Author Topic: "We herded sheep up on Brokeback one summer"  (Read 26429 times)

Offline christie wood

• Jack + Ennis
"We herded sheep up on Brokeback one summer"
« on: May 04, 2006, 03:07 PM »
On my latest viewing, something struck me about what Ennis says to Lureen. After Lureen says how she thought Brokeback was a pretend place, Ennis says "no ma'am, we herded sheep up on Brokeback one summer".  This is the point where, IMO, everything seems to click into place for Lureen - she now knows what Brokeback really meant to Jack.   By telling Lureen that not only did Brokeback exist, it existed because of that summer, 20 years earlier, that Jack spent with Ennis. 

Doesn't this mean then that this statement from Ennis was, in fact, a declaration, an acknowledgement about his relationship with Jack? He was actually, for the first time, openly expressing his love for him.  The more I thought about this, the more it struck me that this was exactly what he was doing.  I had always watched this scene from the point of view of Lureen finally getting what Brokeback meant, and what Ennis had really been to Jack. When all along, Ennis was there, tellling another person that Brokeback was their place, his and Jacks. 

Am I alone in this thought?  I really hope not, cos it kind of blew me away when I realised it.   
"Look at my boots, old and dingy" - Heath Ledger

aimi15

Re: "We herded sheep up on Brokeback one summer"
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 03:12 PM »
So glad you did this sweetie - let me collect my thoughts on it. I love that you brought it up!! :-*

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 03:17 PM »
Thanks Christie.  :)

I do believe Ennis unintentionally made this 'declaration'.  At that point, he was too enraptured by the memory of that first summer to even care what Lureen would surmise.

Involuntary or not, the effect was the same.  The reason why I think it is involuntary was that Ennis did not seem to realize the immediate effect his declaration had on Lureen.

Offline christie wood

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 03:33 PM »
Thanks Christie.  :)

I do believe Ennis unintentionally made this 'declaration'.  At that point, he was too enraptured by the memory of that first summer to even care what Lureen would surmise.

Involuntary or not, the effect was the same.  The reason why I think it is involuntary was that Ennis did not seem to realize the immediate effect his declaration had on Lureen.

Oh tpe, I'm glad you highlighted the "unintentional" bit about that declaration, because I now realise it was something I omitted from my original post.  That is what I meant too, I don't think for a minute that Ennis had decided to out himself and Jack to Lureen, but because of his tortured state of mind, he probably had no idea what he was saying really. 

But what I was trying to say was just the fact that he had actually said it, openly, for the very first time.  I hope that makes sense.  ???

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006, 04:06 PM »
Oh tpe, I'm glad you highlighted the "unintentional" bit about that declaration, because I now realise it was something I omitted from my original post.  That is what I meant too, I don't think for a minute that Ennis had decided to out himself and Jack to Lureen, but because of his tortured state of mind, he probably had no idea what he was saying really. 

But what I was trying to say was just the fact that he had actually said it, openly, for the very first time.  I hope that makes sense.  ???

Hello Christie.

I agree with you in that he did say it openly -- matter-of-factly-- as if it were the most natural thing in the world.  It is because it IS the most natural thing in the world for Ennis. 

I love him the most when his love quietly and so openly comes out of that rugged, stoic exterior.  This is one such scene.  The tone of his voice is something enchanted.  There was a wistfulness about how he said it.  For an instant, you are transported back to that first summer -- because he himself was, I believe.  And it seemed that Lureen was the furthest thing in his mind at that brief moment...

Offline christie wood

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2006, 04:39 PM »

Hello Christie.

I agree with you in that he did say it openly -- matter-of-factly-- as if it were the most natural thing in the world.  It is because it IS the most natural thing in the world for Ennis. 

I love him the most when his love quietly and so openly comes out of that rugged, stoic exterior.  This is one such scene.  The tone of his voice is something enchanted.  There was a wistfulness about how he said it.  For an instant, you are transported back to that first summer -- because he himself was, I believe.  And it seemed that Lureen was the furthest thing in his mind at that brief moment...

now why can't I express myself like you, tpe?  How you described Ennis in that scene was just beautiful.   :'(

Offline Valandil Eluch

• Brokie by heart
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Love have no face or gender is a Force of Nature
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2006, 05:17 PM »
Well that's right no one else knew they met on  brokeback except aguirre because Ennis told Alma he me was a fishing body and lureen i think the same, but that frase meant more than what it says. that means they knew more than she though it was his perfect place and why a place in which you spent three months with a man would be important to him? why he wanted so bad to be there. it was his place and we have to guess how he address that and the face he say that to lureen. the way lureen acted told us that Jack told her that brokeback was his paradise and it really hit her know that he share that paradise with Ennis and she just made math and realized that brokeback was their love.

Brokeback was their love as the mountain eternal strong and constant that's why he wanted to be thre, and Ennis admited, without knowing, how he loved jack and for the frist time admited to the world where he and jack shared their love. 
« Last Edit: May 04, 2006, 05:39 PM by Carlos_H82 »
There was some open space between what he knew and what he tried to believe, but nothing could be done about it, and if you can't fix it you've got to stand it.

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2006, 05:29 PM »
Do any of you feel that at the moment Ennis said the words about being in BBM in 63, that he was -- right there and then -- happy again?

There is a note of happiness in his voice.  It was as if Jack had not died...

Offline Jennis

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2006, 05:33 PM »
I think Lureen knew about Jack.She also knew Ennis by name,as she says on the phone."Jack used to mention you.You're the fishing/hunting buddy.I know that" She used the word Buddy at that stage in regards to Ennis,but as soon as Ennis mentions Brokeback and she knows it exists,then i think it hits her that Ennis was more then just a fishing buddy.I am sure Lureen knew of Jack's tendencies,but she didn't know he loved Ennis until that phone call most likely.Sorry,i'm detracting from what you originally said.I'm taking the long route to get there :)

As for Ennis 'outing himself'.I don't know.It was an innocent remark on the telephone.I agree with you and tpe that he was just talking but he wasn't thinking about what his words would mean to Lureen.It was the same with Alma and the "Texans don't drink coffee" sentence.He wasn't thinking straight,he was just thinking Jack.Same in the call box.He had just been dealt the biggest body blow of his life,so he told Lureen about Brokeback and confirmed it did in fact exist.

The thing i find most intriguing about that whole scene is Lureen and the ashes.When Lureen says "I'm sure they'd appreciate that.If his wishes was carried out.About the ashes i mean" What do you think the "I mean" signifies?I have my own thoughts,but i will shut up and see what else is said before i send you all to sleep ;D
Jennis.x

Offline Patriot1

• BBM. What could possibly top it?
  • Jack + Ennis
  • In loving memory of Matthew Shepard 1976 - 1998
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2006, 06:07 PM »
Do any of you feel that at the moment Ennis said the words about being in BBM in 63, that he was -- right there and then -- happy again?

I am sitting here watching that scene over and over and over and.... No, I can not detect any happiness in his voice or look.  He makes a simple statement to my eyes and ears.  But, that simple statement sure did mean something to Lureen. This is when she started to cry.

Tell you what...truth is, sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it...

Love is a force of nature.

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2006, 06:20 PM »
The thing i find most intriguing about that whole scene is Lureen and the ashes.When Lureen says "I'm sure they'd appreciate that.If his wishes was carried out.About the ashes i mean" What do you think the "I mean" signifies?I have my own thoughts,but i will shut up and see what else is said before i send you all to sleep ;D
Jennis.x

In another thread, I mentioned that there is the interpreation given by some (and plausible, IMO) that 'HIS WISHES CARRIED OUT' is double-edged.  Supposedly, it has a double meaning.  The fact that Lureen qualifies it in the end by saying 'ABOUT THE ASHES I MEAN' signifies that there is most likely a second interpretation that she was sure Ennis would catch (it seemed that he didn't though).

The interpretation is that HIS WISHES signified Jack finally being with Ennis.  Hence, Lureen was sarcastically implying that by getting half of Jack's ashes from Jack's parents, Jack was finally joing Ennis, even if only in death.

Although I agree that this is only one among many interpretations, I must admit that it has internal consistency, and it is most poetic.  The bitterness of Lureen is made manifest by her slamming down the phone after she said this...

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2006, 06:25 PM »

I am sitting here watching that scene over and over and over and.... No, I can not detect any happiness in his voice or look.  He makes a simple statement to my eyes and ears.  But, that simple statement sure did mean something to Lureen. This is when she started to cry.

Interesting, because I have always felt that there was a wistfulness here that was tinged with happy memories.

He begins with 'Oh ma'am'... as if he cannot contain his mentioning all this.  He could have said it flatly and monotonically.  But that inflection at the very beginning -- to me, this is the mark of something that he felt some need to confide...

Offline Jennis

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2006, 06:29 PM »
Jennis.x

In another thread, I mentioned that there is the interpreation given by some (and plausible, IMO) that 'HIS WISHES CARRIED OUT' is double-edged.  Supposedly, it has a double meaning.  The fact that Lureen qualifies it in the end by saying 'ABOUT THE ASHES I MEAN' signifies that there is most likely a second interpretation that she was sure Ennis would catch (it seemed that he didn't though).

The interpretation is that HIS WISHES signified Jack finally being with Ennis.  Hence, Lureen was sarcastically implying that by getting half of Jack's ashes from Jack's parents, Jack was finally joing Ennis, even if only in death.

Although I agree that this is only one among many interpretations, I must admit that it has internal consistency, and it is most poetic.  The bitterness of Lureen is made manifest by her slamming down the phone after she said this...

Yes,i did wonder if it was on a thread already.You explained it clearly and it makes sense.I do see and hear the double meaning.I also thought Lureen by that stage knew about Jack's dream of the little cow and calf operation?I don't think she knew Jack had asked Ennis years previously.Again it all comes  clear to her through that one phone call,but i do wonder if Jack had asked her for a divorce as old man Twist had told Ennis about Randall,so maybe Jack made his plans clear to Lureen as well? I think she would of known about Randall in any case after Jack's death.

Jennis.x

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2006, 06:39 PM »
Yes,i did wonder if it was on a thread already.You explained it clearly and it makes sense.I do see and hear the double meaning.I also thought Lureen by that stage knew about Jack's dream of the little cow and calf operation?I don't think she knew Jack had asked Ennis years previously.Again it all comes  clear to her through that one phone call,but i do wonder if Jack had asked her for a divorce as old man Twist had told Ennis about Randall,so maybe Jack made his plans clear to Lureen as well? I think she would of known about Randall in any case after Jack's death.

Jennis.x

Yes, I agree: I don't think she knew.  But I think she had a sense there and then that Ennis was THE SPECIAL ONE.  Hence, she implicitly realized what all those tiresome fishing trips signified. 

As for the divorce, that remains a mystery.  John Twist said that that was his intention, but we shall never really know if he started the discussion with Lureen.

There is, of course, the interpretation given by some to the passage in the short story where Ennis convinces himself that it was indeed the tire iron that did Jack in.  This realization by Ennis comes immediately after John Twist tells him that Jack intended to divorce Lureen and move back.  The implication to some is that Ennis thought that Lureen had Jack killed because of the impending divorce -- and probably because of the realization (volunteered by Jack?) that her husband was sexually active with other men.  But this is not explicitly realized in the movie...

Offline Patriot1

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2006, 06:45 PM »

Interesting, because I have always felt that there was a wistfulness here that was tinged with happy memories.

He begins with 'Oh ma'am'... as if he cannot contain his mentioning all this.  He could have said it flatly and monotonically.  But that inflection at the very beginning -- to me, this is the mark of something that he felt some need to confide...

Not sure if you really think Ennis said "Oh ma'am" or if that was a typo.  Because he didn't say "Oh ma'am."  He said "No ma'am" in response to her saying, "But knowing Jack, it might be some pretend place where the bluebirds sing and there's a whiskey spring."  When Ennis goes on to say he and Jack herded sheep there he does so in a simple plain voice.

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2006, 06:50 PM »
Not sure if you really think Ennis said "Oh ma'am" or if that was a typo.  Because he didn't say "Oh ma'am."  He said "No ma'am" in response to her saying, "But knowing Jack, it might be some pretend place where the bluebirds sing and there's a whiskey spring."  When Ennis goes on to say he and Jack herded sheep there he does so in a simple plain voice.

It may be "No ma'am", Patriot1.  I have not had the courage to see the dvd in full.  And I have not checked the screenplay in a while.  But it does not matter.  It is the inflection in the voice that gives it away, to me at least.  Also, it did not sound plain to me, especially in the first part.  This becomes a matter of opinion.

Offline Jennis

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2006, 07:05 PM »

Yes, I agree: I don't think she knew.  But I think she had a sense there and then that Ennis was THE SPECIAL ONE.  Hence, she implicitly realized what all those tiresome fishing trips signified. 

As for the divorce, that remains a mystery.  John Twist said that that was his intention, but we shall never really know if he started the discussion with Lureen.

There is, of course, the interpretation given by some to the passage in the short story where Ennis convinces himself that it was indeed the tire iron that did Jack in.  This realization by Ennis comes immediately after John Twist tells him that Jack intended to divorce Lureen and move back.  The implication to some is that Ennis thought that Lureen had Jack killed because of the impending divorce -- and probably because of the realization (volunteered by Jack?) that her husband was sexually active with other men.  But this is not explicitly realized in the movie...

That's interesting.Personally it would never enter my head that it was anything to do with Lureen.I think she knew about Jack,but as for having him murdered.No,i wouldn't think that at all.

J.x

Offline Patriot1

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2006, 07:08 PM »

It may be "No ma'am", Patriot1.  I have not had the courage to see the dvd in full.  And I have not checked the screenplay in a while.  But it does not matter.  It is the inflection in the voice that gives it away, to me at least.  Also, it did not sound plain to me, especially in the first part.  This becomes a matter of opinion.

Yes, any inflection in his voice would be a matter of opinion for sure.  I see no happiness, pride or shame at all in his voice.  I just hear Ennis explain what Brokeback Mountain was...a place where he and Jack herded sheep back in 1963.  Why that explanation would make her cry I never understood.  I always thought it was then that she realized she was talking to the guy Jack would go to see 2 times a year for the past 20 years and that he loved.  And, that his love for Ennis predated her marriage to Jack.

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2006, 07:16 PM »

Yes, any inflection in his voice would be a matter of opinion for sure.  I see no happiness, pride or shame at all in his voice.  I just hear Ennis explain what Brokeback Mountain was...a place where he and Jack herded sheep back in 1963.  Why that explanation would make her cry I never understood.  I always thought it was then that she realized she was talking to the guy Jack would go to see 2 times a year for the past 20 years and that he loved.  And, that his love for Ennis predated her marriage to Jack.

I have asked for straight opinions.  And you have given me that and much more.  So who am I to quibble with you on this?  :)

Thank you.

Offline LuvJackNasty

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2006, 07:36 PM »

I never saw him as being happy- then again I am crying during this scene so I don't notice too much. I took it more as a confirmation because he says it right after Lureen says "But knowing Jack, it might be some pretend place where the bluebirds sing and there's a whiskey spring." IMO he was comfirming that Brokeback was very real. It could possibly be Ennis even defending Jack because Lureen was being facetious and there may have been some element of guilt because he too was facetious when Jack suggested that Ennis move to Texas "It'll just rain down money from LD Newsome and whiskey will flow in the streams."
“What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close, the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger."

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not the only one I hope someday you'll join us And the world will live as one ~ Imagine- J. Lennon

Offline Patriot1

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2006, 07:40 PM »
I have asked for straight opinions.  And you have given me that and much more.  So who am I to quibble with you on this?  :)

Thank you.

No, no, Thomas.  I am not suggesting either you or I am quibbling here.  This scene and the last time Ennis and Jack were together arguing were the two scenes I had the most questions about. 

Lureen said three things that I didn't understand her reason for saying them.

1) When Ennis says that is why he was calling, to find out what happened.  Lureen says, "Oh yah." What did she think he was calling about...the weather report?  Why the "Oh yah."?
2) Lureen is talking to one of Jack's friends.  Why did she feel it was necessary to tell him that Jack was only 39 years old?
3) And, why did she say, "...about the ashes I mean."?  Did Jack have other wishes that Lureen was aware of?

During the argument between Jack and Ennis, I couldn't understand how or why Jack's statement, "I did once" could or would bring on such a threatening response from Ennis about Mexico.  What, I asked myself did one have to do with the other? Just seemed like every time Jack brought up living together Ennis' reaction became more violent.  In the beginning it was, "It could be like this, just like this, always." and "I told you it ain't goin' a be like that", to "Perhaps you should move to Texas" and Ennis gets mad, to the "I did once" in the parking lot and Ennis going off on a tangent about Mexico.

Anyway Thomas. I am not intending to quibble with you. I am really trying to understand those scenes.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2006, 08:28 PM by Patriot1 »

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2006, 07:52 PM »
No, no, Thomas.  I am not suggesting either you or I am quibbling here.  This scene and the last time Ennis and Jack were together arguing were the two scenes I had the most questions about. 

1) When Ennis says that is why he was calling, to find out what happened.  Lureen says, "Oh yah." What did she think he was calling about...the weather report?  Why the "Oh yah."?
2) Lureen is talking to one of Jack's friends.  Why did she feel it was necessary t tell him that Jack was only 39 years old?
3) And, why did she say, "...about the ashes I mean."?  Did Jack have other wishes that Lureen was aware of?

During the argument between Jack and Ennis, I couldn't understand how or why Jack's statement, "I did once" could or would bring on such a threatening response from Ennis about Mexico.  What, I asked myself did one have to do with the other? Just seemed like every time Jack brought up living together Ennis' reaction became more violent.  In the beginning it was, "It could be like this, just like this, always." and "I told you it ain't goin' a be like that", to "Perhaps you should move to Texas" and Ennis gets mad, to the "I did once" in the parking lot and Ennis going off on a tangent about Mexico.

Anyway Thomas. I am not intending to quibble with you. I am really trying to understand those scenes.

Patriot1.  What I meant was that I asked for an opinion, and I cannot decide right or wrong on things that are subjective.  I certainly respect your opinions.

And I certainly did not mean the above to signal an end to the discussion. ;)

I have not carefully read your last post to do it justice, as I am on my way home :)

I shall be diligent in continuing where we left off tomorrow...

And I do thank you for engaging in a discussion!

Offline shieldmaid

• Jack
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2006, 10:15 PM »
Thanks, christie, this is a fascinating topic.  I have to admit--I looked to Lureen's reaction more than Ennis's delivery for my clues as to the "correct" (my) interpretation of this scene.  For me, as people have mentioned above, it seems that this moment sparks the first genuine emotion that she brings to the conversation.  If it's not so much of an "ah ha" moment for her, it may be that Ennis's revelation has just brought longstanding but buried suspicions about Jack's heart to the surface.  But yes--I think that Ennis for the first time admits to someone other than himself what Jack means to him.  It breaks my heart.   :'(
some open space between

Offline christie wood

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2006, 02:05 AM »
Thanks, christie, this is a fascinating topic.  I have to admit--I looked to Lureen's reaction more than Ennis's delivery for my clues as to the "correct" (my) interpretation of this scene.  For me, as people have mentioned above, it seems that this moment sparks the first genuine emotion that she brings to the conversation.  If it's not so much of an "ah ha" moment for her, it may be that Ennis's revelation has just brought longstanding but buried suspicions about Jack's heart to the surface.  But yes--I think that Ennis for the first time admits to someone other than himself what Jack means to him.  It breaks my heart.   :'(

Oh it breaks my heart too, Shieldmaid, every time.

Thanks to everyone who have brought light to this never-ending discussion so far.  It's always interesting to read other people's opinions of a scene that we have all watched over and over again, and we still get new things from it.  Amazing.  As I said in my original post, this thought about Ennis admitting for the first time what Jack mean to him only occured to me during my last viewing - and I had watched it so many times before that, and tended to see it for Lureen's reaction, rather than Ennis's reaction to Lureen's interpretation of what she thought Brokeback was.  I wasn't implying that Ennis outed himself to Lureen, but rather he openly acknowledged his love for Jack - be this sub-consciously, unintentionally or otherwise - but, to me, that is what he does.

And tpe, I have to agree with you about your thought that the mention of Brokeback brought back happy memories for Ennis - and the sound of his voice slightly changed when he told Lureen about Brokeback.  He obviously wasn't jumping for joy, he was heartbroken and devastated after all, but just being able to openly say "we herded sheep.....", that "we" - me and Jack - is Ennis being able to talk about "his" Jack in the way that Jack had always wanted him to.

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2006, 06:52 AM »
Thanks also Christie for starting this thread.  I find this wholse scene the most enigmatic in the whole movie because it seems to raise more questions when we try to provide answers. 

Patriot1 raised most interesting questions in his last post.  Some of these questions highlight this enigmatic quality that is so central to the understanding of jack's demise.  I shall give my 2 cents worth as to these questions, and I hope others would join in in order to have a broader picture of this scene that we are now discussing.

This is an interesting question to me.  I had always thought that this was a verbal indication that Lureen had to intentionally shift mental gears regarding the circumstances surrounding Jack's death.  She knew the 'truth' about Jack's death, and most probably the reason why he got killed.  Her first reaction to Ennis's question about what happened was probably to tell things as is -- but she made an effort to bring her mind to dissemble the truth.  She had a set response for those who inquired about Jack's death, and she always had to shift mental gears to replace the actual truth with a tidy story that hid the uncomfortable reality surrounding Jack's death.

2) Lureen is talking to one of Jack's friends.  Why did she feel it was necessary to tell him that Jack was only 39 years old?

IMO, she was was used to reciting the whole tidy story about Jack's death like a eulogy -- especially those who did not know Jack that well.  THis to me is another indication that she reverted to telling the tidy story about Jack's death BY ROTE.  IT was her standard spiel!

As I mentioned to Jennis in one of the above posts, I am sympathetic to one interpretation that sees this statement as double-edged.  Correct or not, I do find it plausible that the second intended meaning was for Jack to finally be with Ennis in death.

To me, "I did once" was interpreted by Ennis as a recrimination or accusation by Jack that Ennis was completely responsible for the current unsatisfactory state because he long ago rejected Jack's proposal to have a shared life together.  "I did once", to me, points back to that beautiful scene long ago that starts with Jack asking Ennis if he sees anything up there in heaven.  The juxtaposition of the current state with their previous happiness was too much for Ennis.  I think this was an attempt to give flesh to Proulx's reference in the short story to unsaid things that now were spoken out in the open.  With this open recrimination from Jack, Ennis felt he had to respond in kind.  Hence, the Mexico spiel...

These are indeed fascinating questions that revolve around the ambiguity of the entire scene surrounding Ennis admission: "We herded sheep up on Brokeback one summer".  So much richness.  This is just my own take.   Do feel free to provide your own.  In a sense, many of these points are not OOT, since they all illuminate the current topic, as well as one another...

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
  • There will never be another Heath
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2006, 07:06 AM »
This scene and the last time Ennis and Jack were together arguing were the two scenes I had the most questions about. 

Good points Patriot, they made me wonder too... here's my 2 cents:
1) regarding Lureen's "oh yah" - personally, I believe that Jack was murdered and the whole accident story was just a cover, probably because Lureen and her family didn't want people to know the real reason. When she gave the details to Ennis I felt like there was something technical and monotonic in her voice, like she was going through a paragraph she had memorized by heart... so I interpreted this "oh yah", said with a little sigh, as something like "oh yeah, time to go through the cover again..." just my take.
(EDIT: tpe, I only got to read your response after I posted mine, and now I see that we got the same impression from that line!  ;))
2) why would she mention Jack was 39 - you're right, it doesn't make any sense, his friends should know how old he was. I think this is the point where the filmmakers wanted the audience to know how old Jack was, to give the viewers the time-frame, so they just had Lureen say that and maybe they didn't realize themselves that it wasn't making much sense.
3)"about the ashes, I mean" - again, it leaves me puzzled too. I'm not sure why Lureen sees a need to clarify this point to Ennis. as for other wishes, the only wish Jack had IMO was to be united with Ennis, I don't know if Lureen has realized that by this point but if she did, maybe that was the other wish she was implying to?...

Now, as for Ennis's reactions to Jack's statements. While I was reading what you wrote, it hit me that you actually gave the answer to this one yourself, and allow me to quote you: "Just seemed like every time Jack brought up living together Ennis' reaction became more violent".  Ennis was a homophobe, he had internalized this homophobia since childhood. And he had that terrible, traumatic memory of Earl in the irrigation ditch. He knew what happens to two guys who're living together. He had also tried to believe that he wasn't queer, and he could never accept that part in himself that loved a man. for him it was "this thing" that grabs hold of him, he never called it love (at least not while Jack was still alive), he just couldn't handle that thought. Whenever Jack brings up the subject of living together, it touches Ennis in a very sensitive spot: first, if they were to live together, then it's much more than just "this thing". that would make them like Earl and Rich, and he knew they were queers. He can't handle that. second, it reminds him of his childhood trauma and what happens to guys who choose to live together, and this is his biggest fear. therefore, since this subject is so sensitive and loaded to him, whenever Jack brings it up Ennis feels uncomfortable and it brings out the violence in him.
When Jack says "I once had", it just brings it all up. the "better idea" that Jack once had was to live together, Ennis knows that. it brings up all the fears, all the internalized homophobia. Jack wanted to live with him because he loves him, because Jack is gay, but Ennis can't deal with this thought, because what does it say about him? It's a trigger and again, the violence comes out.

I hope I managed to explain myself...
« Last Edit: May 05, 2006, 07:22 AM by keren_b »
The truth is... sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it.

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2006, 08:32 AM »
Thanks keren_b.  Great post!  And it is good to agree on something independently like this.  It sort of reinforces our impressions.  :)

Offline filazahies

• Jack
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2006, 11:06 AM »
It's been really interesting for me to read all the posts in this thread. It's true that this scene is very enigmatic and it's very open to different interpretations. It's a long time since I saw the movie for the last time, and I still haven't got the DVD so I'm going to tell you my opinion based on what I remember (so I may be wrong) and also on some of the opinions I've already read here.
I believe that Lureeen realises what Ennis really meant to Jack when she explains that Jack wanted his ashes to be spread at Brokeback "but knowing Jack, it might be some pretend place where the bluebirds sing and there's a whiskey spring", in spite of saying that, she knew that this was a special place for him, but why?( it's obvious that Jack had talked to her about Brokeback because she knew about it, but she new nothing about it!!) and here comes Ennis, "the fishing buddy" she has heard of along this last 20 years, and says: "we herded sheep up in Brokeback one summer". At that moment Lureen realises the real nature of Jack and Ennis' "friendship". A place doesn't become special for you just because you herd sheep. It's then when she understands all the fishing trips and the long hours driving up to Wyoming.

I agree with tpe and keren_b in the fact that the story of the accident was just a cover. Jack was killed and Lureen and his family made up that story to explain his death. That's why Lureen's face becomes so livid when she finds out who really Ennis is, i.e., Jack's true love, the reason why his marriage is almost over (we are not sure up to which point Jack and Lureen talked about divorcing), and a confirmation of Jack's sexual tendencies which, IMO, had already been discovered and were the real cause of his death.

:-\ I hope you'll understand what I want to express, I'm sorry but it's difficult to express my thoughts in English...

Offline Jennis

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2006, 11:32 AM »
Just to add on.The moment Lureen slams that phone down,Ennis is shaken to the core.I think he realises what he has just said and that Lureen has pieced it all together.As regards the wishes.I still think it's ambiguous and this is what Annie intended.It obviously worked, as here we all are discussing every second of one amazing film.
Jennis.x

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2006, 01:36 PM »
:-\ I hope you'll understand what I want to express, I'm sorry but it's difficult to express my thoughts in English...

You said it beautifully.  Thanks, filazahies.