Author Topic: News Coverage: June 2006  (Read 25875 times)

Offline Jennis

• Jack + Ennis
Re: News Coverage: June 2006
« Reply #30 on: Jun 12, 2006, 02:38 PM »
     That is beautiful. Thanks, Jennis.
You are most welcome.I thought it was heartfelt,not many words,but not many are always needed.It just about said how i feel.I love it too.
Jennis.x

Offline Jennis

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #31 on: Jun 15, 2006, 04:41 PM »
U.K.Cinema Viewing *Somerset*

ANG Lee's triple Oscar winning film Brokeback Mountain is being shown at The Playhouse, Weston, on June 19 by Weston Film Society.

The film stars Jake Gyllenhaal, Heath Ledger, Anne Hathaway and Randy Quaid and sees two farmhands forming a bond that develops into a sexual relationship.

However, once the job they are hired for finishes they return to their ordinary lives but the physical attraction remains and haunts them over the next two decades.

Both enter into halfhearted marriages and have children and take dead end jobs but the memory of their time in the mountains remains.

Screenings will be at 2.30pm and 7.30pm. Tickets will be priced £2.50 for the matinee and £3.50 for the evening.

http://www.thewestonmercury.co.uk/content/twm/whatson/story.aspx?brand=Westonmercury&category=whatsonCinema&tBrand=westonmercury&tCategory=zwhatson&itemid=WeED15%20Jun%202006%2009%3A47%3A29%3A840

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #32 on: Jun 16, 2006, 06:55 AM »
U.K.Cinema Viewing *Somerset*

ANG Lee's triple Oscar winning film Brokeback Mountain is being shown at The Playhouse, Weston, on June 19 by Weston Film Society.

The film stars Jake Gyllenhaal, Heath Ledger, Anne Hathaway and Randy Quaid and sees two farmhands forming a bond that develops into a sexual relationship.

However, once the job they are hired for finishes they return to their ordinary lives but the physical attraction remains and haunts them over the next two decades.

Both enter into halfhearted marriages and have children and take dead end jobs but the memory of their time in the mountains remains.

Screenings will be at 2.30pm and 7.30pm. Tickets will be priced £2.50 for the matinee and £3.50 for the evening.

http://www.thewestonmercury.co.uk/content/twm/whatson/story.aspx?brand=Westonmercury&category=whatsonCinema&tBrand=westonmercury&tCategory=zwhatson&itemid=WeED15%20Jun%202006%2009%3A47%3A29%3A840

It is great to know that the film is till being shown in different places around the world so soon after its run at the theatres...

Thanks Jennis.  :)

Offline Jennis

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #33 on: Jun 16, 2006, 07:17 AM »
tpe said...
It is great to know that the film is till being shown in different places around the world so soon after its run at the theatres...

Yes it is :)...It's still showing in London.I really had the urge to see it on the big screen again a few days ago but it's too hot to be inside cinemas at the moment.I hope it will stay as long as possible and show up for special screenings every now and again :)
J.x

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #34 on: Jun 16, 2006, 07:41 AM »
tpe said...

Yes it is :)...It's still showing in London.I really had the urge to see it on the big screen again a few days ago but it's too hot to be inside cinemas at the moment.I hope it will stay as long as possible and show up for special screenings every now and again :)
J.x

I hope you do see it again Jennis.  Regular movie houses here in Chicago are as cold as Antarctica.  I dread that, even in the hottest summers! :)  I wish my neighborhood theatre would show BBM again...

Offline ennisandjack

• Alma
« Reply #35 on: Jun 16, 2006, 03:52 PM »
Thanks Jennis for the articles. Its great all these BBM events continue to be held. Here's one more  :)

'Brokeback Mountain' theme of gay parade 

http://www.freenewmexican.com/news/45112.html

Javier Barraza, from Santa Fe, dances on top of the Sin Fronteras float on their way to the Plaza during the Gay Pride parade on Saturday afternoon(2005). 

By NATALIE STOREY | The New Mexican
June 16, 2006

The Santa Fe gay community won’t quit Brokeback Mountain.

In the spirit of Ennis del Mar and Jack Twist, the rugged cowboys who fall in love in the movie Brokeback Mountain, this year’s Pride on the Plaza festival will celebrate gay cowboys. The annual parade, which will be held June 24, has Brokeback as its theme. Among the floats will be members of the Gay Rodeo Association and their horses, which will have a gay rodeo clown/pooper scooper following them.

“It is a really important movie,” said Donald Stout, an organizer of Pride on the Plaza, Santa Fe’s annual celebration of the gay and lesbian community being held this week and next. “I think most people in the gay community felt that way about it. It busted apart a lot of stereotypes.”

The massive public dialogue that followed the movie has come to be called, The Brokeback Effect. Brokeback has spurred a number of trends from an increase in popularity of Western wear among gay men to popular jokes and even to an adjective used to describe something of questionable masculinity. A party, for example, that has too many men and too few women might now be described as “totally Brokeback.” Some people attribute the Willie Nelson song, Cowboys Are Frequently, Secretly Fond of Each Other to the popularity of the movie.

Brokeback Mountain, which came out in 2005 and is based on a short story by E. Annie Proulx, won four Golden Globes and three Oscars.

The movie’s most important effect will be its challenge of stereotypes on both sides, said Jeff Lowe, who runs New Mexico’s gay rodeo, called the Zia Regional Rodeo, which will be held Aug. 17-20 in Albuquerque.

Not only do Jack and Ennis defy the popular icon of the Western cowboy, but they also cease to be flamboyantly gay, which, to many people, is the standard for what it means to be a gay man, Lowe said. “The old adage, don’t judge a book by its cover, really applies here,” he said.

Many of the Gay Rodeo Association’s members will be in Santa Fe next weekend to show off their stuff in the parade. The association celebrates its 20th anniversary this year.

Pride on the Plaza is hoping to capitalize on that. Plus, Stout said, every gay man loves a good looking cowboy.

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #36 on: Jun 16, 2006, 04:47 PM »

I would expect a lot of the other pride parades worldwide would have a lot of BBM references.  I think this is fitting.

Thanks ennisandjack:)

Offline frances

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #37 on: Jun 17, 2006, 02:54 AM »
'Brokeback Mountain' is nominated in the drama trailer category, and in other categories, in the 35th annual Key Arts Awards. The awards, which honors the marketing folks who lure movie audiences through posters, trailers and advertising, will be presented Friday, June 16 in Hollywood.

More information and a complete list of nominees here :

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/keyarts/ad_opps.jsp?vnu_content_id=1002689951

« Last Edit: Jun 17, 2006, 01:13 PM by frances »
My candle burns at both ends / It will not last the night / But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends / It gives a lovely light (Edna St. Vincent Millay)

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #38 on: Jun 17, 2006, 05:57 PM »
Thanks for the info, frances.  I guess the BBM poster did not make the cut because it was admitted openly that it derived from the Titanic poster design...

Offline carlton5

• Lureen
« Reply #39 on: Jun 17, 2006, 07:31 PM »
Looks like BBM didnt win any of the awards -Should have known- the awards were presented in Hollywood-and we all know Hollywood shuns BBM as often as it can- Those A** Wipes!!!

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #40 on: Jun 17, 2006, 07:54 PM »
Looks like BBM didnt win any of the awards -Should have known- the awards were presented in Hollywood-and we all know Hollywood shuns BBM as often as it can- Those A** Wipes!!!

If the unmentionable wins again, then to Hell with them all.  ;)

Offline carlton5

• Lureen
« Reply #41 on: Jun 17, 2006, 08:32 PM »
I think Syriana won in the BBM trailer category- Am sure it was  just a vote for George Clooney- Am I the only one that is totally sick and tired of him???

Offline frances

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #42 on: Jun 18, 2006, 12:08 PM »

Shirts worn by actors Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal in "Brokeback Mountain" are on display during the unveiling of the new exhibit "Idols of Gay Hollywood" at The Hollywood Museum on June 8, 2006 in Hollywood, California

My candle burns at both ends / It will not last the night / But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends / It gives a lovely light (Edna St. Vincent Millay)

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #43 on: Jun 18, 2006, 04:07 PM »

Shirts worn by actors Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal in "Brokeback Mountain" are on display during the unveiling of the new exhibit "Idols of Gay Hollywood" at The Hollywood Museum on June 8, 2006 in Hollywood, California

Hello frances.  Is there any mention of their jackets?  Jennis and myself are trying to trace the whereabouts of Jack's jacket...  :)

Offline frances

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #44 on: Jun 20, 2006, 03:13 AM »
On the trail of 'Brokeback,' ridin' a trusty Corolla

By ALAN SOLOMON
Chicago Tribune

June, 18, 2006

The assignment was simple enough.

Not everyone was crazy about everything in Brokeback Mountain, of course, but even among people who had seen only the trailers or the newspaper ads and already hated this movie, there was agreement on one element: the scenery.

It was real good.

The full article :

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/living/travel/14833134.htm?source=rss&channel=dfw_travel

Offline frances

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #45 on: Jun 20, 2006, 03:53 AM »

Don't worry, the unmentionable didn't win again!

Best Drama Trailer:  "Jarhead"

For further information go and see CELLULOID (All About Movies) in Mountain Café (thank you, malawix!)

Offline malawix

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #46 on: Jun 20, 2006, 04:51 AM »

For further information go and see CELLULOID (All About Movies) in Mountain Café (thank you, malawix!)

Little correction: CELLULOID (All About Movies) in Member Interests.  ;)
Anyway, it's here: http://www.ennisjack.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=b6d00a2cc75f8d046fe6fb7f2d43f6e4&topic=4588.msg170673#msg170673
«Though you are far away | I am with you in every way | Close your eyes and you will see...»

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #47 on: Jun 20, 2006, 07:10 AM »

Anyway, it's here: http://www.ennisjack.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=b6d00a2cc75f8d046fe6fb7f2d43f6e4&topic=4588.msg170673#msg170673

Thanks frances and malawix.

malawix, I am getting an error when I click the link.  I will probably just go and check the CELLULOID thread...

Offline malawix

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #48 on: Jun 20, 2006, 07:32 AM »

malawix, I am getting an error when I click the link.  I will probably just go and check the CELLULOID thread...

ooops... it works here... anyway the link of the thread is this one: http://www.ennisjack.com/index.php?topic=4588.0
I hope it works...  :-\\
«Though you are far away | I am with you in every way | Close your eyes and you will see...»

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #49 on: Jun 20, 2006, 07:34 AM »

ooops... it works here... anyway the link of the thread is this one: http://www.ennisjack.com/index.php?topic=4588.0
I hope it works...  :-\\

Thanks malawix!!!!

Offline Jennis

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #50 on: Jun 20, 2006, 11:40 AM »
tpe said...

J.x

I hope you do see it again Jennis.  Regular movie houses here in Chicago are as cold as Antarctica.  I dread that, even in the hottest summers! :)  I wish my neighborhood theatre would show BBM again...

Are they.That would suit me down to the ground.I love the cold :)
J.x

Offline Jennis

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #51 on: Jun 20, 2006, 11:43 AM »
On the trail of 'Brokeback,' ridin' a trusty Corolla

By ALAN SOLOMON
Chicago Tribune

June, 18, 2006

The assignment was simple enough.

Not everyone was crazy about everything in Brokeback Mountain, of course, but even among people who had seen only the trailers or the newspaper ads and already hated this movie, there was agreement on one element: the scenery.

It was real good.

The full article :

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/living/travel/14833134.htm?source=rss&channel=dfw_travel

Thanks Frances,
Castrated,what an insult :X I would like to castrate the man who said it!
J.x

Offline Jennis

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #52 on: Jun 20, 2006, 11:47 AM »
'Brokeback Mountain' is nominated in the drama trailer category, and in other categories, in the 35th annual Key Arts Awards. The awards, which honors the marketing folks who lure movie audiences through posters, trailers and advertising, will be presented Friday, June 16 in Hollywood.

More information and a complete list of nominees here :

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/keyarts/ad_opps.jsp?vnu_content_id=1002689951

This is in BBM polls.We voted like mad for it.No results up yet as far as i can tell?
J.x

Offline Jennis

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #53 on: Jun 20, 2006, 11:48 AM »
It's a public vote.It's in BBM polls,although voting is over now.Don't know results yet?
J.x

Offline Jennis

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #54 on: Jun 20, 2006, 11:57 AM »
McKELLEN RUBBISHES DIRECTOR'S GAY ACTOR THEORY    

SIR IAN MCKELLEN has hit out at a Hollywood director's suggestion that homosexual actors should keep their sexuality hidden from the public.

The openly gay X-MEN star, 67, is appalled by the unnamed film-maker's belief that homosexual actors can never convince audiences playing heterosexual characters.

He says, "Acting is acting and if that were true HEATH LEDGER wouldn't be allowed to be in BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN because he's presumably a happily married young man who doesn't have a gay bone in his body. "And couldn't you just tell?"

20/06/2006 

http://contactmusic.com/new/xmlfeed.nsf/mndwebpages/mckellen%20rubbishes%20directors%20gay%20actor%20theory_1000319

Offline frances

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #55 on: Jun 21, 2006, 03:16 AM »
The End of Pride

It's time to stop parading and start marching, for Jack and Ennis' sake.

By Roger Downey

(Seattle Weekly)

I caught up with Brokeback Mountain the other day. I don't know about you, but I usually wait quite a while to see new movies, and the more fuss and flackery there is, the longer I wait. Try all you like, there's no way to escape it, no way actually to see a movie through the fog of other people's opinions and calculations. If you wait until the noise dies down, you have a chance to see at least some of the movie the moviemakers meant to make.

But I thought I was safe assuming Brokeback Mountain was about a tragic gay love affair. I mean, that's what the writers and director said it was, not just the critics. But that's not the movie I saw. Sure, Jack and Ennis are queer, and so bent out of shape by guilt and fear that they're afraid to admit it even to each other. But the movie I saw wasn't about that. What it was about was the constant, corrosive drip of poverty, about the tethering, shackling, muzzling force of ignorance, about the inescapable cage of class. Jack and Ennis—and most of the other characters in the movie—follow the paths they're constrained to follow, eat what's put before them. Their sexual preference is just the shit icing on the cake.

The big irony of the movie—I wish I could believe the filmmakers wanted us to feel it—is that long before Jack and Ennis' 20-year affair ends, the sexual barriers that isolate them were already breaking down, being pulled down, in fact. In the summer of 1969, the patrons of the Stonewall Bar on New York's Sheridan Square reacted to a police raid with flung beer bottles, broken windows, and five days of mass demonstrations. But even before Stonewall, decades before, hundreds of thousands of people in their situation had changed the rules by leaving their closets behind and moving where there was safety in numbers, where their sexual preference was not only tolerated but could serve as a central definer of their identity.

So far as the world at large knew, that meant San Francisco and New York and Miami, but by 1970, anybody looking for congenial company in Houston or Denver or Seattle or even Oklahoma City didn't have to lurk in the shadows to find it. Didn't, that is, if they were white. Pretty much everyone familiar with the Stonewall legend knows that drag queens were among those present and active in the week of demonstrations and riots; fewer recall that lesbians were there, too; but lost in most versions of the story is the fact that Stonewall's main clientele was black, Hispanic, and Asian, and it's documented fact that police overreaction during Sheridan Square's five days of rage was at least as much due to racial hostility as fear and hatred of queers. Gay Pride sprouted from a mulch of equal parts class, race, and gender, but before much time had passed, it had become a movement with rainbow pretensions but wholly dominated by educated, white, middle-class folks like me, and most likely you, too, dear reader.

I've been feeling more and more remote from the events of Gay Pride for years, but seeing Brokeback Mountain, even if I saw it differently than most, got me thinking hard again about what it's for, about just what it is that's being celebrated. Pride? Proud of what? Proud of our "difference"? Proud of our struggle to overcome fear, intimidation, and opposition? Twenty years ago, even 10, I could go along with that. But when I look at the Pride marchers today, if I see anything more than a sort of multicolored St. Patrick's Day celebration, I see people celebrating being, on average, the most privileged people on planet Earth, free to do exactly as they please, absolved even of the implied injunction on heterosexuals to reproduce, to foster their offspring, to devote the best years of their lives and much of their income to providing for the next generation. I'm not saying that's not cause for celebration. I enjoy the same privileges as they. What I don't understand is why we call it "Pride," and why the hets are willing to let us disrupt traffic with our boasting.

OK, I'm overstating. Let me bring this down to earth. What is the Pride March, or Gay Pride in general, doing for the Jacks and Ennises (and the Almas and Lureens) of our own day? What are we doing to pry the closets open in neighborhoods less salubrious to our cause than Capitol Hill? What kind of freedom are we advocating for residents of transient hotels on the Aurora strip? Are we conducting multilingual outreach among the hordes of Asian immigrants in the South End, or among the anonymous apartment complexes sprawling across the Eastside? Who's got the courage to evangelize among the numerous black men practicing the dangerous form of denial called the down low? We make a secular martyr of Matthew Shepard and dutifully attend performances of The Laramie Project, but what are we doing to change the poisonous mind-set that tacitly and not so tacitly ratifies such atrocities?

For me the most memorable performance in Brokeback is Randy Quaid's Joe Aguirre, squeezing the utmost savor of cruelty from his pathetic power over his hirelings. And there are Joe Aguirres everywhere. And the farther from the official centers of power you go, the lower down the economic scale, the deeper into the countryside (on the average, poorer and sicker than the worst urban slums), the more the Joe Aguirres make the rules, up and down the line. Lureen's ag-machinery magnate dad would despise Joe as much as he despises Jack, but, in fact, he's just an Aguirre with a credit line.

If we want to get beyond comfortable self-congratulation, we don't even need to leave our own communities. There are dozens of tax-exempt institutions dotted around the Sound where one can listen to a message of hate for queers (and Muslims and feminists and Latinos and liberals, but let's keep it focused) every day and twice on Sunday. Separation of church and state forbids legal action against hate speech in the name of Christ, but that doesn't mean we can't call bullshit on its sanctified perpetrators. Why aren't we outside Lake Washington High School every Sunday to sing a few hymns of toleration to the communicants of Pastor Ken Hutcherson's Antioch Bible Church as they emerge from their weekly soul bath? Why aren't we challenging radical Christian clergy to debates in front of their congregations? Why aren't we posting a weekly list of the most "hate-full" clergy, documenting and publicizing their institutionalized vileness?

What it comes down to for me, I guess, is that it's time to stop parading and start marching again. Marching (and fighting) are not as much fun and take up more time. But let's acknowledge that in this city, the point of the Pride March has been achieved. We are recognized—boy, are we recognized; is there a leading politician who doesn't show up to grab a piece of the spotlight? It's time to stop celebrating Gay Pride one weekend a year. Sure, let's say it loud: We're gay and proud. Now let's accomplish something we can be proud of. Do it for Jack and Ennis.

aimi15

« Reply #56 on: Jun 21, 2006, 11:48 AM »
Interesting article frances - thanks x

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #57 on: Jun 21, 2006, 12:58 PM »
Pride weekend in Chicago is this coming weekend.

I almost cannot bear seeing all the references to Jack and to Ennis.  I am sure that will be a certainty.

Offline stephan

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #58 on: Jun 21, 2006, 01:30 PM »
Thank you, Frances, for the articles you are pointing out. I'm catching up, and enjoying it  O0

Offline frances

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #59 on: Jun 24, 2006, 12:13 PM »

Seeing Males Together: Brokeback Mountain and Picturing Men

An essay by John Ibson, author of "Picturing Men" (http://www.press.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/hfs.cgi/00/187941.ctl)

History's fundamental lesson warns those who are comfortable with contemporary social arrangements, as it reassures those who are oppressed by current practices: It hasn't always been like this, and isn't likely to stay this way forever. This lesson is certainly true when it comes to the way that American men today are inclined and allowed to express their affection for each other—whether that affection involves romance, sexual longing, or just profound fondness.

Ang Lee's magnificent film Brokeback Mountain is the sad story of two Wyoming ranch hands whose society severely inhibits their twenty-year-long affectionate and sexual relationship. They express their mutual attraction only when utterly alone in the wilderness, at huge expense to their emotional lives and also their relationships with women. Yet Brokeback Mountain may also be instructively seen as a movie that raises disturbing issues about the ways that all American men feel about the appropriate ways to express their fondness for each other, whether or not that fondness is accompanied by sexual desire. Our culture still so scorns sexual desire between two men that there is a common fear that such desire just might accompany any fondness, as well as a fear that other people might jump to conclusions about the implications of two men's attraction to each other.

Homophobia afflicts all males in our society, both those who genuinely are sexually attracted to each other, like Ennis del Mar and Jack Twist in Brokeback Mountain, as well as those whose love or simple affection for each other has no sexual dimension to it. For one man to tell another he loves him, some joking around often trivializes the expression, with all the depth of a commercial for Bud Light; if two men embrace, a reassuring punch is often part of the action. Simply because they are men, gay men—in spite of being sexually drawn to each other—may often be no less free of inhibition in expressing affection than are their straight brothers.

As a historian who has studied the shifting history of American men's various sorts of relationships with each other, I think it is critical to note that Brokeback Mountain's Ennis and Jack were nineteen in 1963, the year they met. (So was I coincidentally.) They were shaped by the culture of 1950s America, a culture that was unusually hostile to male intimacy, as I argue in Picturing Men.

When most American boys learned to fear and despise any suggestion of queerness in themselves, Ennis received a peculiarly graphic lesson: His father made it a point to show his nine-year-old son the sexually mutilated corpse of a rancher whose relationship with the man with whom he shared a home had bothered his neighbors. Jack's dream for himself and Ennis—simply to live together in peace—was a modest one, in contrast to the reasonable dreams of men today who want to marry each other. Yet, living when they did, Ennis could only warn Jack that if their feelings for each other were ever to "grab on to us again in the wrong place, wrong time, we'll be dead." Their intimacy had to remain in the shadows, making Brokeback Mountain a tragic tale of unrealized potential.

Picturing Men shows a different world. The lost world of American men that I depict in my work was a time when men clearly were comfortable with each other, feeling free to physically express mutual affection for all to witness—not hidden away on a Brokeback Mountain, but in front of a camera, wholly without the coldness or the reassuringly exaggerated gestures that would come to mark photographs from a later time. Picturing Men does not argue that the lost world was in every way better than the world of men today, but does surely maintain that the earlier world was different, and that our understanding it, and the reasons for its demise, might improve men's relationships nowadays, with each other and with the women in their lives.

Picturing Men is based on my systematic scrutiny of thousands of everyday photographs of two or more American men together, from the dawn of photography before the Civil War until the early 1950s—both studio portraits as well as the snapshots that became common after the invention of roll film in 1888. The book displays well over a hundred representative images, showing men indoors and out, in homes, dorm rooms, and bunk houses, at the beach and in the work place, soldiers, sailors, and civilians, camping, hunting, and posing for athletic team portraits. The ways men posed with each other changed markedly over the time my book surveys, and my interpretation of those changes leads me to an interpretation of drastic changes in the quality of men's various relationships with each other over a century of American history.

As cultural evidence, photographs document certain things, yet are wholly silent about others. In looking at this photograph taken around 1915, we see two men doing something we rarely observe nowadays. I refer not simply to their pose, but to the fact that they had their portrait taken together in a photographer's studio, a ritual once widespread among American men but extremely rare today. Many observers may confidently think they see evidence of romance and a likely sexual relationship in this photograph, but that judgment reveals something only about the observer, not the subjects. Without an inscription, we can actually discern nothing from this image regarding a matter that has come to obsess us about relationships: whether the parties are having sex with each other.

What we do observe in this photograph—and in countless others—is male intimacy, two men who were clearly so comfortable with each other that they felt no need to clown around, to reassure themselves and anyone who would see their photograph that nothing culturally scorned was being displayed. Another of history's critical lessons is that change always brings both gain and loss. Picturing Men maintains that certain losses that American men have experienced in their relationships with each other have been severe. It is not simply fictional ranch hands, and not just men sexually drawn to each other, whose lives today are full of unrealized potential