Author Topic: Thanksgiving Scene  (Read 5901 times)

Offline dirtbiker

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
Thanksgiving Scene
« on: Jan 21, 2006, 09:49 PM »
Was just wondering how that whole scene would've played out at Jack's house after he chewed out the FIW.  Talk about AWKWARDNESS!

Offline Sitaram

• For Serious Discussions of Literature & Philosophy
  • Lureen
Re: Thanksgiving Scene
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2006, 12:17 AM »
I saw great manliness and courage in Jack when he stood up to the father-in-law.   Jack and Ennis were both brave and manly in every way imaginable. This is demonstrated over and over.

But, Jack's confrontation with and humiliation of his father-in-law may have sown the seeds of the father-in-laws desire for vengence, IF it is the case that Jack was actually murdered by men whom the wealth father-in-law hired as hit-men.
Words Transform the World (one person at a time).

Offline bhebbe

• Cassie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2006, 12:55 PM »
Ya, how about Jack's Thanksgiving?  He always on target I'm seeing now.

And what about Ennis' Thanksgiving? 

I have a feeling it took a lot out of him to get up the courage to join the family, and he is happy one link is broken; however, Alma hadn't grown to understand or to see the big picture yet.  Then Ennis takes a huge step backwards and another binding link the maker makes.

I'm not saying poor Ennis, but it because of these failures that his biggest leap forward at the end is that much sweeter.

sharve

« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2006, 04:00 PM »
I saw great manliness and courage in Jack when he stood up to the father-in-law.   Jack and Ennis were both brave and manly in every way imaginable. This is demonstrated over and over.

But, Jack's confrontation with and humiliation of his father-in-law may have sown the seeds of the father-in-laws desire for vengence, IF it is the case that Jack was actually murdered by men whom the wealth father-in-law hired as hit-men.

Do you really think he would have done that to his little princess? After all, she did love Jack (even though it did not work out). And, murder is pretty serious stuff.

Offline bobcarn

• Cassie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2006, 09:41 PM »
The father-in-law did NOT have Jack killed. In the story, the father-in-law had passed away by the time Jack died. The movie is way too faithful to imply a change like that. Jack's death is ambigious. It was meant to be that way.

Offline bnjmn3

• Jack
  • BBM: The Best Picture Show
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2006, 10:41 PM »
Jack's death is ambiguous, but I think Lureen was just reciting a cover story of a hate crime to Ennis. She is so robotic in her telling of it. She is also not wearing her wedding ring on her right hand..don't widows do that sometimes? There is a rock on her left wedding finger, but I have to go back to see the film if she is wearing it earlier and it is actually her wedding ring...
We can't change it. We will have to stand it.