Author Topic: Spelling  (Read 21619 times)

Offline Edmund-Paul, The Baron of Ree

• Ennis
Spelling
« on: Oct 16, 2006, 02:27 PM »
Hello,

I am English and have a classical education - I am well aware of the way language evolves and I often fall about in laughter at American English. I love Americans.

However, I see that BBM fans seem to describe themselves as Brokies - after Trekies and the like I assume.

The trouble is that the word "Brokies" should be pronounced with an "ok' sound, as in clock.

Strictly speaking Brokeies would be the most logical and literal way to write what is spoken, but the eie letter combination is unnatural to English.

Might I suggest the following spelling - Brokeys? This lends itself to being pronounced "bro-keys" and so retains the "Broke" sound. 

Saul (Edmund Paul Charnley, Baron of Ree).
Learn from Brokeback Mountain. Make the most of your life & love from now on.
Because if you can fix it - you don't have to stand it.

aimi15

Re: Spelling
« Reply #1 on: Oct 16, 2006, 02:33 PM »
There has been a discussion relating to this on another BBM board, where they have decided against 'Brokies' because of its relation to 'Trekkies', and are using 'Brokeaholic' instead. I say Brokie - only because i am so used to spelling it that way now - don't know if i could get myself out of that habit!! ;) ;)

• Ennis
« Reply #2 on: Oct 16, 2006, 03:02 PM »
Then I shall perhaps refer to myself as a Brokeback Mountaineer!

Saul

aimi15

« Reply #3 on: Oct 16, 2006, 03:14 PM »
 ;D

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #4 on: Oct 18, 2006, 10:30 PM »
Might I suggest the following spelling - Brokeys? This lends itself to being pronounced "bro-keys" and so retains the "Broke" sound.

I'm not an English speaking person I mean it's not my first language;  French is, I'm French Canadian.  When I switch to the English speaking/writing mode I feel a bit odd because the American English and the English from England (I'm not mentioning Scotland, Ireland, Wales, Australia, New-Zealand etc...) are a bit different and even us Canadians have some local expressions and accents.  I guess Brokie is already in use for a while (at least here) and is going to remain but, I'll make sure we will mention this thread in the next Newsletter, I look forward for some interesting discussion here.  Good point for you, Brokeys passed the Spell Check... Brokie did not   ;)

Thanks Saul for starting this thread.
« Last Edit: Oct 18, 2006, 10:39 PM by chameau »
La dictature c'est ''ferme ta geule'', la démocratie c'est ''cause toujours''
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline Rønnaug

• Mod-ChickY brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Eat the banana custard, or die!
« Reply #5 on: Oct 19, 2006, 01:40 AM »
Nope :)

But thanks for the insight..not beeing english or american nor aussie it is always great to get these kinds of explanations.. I write how I feel in here tho..somethimes I write they sometime thay hehe... I also use u instead of you and so forth.. please don't hang me for completly tearing apart the wonderful english language... (sometimes I just plain misspell ortype to fast and don't check )

But Brokie is far closer to how it is natural for me to say it... and haivng spent almost a year on this forum using it thats what it will be :)

Can't wait to meet u Saul aty the egt :) get to know u better :)
No matter how much jell-O you pour in the pool , you still can't walk on water

• Ennis
« Reply #6 on: Oct 19, 2006, 06:06 AM »

I'm not an English speaking person I mean it's not my first language;  French is, I'm French Canadian.  When I switch to the English speaking/writing mode I feel a bit odd because the American English and the English from England (I'm not mentioning Scotland, Ireland, Wales, Australia, New-Zealand etc...) are a bit different and even us Canadians have some local expressions and accents.  I guess Brokie is already in use for a while (at least here) and is going to remain but, I'll make sure we will mention this thread in the next Newsletter, I look forward for some interesting discussion here.  Good point for you, Brokeys passed the Spell Check... Brokie did not   ;)

Thanks Saul for starting this thread.

You are welcome! Its nice to be bi-lingual.

Engish of course has national variations and local dialects - even I have trouble understanding people with Scottish accents from the big cities and American English as spoken by some Black people. Scottish, Irish, Cornish and Welsh accents in English all have a Celtic language undertones to them. In Wales and Irland particularly many people speak Celtic languages in daily life.

French is more standardised in general is it not? There is a lot be said for that. English is just free to evolve.

Je suis brokie, oh la al!

Saul

Offline welshwitch

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #7 on: Oct 19, 2006, 08:18 AM »
There's no point in expecting Americans( Canadians, New Zealanders, Australians, etc.) to use English correctly! They can't handle a pendant particpial clause or an ablative absolute, so why would they understand conventions of spelling and pronunciation?

:) &**) :)

OK, I'm off - at light speed.

• Ennis
« Reply #8 on: Oct 19, 2006, 02:03 PM »
There's no point in expecting Americans( Canadians, New Zealanders, Australians, etc.) to use English correctly! They can't handle a pendant particpial clause or an ablative absolute, so why would they understand conventions of spelling and pronunciation?

Well really. There is no need to swear! ;)

Saul

Offline jason

• Lureen
« Reply #9 on: Nov 20, 2006, 01:20 AM »
The trouble is that the word "Brokies" should be pronounced with an "ok' sound, as in clock.

Hallo Jack F. Twist,

That's a great handle.  Only afficionados would understand! Hell, Annie P. herself might be confused.  Get the impression she probably hasn't seen the movie as often us Brokies. On the same tack, in an earlier post I suggested starting a watering hole at the foot of some appropriate mountain in Wyo or Alberta called the Jack F*ckin Twist Saloon.  But using this as a handle is inspired!  Yeah, I'm a touch envious, only that's a mean spirited emotion, unworthy of the big time, that BBM insists we follow.

Spelling Brokies:  With full Southern respect (I live in Texas), may I disagree?  Surely a rhyme with clock, as you suggest, would be rendered as Brockies, with a most necessary "c."  But Brokies faithfully follows a dominant form in English of the long vowel in midword being retained,
(i) before a single final consonant -- so smoke becomes Smokies, our famous example (Mountains in these United States), versus Windies where two consonants shorten the "i;"
(ii) even when other vowels slide in for the final e -- infinite number of examples where other final vowels keep the prior vowel long ... smoking (versus smocking), loping (versus lopping), roping, fuming, futile, nubile, nudity, etc.

Brokey works, but usage has surely set Brokie/brokie in the granite a Wyomin's Granite Mts. (SE of Riverton a ways).  We could always ax Fowler.

Best,

jason
Let be, let be

• Ennis
« Reply #10 on: Nov 20, 2006, 11:48 AM »
Hello Jason,

The F. stands for Frederick.  ;D Strange that St. Annie can throw the F word about with gay abandon but that word is not allowed here without stars repacing letters, a sort of digital fig-leaf. Amusing. But then it is wonderfully safe here.

Brokie is just about acceptable to my way of thinking. Its the pleural form I really object to somehow. Brokies just looks wrong to me.

But the English is far from logical in its spelling. The thing is we all share the same love for the story, screenplay and film.

Offline Rønnaug

• Mod-ChickY brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #11 on: Nov 20, 2006, 11:54 AM »
I have never seen Star Trek fans referred to or reffering to themselves as TREKYES...

• Ennis
« Reply #12 on: Nov 20, 2006, 12:12 PM »
I have never seen Star Trek fans referred to or reffering to themselves as TREKYES...

No. It should be Trekeys.  &**)

Offline Rønnaug

• Mod-ChickY brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #13 on: Nov 20, 2006, 01:29 PM »
Point beeing they have forever been known as trekies

Offline lamusica

• Ennis
« Reply #14 on: Nov 20, 2006, 01:46 PM »
Some spellings in American English have to do with emotions.  I know this is a strange concept to some, but, nevertheless, it is true.  The -ies ending denotes something small and dear ( cherished); therefore "brokies" are wee, loveable creatures -- spelling be damned.  I think the word "brokies" looks more endearing than "brokeys", which, in my opinion, looks mechanical.
"Let's put a SSSSMILE on your faceeee!"

aimi15

« Reply #15 on: Nov 20, 2006, 02:19 PM »
Some spellings in American English have to do with emotions.  I know this is a strange concept to some, but, nevertheless, it is true.  The -ies ending denotes something small and dear ( cherished); therefore "brokies" are wee, loveable creatures -- spelling be damned.  I think the word "brokies" looks more endearing than "brokeys", which, in my opinion, looks mechanical.
Aw, this is lovely reasoning for using Brokies as opposed to Brokeys. I hate Brokeys too - it looks wrong, and Esmelily you are right, it's always been Trekies, so i hope it will always be 'Brokies' :)

• Ennis
« Reply #16 on: Nov 20, 2006, 04:55 PM »

This throws a new light on things. I had quite forgotton the whole "-ies" thing was from American English.

How about spelling it Brokeys in the UK and Brokies in the US? At least it is pronounced the same! As in colour and color. Unlike pavement and side-walk, lift and elevator etc. etc. !!

Offline Rønnaug

• Mod-ChickY brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #17 on: Nov 20, 2006, 04:57 PM »
I think you are fighting a battle you cannot win here saul, it has been brokies here for a long time and I can't imagine those of us that likes the english english will give it up . Personally I just think brokeys souns like a broken key...

• Ennis
« Reply #18 on: Nov 20, 2006, 05:08 PM »
I think you are fighting a battle you cannot win here saul, it has been brokies here for a long time and I can't imagine those of us that likes the english english will give it up . Personally I just think brokeys souns like a broken key...

Never mind. #I'll spell it my way# to miss-quote the song and let the world do as it will!

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
  • No longer using this account: frog123
« Reply #19 on: Nov 21, 2006, 08:21 AM »

Never mind. #I'll spell it my way# to miss-quote the song and let the world do as it will!

You do that...and we keep our beloved brokie ;)
Support bacteria, they are the only culture some people have!

If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I.
~ Michel Eyquem de Montaigne (1533-1592) ~ (Thankx to gimmejack)

Offline welshwitch

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #20 on: Nov 21, 2006, 11:28 AM »
Actually to be pedntic ( which I'm good at) the "ies" ending can be either a normal English plural of words ending in -consonant y ,such as "puppy" or " kitty" or if you prefer baby or diary, or can be a diminutive - eg the Scots talk about "sweeties" when they mean "sweets".

To follow the rules "Brokie" wouyld either have toi be a non-existent singular form of plural Brokies and would be "Broky" or a diminutive form - the Scots use "sweetie" as a singulr and it's also baby talk in England. But in English baby talk it's a regular plural of the diminutive "dolly" - "dollies" and is naff either way to my mnd.

Enflish words ending in "e" eg "stone" make adjectival forms by adding "y" and dropping the "e" hence "stony". thus Brokey would alsol ook irregular, except that if you dropped the "e" in this case the pronunciation would be  * "brokkee" so "Brokey" would keep the rules insofar as there are any.

And Star Trek fans are Trekkies - with only one "k" the word would sound like *"treekees"

None of this is any help but proves I can do verbiage and obfuscation as well as the next guy. :)

• Ennis
« Reply #21 on: Nov 21, 2006, 02:27 PM »
I can do verbiage and obfuscation

You should get a job as an anouncer in an old time music hall!

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
  • No longer using this account: frog123
« Reply #22 on: Nov 21, 2006, 02:28 PM »
None of this is any help but proves I can do verbiage and obfuscation as well as the next guy.

:clap: :8 :clap: :8 :clap: :8
Support bacteria, they are the only culture some people have!

If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I.
~ Michel Eyquem de Montaigne (1533-1592) ~ (Thankx to gimmejack)

Offline Rønnaug

• Mod-ChickY brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #23 on: Nov 21, 2006, 03:10 PM »

None of this is any help but proves I can do verbiage and obfuscation as well as the next guy. :)

Yes you can (Whatever that might be)... and frankly my dear I don't give a damn ;) I am a Brokie cause I am sweet and little, like your babytalk ;)

• Ennis
« Reply #24 on: Nov 21, 2006, 03:15 PM »

Yes you can (Whatever that might be)... and frankly my dear I don't give a damn ;) I am a Brokie cause I am sweet and little, like your babytalk ;)

Little darlin'!

Offline orangetruck

• Justin +
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Following Jack's happy trail is a trip.
« Reply #25 on: Jun 06, 2007, 01:05 AM »
 :8@this thread.

So my little book of ok's goes like this:

Brocky, brockies - the short 'o' sound as in 'clock'

Broke, brokies - the long 'o' as in 'bone'

Broky and brokey may pass, but where I grew up, a place of let's say 48-50 roughcut little segments of Earth, when the form becomes plural, it snatches the 'ies' treatment. Kind of like when you have blistering hot hemorhoids and you put Preparation H cream on 'em, you 'ease' away the pain. You 'ies' away the hard time you'd be having, had you grated the sumbitches off with broken keys.

Maybe it's a geological thing. Puppys, monkeys, buddys just seem out of place here, to me.
After all, we're not alone. We are not singular. We're more than one; we're a family of ~
And that alone makes it iesier on everybody.  :cr)

This has been my broken but familiar logic.  $)

:^^)
"Cor cordium" - Oliver from Call Me By Your Name, a novel by Andre Aciman.

• Ennis
« Reply #26 on: Jun 06, 2007, 03:07 PM »
Spelling in English has little to do with logic!

Offline orangetruck

• Justin +
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Following Jack's happy trail is a trip.
« Reply #27 on: Jun 06, 2007, 03:57 PM »
Spelling in English has little to do with logic!

Hence the broken little pieces of it, sparce, with just enough to cling to and make personal.  :^^)  <^(
"Cor cordium" - Oliver from Call Me By Your Name, a novel by Andre Aciman.

Offline Ty

• El Queso
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #28 on: Jun 06, 2007, 04:43 PM »

wutevur do u meen? ;D

Brokeys just doesn't look right, it reminds me of monkeys :i 
Brokies is just what it is. ;)  Sorry I have nothing significant to add to the discussion.
Lucille: I don't have the milk of mother's kindness in me anymore.

Michael: That utter's been dry for a while now...

Jack-"Ain’t our fault. This ain’t wrong Ennis, don’t care what anybody think this ain’t wrong." 
No, it ain’t wrong; ‘cause if this ain’t right—if this here thing ain’t right, then nothin’ in the whole world is right; no, nothin’ atall. -delmarPainting

Offline boo_boo

• Jack + Ennis
  • Never enough lip & tongue, never enough.
« Reply #29 on: Jun 08, 2007, 03:29 PM »
People from Oklahoma are called Okies so the spelling of Brokies makes sense to me.  That's my 2 cents. ;D
“Ennis, on a good day it’s hard to understand ya…but when you’re talkin into my ass…I really got no idea what the f*ck you’re saying.” - Missing Motel Moments by haunted_by_bbm