BBM and Ang Lee in particular.  Remind them of their motto :)  This was an editorial decision by AP at the higher levels.  There are certainly plenty of people at AP who love BBM.      We love you Ang!!
« Last Edit: Apr 28, 2006, 04:14 AM by Brokeback_Ca »
The fact is: That Brokeback Mountain has helped to change the world.  We can change the world.  We really can.  We really are.  When the world is made better for one gay or lesbian person, it's better for everyone.    Ang Lee

Offline dirtbiker

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #24 on: Apr 25, 2006, 11:15 PM »
You can count me in Brokeback_Ca

Offline Brokeback_Ca

• Lureen
« Reply #25 on: Apr 27, 2006, 12:03 AM »

From http://www.pugbus.net/artman/publish/03292006_statements.shtml

By taking the top film prize yesterday at the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) awards, Brokeback Mountain proved that the anti-Crash backlash following this year's Oscar ceremony was not a simple case of sour grapes.

"Gays and lesbians took a lot of heat when they trashed Crash," said Brokeback director, Ang Lee, "but this award demonstrates that they were right. Brokeback deserved the best-picture Oscar. It's unfortunate that homophobia hijacked that prize this year. I am gratified, however, that a fair and balanced voting panel saw this movie for the masterpiece that it is."

tpe,  That website is a joke site. They satirize celebrities. Their motto is"lifting a leg on popular culture". They seem a bit harsh. In the "article" about the GLAAD awards they say that Melissa Etheridge won for "best music by a cancer survivor..."   That's just mean.  They also said Oprah Winfrey won for "Best Fag Hag", which, of course, never happened!

Offline tpring64

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #26 on: Apr 17, 2007, 11:06 AM »
18th Annual GLAAD Media Awards - Los Angeles - Show
April 14, 2007 - Kodak Theater
Los Angeles, California United States

WIRE IMAGE
http://www.wireimage.com/GalleryListing.asp?navtyp=gls===269155&Source=nws070416
Duke: Summer romances end for all kinds of reasons. But, when all is said and done, they have one thing in common - they are shooting stars, a spectacular moment of light in the heavens, a fleeting glimpse of eternity and in a flash they are gone.
--The Notebook

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #27 on: Apr 17, 2007, 11:17 AM »
18th Annual GLAAD Media Awards - Los Angeles - Show
April 14, 2007 - Kodak Theater
Los Angeles, California United States

WIRE IMAGE
http://www.wireimage.com/GalleryListing.asp?navtyp=gls===269155&Source=nws070416

Thanks tpring64!

You can see additional articles and many pictures of this event (particularly Jake and Aniston) in the Jake Gyllenhaal part of the forum.  :)

Offline dirtbiker

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #28 on: Apr 17, 2007, 12:41 PM »
Anyone know if this show is being televised or available online?  :s)

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #29 on: Apr 17, 2007, 12:46 PM »