Author Topic: Directors Guild Award - Ang Lee won (January 28, 2006)  (Read 32141 times)

Offline karind1

• Jack
Re: Directors Guild Award - January 28, 2006
« Reply #30 on: Jan 29, 2006, 12:26 AM »
Oh so it's like he has his already...well let's hope not.  He should win for dealing with the sheep alone!

I love those sheep, especially when one jumps on top of the other just to get some glimpse. They make me smile and somehow they signify the bond between Ennis and Jack. If there weren't those sheep, no Ennis and Jack. I am kinda grateful to these sheep.  ;D

i love when the sheep pees it is really a great scene as they are moving them up the mountain tin the beginning--must be girl sheep it was squatting (left side of screen)

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #31 on: Jan 29, 2006, 12:35 AM »
LOL. I love how this topic is heading. Those award presenters gotta be fast. I could imagine those guests discussing the sheep too.
Remembering Pierre (chameau) 1960-2015, a "Capricorn bro and crazy Frog Uncle from the North Pole." You are missed

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #32 on: Jan 29, 2006, 12:55 AM »
Still no word of winner.  ???
Remembering Pierre (chameau) 1960-2015, a "Capricorn bro and crazy Frog Uncle from the North Pole." You are missed

Offline karind1

• Jack
« Reply #33 on: Jan 29, 2006, 01:05 AM »
i can't stand it...i live about two and a half miles from where awards are being held--i wanna know NOW...oh well....patience has never been a virtue of mine.

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #34 on: Jan 29, 2006, 01:08 AM »
Following DGA on oscarwatch.com

Best director is coming up.

This Saturday night the Directors Guild will hand out its top award. It's always a difficult night for Oscarwatchers because we wait patiently for news. The winner will be announced latewards of 10 p.m.

The DGA's winner almost always goes on to win the Oscar, though there have been a few notable exceptions. Ang Lee won everything for Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon but Steven Soderbergh won the Oscar for Traffic. Even Soderbergh was aghast at the decision but he made a graceful speech nonetheless. If you all remember correctly there was a whisper campaign, an email campaign and general wave to win Soderbergh the Oscar when it was looking like he was canceling himself out with his duel noms for Erin Brockovich and Traffic. Voters finally decided to put their weight behind one film to win the director the award. Many out there, though, thought it should have been Mr. Lee's to lose.

If Ang Lee loses the DGA again this year it will hook the plot and spin it in another direction, giving another film the momentum it needs to take the baby home. It's impossible to imagine, however, anyone but Lee winning.

Brokeback Mountain is easily the best directed film of the bunch; it is the most courageous, the most elegant, the most beautiful. The way Lee works with actors ought to be reason enough, but it's more than that. His gift with illustrating lonely hearts with vast, empty yet breathtaking landscapes is astonishing, especially when it involves tall and powerful mountains which seem to be both a haven for the two leads as well as judgment from on high.

(I gotta admit I stole that landscape line from someone who recently summed up Lee's visual talents that way ... well, you know, we take 'em where we can get 'em - and if you can't fix it, you have to stand it).

The two that seem to be waiting in line are George Clooney for his brilliant Good Night, and Good Luck - a perfect film that launches Clooney in the big leagues. And Paul Haggis for Crash, the only other movie to break hearts and draw tears in the DGA lineup.

Bennett Miller and Steven Spielberg will have a harder time and ought to be considered dark horses at this point, with one possible scenario unfolding. If, by chance, people feel sympathy for Spielberg and want to "send a message" to the rest of the world in support of his "prayer for peace," it is possible Spielberg could win and thus making Munich the player everyone prematurely thought it would be.

But it's Lee's for the taking for my money. We will be at our laptops bringing the news as it unfolds.

« Last Edit: Jan 29, 2006, 01:11 AM by ethan »

Offline Toadily

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
  • "Friend, we got ourselves a situation here"
« Reply #35 on: Jan 29, 2006, 01:13 AM »
You'll
 post right.
"it's Love, Blockhead!"
-Pierre Marivaux  The Triumph of Love

"To love an idea is to love it a little more than one should."  -Jean Rostand

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
  • No longer using this account: frog123
« Reply #36 on: Jan 29, 2006, 01:13 AM »
Following DGA on oscarwatch.com

Best director is coming up.

where what link..I cant see anything on oscarwatch?!!!!!
Support bacteria, they are the only culture some people have!

If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I.
~ Michel Eyquem de Montaigne (1533-1592) ~ (Thankx to gimmejack)

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #37 on: Jan 29, 2006, 01:22 AM »
where what link..I cant see anything on oscarwatch?!!!!!

Gosh, you are still up. When you go to oscarwatch.com on the homepage, you should see something like

January 28, 2006
Werner Herzog Takes Best Director for Grizzly Man

Grizzly Man, which didn't make the AMPAS cut, took the DGA for Best Director for a Documentary.

Next up, Director for Feature Film.

Offline Toadily

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #38 on: Jan 29, 2006, 01:23 AM »
I'm hoping, let us know Ethan!  Go Ang!
"it's Love, Blockhead!"

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #39 on: Jan 29, 2006, 01:27 AM »
Go Ang. This would be a great new year gift for him. It is Chinese New Year Eve.

Offline Toadily

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #40 on: Jan 29, 2006, 01:28 AM »
Did they announce it?
"it's Love, Blockhead!"

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #41 on: Jan 29, 2006, 01:28 AM »
I'm on Getty..they have posted some pix already!

George Clooney just won something!

« Last Edit: Apr 22, 2006, 05:58 PM by Frog123 »

If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I.

Offline Toadily

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #42 on: Jan 29, 2006, 01:29 AM »
He beat Ang?  no way....that's just wrong... :-[
"it's Love, Blockhead!"

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #43 on: Jan 29, 2006, 01:30 AM »

Offline Toadily

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #44 on: Jan 29, 2006, 01:32 AM »
I am watching "What's up Doc" now from the 70's it has a very young Randy Quaid in it. 
"it's Love, Blockhead!"

Offline Toadily

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #45 on: Jan 29, 2006, 01:36 AM »
Do we know what happened?
"it's Love, Blockhead!"

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #46 on: Jan 29, 2006, 01:38 AM »
I am reading the discussion board at oscarwatch

there are rumors that Ang won but no one can confirm

Offline Toadily

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #47 on: Jan 29, 2006, 01:40 AM »
I am thinking he had to have, I'll try google too.
"it's Love, Blockhead!"

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #48 on: Jan 29, 2006, 01:43 AM »
our boys presenting...Jake was there after all!

« Last Edit: Apr 22, 2006, 05:56 PM by Frog123 »

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #49 on: Jan 29, 2006, 01:43 AM »

it is only a nomination plague

« Last Edit: Jan 29, 2006, 02:05 AM by ethan »

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #50 on: Jan 29, 2006, 01:45 AM »
yeah!!!!!!!!!

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #51 on: Jan 29, 2006, 01:50 AM »
http://editorial.gettyimages.com/source/search/product.aspx?p=3&e=56654052&pg=1&am=-1

It's a wrap!!

All the pix are there...i'm scanning through!

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #52 on: Jan 29, 2006, 01:50 AM »

Ang Lee holds the award for outstanding directorial achievement in feature film for his work in 'Brokeback Mountain,' as presenter Ron Howard looks on backstage at the 58th Annual Directors Guild Awards in Los Angeles

It is official....Ang Lee won[/size]

http://today.reuters.com/news/NewsArticle.aspx?type=entertainmentNews&storyID=2006-01-29T064401Z_01_N29354728_RTRUKOC_0_US-LEISURE-DIRECTORS.xml

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Taiwanese filmmaker Ang Lee won the top prize from the Directors Guild of America on Saturday for his work on "Brokeback Mountain," the gay-cowboy romance that has already swept many key awards.

Lee beat out George Clooney for "Good Night, and Good Luck," Paul Haggis for "Crash," Bennett Miller for "Capote" and Steven Spielberg for "Munich."

The DGA Award winner and the Oscar winner for director have matched in 51 of the last 57 years, including last year, when Clint Eastwood won both trophies for "Million Dollar Baby."

Lee was one of the exceptions, winning the DGA Award in 2001 for "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon," but losing on Oscar night to Steven Soderbergh for "Traffic."

Oscar nominations will be unveiled on Tuesday, with the winners announced during the 78th annual Academy Awards on March 5.

"Brokeback Mountain," starring Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal as two lovelorn cowboys, has already won four Golden Globe Awards, as well as the top prize from the Producers Guild of America. The winner of the latter award usually goes on to win the best picture Oscar.

Next up is the Screen Actors Guild Awards on Sunday, where "Brokeback Mountain" is the leading contender, with four nominations.

« Last Edit: Jan 29, 2006, 04:15 AM by frog123 »

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #53 on: Jan 29, 2006, 01:54 AM »
Thanks for staying up. Time for me to get some sleep. Looking forward to the SGA tomorrow evening.

Offline Toadily

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
Re: Directors Guild Award - Ang Lee won (January 28, 2006)
« Reply #54 on: Jan 29, 2006, 02:00 AM »
Cool, see you all tomorrow afternoon
"it's Love, Blockhead!"

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #55 on: Jan 29, 2006, 04:14 AM »
Awwwwww!

Offline hidesert

• Alma
« Reply #56 on: Jan 29, 2006, 09:00 AM »
Thanks Froggy and Ethan for all the DGA info including the Getty pics!!!!  I especially liked the "Awwwwww!" one.    Get some well deserved sleep.   

I didn't see Randy Quaid from BBM who was also supposed to have been a presenter, but I haven't gotten through all the Getty pics yet. 

From AP Entertainment:

Ang Lee Honored As Filmmaker of the Year

By SANDY COHEN, AP Entertainment Writer  1/29/06

The most lauded movie of 2005 added another honor to its list Saturday. Ang Lee was named filmmaker of the year by his peers, winning the Directors Guild of America award for the epic romance "Brokeback Mountain."

The win affirms Lee's position as favorite for best director at the Academy Awards on March 5. He has captured more than 10 honors for his work on the film, which follows a 20-year forbidden love affair between two Wyoming ranch hands. Oscar nominations will be announced Tuesday.

The Directors Guild award is one of Hollywood's best barometers for the Academy Awards. Only six times in the 57-year history of the Guild honors has the winner failed to go on to win the directing Oscar.

Lee was one of them. He won the guild prize in 2001 for "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon," but Stephen Soderbergh took home the best director Oscar for "Traffic."

This year, Lee bested fellow guild nominees Steven Spielberg ("Munich"), Paul Haggis ("Crash"), Bennett Miller ("Capote") and George Clooney ("Good Night, and Good Luck).

"There's no winner," Lee said before earning the night's top prize. "I think we're all winners because we're blessed. We're filmmakers. What a life."

Based on a short story by E. Annie Proulx, "Brokeback" stars Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal as roughneck sheepherding pals who conceal their homosexual relationship from their families. Ledger and Gyllenhaal have garnered acting nods for their performances from critics groups and the Screen Actors Guild, which will present its awards Sunday.

"Ang Lee is fierce in his timidity, his humbleness and his respect for everyone around him," Gyllenhaal said as he presented the diminutive director with a medallion in honor of his nomination. "He's frustrating and so damn wise."

Ledger was equally generous with praise, thanking Lee for "introducing us to these delicate characters."

"It took a delicate man to tell this story, and that's you," Ledger said.

"I don't know about you," Lee said with a laugh, "but that feels a little gay to me."

The guild prize is particularly meaningful because it's decided by fellow directors, Lee said.

"This is like winning at home," he said. "This is professional approval."

Lee was also nominated for a DGA prize in 1995 for "Sense and Sensibility."

Spielberg, who has earned 10 guild nominations, characterized the year's nominated feature films as "the most courageous" of any he's competed against.

The DGA awards, presented at the Hyatt Century Plaza Hotel, honored directorial achievements in 10 categories.

Veteran director Clint Eastwood was presented with the guild's lifetime achievement award.

« Last Edit: Jan 29, 2006, 09:03 AM by hidesert »

Offline hidesert

• Alma
« Reply #57 on: Jan 29, 2006, 09:12 AM »
our boys presenting...Jake was there after all!

Someplace, maybe the Schamus interview it said that Focus got special permission from the producers of "Zodiac" for Jake to attend the DGA ceremony.  "Zodiac" is being filmed in the Bay Area so it's only a one hour flight to LA.

And we'll see all of them at the SAG awards tonight.  Thanks for the streaming link so I don't have to wait three hours to see it.

« Last Edit: Jan 29, 2006, 10:00 AM by hidesert »

Offline ginachiu

• Cassie
« Reply #58 on: Jan 29, 2006, 12:54 PM »
Congratulations to  the Director Ang Lee ! ! So excited , so happy, Our director , Ang Lee 李安 ,
( I am from Taiwan )Tonight I just saw two interviews regarding BBM in Taiwanese cable TV,
it was in mandarin, Director Ang Lee talked about BBM after getting the 4 awards
in Golden Glove Awards ! Although the interviews were quite short( only about 30 mins. ),
I was very happy to see it on TV because I just missed it when it was shown
on TV at first time.

Let me pray that Director Ang Lee can go for a next successful step in Oscar.

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #59 on: Jan 29, 2006, 01:10 PM »
Congratulations to  the Director Ang Lee ! ! So excited , so happy, Our director , Ang Lee 李安 ,
( I am from Taiwan )Tonight I just saw two interviews regarding BBM in Taiwanese cable TV,
it was in mandarin, Director Ang Lee talked about BBM after getting the 4 awards
in Golden Glove Awards ! Although the interviews were quite short( only about 30 mins. ),
I was very happy to see it on TV because I just missed it when it was shown
on TV at first time.

Let me pray that Director Ang Lee can go for a next successful step in Oscar.

Thanks for the update. You may find this topic interesting

http://www.ennisjack.com/index.php?topic=450.0