Author Topic: short movie sequences in bbm - spoilers  (Read 6138 times)

Offline kyomine

• Cassie
short movie sequences in bbm - spoilers
« on: Jan 19, 2006, 06:01 AM »
hi! i m new here and like all the songs have a meaning in brokeback, i noticed some short movie sequence during the movie, like ennis and alma at the theater, or other ones when they are in their living room, even in jack's house, and i know nothing is there by coincidence, so i wanted to know from what movie it was and what message brought this short sequences ?

i ve seen ,the movie 2 times and now i wonder about it.

Thanks

:)
« Last Edit: Jan 19, 2006, 08:11 AM by tpe »

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
Re: short movie sequences in bbm
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2006, 08:02 AM »
hi! i m new here and like all the songs have a meaning in brokeback, i noticed some short movie sequence during the movie, like ennis and alma at the theater, or other ones when they are in their living room, even in jack's house, and i know nothing is there by coincidence, so i wanted to know from what movie it was and what message brought this short sequences ?

i ve seen ,the movie 2 times and now i wonder about it.

Thanks

:)

Welcome kyomine.  Nice question.

Not so sure if I can answer your question directly.  I agree that the songs give added meaning to the scenes where they are played, but I am not so sure if the songs are necessarily related to other movies (if I understand you correctly).

To me, the most wonderful use of songs to convey emotions is in the short scenes showing Jack driving in his truck to and from Wyoming after he misunderstands Ennis' messages about his divorce from Alma.  In the scene where he enters Wyoming to see Ennis, he sings snatches of the song playing on his radio: 'King of the Road'.  It mirrors his upbeat mood and rising expectations of finally settling down with Ennis.  After being 'rejected' by Ennis, he drives back to Texas (and on to Juarez Mexico) crying, as the heartbreaking original soundtrack song 'A Love that will Never Grow Old' is played on his radio.  The use of the songs in these short scenes is so finely tuned to the moods and emotions of Jack that it becomes unforgettable.

As for other movies, the screenplay specifies two references to other movies in two scenes of 'Brokeback Mountain'. 

The first reference is to the Western classic 'Ride the High Country' (1962).  The scenes immediately following he Thanksgiving scene at Riverton (after Ennis gets pummmeled on the road) shows Ennis and Jack on Brokeback Mountain, riding horses.  The music that plays during these scenes is aptly named 'Riding Horses' in the soundtrack CD.  In these scenes, the screenplay directives say that Ennis and Jack are shown to ride horses as in the scenes with Randolph Scott and  Joel McCrea in 'Ride the High Country' -- only in this case, Ennis and Jack are shown to be more world-weary.

The second reference is when Ennis is shown throwing hay to feed cows from the back of a truck.  The screenplay says that Ennis should be like James Dean in 'Giant' (1956).  The music is for strings and fiddle, I believe.  Recall that this scene is part of a sequence that contrasts Ennis' and Jack's lives at home.  Jack is shown driving a tractor with his son, whereas Ennis is working as a ranch hand.

Hope these little notes help. :)
« Last Edit: Jan 19, 2006, 08:12 AM by tpe »

Offline monicita

• Jack
Re: short movie sequences in bbm - spoilers
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2006, 08:15 AM »
Welcome, Kyomine (from one European to another. At least we'll be on at the same time, while the Americans are still in bed, mostly ;) !

Actually, I think you meant something different, didn't you? You wanted to know about the movies shown on TV (or once at a drive-in movie theatre). My tip: Go see the movie again and wait till the very end of the credits, I remember seeing the movies clips were taken from listed there. Don't remember which ones they were, though, sorry!

monicita
Love is a many splendoured thing...

Offline kyomine

• Cassie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2006, 08:16 AM »
Thank you for the answers, it was very interesting, but my question was more about the movies we saw in brokeback mountains, throught tv or at the theater, the black and white old movies?

I hope i explained myself better. ;)

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2006, 08:19 AM »
Welcome, Kyomine (from one European to another. At least we'll be on at the same time, while the Americans are still in bed, mostly ;) !

Actually, I think you meant something different, didn't you? You wanted to know about the movies shown on TV (or once at a drive-in movie theatre). My tip: Go see the movie again and wait till the very end of the credits, I remember seeing the movies clips were taken from listed there. Don't remember which ones they were, though, sorry!

monicita

Thanks monicita for clarifying the question.

I believe the scene on TV at home (when Ennis argues with Alma about going to the church social) is from 'Kojak'.  I will have to verify this and the other clips this weekend by following monicita's advice! :)

« Last Edit: Jan 19, 2006, 08:22 AM by tpe »

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #5 on: Jan 19, 2006, 08:28 AM »
In keeping with Kyomine's question, I would also like to ask about several RADIO clips played in various scenes of the movie.  Examples are when Alma is doing laundry and when Ennis is packing to meet Jack on Brokeback.  These radio  clips sound strange, but I am also wondering if there are any meanings here. :)

Offline jazzsinger

• Cassie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 29, 2006, 04:25 PM »
Hi everyone!  this is the first time I've posted!

About the movie clips/songs and radio pieces in BBM - I think they mainly serve to set the film in a partiulcar time and culture - when you hear the radio I think you hear the year of the broadcast, so you know where you are in Jack and Ennis's lives,

and the songs evoke certain associations - just as music always does.  BTW that TV scene in Ennis's home - isn't that 'Starsky and Hutch'.  Not sure though .....

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #7 on: Mar 29, 2006, 04:31 PM »

About the movie clips/songs and radio pieces in BBM - I think they mainly serve to set the film in a partiulcar time and culture - when you hear the radio I think you hear the year of the broadcast, so you know where you are in Jack and Ennis's lives,

and the songs evoke certain associations - just as music always does.  BTW that TV scene in Ennis's home - isn't that 'Starsky and Hutch'.  Not sure though .....

Welcome on this board Jazzsinger, enjoy the place.  ;)

About the movie at the drive in it's ''Surf Party'' (1964)
About the TV show, I'm not sure but it's somethinig from the 70's
La dictature c'est ''ferme ta geule'', la démocratie c'est ''cause toujours''
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline chrissy323

• Alma
« Reply #8 on: Mar 29, 2006, 05:02 PM »

Welcome on this board Jazzsinger, enjoy the place.  ;)

About the movie at the drive in it's ''Surf Party'' (1964)
About the TV show, I'm not sure but it's somethinig from the 70's

The TV show is "Kojak"
"No More Beans"

"Beans 'bout all we got left"

"We got to do somethin' 'bout this food situation. Maybe I'll shoot one of the sheep"

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em"