Author Topic: ennis trailer - closeups of television set?  (Read 3390 times)

Offline manila_rocks

• Lureen
ennis trailer - closeups of television set?
« on: Jan 24, 2006, 05:52 PM »
I am wondering about the possible significance of the repeated, lingering flashes of the TV set in the otherwise sparsely furnished trailer.

Is the author/and or director is attempting to signify that the TV is a "window to the soul" or "a pathway to the outer world(outside the trailer)".

It simply must be more than a distraction for his otherwise lonely, empty existence after the divorce and loss of jack.

Other thoughts on why a mega movie would focus so much on a silly TV?

p.s.  I have flown to Puerto Vallarta Mexico via Los Angeles.   I arrived here yesterday and will look for clues regarding where jack may have gone to meet mexicans for male-male encounters.  I feel this is the best starting point for my journey.  If I don't find it here, I will travel northword.  I shall keep you all posted.   manila_rocks

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
Re: ennis trailer - closeups of television set?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2006, 08:40 AM »
I am wondering about the possible significance of the repeated, lingering flashes of the TV set in the otherwise sparsely furnished trailer.

Is the author/and or director is attempting to signify that the TV is a "window to the soul" or "a pathway to the outer world(outside the trailer)".

It simply must be more than a distraction for his otherwise lonely, empty existence after the divorce and loss of jack.

Other thoughts on why a mega movie would focus so much on a silly TV?

p.s.  I have flown to Puerto Vallarta Mexico via Los Angeles.   I arrived here yesterday and will look for clues regarding where jack may have gone to meet mexicans for male-male encounters.  I feel this is the best starting point for my journey.  If I don't find it here, I will travel northword.  I shall keep you all posted.   manila_rocks

manila_rocks, you have me completely stumped on this one!  The only thing I can say is that the screenplay mentions the TV on top of a milk crate and the other sparse trailer furnishings to emphasize Ennis' poverty.

Offline rabjr1

• Ennis
Re: ennis trailer - closeups of television set?
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2006, 09:21 AM »
channelling Freud: (with thick Austrian accent) "sometimes a TV is just a TV"

On the other hand, what could be further lonelier out in the plains than a trailer with a TV, NO CABLE, maybe it doesn't get a good signal, it could even be broken.  I can just picture Ennis sitting in front of it like he was in the family scene, with a few empty beer cans lying around watching TV by himself until he gets so tired he stumbles somewhat into be after waking up with a start realizing he fell asleep again in his chair.

That sound lonely enough?  I could go on but.....enjoy Mexico.  Play safe.  Buy a T-shirt.  I wear a medium.  hint hint
RAB aka Raoul The Really Rotten