Author Topic: Your Thought & Reaction from Golden Globe  (Read 39468 times)

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
Your Thought & Reaction from Golden Globe
« on: Jan 16, 2006, 11:44 PM »
Golden Globe is over but it is only a beginning. I am creating this topic for all post-GG discussion for your thoughts, reactions, and anything about GG and BBM.

Thank you for your support!
« Last Edit: Jan 17, 2006, 01:51 AM by ethan »
Remembering Pierre (chameau) 1960-2015, a "Capricorn bro and crazy Frog Uncle from the North Pole." You are missed

Offline Liam56

• Alma Jr.
Re: Thought/Reaction/News Coverage from Golden Globe
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2006, 12:12 AM »
Golden Globe is over but it is only a beginning. I am creating this topic for all post-GG discussion for your thoughts, reactions, and any media coverage for BBM.

Thank you for your support!

Hey Ethan----

I was supposed to be putting together syllabi for classes, so what did I do instead?  I watched the Golden Globes.  I have to admit that I didn't expect BBM to win.  I guess that I am a  bit skeptical of these awards.  I remember a number of years ago when the critics were discussing the Oscar Awards and they were stating their personal preferences.  They made a comment to the effect that they did not think the best picture would win because of its controversial subject matter or because it was not a politically good move.  My thoughts were, "If you can't give it to the best, then that negates the signifcance of the award itself."  After Heath Ledger lost (and he looked damn cute!) to the fellow who played in Capote I almost turned off the TV, but I must say that I am impressed that the Award committee had the gumption to give it to the best and not be intimidated by the subject matter.  I am just so happy.  Why it's almost as if I were celebrating the birth of my first child (which would be sort of an impossibility, by the way!)  It's a great night!

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2006, 12:22 AM »
Hey Ethan----

I was supposed to be putting together syllabi for classes, so what did I do instead?  I watched the Golden Globes. [/b]

I am in the same boat. Classes start tomorrow. I wish I could just lead the discussion for Brokeback Mountain.

I have to admit that I didn't expect BBM to win.  I guess that I am a  bit skeptical of these awards.  I remember a number of years ago when the critics were discussing the Oscar Awards and they were stating their personal preferences.  They made a comment to the effect that they did not think the best picture would win because of its controversial subject matter or because it was not a politically good move.  My thoughts were, "If you can't give it to the best, then that negates the signifcance of the award itself."  After Heath Ledger lost (and he looked damn cute!) to the fellow who played in Capote I almost turned off the TV, but I must say that I am impressed that the Award committee had the gumption to give it to the best and not be intimidated by the subject matter.  I am just so happy.  Why it's almost as if I were celebrating the birth of my first child (which would be sort of an impossibility, by the way!)  It's a great night!

Heath did look very gute, even right after he lost, he was smiling to someone. I could understand your frastration. I am sure to many fans here - Heath already was a winner. I am also very happy that the movie got recognized - Best Picture, Best Screenplay and Best Director. (I was actually more surprised that BBM won Best Song).

It is a wonderful accomplishment. Everyone involved in this movie should be proud of the film and commended for the impact the film has on people. It is a joy enough to make me jump up and down.

As I said before, this is only a beginning. I am actually happier that now more people will have a chance to see this movie and experience it. And maybe more PBS too.  ;D
Remembering Pierre (chameau) 1960-2015, a "Capricorn bro and crazy Frog Uncle from the North Pole." You are missed

Offline Jack Rance

• Cassie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2006, 12:37 AM »
First off -I can't thank you  all enough for keeping up this "live " GG coverage. Now, I'm STOKED-think of the buzz that will be created by this evening. Even without the acting awards-BEST: Screen Play, Song, PIC & DIRECTOR-THE GOLDEN GLOBES think about it -Brokeback for the WORLD! Now fellow Brokeback Posse members-we have a date with ... Oscar

Offline Liam56

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2006, 12:52 AM »
First off -I can't thank you  all enough for keeping up this "live " GG coverage. Now, I'm STOKED-think of the buzz that will be created by this evening. Even without the acting awards-BEST: Screen Play, Song, PIC & DIRECTOR-THE GOLDEN GLOBES think about it -Brokeback for the WORLD! Now fellow Brokeback Posse members-we have a date with ... Oscar

I second your thoughts of Jack.  Thanks, Ethan et al. for keeping us abreast regarding all the news about BBM.  And I agree with you.  He may not have received the actual award in his hands, but as far as I'm concerned, Heath won the Oscar in my estimation!

Offline rabjr1

• Ennis
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2006, 01:09 AM »
I watched the awards, so disapointed that Heath Ledger didn't win.  A role like this comes only once in a career.  Phillip Hoffman is an outstanding actor with many roles under his belt which could be the reason he got the award instead of Heath Ledger.  Glad it got best song.

Don't want to  shoot your planes out of the sky but the conventional wisdom has it that as goes the Golden Globes so go the Oscars.  Hope it is proved wrong.  Would like to see it win best actor. 

I still think a lot of credit goes to the casting director.  Can onyone see another actor playing Ennis or Jack? 
RAB aka Raoul The Really Rotten

Offline daveya26

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2006, 01:42 AM »
Aww, I just got up and read this - so gutted that Heath didnt win!  Its great it won Best Picture and Ang Lee couldnt have been more deserving of this, he did such a beautiful job, but Heath was the one we were all rooting for - oh well, next stop the Oscars :) everyone cross something!

Offline dirtbiker

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
Re: Your Thought & Reaction from Golden Globe
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2006, 02:11 AM »
Boo hoo  :-\ I so wanted Heath to get Best Actor.  I think he had much more going for him as far as all the facets of acting needed to play Ennis, such as perfecting an accent foreign to him and also be able to act through his body language which I don't think any other movie character had to focus as much on -- all these facets make the character so uniquely human, compassionate, and believable.

On the bright side, I'm sooooooooo glad they got the other awards.

Offline ChefStevo

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #8 on: Jan 17, 2006, 02:20 AM »
Well first of all I wanted Heath and Michelle to win;....but boo Hoo the didnt....but for ME!!!!! Yeah...it won the best aswards!!!!!   YAHOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
Steven

Offline Jackennis

• Cassie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2006, 02:26 AM »
Dennis Crack, what was he thinking when he made that comment that "BBM rhymes with chick flick"? That is so unnecessary and rude. What do you guys think?

Offline dirtbiker

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #10 on: Jan 17, 2006, 02:37 AM »
Dennis Crack, what was he thinking when he made that comment that "BBM rhymes with chick flick"? That is so unnecessary and rude. What do you guys think?

Yes, it was rude, and the other crack that Will (from Will & Grace) made in the preGG segment where he said "Brokeback was HILARIOUS" didn't make sense.  Was that supposed to be wise crack?  I don't get it.

JerBear418720

« Reply #11 on: Jan 17, 2006, 02:40 AM »
We should keep this "glass 3/4 full" - 4 awards is huge!

Yeah, I wanted Heath to win, too (he was amazing), but Best Actor Drama was argueably the most hotly contested award of the night, and Hoffman has been around a long time doing great work for which he hasn't gotten much recognition.  At least Heath lost out to an actor who did a great job portraying an LGBT character.  I would have given it to Heath, but I kinda get it.

Best Supporting Actress is another matter - Michelle Williams got robbed - Rachel Weisz? - no way, no rationale.

Hmmm...kinda wonder why Jake G wasn't there - Anne Hathaway was - did I miss something?  Also, I kinda winced at Dennis Quaid's intro of the BBM film clip - that business of BBM falling into a category of films that rhymes with "chick flick" - sophomoric!

Regardless, though, winning 4 awards - more that any other film - is HUGE, and we should feel good about that.  Still, I hope the soon-to-be Ledgers aren't too disappointed - they were both extraordinary, and they should both be proud of what they have done, awards or no awards.

Offline Jackennis

• Cassie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 17, 2006, 03:07 AM »
I agree that BBM won most of the important awards and we should be happy. I was disappointed that it didn't win the score. Heath spokes to the press in numbers of time that he didn't care if he didn't win but I think deep down he wants to. Maybe they are granting his wish. I don't know.

As for the comments made by Dennis and Will, it's interesting that they both had play gay role in their careers and yet they would make comments like that. What is the logic, I don't get it.

harryhausen

Re: It is YOUR board! Introducing yourself please
« Reply #13 on: Jan 17, 2006, 05:43 AM »
hi everyone,

and the Golden Globe for best drama of 2005 goes to...........

and best director......

:) :)

would've loved to see Heath Ledger win. :(

Could have done without Dennis Quaid's lame-ass joke. He said this film rhymes with "chick flick". The audience gave such a stale response. Kinda uncomfortable. Just dummifies the publics perception of such a beautiful and important film. I believe its one of the most important films of our generation.

I will post again.... :)

-ron
« Last Edit: Jan 17, 2006, 05:47 AM by harryhausen »

sharve

« Reply #14 on: Jan 17, 2006, 06:00 AM »
I agree with you, a great night for BBM. I also think that Ledger should have won because he outdid himself in that character.

Also noticed that Jake G wasn't there. When you add to the fact that he was uneasy at Jay Leno's and that he continually takes his distances from Ledger and the movie, I wonder about him.....

Offline daveya26

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #15 on: Jan 17, 2006, 07:12 AM »
I agree with you, a great night for BBM. I also think that Ledger should have won because he outdid himself in that character.

Also noticed that Jake G wasn't there. When you add to the fact that he was uneasy at Jay Leno's and that he continually takes his distances from Ledger and the movie, I wonder about him.....

Maybe Jake was filming somewhere?  Hopefully, he'll be at the Oscars though.

I couldnt watch it as it was on too late (1 am GMT), also they dont show it on the free channels and I dont have cable :(

I was glad that Lost won something at least, I love that show! :)

Im not surprised PS Hoffman got the award really, I can imagine the voters loving yet another true life story and Capote is quite a figure.  However, Hoffman is one actor Ive never warmed to at all, something about him I just dont take to. Ive also only seen him playing sleazy characters (as in Talented Mr Ripley), so I doubt I go to see Capote...

Offline bnjmn3

• Jack
  • BBM: The Best Picture Show
« Reply #16 on: Jan 17, 2006, 08:04 AM »
Jake is filming Zodiac...
We can't change it. We will have to stand it.

Offline Jack Rance

• Cassie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 17, 2006, 08:08 AM »

Yes, it was rude, and the other crack that Will (from Will & Grace) made in the preGG segment where he said "Brokeback was HILARIOUS" didn't make sense.  Was that supposed to be wise crack?  I don't get it.

All I can think of the rhymes with "chick flick: is "BG COWBOY DIC*" Must have been what was on Dennis's mind - ahh u dawg quade ...

Offline bnjmn3

• Jack
  • BBM: The Best Picture Show
« Reply #18 on: Jan 17, 2006, 08:23 AM »

Sadly, Dennis Quaid was a little jealous..I mean, he put out Sky High and the remake of Yours, Mine and Ours this year...his brother was in BBM, Dennis loves westerns and great roles. He probably would have jumped at the chance to play one of these cowboys---had he been young enough to get a part in BBM...more sad than mean...too bad for him.
We can't change it. We will have to stand it.

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #19 on: Jan 17, 2006, 08:27 AM »
It was a good night overall.  Although I was prepared for it, I still feel that Ledger was more deserving of Best Actor.  His relative youth and his not being a Hollywood 'insider' may have worked against him.

I had watched Capote, and although I thought that Philip Seymour Hoffman was very good, the performance was neither as difficult nor as subtle as Ledger's.

Ledger and Gyllenhaal are still relatively young, and I can only hope for greater things in their futures.  The same certainly applies to William's acting, as well as Anne Hathaway's.

I loved it when Diana Ossana called Heath, Jake, Michelle, and Anne practically her children.  It shows how deep the collaboration was in this movie.

Lastly, when he saluted the cast on accepting best director, Ang Lee thanked Jake first, which I think was a wonderful and heartfelt touch, as I think Ang Lee wanted Gyllenhaal's contribution to be acknowledged in a ceremony where he was very much invisible.
« Last Edit: Jan 17, 2006, 08:30 AM by tpe »

Offline dougl

• Cassie
  • I love these guys, will just have to "stand it".
Re: News Coverage: January 16 - 22
« Reply #20 on: Jan 17, 2006, 08:47 AM »
I was a little confused on Dennis Quaid"s introduction of "Brokback Mountain"  What was this rhymes with "chick-flix" comment all about?  Just want to know.  Sounds like homophobia coming to the podium.  I know "frog" will know, let's ask him.
Doug

Offline natalia

• Alma
« Reply #21 on: Jan 17, 2006, 09:11 AM »
I was ecstatic that BBM won the awards it did and was literally jumping up and down. They definitely deserved the awards they got and I only wish that Heath's groundbreaking performance was reckognized with a Golden Globes. Well, there's always the Oscars and as one of my friends pointed out maybe the man that won for Capote got the award in part because he was getting on in his years and it was one of the last chances to earn an Oscar whereas Heath still has his whole career in front of him. Still, I share Toadily's sentiment of "which performace will be remembered in 10 years, hmm?"

Ang's speech was so touching, as was Diana's and I only wish Jake had been able to attend, I know he would have wanted to.

I was pretty much outraged by Dennis Quaid introduction, isn't the point of the 'for your consideration' person to illuminate the greatness of the movie, not to belittle it?

In other, non BBM related news, here are my picks and pans for GG Award Night fashion:

Fashion Queens of the Night: Charlize Theron, Kiera Knightely, Geena Davis (best dressed). Ziyi Zhang, Penelope Cruise, Renee Zelleweger, Evangeline Lily

Fashion Misses: Marcia Cross, Reese Witherspoon, Scarlett Johannson, Gwyneth Paltrow, Anne Hathaway (Worst Dressed- I'm sorry Anne!), Melanie Griffith (ouch)

More to come when I'm not in French class!
Give me your hand
And take what you will tonight, I'll give it as fast
And high as the flame will rise
Cinder and smoke
Some whispers around the trees
The juniper bends
As if you were listening

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #22 on: Jan 17, 2006, 09:24 AM »
Fashion Queens of the Night: Charlize Theron, Kiera Knightely, ...

Kiera Knightely was the best dressed woman that night, IMHO.

Offline Koka

• Heath, I swear!
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Where bluebirds sing and there's a whiskey spring
« Reply #23 on: Jan 17, 2006, 09:28 AM »
OMG, I'm just so happy....I didn't get the chance to watch the golden globes but my mom informed me about the winners while I was at school this morning ( text messages do wonders..:D )....actually, she just wrote "brokeback mountain got 4 awards" and after reading that, I screamed....during a period ( but our teacher's kinda whacked so she didn't notice, although my classmates did :P ). and then I asked which 4....so she told me. I was kinda disappointed Heath didn't win, but what the heck. best picture? best screenplay? best director? can't get any better than that!
Why should I be out of mind
because I am out of sight?
I am waiting for you,
for an interval,
somewhere very near,
just around the corner.
All is well.

Offline jimnick

• Jack
« Reply #24 on: Jan 17, 2006, 09:47 AM »
Well it is, after all, the real world.  We did great.  Four awards is no small thing.  Still you would have thought that Heath would have won on charactor development alone. Anyway, you know, it's so ironic... this is just the kind of thing that would have happened to Ennis.

Jim

Offline natalia

• Alma
« Reply #25 on: Jan 17, 2006, 10:09 AM »

Ooh really? I don't dispute that choice.
Those were my own personal opinions up there though "Natalia's Picks and Pans" maybe I should become an award show correspondant  ;)
Also, someone I missed...
Worst dressed list: DREW BARRYMORE. ouch. ouch. ouch. honey, you need to put a bra on before you blind us all and those eyebrows!
Ok, I'm done  :-*
Give me your hand
Cinder and smoke
The juniper bends
As if you were listening

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #26 on: Jan 17, 2006, 10:14 AM »

Those were my own personal opinions up there though "Natalia's Picks and Pans" maybe I should become an award show correspondant  ;)
Worst dressed list: DREW BARRYMORE. ouch. ouch. ouch. honey, you need to put a bra on before you blind us all and those eyebrows!

Hello natalia.  This was just my opinion. ;)  But I did see that an informal poll during the pre-award ceremonies on the E channel put her on top.  She was so radiant, and very very elegant.

Offline jimnick

• Jack
« Reply #27 on: Jan 17, 2006, 10:20 AM »

Yea Drew!  I thought she was playing kick ball when whe first walked out.

Jim

Offline paradigm69

• Cassie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 17, 2006, 10:56 AM »
To answer dougl's question, the thing that rhymes with Chick Flick is "Dick Flick", right?

Offline natalia

• Alma
« Reply #29 on: Jan 17, 2006, 11:09 AM »

Hello natalia.  This was just my opinion. ;)  But I did see that an informal poll during the pre-award ceremonies on the E channel put her on top.  She was so radiant, and very very elegant.
Yes she really was beautiful. I think over the past few years she's come to be my favourite actress. None of Hollywood's pretentiousness but all of the glamour!
Give me your hand
Cinder and smoke
The juniper bends
As if you were listening