Author Topic: What did Jack/Ennis say in 2nd tent scene?  (Read 54468 times)

Offline bbmlover

• Jack
  • Jack - I swear......
What did Jack/Ennis say in 2nd tent scene?
« on: Jan 29, 2006, 08:33 AM »

I have seen BBM 3x now, and still I'am kind of confused about what Jack said in 2nd tent scene.
The 2nd time i saw, and even now i think Jack said "i swear, i swear" (which i took as "i swear, i swear, i love you Ennis") "its alright".   So immediately i related this to last scene where Ennis says "Jack, I swear" (which again i took as "Jack, i swear, i love you)

Am i right here?
If wrong, Please some one let me know the correct dialogue in 2nd tent scene.

"Jack, I swear" - Ennis

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
Re: What did Jack/Ennis say in 2nd tent scene?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2006, 08:39 AM »
Hello bbmlover, welcome.

I think the consensus is that Jack did say "it's alright it's alright"  Some said "I'm sorry" from Ennis.

HERE is a topic which you may find some answers.
Remembering Pierre (chameau) 1960-2015, a "Capricorn bro and crazy Frog Uncle from the North Pole." You are missed

Offline bbmlover

• Jack
  • Jack - I swear......
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2006, 08:54 AM »
Thank You Ethan

Got more info on the  link you gave.

I'am new to this site - just got registered yesterday. Wow it is really great to be here to talk to people who feel the same about the movie.
BBM has swooped me off. I have sincerly fallen in love with this movie.

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2006, 08:59 AM »
Thank You Ethan

Got more info on the  link you gave.

I'am new to this site - just got registered yesterday. Wow it is really great to be here to talk to people who feel the same about the movie.
BBM has swooped me off. I have sincerly fallen in love with this movie.

You are welcome. As you wander around in the forum, you will find a lot of great posts from people who share their stories and thought on this terrific movie. Again welcome and hope to read more posts from you. Enjoy your time here.
Remembering Pierre (chameau) 1960-2015, a "Capricorn bro and crazy Frog Uncle from the North Pole." You are missed

Offline Titus

• Lureen
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2006, 03:05 PM »
Having seen the movie for the third time in a week this afternoon I paid specail attention to the second tent scene.  With both hands to my ears (looking no doubt like Mickey Mouse sitting in the third row!) I am positive I only heard Jack say "It's alright" THREE times.  I had agreed before with those who thought Ennis had apologised on entering the tent, but with hat in hand and his general demeanour, he didn't need to say "I'm sorry"  it was obvious.  Cheers, Titus.
"Holding on to this moment of love and forgiveness mediated by this beautiful, loving boy.  Whose heart and soul had passed through the shadows and remained unsullied, undefeated."  The Redemption of Ennis Del Mar

Offline BBM Fan

• Ennis
« Reply #5 on: Dec 19, 2006, 09:01 PM »
It looks like this thread ended a year ago, but I'm new here and am just reading it.

I muted my TV once & watched the closed captions all the way through to catch every word - since they mumble.  While it wasn't totally accurate, it did clear up a lot of words for me.

In the SNIT the captions said "I'm sorry, I'm sorry, It's all right".  I assumed that Jack said all of that & couldn't figure out why he was apologizing except for possibly dragging Ennis into something he was reluctant to do.  I never thought it was Ennis apologizing - know I've got to watch it for the 15th time!  You are probably right - that makes more sense. They barely move their lips, so it's difficult to tell.

I'd be interested in other's thoughts.

Offline NoReins

• Jack + Ennis
  • Redlined it all the way
« Reply #6 on: Dec 20, 2006, 02:56 AM »
Hi BBM Fan #$#

First time I saw the movie I was convinced Ennis said "I'm sorry" once or twice when he entered the tent - sorry for being rough the night before, sorry for riding off without a word in the morning and, maybe most of all, sorry for not knowing what to do...asking Jack to show him, if you like.

However, I no longer believe that to be the case. Now, I'm almost certain that it's only Jack who speaks and that he says "It's alright" (or "s'alright") three times. Try saying it...your lips don't need to move to do so. Watching really closely, Jack has his mouth slightly open every time the words are heard, while Ennis's mouth stays shut, making it almost impossible for it to have been Ennis who spoke, regardless of what the subtitles say.
He will be eternally missed, but he will never be forgotten

Christopher Nolan, accepting the Best Supporting Actor Golden Globe on Heath's behalf.

He was, as an actor and a professional and a human being, one of a kind

Charles Roven, accepting Heath's BAFTA.

This award tonight would have humbly validated Heath's quiet determination to be truly accepted by you all here — his peers within an industry he so loved.

Kim Ledger, accepting Heath's Oscar.

Offline aintfoolin

• Ennis
  • " You and him did'nt go up there to fish"...
« Reply #7 on: Dec 20, 2006, 07:15 AM »
I hear Ennis saying "I'm sorry" twice and then Jack says S' right". 2 times.  Ennis sort of slurrs it out so that it's barely audible but  This is what I hear. Ennis had to say something for Jack to be nodding and saying S'right"  :s)
..."yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream"...

Offline welshwitch

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #8 on: Dec 20, 2006, 08:49 AM »
I hear Jack saying "Can I kiss you?" before he does, but no-one else has ever mentioned this - nevertheless, I hear it.

Offline BBM Fan

• Ennis
« Reply #9 on: Dec 20, 2006, 09:13 PM »
Thanks, NoReins, Aintfoolin & Welshwitch...

"Can I kiss you?"  That's the first time i heard that, but it gets my vote.  How sweet!  In fact, i went back & took another look and think that Jack does do all the talking.  I think i heard all of this:  "Come here, Can I kiss you, sorry, sorry, it's all right".  Did anyone hear "come here?" -  right before he moves in for the kiss.  It's so faint - like everything else.  His lips barely move, but I tried it and it can be done.  Do you think this was all dubbed in afterward?  Whatever they're saying, this scene is hot! :d)

Offline welshwitch

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #10 on: Dec 21, 2006, 09:05 AM »
Yes, I heard almost exactly that, except that i wasn;t sure whether he was saying "I'm sorry" or slurring "It's alright."

Offline jackster

• Ennis
  • dumbass missin'
« Reply #11 on: Dec 21, 2006, 10:38 AM »
What a great artist Ang Lee is! We all hear what we want to hear, what we think will make this scene the powerful and moving and critical scene that it is. It's the "sweet nothings" of love making which are different for everyone and can change within ourselves with each viewing depending on how we feel right then. It takes incredible discipline to know how much is enough and how much is too much to strike this perfect cinematic balance. This is what will make this movie so meaningful for years and decades to come, the infinite variety of interpretations it allows all along the way.

jackster
we get to drinkin' and talkin' an all

Offline lauren

• Alma
« Reply #12 on: Dec 21, 2006, 11:29 AM »
i think i heard 'it's alright' too....jack was trying to tell ennis that its okay to love him...i guess
did you miss me?
every second you're away,  you're all i think about, please don't leave me again....

Offline aintfoolin

• Ennis
« Reply #13 on: Dec 21, 2006, 11:43 AM »
This is why I"m sure that Ennis slurs out "I'm sorry", Sorry for the way he treated Jack earlier, sorry for the "rough" treatment in FNIT?, sorry for leaving Jack in limbo about how he felt in reality. My opinion. Jack says S'all right then.
..."yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream"...

Offline NoReins

• Jack + Ennis
  • Redlined it all the way
« Reply #14 on: Dec 22, 2006, 04:58 AM »
This is why I"m sure that Ennis slurs out "I'm sorry", Sorry for the way he treated Jack earlier, sorry for the "rough" treatment in FNIT?, sorry for leaving Jack in limbo about how he felt in reality. My opinion. Jack says S'all right then.

Yes, that's what I thought to start with....but it could equally be Jack just picking up on Ennis's nerves/fear/whatever and trying to calm him by saying "It's alright" repeatedly. It's alright to kiss me....it's alright to touch me....it's alright to do whatever you want because it's just us and no-one else has to know.

But that's just my opinion and it really could be either.
He will be eternally missed, but he will never be forgotten

Christopher Nolan, accepting the Best Supporting Actor Golden Globe on Heath's behalf.

He was, as an actor and a professional and a human being, one of a kind

Charles Roven, accepting Heath's BAFTA.

This award tonight would have humbly validated Heath's quiet determination to be truly accepted by you all here — his peers within an industry he so loved.

Kim Ledger, accepting Heath's Oscar.

Offline aintfoolin

• Ennis
« Reply #15 on: Dec 22, 2006, 06:23 AM »
I agree , It could have been both, different people see and hear different things in this scene. It is like alot in this film, open for the veiwers to interpret. But what ever they said to each other verbally, the eyes were saying much more than any words could say. It was so beautifully acted and very romantic. I loved that guitar playing in the background....PERFECT. ~) *o)

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #16 on: Dec 22, 2006, 08:32 AM »
i think i heard 'it's alright' too....jack was trying to tell ennis that its okay to love him...i guess

Yes, I do think he said 'its alright'

But you have said its meaning most beautifully: 'its ok to love me.'

Offline BBM Fan

• Ennis
« Reply #17 on: Dec 22, 2006, 09:06 PM »
What a great artist Ang Lee is! We all hear what we want to hear, what we think will make this scene the powerful and moving and critical scene that it is. It's the "sweet nothings" of love making which are different for everyone and can change within ourselves with each viewing depending on how we feel right then. It takes incredible discipline to know how much is enough and how much is too much to strike this perfect cinematic balance. This is what will make this movie so meaningful for years and decades to come, the infinite variety of interpretations it allows all along the way.

jackster

Hello Jackster:  You're exactly right.  Ang Lee is a genius.  He gave us just enough to make us want more & to question what was being said & thought.  The SNIT is the most beautiful scene i have ever seen.  It is so mesmerizing. 

I saw a picture of Ang on the set with Heath & Jake.  He was giving them some instruction (during the scene when Jack comes to Heath's home after hearing of the divorce - girls in truck), & they were listening so intently to him.  It was an amazing picture.  I also heard an interview with Jake & he said he was so worried that the love scenes wouldn't look real.  Boy did he underestimate himself! 

And i agree with aintfoolin -

they didn't need to say words, their eyes and movements said it all.   The lighting & music is absolutely beautiful.

Offline LuvJackNasty

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #18 on: Dec 22, 2006, 09:58 PM »

Yes, that's what I thought to start with....but it could equally be Jack just picking up on Ennis's nerves/fear/whatever and trying to calm him by saying "It's alright" repeatedly. It's alright to kiss me....it's alright to touch me....it's alright to do whatever you want because it's just us and no-one else has to know.

But that's just my opinion and it really could be either.

Beautiful posts!  :\'( I had always heard it as "It's alright". I love SNIT- it is just so tenderly romantic and perfect. Ennis enters hesitantly as he is starting to come to terms with "this thing" and Jack is just so gentle and comforting.
“What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close, the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger."

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not the only one I hope someday you'll join us And the world will live as one ~ Imagine- J. Lennon

Offline CrimsonSky

• Jack
  • just like this always...
« Reply #19 on: Dec 23, 2006, 08:47 PM »
I hear Jack saying "Can I kiss you?" before he does, but no-one else has ever mentioned this - nevertheless, I hear it.

OMG! I remember thinking that Jack said "wanna kiss you" there, but it was one of those where sometimes I'd hear it and sometimes I didn't, then I saw the discussions about the whole "I'm sorry"/"It's alright" thing and no-one ever mentioned anything else, so I thought it was just Jack's loud breathing and I was imagining it, like when people say they can hear hidden messages when you play a record backwards. Looks like this is just the excuse I need to watch that scene again ;)  <^( 
There was some open space between what he knew and what he tried to believe, but nothing could be done about it, and if you can't fix it you've got to stand it.

Offline BBM Fan

• Ennis
« Reply #20 on: Dec 23, 2006, 10:06 PM »

OMG! I remember thinking that Jack said "wanna kiss you" there, but it was one of those where sometimes I'd hear it and sometimes I didn't, then I saw the discussions about the whole "I'm sorry"/"It's alright" thing and no-one ever mentioned anything else, so I thought it was just Jack's loud breathing and I was imagining it, like when people say they can hear hidden messages when you play a record backwards. Looks like this is just the excuse I need to watch that scene again ;)  <^( 

I have played it over & over since welshwitch's comment, & he does say that - I can mostly just hear "kiss you".  You have to listen very carefully because the music is louder there.  I can hear it better in a couple of the videos on youtube.com

OT - sorry - came to mind - has anyone watched the "Brokeback Flashback" video on youtube?  it is set to Pat Metheny's "Spiritual" and is in slow motion - it's 4 min. long & is absolutely beautiful.  I should post this in another thread.

Offline LuvJackNasty

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #21 on: Dec 23, 2006, 10:08 PM »
Hmmm I never heard wanna kiss you but being the devoted Brokie I am, I'll just have to research that repeatedly until I hear it.  O0

BBM Fan- I've seen that vid- it's beautiful.  :) I think there's a link to it in the collection of videos.
“What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close, the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger."

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not the only one I hope someday you'll join us And the world will live as one ~ Imagine- J. Lennon

Offline BBM Fan

• Ennis
« Reply #22 on: Dec 23, 2006, 10:30 PM »
Hmmm I never heard wanna kiss you but being the devoted Brokie I am, I'll just have to research that repeatedly until I hear it.  O0

BBM Fan- I've seen that vid- it's beautiful.  :) I think there's a link to it in the collection of videos.

LuvJackNasty -  I would have attached the link, but i haven't been on this site long enough and don't think i can do it. If someone does a search with "brokeback flashback", i think it's the only one that comes up.  Now go do your research on that SNIT "wanna kiss".  I think you'll be surprised when you barely hear it - i was.  Let us know.

Offline LuvJackNasty

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #23 on: Dec 23, 2006, 10:41 PM »
I just watched it 4 times and didn't hear it  :-\\  :X I had the volume all the way up and the speaker up to my ear. I'll try it later with the headphones. It's such a hardship  ::) ;)

Offline BBM Fan

• Ennis
« Reply #24 on: Dec 23, 2006, 10:55 PM »
I just watched it 4 times and didn't hear it  :-  :X I had the volume all the way up and the speaker up to my ear. I'll try it later with the headphones. It's such a hardship  ::) ;)

Luv: I could only hear it in the movie after hearing it on a video.  Go to youtube.com and do a search for "ennis & jack's best moments" - you can hear it there and while you're at it - see if you think that just before he moves in for the kiss, jack barely says, "come here". someone mentioned that on this site and i checked it out & could hear that too.  (or is it just wishful thinking?) ;) You've got your work cut out for you.   

Offline LuvJackNasty

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #25 on: Dec 23, 2006, 11:02 PM »
OMG I thought i heard "come here"!  :clap: But I didn't hear the kiss you part. I;m going to check out You tube- thanks  ^f^

Offline Twisted

• Jack + Ennis
  • "Ain't no reins on this one"
« Reply #26 on: Dec 24, 2006, 03:25 AM »
I hear: Ennis: I'm sorry. Jack: It's allright, it's allright.. Come here.
The most difficult scene was the paragraph where, on the mountain, Ennis holds Jack and rocks back and forth, humming, the moment mixed with childhood loss and his refusal to admit he was holding a man.

- Annie Proulx -

From the vibration of the floorboard on which they both stood, Ennis could feel how hard Jack was shaking.

Offline BBM Fan

• Ennis
« Reply #27 on: Dec 24, 2006, 03:44 AM »
I hear: Ennis: I'm sorry. Jack: It's allright, it's allright.. Come here.

Twisted:  I hadn't heard THAT "come here", but just listened to it again & think you're right. But - I hear this - come here, can i kiss you - then they kiss, then 2 I'm sorry's, it's all right and then another "come here".  it's all so quiet & i have to use headphones.  Do you hear all that?  I go back & forth on who says the "I'm sorrys".   Also - to confuse us more, what is said during the reunion kisses?  I think Ennis says "come here".  Are we obsessed or what?    :-\

Offline Del Mar Twist

• You Know It Could Be Like This, Just Like This, Always.
  • Ennis
  • Ennis Del Mar & Jack Twist
« Reply #28 on: Dec 24, 2006, 03:35 PM »
I blasted my TV, and put on my head phones, and Jack says everything. I listened to it with both Closed Caption on my TV, and Subtitles on my DVD, and here is what Jack says.

I'm Sorry.

It's All Right.

It's All Right.

Lie Back. Come On.

I take the "I'm Sorry." being about the kiss since Ennis was pulling away and turning his head slightly, but Jack kissed him, then he said "It's All Right. It's All Right." after and shook his head when he knew Ennis was all right with it. Then as he pulls Ennis onto his chest and lays back down he says, "Lie Back. Come On."
Jack : Four Years. Damn!

Ennis: Yeah, Four Years.

Brokeback Mountain Where Bluebirds Sing And There's A Whiskey Spring

Offline Del Mar Twist

• You Know It Could Be Like This, Just Like This, Always.
  • Ennis
  • Ennis Del Mar & Jack Twist
« Reply #29 on: Dec 24, 2006, 03:44 PM »
 Also - to confuse us more, what is said during the reunion kisses? 

Ennis: Jack fu**in' Twist

Jack: Son of A Bitch

Ennis: Come Here

Jack : Four Years. Damn!

Ennis: Yeah, Four Years.

Brokeback Mountain Where Bluebirds Sing And There's A Whiskey Spring