Author Topic: BBM as a stage play  (Read 25061 times)

Offline Edmund-Paul, The Baron of Ree

• Ennis
Re: BBM as a stage play
« Reply #30 on: Feb 12, 2007, 04:07 PM »
Thats right! The Dutch got there first! Well we would wouldn't we!  &**) I have booked for Hilversum on the 23rd of Feb. as it is just 10 min by car from where we live. I'll give a full review here of course!

Mind you, the actors do not look quite the same. Here are the two links, in Dutch.

[/url]http://theaterachterom.nl/index.asp[/url]
[/url]http://www.wettenvankepler.nl/indexsite.php[/url]

So come on professional English Theatre groups! The public demands BBM on stage.
Learn from Brokeback Mountain. Make the most of your life & love from now on.
Because if you can fix it - you don't have to stand it.

Offline carlton5

• Lureen
« Reply #31 on: Feb 12, 2007, 07:33 PM »
what fantastic news &**) can"t wait to hear all about it-

• Ennis
« Reply #32 on: Feb 13, 2007, 07:12 AM »
what fantastic news &**) can"t wait to hear all about it-

Yes it is! This production is clearly meant to stand on its own. A wise decision.

If you go to see "Cabaret" or the "Sound of music" there is nothing worse than having Julie Andrews & Liza Minelli look-alikes doing impressions. You want actors that make the parts their own. So for the audience it will be a case of going to BBM, but in another dimention and with a different slant - not to mention a different language, which is an enormous challenge.

Thankfully this play is not produced as a musical!

Offline carlton5

• Lureen
« Reply #33 on: Feb 28, 2007, 09:38 PM »
Was just wondering how the play went- Hope we get an update  soon!!!

• Ennis
« Reply #34 on: Mar 01, 2007, 02:23 PM »
Was just wondering how the play went- Hope we get an update  soon!!!

Hi Carlton,

I've been ever so busy the last few days. Anyway, here is what I have to say:

Brokeback Moutain stage production. The Netherlands. 23rd feb. 2007. Willem Schouten (Jack) & Sieger Sloot (Ennis).

The entire play was acted by two men. They told the story to the audience, and from time to time assumed rolls as appropriate such as Aguirre, Jack & Ennis. So it was was largely a rendition of the story - being told both as a narrative and acted. The performance was done for about 95% in Dutch with some English. There were some songs, but these were sung without accompaniment, such as Water Walking Jesus. So the musical horror scenario was avoided.

Every key line was included. Of course there was nothing novel from the film screenplay. The sex was more described than acted, but no one was left in any doubt as to what was going on. The fact that Ennis and Jack had a long term intimate relationship was if anything more clear than in the film.

The set was very simple with large crates onto which extreme closeup pictures were projected of mountains, sheep and wives. The crates were on tracks and got pushed about to indicate scene changes. The only other human appearance was a female voice playing Laureen on the telephone.

As far as the translation was concerned - It worked about as well as a Dutch translation of a Shakespeare play would for example.

The actors managed to do the entire thing from rote memory, as actors should. They made the story their own.  The play lasted about 1 1/2 hours.

There was a projection film of a hand - someone nervously flapping something which went on quite a lot, at the end it was clear this was a postcard of BBM. It did bring tears to the eyes.

We sat on the front row of course. I was the first to stand at the end, causing a standing ovation. Well I would wouldn't I!

I am now left with three versions of BBM in my head: the story, the hollywood film, and the stage play. All co-exist quite happily in parallel universes.

The film of BBM stands alone as a masterpiece - but the future is with stage productions. This is but the first of many stage productions - there is no doubt about that.
« Last Edit: Mar 02, 2007, 05:08 AM by Jack F. Twist (JFT) »

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #35 on: Mar 01, 2007, 05:04 PM »
Thanks JFT for the review, I liked it when you wrote

I am now left with three versions of BBM in my head: the story, the hollywood film, and the stage play. All co-exist quite happily in parallel universes

That's very well said  ^-^
La dictature c'est ''ferme ta geule'', la démocratie c'est ''cause toujours''
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline carlton5

• Lureen
« Reply #36 on: Mar 01, 2007, 05:42 PM »
My thanks too ,JFT. You were so lucky to have attended the play- I am so envious - Wish I could have been there-Hopefully someone will produce a play in the USA eventually- With all the successful  reunions that have occured,wouldnt it be a blast to have a reunion in a city that was staging the play and have the theatre packed full of Brokies??  Thank so much for the information and update :clap:

• Ennis
« Reply #37 on: Mar 02, 2007, 05:13 AM »
Thanks JFT for the review, I liked it when you wrote

That's very well said  ^-^

Thanks Chameau. I was frightened one would spoil the other. In fact the whole experience is only better. There is nothing worse than going to see, for example, a stage production of The Sound of Music to be faced with a Jullie Andrews impression. These actors did not even attempt to act like it was in the film, very wise and their apperrence was very different from Heath & Jake. In a way - closer to the descriptions of the characters in the story.
« Last Edit: Mar 02, 2007, 05:24 AM by Jack F. Twist (JFT) »

• Ennis
« Reply #38 on: Mar 02, 2007, 05:28 AM »
My thanks too ,JFT. You were so lucky to have attended the play- I am so envious - Wish I could have been there-Hopefully someone will produce a play in the USA eventually- With all the successful  reunions that have occured,wouldnt it be a blast to have a reunion in a city that was staging the play and have the theatre packed full of Brokies??  Thank so much for the information and update :clap:

I think this will happen. At the London get-together there was a bit of fun with enacting scenes. I think serious full productions are going to catch on in many parts of the world. It is in fact easy to stage as it is basically just the telling of a tale to an audience. The thing is to make the most of the stage and live acting factor, and forget all about the film adaptation.

Offline Oregondoggie

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #39 on: Mar 02, 2007, 10:02 PM »

The film of BBM stands alone as a masterpiece - but the future is with stage productions. This is but the first of many stage productions - there is no doubt about that.

Hot damn!  If the script for an English version were available, we could stage it at the big Brokeback Mountain get-together in Colorado at the end of May.  Maybe someone could put it together... Friend, your prediction is goin' a come true one way or another.

« Last Edit: Mar 02, 2007, 10:12 PM by Oregondoggie »

• Ennis
« Reply #40 on: Mar 03, 2007, 05:15 PM »
Friend, your prediction is goin' a come true one way or another.

I'll see what I can do. The theater company here must have had clearence to use the material for a stage production. This was almost certainly done from an English language stage play. If not it is fairly easy to make a stage play from the story. It is a short story crammed full of punchy lines and graphic description.

Offline Oregondoggie

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #41 on: Mar 04, 2007, 03:27 AM »
I'll see what I can do. The theater company here must have had clearence to use the material for a stage production. This was almost certainly done from an English language stage play. If not it is fairly easy to make a stage play from the story. It is a short story crammed full of punchy lines and graphic description.

There's gonna be a shoot-out as to who gets to be Jack and who gets to be Ennis.  And then there's the matter of disposin' of Ennis' washrag!

• Ennis
« Reply #42 on: Mar 04, 2007, 03:31 PM »
There's gonna be a shoot-out as to who gets to be Jack and who gets to be Ennis.  And then there's the matter of disposin' of Ennis' washrag!

Funny you should mention that. In the Dutch production it gets trown at the audience!

Offline donnaread

• Love is a force of nature
  • Alma
« Reply #43 on: Mar 05, 2007, 04:33 PM »
Would love to have seen this production.  Didn't have time to read all the posts to this thread, but is there any chance that this was filmed and we might get to see it?  I hope, I hope I hope.
Donna (:)
This is the forest primeval.  The murmuring pines and the hemlocks, bearded with moss, and in garments green, indistinct in the twilight...but where are the hearts that beneath it leaped...

Offline Oregondoggie

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #44 on: Mar 05, 2007, 05:38 PM »
I have a feeling that the Dutch play is goin' a mosey over into English
and will be around for a long, long time.

Another good sign:  A scholarly work, called Reading Brokeback Mountain,
a collection of 15 essays "from a wide variety of perspectives" on the story and the film, Jim Stacy, ed.,
is about to come out in May.  It will be published by McFarland Press. Mr. Stacy is on a university
faculty in Louisiana.

Looks like there "Ain't no reins on this one"!

Offline tpe

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #45 on: Mar 05, 2007, 07:33 PM »
I have a feeling that the Dutch play is goin' a mosey over into English
and will be around for a long, long time.

Another good sign:  A scholarly work, called Reading Brokeback Mountain,
a collection of 15 essays "from a wide variety of perspectives" on the story and the film, Jim Stacy, ed.,
is about to come out in May.  It will be published by McFarland Press. Mr. Stacy is on a university
faculty in Louisiana.

Looks like there "Ain't no reins on this one"!

Thanks Oregondoggie!  I did read about this collection and I am hoping to get it.  Serious work like this is always welcome.

• Ennis
« Reply #46 on: Mar 06, 2007, 07:03 AM »
Would love to have seen this production.  Didn't have time to read all the posts to this thread, but is there any chance that this was filmed and we might get to see it?  I hope, I hope I hope.
Donna (:)

I have been rushed off my feet over the last few weeks. Things are setteling down again now. I will contact the theatre company soon about the script and will also ask if this production has been filmed.

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2007, 02:13 PM »
It is really happening...BBM as a stage play. Thanks for the update, JFT.
Remembering Pierre (chameau) 1960-2015, a "Capricorn bro and crazy Frog Uncle from the North Pole." You are missed

• Ennis
« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2007, 01:14 PM »
It is really happening...BBM as a stage play. Thanks for the update, JFT.

I think it has ended its run now. They did a tour of the Netherlands.

Offline Oregondoggie

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2007, 11:00 PM »
Be interesting to find out what Diana Ossana and Larry McMurtry think.  Could there be different productions elsewhere?  (Would like to see a fuller version with other roles included.. Aguirre, the wives, Jack's parents, etc.)  Gonna ask about this at the gathering up at Estes Park in Colorado over Memorial Day Weekend.

Larry

• Ennis
« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2007, 12:23 PM »
Be interesting to find out what Diana Ossana and Larry McMurtry think.  Could there be different productions elsewhere?  (Would like to see a fuller version with other roles included.. Aguirre, the wives, Jack's parents, etc.)  Gonna ask about this at the gathering up at Estes Park in Colorado over Memorial Day Weekend.

Larry

That would be great. The thing is though to go out from the story - not from the film. Thats what made the play I saw stand on its own.

Offline Asali

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #51 on: Aug 09, 2007, 06:51 AM »
Hugh for Brokeback stage play
The Courier Mail  July 27, 2007

TALK about being typecast. No sooner had Hugh Jackman put the gold lame pants back in the wardrobe – after playing gay singer and songwriter Peter Allen in The Boy from Oz – than his name is touted for a stage adaptation of the Oscar-winning movie Brokeback Mountain.

The Many Faces of Hugh Jackman gallery The Australian star – who would admittedly have the riding skills off pat – is reported to be the No. 1 choice to play a gay cowboy alongside his X-Men co-star James Marsden, who also showed off his vocal abilities in the recent flick Hairspray.
No word yet on whether Hugh would be playing the role which led fellow Aussie Heath Ledger to worldwide critical acclaim, or that of Heath's on-screen lover Jake Gyllenhaal.

"People's minds are like parachutes. To function properly they must first be open." - W.G.P.

It use to feel like a mass of dots. But more and more these days, I feel like we're all connected. (Latter Days)

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #52 on: Aug 09, 2007, 03:31 PM »
Hugh for Brokeback stage play
The Courier Mail  July 27, 2007

TALK about being typecast. No sooner had Hugh Jackman put the gold lame pants back in the wardrobe – after playing gay singer and songwriter Peter Allen in The Boy from Oz – than his name is touted for a stage adaptation of the Oscar-winning movie Brokeback Mountain.

The Many Faces of Hugh Jackman gallery The Australian star – who would admittedly have the riding skills off pat – is reported to be the No. 1 choice to play a gay cowboy alongside his X-Men co-star James Marsden, who also showed off his vocal abilities in the recent flick Hairspray.
No word yet on whether Hugh would be playing the role which led fellow Aussie Heath Ledger to worldwide critical acclaim, or that of Heath's on-screen lover Jake Gyllenhaal.

Where?  When?  :d)
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline Asali

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #53 on: Aug 10, 2007, 01:53 AM »
That's all I've been able to find but it wouldn't be before next year as Hugh is busy filming a movie in Australia with Nicole Kidman atm.
"People's minds are like parachutes. To function properly they must first be open." - W.G.P.

It use to feel like a mass of dots. But more and more these days, I feel like we're all connected. (Latter Days)

Offline pierralex

• Dreamer forever
  • Jack + Ennis
  • que les moutons aillent se faire foutre
« Reply #54 on: Aug 24, 2007, 12:44 PM »
well if ever hugh jackman kisses james marsden I WANT to see it!!!  :d)
"Texans don't drink coffee?"

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #55 on: Aug 24, 2007, 04:30 PM »
If it ever happens I hope they'll advertise it in advance... I would fly to Australia to see it and... meet some Brokies Down Under.   <^( Just need to save some money.  :i
« Last Edit: Aug 24, 2007, 06:53 PM by chameau »
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline proulxfan

• Alma
  • " You know I ain't queer!"
« Reply #56 on: Aug 24, 2007, 06:51 PM »
I didn't even know this thread was here! What a great idea; why didn't I think of that? %&)

The ss could be wonderful as a stage play! In spite of all the descriptions of the "wide open spaces", Ennis's world is more and more confined, "walking around the coffepot...". I hope a good production will be mounted in the U.S. sometime soon.
Jack: " Nice to know you, Ennis Del Mar."

Offline City Slickin' Cowboy

• BBM Addict for Life.
  • Jack + Ennis
  • It's A BBM Love Affair
« Reply #57 on: Aug 24, 2007, 07:54 PM »
I know I poo pooed the idea sometime back, but a serious stage play
would fare better in my mind than a musical.
A reminder Brokies...there is no known cure for PBS.  It's merely managed.

Offline Asali

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #58 on: Aug 25, 2007, 02:40 AM »
If it ever happens I hope they'll advertise it in advance... I would fly to Australia to see it and... meet some Brokies Down Under.   <^( Just need to save some money.  :i
Wouldn't that be amazing having a brokie meet in Australia and heading off to a BBM stage play. 
<^( <^(

• Ennis
« Reply #59 on: Aug 25, 2007, 02:54 PM »
I know I poo pooed the idea sometime back, but a serious stage play
would fare better in my mind than a musical.

Yes. The Dutch version was super and it was a serious stage play.

JFT