Author Topic: "Why 'Brokeback Mountain' Frightens"  (Read 19626 times)

Offline XWing

• Alma Jr.
"Why 'Brokeback Mountain' Frightens"
« on: Jan 10, 2006, 11:50 PM »
From today's Chicago Tribune. Interesting comments about why some people might be uncomfortable with BBM.

=======================================

Why "Brokeback Mountain" frightens

Leonard Pitts, a syndicated columnist based in Washington: Tribune Media Services

January 10, 2006

I went to see "Brokeback Mountain" recently, mainly to prove to myself that I could.

This was after reading a New York Times piece by Larry David of "Seinfeld" and "Curb Your Enthusiasm" fame in which he wrote that, though he loves gay people and supports both gay marriage and gay divorce, he does not plan to see this critically praised movie about gay cowboys. David said he's discomfited by the idea of watching two men fall in love and fears it might make him gay by osmosis.

"Not," he added, "that there's anything wrong with that."

It strikes me that David's essay amounted to the smiley-face liberal version of what is being said more bluntly in conservative circles. "Gay love story carries a high `ick' factor" reads the headline of a story on the American Family Association Web site. It quotes a prediction that people will leave the theater vomiting.

How asinine, I think.

Yeah, says a little voice in my head, but if that's how you feel, why haven't you been to "Brokeback Mountain?"

Well, I protest, right now I'm teaching in this tiny college town in the middle of nowhere. I'd have to drive 90 miles.

Good point, says the voice. But didn't you drive that far to see "Good Night, and Good Luck"?

Now look, I say, and suddenly there's this wheedling tone to my voice, some of my best friends are gay. Heck, my own brother's gay. But you know, we are talking about a love story between two guys, and they might be kissing and, you know, touching and ... stuff.

The little voice falls silent. It is a put-your-money-where-your-mouth-is silence.

So I went to see "Brokeback." And I can report that it was as shattering and powerful as advertised. People were moved. Nobody threw up.

Which brings me back to that ick factor.

I find myself wondering if this primeval revulsion doesn't speak less to our antipathy toward homosexuality than to our fears about masculinity. I mean, while a movie about two women in love would surely be controversial, I doubt it would present the visceral threat "Brokeback Mountain" does for some of us. I doubt Larry David would be scared to see it.

Indeed, the idea of women who can't keep their hands off each other is a staple of so-called men's entertainment. Visit a magazine stand if you don't believe me. In the '80s, it seemed as if every Prince video had band members Lisa and Wendy groping each other.

Point being, when it's women, we--meaning straight men--tend to find it titillating, exotic, arousing in its very forbiddance. When it's men, we--meaning straight men and women--tend to react as if somebody dropped a snake in the bed. Small wonder the FBI reports that while 902 men were reported victims of sexual orientation hate crimes in 2004, only 212 women were.

We seem prone to find male homosexuality the more clear and present danger, the more urgent betrayal of some fundamental ... something. Some will say it's--and I will finesse this for a general audience--the nature of man-to-man sex some of us find off-putting. I think it's more basic than that. I think gay men threaten our very conception of masculinity.

The amazing thing about "Brokeback Mountain" is its willingness to make that threat, directly and overtly. These are not cute gays, funny gays, "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" gays. These are "cowboys," and there is no figure in American lore more iconically male. Think Clint Eastwood, John Wayne, the Marlboro Man. The cowboy is our very embodiment of male virtues.

In offering us cowboys who are gay, then, "Brokeback Mountain" commits heresy, but it is knowing heresy, matter-of-fact heresy. Nor is it the sex (what little there is) that makes it heretical. Rather, it's the emotion, the fact that the movie dares you to deny these men their humanity. Or their love.

Ultimately, I think, that's what the Larry Davids among us sense. And why for them, "Brokeback Mountain" might be the most frightening movie ever made.

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
Re: "Why 'Brokeback Mountain' Frightens"
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2006, 11:56 PM »
Frightening!  No! An open minder Masterpiece!  Thanks Ang Lee.
La dictature c'est ''ferme ta geule'', la démocratie c'est ''cause toujours''
 Jean-Louis Barrault

JerBear418720

« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2006, 07:19 PM »
Speaking of the "ick factor", I'm sorry, but I think that Larry David would be absolutely safe at any gay gathering.  ;)

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
  • No longer using this account: frog123
« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 2006, 08:10 PM »
Frightening!  No! An open minder Masterpiece!  Thanks Ang Lee.

hear hear!
Support bacteria, they are the only culture some people have!

If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I.
~ Michel Eyquem de Montaigne (1533-1592) ~ (Thankx to gimmejack)

Offline Cowboy Cody

• Jack + Ennis
  • Here I IS!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2006, 04:00 PM »
Speaking of the "ick factor", I'm sorry, but I think that Larry David would be absolutely safe at any gay gathering.  ;)

More than safe, he could be a poster child for abstinence.
You were goin' up there to go fishin'....NO SHIT! GIMME SEX!

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #5 on: Feb 06, 2006, 05:51 PM »

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline Apollonos

• Lureen
« Reply #6 on: Feb 06, 2006, 11:40 PM »

Shhh! Don't give them any ideas!

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #7 on: Feb 06, 2006, 11:56 PM »
I stand to what I wrote before.

It frightens because it's a minder opener.

"they" cannot do anything against it.

The sun is shining on our planet  :D

Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline The Ultimate Otaku

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 2006, 01:41 AM »
Very interesting post. Some wonderful points were...pointed out.  :)

I really like how you bring into the light the fact that, while some people, like Larry whatsisname, may say that "I'm not against gays" they still get utterly squeamish when BBM is even mentioned (or anything relating to gays, like gay marraige or kissing or something). It is ridiculous to say "I'm not against it" and "I'm comfortable with it," when one obviously ISN'T and gets squeamish (aka uncomfortable).

Such hypocrisy should be stopped. Larry whatsisname should be dragged to see BBM.

And yes, cowboys are considered very masculine, which is why BBM really stretches some people—these aren't silly gays, or dressed-in-drag gays, or "Queer Eye" or "Will and Grace" gays, these are COWBOYS. BBM makes a statement about the beauty of love, no matter who the love is shared between. People should look past their personal issues with BBM and just GO. SEE. THE. MOVIE! It's worth your money, and you'll realize that all the complaining you made on the way to see it was a waste of time, because it's a lovely movie!
BBM rocks my socks!   :3

Offline CherryCake

• Jack
  • You want a piece of me? YOU WANT A PIECE OF ME??!!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 07, 2006, 01:49 AM »
And yes, cowboys are considered very masculine, which is why BBM really stretches some people—these aren't silly gays, or dressed-in-drag gays, or "Queer Eye" or "Will and Grace" gays, these are COWBOYS. BBM makes a statement about the beauty of love, no matter who the love is shared between. People should look past their personal issues with BBM and just GO. SEE. THE. MOVIE! It's worth your money, and you'll realize that all the complaining you made on the way to see it was a waste of time, because it's a lovely movie!

Yeeeesh. It seems like some people have never met a masculine gay man.
Great movie.
"Want some coffee, don't you? Piece a cherry cake?"

Hit me up on Yahoo: PieceOfCherryCake

Offline orangetruck

• Justin +
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Following Jack's happy trail is a trip.
« Reply #10 on: Oct 31, 2008, 07:34 AM »
 :t) Xwing

Terrific article, Leo!   &**)  %&)  :c)  $)  :cr)

"Cor cordium" - Oliver from Call Me By Your Name, a novel by Andre Aciman.

Offline smartestsonia

• Ennis
  • BROKIE FOREVER AND EVER
« Reply #11 on: Nov 02, 2008, 07:04 AM »

I really like how you bring into the light the fact that, while some people, like Larry whatsisname, may say that "I'm not against gays" they still get utterly squeamish when BBM is even mentioned (or anything relating to gays, like gay marraige or kissing or something). It is ridiculous to say "I'm not against it" and "I'm comfortable with it," when one obviously ISN'T and gets squeamish (aka uncomfortable).

Such hypocrisy should be stopped. Larry whatsisname should be dragged to see BBM.

Well said ^f^
I think people have a very wrong impression about gays..they think that they speak like females or have a wierd walk. This is so untrue..They can be very masculine..I think the media is kinda to be blamed for this wrong perception especially in Asian countires..I am saying this from personal experience as I belong to Asia...The media there is just trying to make the audience feel that Gays r very peculiar..Apart from the media I think people must use their own minds and see what is right and wrong rather than blocking themselves from the reality...I get angry when I see that because it is so not true,.,they r as normal as anyone else and can be dam masculine..BBM is a clear example of it and we also see in day to day life that they r very masculine and its a personal choice and feeling as to who one chooses to love and spend his life with.,..Every human being has that right... I think post brokeback mountain, peoples perception (atleast a section of people) has become more broader and human to be more precise...

BlueMountain

« Reply #12 on: Nov 02, 2008, 01:44 PM »
*sigh* Jack and Ennis suffred from their cruel society with their misconceptions about love...
Many people still get hurt and even... Killed. Just for loving someone of their own gender. How can humans be more civilized than animals when innocent children and adults are being murdered for no good reaosn? Becasue they are just a bit diffrent?

Now you tell me,
What is the diffenrce between their times and ours?

Nothing.

:\'( :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'(

Offline smartestsonia

• Ennis
« Reply #13 on: Nov 03, 2008, 07:05 AM »
*sigh* Jack and Ennis suffred from their cruel society with their misconceptions about love...
Many people still get hurt and even... Killed. Just for loving someone of their own gender. How can humans be more civilized than animals when innocent children and adults are being murdered for no good reaosn? Becasue they are just a bit diffrent?

Now you tell me,
What is the diffenrce between their times and ours?

Nothing.

:\'( :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'(
Interesting question Blue Mountain. I was thinking about it...

I think that narrow minded people who just cant accept pure between 2 people irrespective to gender r there in their times and in our times. Mentality of people is in their hands. I think that everybody has a mind of their own to decide as to what is right and wrong.

I feel that our times r making progress in many parts of the world.. In so many countries gay marriages r legal which is a great progress...Although I feel in our place there is long way to go. Am sure like me, even u have noticed that too in Dubai.....People just r scared here for rejection and isolation..2 people in love of the same gender have to project themselves as just friends so that their families don’t throw them out or they r not arrested by police or they r not made cruel fun of..Its is really sad but the truth...

I feel that u will find such narrow minded people everywhere …Although they r certain places where the political and social system supports their attitude. So, anyone who challenges it is considered a misfit in the society. There r certain societies in the world which give a lot of importance to social setup, social conditioning. It a collective culture and they primarily live to stand high in the Society…So, if the society has drawn such strict rules and not abiding by them can either cause social or physical torture.. People want to save themselves from it. This is the main problem.. So the start has to come from both ends..I mean people have to learn to see that there is nothing wrong in 2 people being love and it is a force of nature and not against nature.. On the other hands, the society also has to be more open minded and be more understanding…

I think this reformation is a gradual process and I am hopeful and positive that things will be better in time. What we can do from our side is to make such narrow minded people to broaden their horizon and see that it is very normal to be in love with anyone.. It is love.. What is so scary and weird about it???

BlueMountain

« Reply #14 on: Nov 03, 2008, 07:32 AM »
Interesting question Blue Mountain. I was thinking about it...

I think that narrow minded people who just cant accept pure between 2 people irrespective to gender r there in their times and in our times. Mentality of people is in their hands. I think that everybody has a mind of their own to decide as to what is right and wrong.

I feel that our times r making progress in many parts of the world.. In so many countries gay marriages r legal which is a great progress...Although I feel in our place there is long way to go. Am sure like me, even u have noticed that too in Dubai.....People just r scared here for rejection and isolation..2 people in love of the same gender have to project themselves as just friends so that their families don’t throw them out or they r not arrested by police or they r not made cruel fun of..Its is really sad but the truth...

I feel that u will find such narrow minded people everywhere …Although they r certain places where the political and social system supports their attitude. So, anyone who challenges it is considered a misfit in the society. There r certain societies in the world which give a lot of importance to social setup, social conditioning. It a collective culture and they primarily live to stand high in the Society…So, if the society has drawn such strict rules and not abiding by them can either cause social or physical torture.. People want to save themselves from it. This is the main problem.. So the start has to come from both ends..I mean people have to learn to see that there is nothing wrong in 2 people being love and it is a force of nature and not against nature.. On the other hands, the society also has to be more open minded and be more understanding…

I think this reformation is a gradual process and I am hopeful and positive that things will be better in time. What we can do from our side is to make such narrow minded people to broaden their horizon and see that it is very normal to be in love with anyone.. It is love.. What is so scary and weird about it???

:\'( I agree with you 100%...
I lost faith in people... I dont think they will EVER accept diffrences and simple things like that...

Offline smartestsonia

• Ennis
« Reply #15 on: Nov 03, 2008, 08:20 AM »
:\'( I agree with you 100%...
I lost faith in people... I dont think they will EVER accept diffrences and simple things like that...

I know how u feel…Inspite of all that we see around lets still be positive...…Hope is what keeps the world going…I personally don’t know any people here in Dubai who r facing this problem….I am personally straight and I don’t really have friends who r gay ….However, I know that Dubai is not a very gay friendly place… I have seen a lot of articles online and so am aware.. It will take time and will definitely happen some day. People r gradually understanding this fact but it will take time…such changes in attitude unfortunately cant happen overnight.…Well as humans we can just do our share of what is right and things hopefully can fall in place…

BlueMountain

« Reply #16 on: Nov 03, 2008, 09:28 AM »
I know how u feel…Inspite of all that we see around lets still be positive...…Hope is what keeps the world going…I personally don’t know any people here in Dubai who r facing this problem….I am personally straight and I don’t really have friends who r gay ….However, I know that Dubai is not a very gay friendly place… I have seen a lot of articles online and so am aware.. It will take time and will definitely happen some day. People r gradually understanding this fact but it will take time…such changes in attitude unfortunately cant happen overnight.…Well as humans we can just do our share of what is right and things hopefully can fall in place…

What were the articles about? Hopefully not violence!  :(

Offline smartestsonia

• Ennis
« Reply #17 on: Nov 04, 2008, 07:55 AM »
What were the articles about? Hopefully not violence!  :(
I have read certain articles online. In 2005 people were arrested for Homosexual wedding were given forced hormone treatment and Psychological therapy. The Article is below link.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10218234/

Then there is this other incident in the below link.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/07/17/dubai-detainsforeigners_n_113443.html

As u must be knowing that Homosexulaity is officially illegal in Dubai..It cannot be admitted openly here as people can be jailed or detained from the country..
I am sorry as I know that the Articles can be very disturbing and inhuman but I just wanted to make u more aware…
Have u come across or have any idea about such incidents in Dubai ?

Offline lancecowboy

• Jack + Ennis
  • free to be, Always
« Reply #18 on: Nov 04, 2008, 10:56 AM »
I have read certain articles online. In 2005 people were arrested for Homosexual wedding were given forced hormone treatment and Psychological therapy. The Article is below link.

As u must be knowing that Homosexulaity is officially illegal in Dubai..It cannot be admitted openly here as people can be jailed or detained from the country..
I am sorry as I know that the Articles can be very disturbing and inhuman but I just wanted to make u more aware…

It's difficult to imagine Dubai, with it's intention to become an international center of commerce and business, would treat even foreigners this way. I can understand religious objections, and it's another example of the need for separation of church and state. When theologians are in charge of legislation, disagreements are not settled by ballots but bullets. The long wars in the European Middle Ages should have taught us that.

Heath, you are loved, like this, always.

BlueMountain

« Reply #19 on: Nov 04, 2008, 12:48 PM »

Those were hard to read...

I have seriously lost faith in humanity.  >:(

Life is not worth living anymore! :\'(

Offline lancecowboy

• Jack + Ennis
  • free to be, Always
« Reply #20 on: Nov 04, 2008, 01:01 PM »

:ghug: BlueMountain  :ghug: There are times when faith in all we have, that humanity will change, eventually. We have come a long way, and no matter how much farther there is to go, we don't travel the journey alone. It is why having a place like here, is so important.  :ghug:

BlueMountain

« Reply #21 on: Nov 04, 2008, 01:06 PM »
:ghug: BlueMountain  :ghug: There are times when faith in all we have, that humanity will change, eventually. We have come a long way, and no matter how much farther there is to go, we don't travel the journey alone. It is why having a place like here, is so important.  :ghug:

:ghug: Thankyou, Lance :ghug: I suppose your right... Times will change... Eventuallly!  <^(
And I'm so happy we DO have a place to be who we are without anyone dehumanising anyone else... Which is right here!  :)
 :cr) ^f^ :c) :f) :clap:

Offline lancecowboy

• Jack + Ennis
  • free to be, Always
« Reply #22 on: Nov 04, 2008, 01:36 PM »
:ghug: Thankyou, Lance :ghug: I suppose your right... Times will change... Eventuallly!  <^(
And I'm so happy we DO have a place to be who we are without anyone dehumanising anyone else... Which is right here!  :)
 :cr) ^f^ :c) :f) :clap:

You are  #$# BlueMountain  :ghug: I am glad you are here.  :c)

BlueMountain

« Reply #23 on: Nov 04, 2008, 01:55 PM »
You are  #$# BlueMountain  :ghug: I am glad you are here.  :c)

I'm glad to be here.  :)
 :ghug:

Offline smartestsonia

• Ennis
« Reply #24 on: Nov 05, 2008, 07:11 AM »
It's difficult to imagine Dubai, with it's intention to become an international center of commerce and business, would treat even foreigners this way. I can understand religious objections, and it's another example of the need for separation of church and state. When theologians are in charge of legislation, disagreements are not settled by ballots but bullets. The long wars in the European Middle Ages should have taught us that.

I can understand u and agree with u Lancecowboy..Dubai is technologically and economically prosperous. Trust me, in general, with regards to Education, employment, visa etc citizens and expatriates have a lot of rights here. However, it is very strict about religious issue and it does mix-up religion and state…When there is Democracy it’s more easy to get such changes. However, in Monarchy where the rules r made by the king and r flexible to his Discreation is a completely different scene. Although being a positive person I hope and pray that  people will be perceived on Humanity grounds and a more broad minded approach will be considered here to respect people as they r and not to degrade or look down upon anyone based on sexual orientation…

Offline smartestsonia

• Ennis
« Reply #25 on: Nov 05, 2008, 07:24 AM »

Hold on Blue Mountain…We all understand each other …we r a Brokie family and r there for each other. :ghug:

This discrimination is happening a lot everywhere …However, there r still good people in this world and that is why this world is still surviving else the world would have been destroyed long time back…

Well we can do is try to help change peoples mentality in our surrounding and make them see things from a broader perspective….Cheer up and see in time things will be better :)

Offline lancecowboy

• Jack + Ennis
  • free to be, Always
« Reply #26 on: Nov 05, 2008, 10:10 AM »
I can understand u and agree with u Lancecowboy..Dubai is technologically and economically prosperous. Trust me, in general, with regards to Education, employment, visa etc citizens and expatriates have a lot of rights here. However, it is very strict about religious issue and it does mix-up religion and state…When there is Democracy it’s more easy to get such changes. However, in Monarchy where the rules r made by the king and r flexible to his Discreation is a completely different scene. Although being a positive person I hope and pray that  people will be perceived on Humanity grounds and a more broad minded approach will be considered here to respect people as they r and not to degrade or look down upon anyone based on sexual orientation…

I am positive and optimistic, too, that one day, the rulers of Dubai and other nations in the world, will follow a new tradition, that the West and many developed nations of the world have been adopting, to varying degree of success. That tradition began with the Magna Carta, the rule of law. As you said, when the laws are at the discretion of personal will, there is little stability and trust among the people. Personal reactions to different subjects, such as Brokeback Mountain (to bring us back to topic) becomes the rule for the nation. A constitution is the foundation of the rule of law, where reasoned and thoughtful consideration become enshrined for all posterity. That is a foundation that is stable enough to build a civil, prosperous society, not one that shifts with the wind of change of whim. JMHO.

BlueMountain

« Reply #27 on: Nov 05, 2008, 10:21 AM »
Hold on Blue Mountain…We all understand each other …we r a Brokie family and r there for each other. :ghug:

This discrimination is happening a lot everywhere …However, there r still good people in this world and that is why this world is still surviving else the world would have been destroyed long time back…

Well we can do is try to help change peoples mentality in our surrounding and make them see things from a broader perspective….Cheer up and see in time things will be better :)

:) Yup

I am positive and optimistic, too, that one day, the rulers of Dubai and other nations in the world, will follow a new tradition, that the West and many developed nations of the world have been adopting, to varying degree of success. That tradition began with the Magna Carta, the rule of law. As you said, when the laws are at the discretion of personal will, there is little stability and trust among the people. Personal reactions to different subjects, such as Brokeback Mountain (to bring us back to topic) becomes the rule for the nation. A constitution is the foundation of the rule of law, where reasoned and thoughtful consideration become enshrined for all posterity. That is a foundation that is stable enough to build a civil, prosperous society, not one that shifts with the wind of change of whim. JMHO.

I agree. $f$

Offline smartestsonia

• Ennis
« Reply #28 on: Nov 06, 2008, 07:55 AM »
Am glad to know that u r positive too to see a better future….I think that’s how civilization takes place…I think that when the middle east will see the other countries of the world progressing and seeing things from a broader perspective they will realize that it is not wrong. I think Media can play a very important role in bringing this change…Internet is a better source as sometimes newspapers can be curtailed but internet can really make one feel like a free mind and the internet can bring more awareness…

Brokeback mountain dint even get released in Dubai for the people here to actually realize what a masterpiece it is. Thanks to the internet I was able to watch the film online…

The one thing that really annoys me with the media in many countries is that they give a very wrong impression about gays...I mean they will be like they speak differently and live differently....But it is such a crap and so untrue..I mean why spoil the minds of people and make humor out of such a sensitive issue…This needs to be changed at an alarming rate…Brokeback Mounatin frightens people as it challenges the laws made in the past....I think that Media and State r the 2 major forces that can bring a change...When the awareness of people will increase as well as the reformation of many countries, the Middle East and also other countries who r not accepting this will have a more open minded opinion…lets hope for the best…

Offline smartestsonia

• Ennis
« Reply #29 on: Nov 06, 2008, 07:55 AM »
:) Yup

I agree. $f$

Glad to know that u r feeling better :)