Author Topic: SAG Awards thread (Sunday - January 29)  (Read 120561 times)

Offline francis.shim

• aka Jack Nasty who loves you!!!
  • Alma
  • Brokeback Mountain, I swear...
Re: LIVE THREAD - SAG awards Sunday - January 29, 7 pm Eastern
« Reply #300 on: Jan 29, 2006, 10:02 PM »
The Actor goes to

Crash

NO NO NO NO NO

Well, time to call it quits... I guess the SAG people know something that we don't... and I have to say... I am quite disappointed by Heath's behaviour.  I wonder how Ang Lee and crew are taking it?

Peace,
Frank

Offline BBMfan1

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #301 on: Jan 29, 2006, 10:03 PM »
What is the deal with this Ensemble introduction. The idea that the actors IN the ensemble introduce the film they're in and say how wonderful their own performance was is very weird in my opinion. Maybe Heath felt that way too and it made him nervous and he tried to joke it off?
I definitely thought it was weird all night the way they introduced the ensemble picture cast.

Jack in Maine

I thought the EXACT same thing and thought that was odd.  I can't believe how profoundly effected I have been by this film.  I have never watched an awards show and been so sad for a film not winning.

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #302 on: Jan 29, 2006, 10:03 PM »
The Actor goes to

Crash

NO NO NO NO NO

Well, time to call it quits... I guess the SAG people know something that we don't... and I have to say... I am quite disappointed by Heath's behaviour.  I wonder how Ang Lee and crew are taking it?

Peace,
Frank

BDM!
La dictature c'est ''ferme ta geule'', la démocratie c'est ''cause toujours''
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #303 on: Jan 29, 2006, 10:03 PM »
What is this Heath thing? what happened, please tell Ethan...

They just could not concentrate on reading the teleprompter and Heath kept interrupted himself and they just both giggled and laughed when introducing BBM
Remembering Pierre (chameau) 1960-2015, a "Capricorn bro and crazy Frog Uncle from the North Pole." You are missed

Offline Jack_ME

• My philosophy
  • Lureen
  • Jack in Maine
« Reply #304 on: Jan 29, 2006, 10:03 PM »

Another annoying thing is that three of the nominees were IMITATING actual people......NOT bringing a character to life. Those three ALL had the benefit of watching hours and hours of video of the people they imitated....so how is that such a great acting feat...compared to bringing life to a character?

I do like PSH, and DS, and JP......but come on!

Jack in Maine
MY PHILOSOPHY DISCLAIMER: All my comments concern the MOVIE and the content and inferences obtained there. All interpretations, projections, speculations, and opinions about plot and characters are based SOLELY on the content of the movie. They can not be argued or debated by quoting the printed short story. A comparison of the two media is an interesting discussion but must be a separate discussion.

Offline CoraJack

• Lureen
« Reply #305 on: Jan 29, 2006, 10:04 PM »
What is the deal with this Ensemble introduction. The idea that the actors IN the ensemble introduce the film they're in and say how wonderful their own performance was is very weird in my opinion. Maybe Heath felt that way too and it made him nervous and he tried to joke it off?
I definitely thought it was weird all night the way they introduced the ensemble picture cast.

Jack in Maine

I thought the EXACT same thing and thought that was odd.  I can't believe how profoundly effected I have been by this film.  I have never watched an awards show and been so sad for a film not winning.

The idea with the SAG picture presentations is that the person who is the "heart" of the film introduces it. So I guess they thought both Jake and Heath were BOTH the heart of the film. After their performance I think that maybe they would have been better off having the sheep do the intro.

Offline Toadily

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
  • "Friend, we got ourselves a situation here"
« Reply #306 on: Jan 29, 2006, 10:05 PM »
What is this Heath thing? what happened, please tell Ethan...

They just could not concentrate on reading the teleprompter and Heath kept interrupted himself and they just both giggled and laughed when introducing BBM

What...?  Ok well it sounds like Ang Lee BEST DIRECTOR

"it's Love, Blockhead!"
-Pierre Marivaux  The Triumph of Love

"To love an idea is to love it a little more than one should."  -Jean Rostand

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #307 on: Jan 29, 2006, 10:06 PM »
I just watched again on tape. Jake first started saying something like "tonight the fifth film nominate for Best Ensemble cast is Brokeback Mountain" and Heath just started laughing for no apparent reason. I have no clue why it was funny.
Remembering Pierre (chameau) 1960-2015, a "Capricorn bro and crazy Frog Uncle from the North Pole." You are missed

Offline Jack_ME

• My philosophy
  • Lureen
  • Jack in Maine
« Reply #308 on: Jan 29, 2006, 10:06 PM »
Please don't say THEY...it was Heath...to me Jake looked serously annoyed with Heath. And I llike Heath so this not biased.
Jack in Maine

I will watch it again, but right now I have to disagree.  It looked like both of them were cutting it up together.

Naw...Jake had nervous confusion at Heath's behaviour, especially as it kept up. Incidentally, I DO NOT think Heath's hand on hip was an intentional fag imitation. I think that part was his own nervous energy. But I've been wrong before!
Jack in Maine
MY PHILOSOPHY DISCLAIMER: All my comments concern the MOVIE and the content and inferences obtained there. All interpretations, projections, speculations, and opinions about plot and characters are based SOLELY on the content of the movie. They can not be argued or debated by quoting the printed short story. A comparison of the two media is an interesting discussion but must be a separate discussion.

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #309 on: Jan 29, 2006, 10:09 PM »
I think maybe Heath was just nervous. We all know that Heath can't keep himself still.

Offline Jack_ME

• My philosophy
  • Lureen
  • Jack in Maine
« Reply #310 on: Jan 29, 2006, 10:09 PM »

Jack in Maine

The idea with the SAG picture presentations is that the person who is the "heart" of the film introduces it. So I guess they thought both Jake and Heath were BOTH the heart of the film. After their performance I think that maybe they would have been better off having the sheep do the intro.

Still a weird concept in my mind....if ANYONE connected with the nominated picture should be doing the introduction of ensemble cast then it should be the director! NOT any of the actors IN the ensemble. Weird weird...and I thought that for every film.

Jack in Maine

Offline stationbbm

• Lureen
« Reply #311 on: Jan 29, 2006, 10:10 PM »
Hugely disappointing!  While I feel certain that BBM will garner plenty of Oscar nominations, this puts a whole different light on who will likely win...It surprised me to see Reese beat out Fellicity Huffman...Give me a freakin' break with the Paul Giamatti win, made absolutely NO sense as I even saw Cinderella Man and he did NOT come close to the Gyllenhaal performance...the Capote dude continues to ride a tidal wave of momentum that will carry him into the Oscars...I never had CRASH winning for Best Picture...If that gets the nod for Best Picture at the Oscars, this could be a show-stopper for BBM.  I certainly hope that the SAGs are not a precursor of Oscar night....

Hangin' the tux up...no after party for me...sorry but the beluga caviar and French champagne will have to be put on ice...

stationbbm

Offline sweetlilg

• "Jack, I swear..."
  • Ennis
  • Could be like this.. just like this - ALWAYS!
« Reply #312 on: Jan 29, 2006, 10:10 PM »
the clip of their presentation is available on the internet now?
"Sometimes I miss you SO MUCH I can hardly stand it" - Jack <3

RIP Heath ♥ Heath, I swear...

BrokeBack Mountain is the BEST! It has won the Oscar of my heart!

Offline BBMfan1

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #313 on: Jan 29, 2006, 10:10 PM »
Please don't say THEY...it was Heath...to me Jake looked serously annoyed with Heath. And I llike Heath so this not biased.
Jack in Maine

I will watch it again, but right now I have to disagree.  It looked like both of them were cutting it up together.

Naw...Jake had nervous confusion at Heath's behaviour, especially as it kept up. Incidentally, I DO NOT think Heath's hand on hip was an intentional fag imitation. I think that part was his own nervous energy. But I've been wrong before!
Jack in Maine

No, my friend...he was attempting to "fem" his delivery up.   It was a jab at effeminate guys......that's why Jake was taken off guard.  Heath needs to go to political correctness school

Offline jakeofrome

• Randall Malone
  • Lureen
« Reply #314 on: Jan 29, 2006, 10:12 PM »
Well said that the actors are NOT the characters.
I was just browsing a forum of Jake fans and apparently had so much fan watching he and Heath introducing the movie ("hilarious- best part of the entire show").
Weird how perspectives and perceptions can be so different.
"I loved it. Shocking. Surprising. The guy who financed my movie did that too. He's a very mild mannered chap from Minnesota and we'd just screened the latest cut of my film and he asked if I wanted to see it. I was thinking, 'OK, this really square, straight guy,' and he showed me this movie. It's amazing.

"They're really good those boys and they did a great job. It's very brave of them."

Offline stationbbm

• Lureen
« Reply #315 on: Jan 29, 2006, 10:13 PM »
I think maybe Heath was just nervous. We all know that Heath can't keep himself still.

I'm with you Ethan.  Too, I think it was Heath's not so subtle way of letting everyone know that he's fed up with all the mundane questions about the tent scene, number of times to film the kissing scenes, etc.  I think Heath would prefer for more thought provoking questions to be asked about the film instead of the shallow ones.  i.e., everyone needs to view the Charlie Rose interview...lots of depth there.

stationbbm

Offline BruceinNewYork

• Cassie
« Reply #316 on: Jan 29, 2006, 10:14 PM »
Heath just isn't into to the whole PR thing. Period. It doesn't matter what the interview is he just always looks a little awkward and slightly annoyed. I thought it was a really stupid format to have the actors from the film introducing their own performances especially when they have to read that incredibly stiled copy. That is what he was problem goofing about. And the leaning over...well... he  wasn't the only one having problems reading the teleprompter. The guy doesn't like bright lights.  You think he chooses to wear those dorky shades during all those premieres and press junkets 'cause it looks cool.  Wrong!  It's cause the freaking lights are bright! 

Jake is a Hollywood baby and he knew how to be more polished and how to play the B.S. game from birth. Heath just couldn't give a crud!  And for that I think he is just the coolest!!

Offline Jack_ME

• My philosophy
  • Lureen
  • Jack in Maine
« Reply #317 on: Jan 29, 2006, 10:16 PM »
Jack in Maine

Jack in Maine

No, my friend...he was attempting to "fem" his delivery up.   It was a jab at effeminate guys......that's why Jake was taken off guard.  Heath needs to go to political correctness school

Maybe, but I doubt it. When he was on Leno on Jan 17 and when also, but less so on Oprah Friday, he was very fidgity and and he crossed and uncrossed his arms  and legs many times. I think he has a high leverl of nervous energy. Which unfortunately spilled over into his presentation dialogue and instead of gaining control of it, he totally misread Jake and tried to go with jokiness.

Living proff that Actors should not introduce themselves!

Jack in Maine

JerBear418720

« Reply #318 on: Jan 29, 2006, 10:16 PM »
OK, even animals know a travesty when they see one - just as the Ensemble Acting award was announced, one of my cats peed on the couch - I swear, the absolute truth!

Is it just me or was the introduction to BBM very jarringly disrespectful and weird?

Offline BBMfan1

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #319 on: Jan 29, 2006, 10:17 PM »
Bruce...

What you say makes sense but it still doesn't play well to a lot of people.  I'm sure it hurt his oscar potential.

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #320 on: Jan 29, 2006, 10:18 PM »
Hugely disappointing!  While I feel certain that BBM will garner plenty of Oscar nominations, this puts a whole different light on who will likely win...It surprised me to see Reese beat out Fellicity Huffman...Give me a freakin' break with the Paul Giamatti win, made absolutely NO sense as I even saw Cinderella Man and he did NOT come close to the Gyllenhaal performance...the Capote dude continues to ride a tidal wave of momentum that will carry him into the Oscars...I never had CRASH winning for Best Picture...If that gets the nod for Best Picture at the Oscars, this could be a show-stopper for BBM.  I certainly hope that the SAGs are not a precursor of Oscar night....

Hangin' the tux up...no after party for me...sorry but the beluga caviar and French champagne will have to be put on ice...

stationbbm

My bet, now, BBM will get plenty of Oscars nominations and awards.

No awards for the actors!  America is not ready.  Sorry guys!  >:(

This so called "gay" Movie... Well you know...

At least please, one Award for Michelle!  Sob!  :'(

I'm so p*ssed off!

Is this 21st Century?

La dictature c'est ''ferme ta geule'', la démocratie c'est ''cause toujours''
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline CoraJack

• Lureen
« Reply #321 on: Jan 29, 2006, 10:18 PM »
I think that they are probably just both sick of the whole thing. The movie was supposed to be an art house film--it was not supposed to ride the wave like this so to speak. Still, I would think that there would be some respect for the film even though they are tired of it.  This is show-biz, guys....get with the program. That being said, I think Heath was the instigator for the entire debaucle. Jake had to do something...and maybe laughing was the only way to handle it.

It surprises me that people on other boards are saying it was the best part of the show.  I assume that people on the "Jake" board are younger girls and probably just giddy that they even got to see him at all.

Offline BBMfan1

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #322 on: Jan 29, 2006, 10:19 PM »
OK, even animals know a travesty when they see one - just as the Ensemble Acting award was announced, one of my cats peed on the couch - I swear, the absolute truth!

Is it just me or was the introduction to BBM very jarringly disrespectful and weird?

Yes, JerBear, without a doubt, in my opinion disrespectful.  I was offended.

Offline jakeofrome

• Randall Malone
  • Lureen
« Reply #323 on: Jan 29, 2006, 10:20 PM »
Heath just isn't into to the whole PR thing. Period. It doesn't matter what the interview is he just always looks a little awkward and slightly annoyed. I thought it was a really stupid format to have the actors from the film introducing their own performances especially when they have to read that incredibly stiled copy. That is what he was problem goofing about. And the leaning over...well... he  wasn't the only one having problems reading the teleprompter. The guy doesn't like bright lights.  You think he chooses to wear those dorky shades during all those premieres and press junkets 'cause it looks cool.  Wrong!  It's cause the freaking lights are bright! 

Jake is a Hollywood baby and he knew how to be more polished and how to play the B.S. game from birth. Heath just couldn't give a crud!  And for that I think he is just the coolest!!

I shall just ride my disappointment now to get a couple of things I've been feeling since a while off my chest. I'm totally annoyed by Heath - sometimes I can's stand him so much that I'm even annoyed by him playing Ennis. And somewhere deep in my gay mind I can't help thinking that all his story with Michelle was a sort of an escape for him from being on the set of that "gay cowboy" movie. But maybe I'm just as drunk as he was tonite - so (to use Jake's words in Jarhead) I'll shut the f*** up.
"I loved it. Shocking. Surprising. The guy who financed my movie did that too. He's a very mild mannered chap from Minnesota and we'd just screened the latest cut of my film and he asked if I wanted to see it. I was thinking, 'OK, this really square, straight guy,' and he showed me this movie. It's amazing.

"They're really good those boys and they did a great job. It's very brave of them."

Offline CoraJack

• Lureen
« Reply #324 on: Jan 29, 2006, 10:22 PM »

Well, in that case if I was a Hollywood producer I wouldn't want him in my next flick. Maybe he needs Xanax or something...but something to get a grip!

Offline Jack_ME

• My philosophy
  • Lureen
  • Jack in Maine
« Reply #325 on: Jan 29, 2006, 10:22 PM »
Heath just isn't into to the whole PR thing. Period. It doesn't matter what the interview is he just always looks a little awkward and slightly annoyed. I thought it was a really stupid format to have the actors from the film introducing their own performances especially when they have to read that incredibly stiled copy. That is what he was problem goofing about. And the leaning over...well... he  wasn't the only one having problems reading the TelePrompter. The guy doesn't like bright lights.  You think he chooses to wear those dorky shades during all those premieres and press junkets 'cause it looks cool.  Wrong!  It's cause the freaking lights are bright! 

Well maybe not THE coolest......he did flub it up. But I agree with your take on the whole thing. Stupid stupid stupid to have the actors introduce themselves and ensemble. The leaning over and the hand on hip were both no act but nervous energy, concentrating on trying to read......as you say, very florid scripted words, and still speaking into the shared microphone. Too bad. But WAY surprising that the film won NONE of the awards it was nominated for. Sad. I'm dissappointed big time....can you imagine how they fell? Michelle? Jake? and Heath........and Anne and the rest of cast. Initially I thought it was a good sign that Randy Quaid actually started the show, and that BBM table was right there in front. Maybe someone else thought as we do and was as surprised at the results.

Good night all,
Jack in Maine

Offline rabjr1

• Ennis
« Reply #326 on: Jan 29, 2006, 10:23 PM »
I guess it means that Hollywood is so in the closet they can't even vote for a movie like this. 

But on the other hand you'll never go broke underestimating the intelligence of the SAG.

It's too bad that this movie didn't get any SAG awards, methinks that there will never be another film like this EVER.

Oscars should go as GG and SAG.

Well the forum goes on
RAB aka Raoul The Really Rotten

Offline BBMfan1

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #327 on: Jan 29, 2006, 10:23 PM »
Jake...I'm with you.   I've seen all the interviews.  I don't like how they act like it was such a HUGE ordeal to play the gay scenes.  Heath, more than Jake.  When he is asked the questions, he has the perfect opportunity to elevate the conversation to a higher level.

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #328 on: Jan 29, 2006, 10:24 PM »
Many of us have affected by the BBM and we should be proud of their accomplishment.

Don't put more burden on them. We love BBM for their performances in the movie.

Offline CoraJack

• Lureen
« Reply #329 on: Jan 29, 2006, 10:24 PM »

I shall just ride my disappointment now to get a couple of things I've been feeling since a while off my chest. I'm totally annoyed by Heath - sometimes I can's stand him so much that I'm even annoyed by him playing Ennis. And somewhere deep in my gay mind I can't help thinking that all his story with Michelle was a sort of an escape for him from being on the set of that "gay cowboy" movie. But maybe I'm just as drunk as he was tonite - so (to use Jake's words in Jarhead) I'll shut the f*** up.

Well, I'm not a gay male, but heterosexual female and I feel the same as you do... I also think that the Heath/Michelle "thing" was an escape. I do not think they will stay together for long. If you look at Heath's past relationships she is just not his type.  Too bad for the baby, but I think this relationship is going to dump pretty quick.