Author Topic: Spelling  (Read 21483 times)

Offline Edmund-Paul, The Baron of Ree

• Ennis
Re: Spelling
« Reply #30 on: Jun 09, 2007, 05:15 AM »
People from Oklahoma are called Okies so the spelling of Brokies makes sense to me.  That's my 2 cents. ;D

The great thing about English is that there is no official body that decides on spelling, grammar or even words (as opposed to many other languages such as French and Dutch which has committees to decide on official spellings).  The English dictionaries simply reflect what is in common or less common use per nation and or regional dialect. If a word catches on, or a spelling or pronunciation variation occurs - that is all part of the course.

Different words sometimes occur meaning the same thing; Such as sofa, couch and settee - all meaning the same furniture but each word denoting the British social class you come form or aspire to. Get  your accent right but the word wrong and you are clearly faking your social status.

English is a constantly evolving language of all the peoples who use it. Yet almost everyone can understand eachother immediately (with laughter) regardless of their nationality or dialect.

JFT
Learn from Brokeback Mountain. Make the most of your life & love from now on.
Because if you can fix it - you don't have to stand it.

Offline orangetruck

• Justin +
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Following Jack's happy trail is a trip.
« Reply #31 on: Jun 09, 2007, 05:22 AM »

English is a constantly evolving language of all the peoples who use it. Yet almost everyone can understand eachother immediately, regardless of their nationality or dialect.

JFT

Ok, so I'm much more apt to trust this statement. In fact, I agree; this is a far stretch from the first post I read here.
 :cr)

Like Irish whiskey and Canadian whisky, sure they look different. And surely one even tastes considerably better.
And it sure as shit ain't the latter.  ;D
"Cor cordium" - Oliver from Call Me By Your Name, a novel by Andre Aciman.

• Ennis
« Reply #32 on: Jun 09, 2007, 05:26 AM »
Ok, so I'm much more apt to trust this statement. In fact, I agree; this is a far stretch from the first post I read here.
 :cr)

Like Irish whiskey and Canadian whisky, sure they look different. And surely one even tastes considerably better.
And it sure as shit ain't the latter.  ;D

This is the liberal approach, yes. But being difficult is so much fun!  &**)

Must people get all  ^*) about language - its such a human thing.

Offline orangetruck

• Justin +
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #33 on: Jun 09, 2007, 05:38 AM »
This is the liberal approach, yes. But being difficult is so much fun!  &**)

Must people get all  ^*) about language - its such a human thing.

I think being difficult and being provocative are separated by a faint line which is mainly drawn by the perspective of whoever's interested.
I personally liked watching this thread evolve.

Refreshing at the least.  $)

I like how the English language galvanizes the intricate possibilities of expression. Many words do ring identical bells but with different origins, histories, strengths; it makes for a strong swing, a loud or melodic noise.
The more exquisite the tools, the greater the sculpted visual, IMO.  :s)

• Ennis
« Reply #34 on: Jun 09, 2007, 05:44 AM »

The more exquisite the tools, the greater the sculpted visual, IMO. 

Well, its a combination of tools and chraftmaship as far as an art form is concerned. But then again, there is a lot to be said for less educated people and the language they use. Its all communication and they all need to be taken seriously as individuals.

• Ennis
« Reply #35 on: Jun 09, 2007, 05:46 AM »
Well, its a combination of tools and chraftmaship as far as an art form is concerned. But then again, there is a lot to be said for less educated people and the language they use. Its all communication and they all need to be taken seriously as individuals.

And Ennis and Jack where anything but well educated.

Offline orangetruck

• Justin +
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #36 on: Jun 09, 2007, 06:28 AM »
And Ennis and Jack where anything but well educated.

In my book, and it may be Greek, it's all a form of art. Anything being delivered outside from within where it was born from a single thought is art. I just find the process fascinating, but then it doesn't take much.

E and J may not have had many of said tools, and they had to do a lot of reading between lines. There's a lot to language, but not all of it is necessary. Look at how easy it is to relate or identify with Ennis and Jack. One and/or the other.
In retrospect, I'm sometimes comfortable with the idea that one was blinded by fear, the other by love, and that they craved the same thing. Other times, I'm much weaker and find myself designing their chemistry with grey areas that lead my heart to a sanctuary away from tragedy or loss.
It seems impossible just how much power words have. I understand I have abused the English language as if it were a privelage.
And also that Annie wouldn't have crafted such a tent spike to our hearts, had she been concerned with her P's and Q's.

Kudos.

:c)

• Ennis
« Reply #37 on: Jun 09, 2007, 10:38 AM »
In my book, and it may be Greek, it's all a form of art.

There is a lot to be said for that.

I understand I have abused the English language as if it were a privelage.

How do you get to this point though? You sound as if you have done something wrong!

And also that Annie wouldn't have crafted such a tent spike to our hearts, had she been concerned with her P's and Q's.

Annie tends to use a lot of F's  ;D

Kudos.

:c)

Offline orangetruck

• Justin +
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #38 on: Jun 09, 2007, 04:41 PM »

There is a lot to be said for that.

Oh good..  ;D

How do you get to this point though? You sound as if you have done something wrong!

Just sarcasm.  ;) English seems to have come packaged with knives and chissels for our bloody editing pleasures. Hell, I think it even comes with a spatula and some nutmeg 'cause it knows we be gettin' the munchies often.  :d)

Annie tends to use a lot of F's

The F's certainly had jumped come out of the woodwork on high altitude occasion. It's just inevitable one of those things.

Mmm, damn flashbacks!  :f)  (^)

• Ennis
« Reply #39 on: Jun 10, 2007, 02:20 PM »
I've not for nothing taken the virtual name of Jack F. Twist!

You should read some of Annies other stories. They are very naughty! I only ever read mine under the covers with a torch!

Offline orangetruck

• Justin +
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #40 on: Jun 10, 2007, 05:19 PM »
I've not for nothing taken the virtual name of Jack F. Twist!

You should read some of Annies other stories. They are very naughty! I only ever read mine under the covers with a torch!

;D

*o), but I spent about 25 minutes in Barnes & Noble's Annie P. section alone. There were a handful of her short stories and novels, and I was really close to picking one. I'm not even sure why I hadn't. But now I think it's because I've too little closure with BBM to comfortably accept only part of its equation.

I give it time.  O0

• Ennis
« Reply #41 on: Jun 11, 2007, 02:02 PM »

*o),

Well, its not about spelling as such but it is to do with writing, so thats close enough!

but I spent about 25 minutes in Barnes & Noble's Annie P. section alone. There were a handful of her short stories and novels, and I was really close to picking one. I'm not even sure why I hadn't. But now I think it's because I've too little closure with BBM to comfortably accept only part of its equation.

I give it time.  O0

Actually, to be brutally honest, nothing else I have read by Annie P. comes close to BBM in terms of impact and quality. I have given up reading two of her books, I just start skimping more and more and then think - why bother reading any more if I am so bored? Its like BBM is the real gem among the paste. Only BBM has that ghostly real feeling to it as if everything about it is alive and dead at the same time. Its a one off. Only once in the lifetime of a thousand authors does anyone write something that good. And that is a compliment.

« Last Edit: Jun 11, 2007, 02:10 PM by Jack F. Twist (JFT) »

Offline orangetruck

• Justin +
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #42 on: Jun 13, 2007, 04:40 AM »

Actually, to be brutally honest, nothing else I have read by Annie P. comes close to BBM in terms of impact and quality. I have given up reading two of her books, I just start skimping more and more and then think - why bother reading any more if I am so bored? Its like BBM is the real gem among the paste. Only BBM has that ghostly real feeling to it as if everything about it is alive and dead at the same time. Its a one off. Only once in the lifetime of a thousand authors does anyone write something that good. And that is a compliment.

Yeah.

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #43 on: Jun 13, 2007, 07:59 PM »
Sorry guys but it's slighty off topic for while here, thanks! ;)
La dictature c'est ''ferme ta geule'', la démocratie c'est ''cause toujours''
 Jean-Louis Barrault

• Ennis
« Reply #44 on: Jun 14, 2007, 02:12 PM »
Yeah.

OT, should we move this conversation to another thread, strictly confine our discussion to spelling, or stop?

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #45 on: Jun 14, 2007, 05:26 PM »
This thread is dedicated to spelling
La dictature c'est ''ferme ta geule'', la démocratie c'est ''cause toujours''
 Jean-Louis Barrault

• Ennis
« Reply #46 on: Jun 15, 2007, 01:18 PM »
This thread is dedicated to spelling

Hello Chameau,

Yes, thats fine!

It looks like we have decided to take the converation off this thread and over to private mail to make things a bit less confined to one topic. That's always an option I forget we all have on this forum!

Best wishes, JFT