Author Topic: MUSTSEE - Charlie rose interviewed with Heath & Ang  (Read 37412 times)

Offline Bronco

• Cassie
Re: MUSTSEE - Charlie rose interviewed with Heath & Ang
« Reply #30 on: Feb 22, 2006, 05:20 PM »
Heellluuuooooo...

i opened the link for the Rose interview, but only get a black box for quicktime.  I'm using a mac, and nothing happens.  i tried hitting PLAY, but still nothing, even reloaded the page doesn't help....

i saw the interview in dec. and i have been looking for a copy every since.  So any suggestions?

thanks
bronco

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
  • No longer using this account: frog123
« Reply #31 on: Feb 22, 2006, 05:21 PM »
Heellluuuooooo...

i opened the link for the Rose interview, but only get a black box for quicktime.  I'm using a mac, and nothing happens.  i tried hitting PLAY, but still nothing, even reloaded the page doesn't help....

i saw the interview in dec. and i have been looking for a copy every since.  So any suggestions?

thanks
bronco

yep, once its open, clic on play/pause and wait for the file to upload, it is a very long file and takes its time, even with broadband!
Support bacteria, they are the only culture some people have!

If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I.
~ Michel Eyquem de Montaigne (1533-1592) ~ (Thankx to gimmejack)

Offline frenchcda

• Laments of the hearts
  • Ennis
« Reply #32 on: Mar 06, 2006, 07:50 PM »
Like backtobro, I've tried several times to watch this interview online and it just ran a little while and then stopped.   Troubled by this, I did a google search and found a link where you can download it via BT...In such a way, you don't have to be interrupted by stops and stars...and can save it into your collection of BBM Interviews.  I already did since this interview is the best one I've ever seen so far...very detailed and to the point.

The quality of the clip is high and about 232 MB.  Enjoy~~

http://www.mininova.org/tor/172079
I cas you haven't notice there is no one to seed this file, is there any other pace where one can download this awesoem file for KEEP SAKE   please and thank you for your effort, still bawlling my eyes out after seeing too many music montage!
       what is a belief if not a lack of knowing

My wounds are deeper than your desires

www.wordsofpeace.com

Offline androphile

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #33 on: Mar 11, 2006, 03:15 PM »
I desperately want to see or read this interview. Been a fan of Charlie Rose for years and am hopelessly in love with BBM, story and film. Unfortunately, I'm stuck with a dial-up Web connection for the time being and downloading this interview would probably literally take all day. Does anyone know of a text-only transcript of the interview available online? Thanks for your time. Love to all my fellow Brokies!
You come back and see us again.

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #34 on: Mar 11, 2006, 03:19 PM »
I desperately want to see or read this interview. Been a fan of Charlie Rose for years and am hopelessly in love with BBM, story and film. Unfortunately, I'm stuck with a dial-up Web connection for the time being and downloading this interview would probably literally take all day. Does anyone know of a text-only transcript of the interview available online? Thanks for your time. Love to all my fellow Brokies!

Here we go:

http://www.heathledgercentral.com/bbcharlieroseinterview.html
La dictature c'est ''ferme ta geule'', la démocratie c'est ''cause toujours''
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline androphile

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #35 on: Mar 11, 2006, 04:36 PM »
Thanks, chameau, but this link just goes to the regular (i.e., visual) interview. I tried searching around on the rest of the heathledgercentral.com website but couldn't find anything. I'm just looking for plain text, no pictures.
Thanks!
You come back and see us again.

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #36 on: Mar 11, 2006, 04:38 PM »
I never heard of anything in writing aount this.  When our Queen of Brokeback will be on line, she may have something.
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #37 on: Mar 12, 2006, 11:28 AM »
I'm just looking for plain text, no pictures.
Thanks!

Not sure about that...I looked around but could not find anything...maybe someone will be able to help ??? Anyone ???

If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I.

Offline pichayaaznbabe

• Cassie
« Reply #38 on: Mar 12, 2006, 09:11 PM »
frog123, Jack Nasty loves ya! ;)

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #39 on: Mar 13, 2006, 05:59 PM »

Offline ennis_lover

• Cassie
« Reply #40 on: Jul 09, 2006, 11:35 PM »
Heath Ledger And Ang Lee Brokeback Mountain interview with Charlie Rose Video - 12/7/05

http://www.heathledgercentral.com/bbcharlieroseinterview.html

Who loves me now??
thanxssssssssssssssssssssssss sooooooooooooooo much ur awesome
                                                 ennis_lover
Don't try and fool me no more, Ennis; I know what it means! Jack Twist. Jack Nasty! You didn't go up there to fish!

Offline Nikita111

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #41 on: Dec 09, 2007, 11:42 AM »
the site is down   ^*)

Offline freetraveller

• Alma
« Reply #42 on: Dec 11, 2007, 12:24 PM »
the site is down   ^*)

Unfortunately Heathledgercentral closed down a long time ago.
But I think you can still watch the interview on youtube:
try this link:

(I found it with google but I can't try if it works, because I'm at work, and youtube is disabled on my work PC).

If you're interested, there is also a way to download clips from youtube. You need to install the FLV player on your PC, then go to http://keepvid.com, enter the youtube link for the video clip you want in the field on keepvid home page, under "Download videos DIRECT from most video sites" & follow the instructions on the keepvid site.

I love that Charlie Rose interview, by the way!!!

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #43 on: Dec 11, 2007, 03:41 PM »
Looks like the youtube link is good.  Thanks Paola  ^f^
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline freetraveller

• Alma
« Reply #44 on: Dec 11, 2007, 05:00 PM »
No problem, Pierre  8)  :)

Offline Nikita111

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #45 on: Dec 12, 2007, 04:37 AM »
Unfortunately Heathledgercentral closed down a long time ago.
But I think you can still watch the interview on youtube:
try this link:

(I found it with google but I can't try if it works, because I'm at work, and youtube is disabled on my work PC).

If you're interested, there is also a way to download clips from youtube. You need to install the FLV player on your PC, then go to http://keepvid.com, enter the youtube link for the video clip you want in the ield on keepvid home page, under "Download videos DIRECT from most video sites" & follow the instructions on the keepvid site.

I love that Charlie Rose interview, by the way!!!

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!     ^f^  I am dowloading it now

Offline freetraveller

• Alma
« Reply #46 on: Dec 12, 2007, 09:22 AM »
You're welcome, Nikita.
Happy viewing,
Paola

Offline jetzenpolis

• Alma Jr.
  • jetzenpolis
Charlie Rose Show: Heath Ledger Remembered (1/22/2008);
« Reply #47 on: Jan 28, 2008, 08:29 PM »
You can also see the show on the Charlie Rose website, too:

Charlie Rose Show: A remembrance of Heath Ledger 1/22/2008
(excerpts from 12/07/2005 interview)
www.charlierose.com/guests/heath-ledger

Charlie Rose Show: A conversation about the film "Brokeback Mountain" 12/07/2005
(interviews: Ang Lee, Heath Ledger)
www.charlierose.com/shows/2005/12/07/1/a-conversation-about-the-film-brokeback-mountain

If you can't download the Flash player, you can watch it on YouTube, on the link freetraveller gives.

...you can still watch the interview on youtube:
try this link:

Thank you, freetraveller, for saying you can find the interview on YouTube.  I could only watch it on YouTube.  I can't get the Flash player from the Charlie Rose Show on the computer at my local public library Internet terminal.

"A remembrance of Heath Ledger" 1/22/2008 provides a short excerpt of Heath Ledger's comments on the earlier 12/07/2005 Charlie Rose interview

In the distance between what you "try to believe" and what you "know": never trust what you try to make yourself believe; trust what your intuition knows.

Offline jetzenpolis

• Alma Jr.
  • jetzenpolis
In the remembrance interview (taken from the longer 12/05/2005 Brokeback Mountain Ang Lee, Heath Ledger interview), Heath Ledger talks about Ang Lee's response to his nervous use of his hands while gesturing while he struggles to speak.  Ang Lee told him: "be still."

Heath Ledger said the advice helped him.  He also said that being in the Rocky Mountains also stilled his mind because of their natural beauty.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the distance between what you "try to believe" and what you "know": never trust what you try to make yourself believe; trust what your intuition knows.

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #49 on: Jan 28, 2008, 09:12 PM »
Thanks for the links jetzenpolis   ^f^
« Last Edit: Jan 28, 2008, 11:49 PM by chameau »
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #50 on: Jan 29, 2008, 09:48 AM »
Thanks for the links jetzenpolis   ^f^

I echo this.  Thanks, jetzenpolis!

Offline jetzenpolis

• Alma Jr.
  • jetzenpolis
« Reply #51 on: Jan 29, 2008, 08:51 PM »
A couple of more points taken from the Charlie Rose Ang Lee/Heath Ledger interview (shown on YouTube):

about 12 minutes into the interview: Ang Lee discusses how he sees the characters of Ennis and Jack

about 47 minutes into the interview: Heath Ledger describes how he had to "mature" as both actor and human being to play Ennis

Ang Lee sees Ennis as representing the "masculine" Old West but not as a John Wayne type hero.  Ennis has the "melancholy" of the post nineteenth century West which is no longer a wild, wide open frontier.  As a result of this melancholy, Ennis is "vulnerable."  Jack, who is a completely different character, is the other great American hero, the "romantic dreamer."

I'm glad you like the links chameau and tpe!

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #52 on: Jan 30, 2008, 08:53 AM »
The link and (more so) your comments are greatly appreciated, jetzenpolis. 

I love this one the most -- so endearing.

Ang Lee told him: "be still."

Offline Raisa

• Jack + Ennis

Thank you jetzenpolis! This truly is 'must see'!
”It is said some lives are linked across time. Connected by an ancient calling that echoes through the ages. Destiny.”

Prince of Persia
---------------------
"Jack, I swear -"  he said, though Jack had never asked him to swear anything and was himself not the swearing kind.

Offline jetzenpolis

• Alma Jr.
  • jetzenpolis
The link and (more so) your comments are greatly appreciated, jetzenpolis. 

I love this one the most -- so endearing.

Ang Lee told him: "be still."

Thank you jetzenpolis! This truly is 'must see'!

Yes, tpe, Ennis, I love that thought about "stillness", too.  It's one more perspective that Heath Ledger took toward Brokeback Mountain (and perhaps life, too) that makes me stop.  I simply admire it and the sort of person he must be for having been able to see things that way.

Ennis seems to have had so little "stillness."  (Perhaps Heath Ledger, too, it seems.) 

Carmilla, I completely agree with you that the Charlie Rose interview with Ang Lee and Heath Ledger is a "must see" interview.  It provides a lot of perspective on how the director and one of its two lead male actors saw the characters, themselves, in their interpretations of them.  (Annie Proulx thought that Heath Ledger's performance was outstanding.  She said that when she first saw Heath Ledger on the screen, in the movie, she felt she was seeing Ennis come to life before her very eyes.  She's also reported as having said that she learned new things from Heath Ledger about Ennis that she had never thought of before.  She admitted having the "sour grapes" of bitterness toward the Oscars for not having awarded Heath Ledger an Oscar for "best male actor.")

I'm still amazed Heath Ledger's portrayal of Ennis del Mar continues to be so moving.  Even just listening to his voice (as Ennis), I hear emotions in it that I'm simply not able to pin down precisely. 

Ennis fears this "thing" between him and Jack.  The "thing" for Ennis, of course, is the strong spontaneous emotion that moved Ennis - whom he had not seen for four years since they came down from Brokeback Mountain - to suddenly, with a look to see if no one was watching, to "risk" kissing Jack while they were at the bottom of the landing steps leading up to Ennis's & Alma's apartment over the laundromat in Riverton, WY.

It's as if Ennis can't excuse himself for having "let go" of himself long enough to let himself follow his emotions for Jack.  He tells Jack later, when they are together alone, that if the "thing" ever catches them in the wrong place, at the wrong time, they are "dead."  (Ennis literally fears that if their homosexuality is discovered - especially at an intimate moment - homophobic vigilantes will identify them and they will become targets marked for death.)

Listening to Heath Ledger says these words, the "vulnerability" in his voice can be heard.  The tone of it envelops me in the sudden poignancy of his emotions at the moment he says them to Jack.

Ennis cares about Jack.  He cares about staying alive.  He cares about their being able to have as much of a life together as he thinks they will be able to ("realistically") have - while remaining safe, hidden from the suspicions of eagerly homophobic "vigilantes" - who will have an overexcited, rapacious willingness to chase them down, torture and, finally, murder them. 

There are some people who like to be vigilantes.  Anger stirs their blood.  Such people always know who it is whom society doesn't care about.  Society usually doesn't care very much about what happens to those it finds "deviant" (or even those it finds merely a "nuisance").  No questions will be asked if they are gone.  The killers are seen as trash collectors who have come in the darkness to remove the trash.

It is perhaps because Ennis is so torn between wishing to be happy, wishing to be with Jack, and wishing to remain within the "safe" confines of conformity (to heterosexual social norms, if not all social "norms"), that his emotions are so poignant. 

Or, are they "poignant" because he feels (fears?) Jack won't "understand"?  Ennis seems to be asking Jack to "prove" that he cares about them by simply accepting his (Ennis's) fears at face value.

Perhaps Jack's emotions can never be as "vulnerable," as "poignant," as Ennis's (with Ennis perhaps interpreting, misinterpreting his emotions as more "beautiful" because of their vulnerability, poignancy).  But Jack's emotions can't possibly be as "vulnerable."  Jack is less afraid.

In American culture, a "romantic dreamer" is often criticized for a lack of "realism."  Ennis sees Jack as a "romantic dreamer."  But when it comes to matters of the heart, who is the "realist," who is the "dreamer"?  Jack is a dreamer with the realism of the need to be a rebel (against the rules as they are).

In Ennis's dreams of Jack, at the end of Annie Proulx's short story, Ennis dreams of the young Jack, as he was on Brokeback Mountain, with wavy hair and buck teeth.  A "can of beans with a dirty spoon sticking out of it" sitting on a log mars the reverie of Ennis's dreams with its "garish" appearance.  Did the mature Jack mar Ennis's dreams of what Ennis thought his life should be?)  Annie Proulx finds Ennis - in his dreams and memories of Jack at the end of the story -  somewhere in between what he wishes to "believe" and what he "knows."

"Stillness" might have brought Ennis to a realization of the decisions he had to make.  It might have given him the clarity - and, thus, the courage - to make the right ones.

« Last Edit: Jan 31, 2008, 08:46 PM by jetzenpolis »

Offline Qrious

• Cassie
« Reply #55 on: Dec 13, 2015, 11:27 AM »
Hi, hi

Guess I'm 10 years late. Not that I had just seen this movie, I'm a huge Ang Lee fan - had seen BBM ten years ago, but I'm just discovering to my amazement the huge Internet posts, forums and resources devoted just to this movie. Awesome!

I'm trying to read all reviews, articles, interviews, media coverage etc on the film and its creators and casts. Stumbled on this thread on the Charlie Rose interview and I'm very keen to watch or read a transcript of the interview. Unfortunately the various links here now don't seem to work as they all lead me to a page that says the page or server does not exist. Very disappointed. Is there any way I can get the interview without having to buy the DVD from Amazon?