Author Topic: 8 Oscars Nominations for BBM - Reaction & Thought  (Read 86108 times)

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
Re: 8 Oscars Nominations for BBM - Reaction & Thought
« Reply #60 on: Jan 31, 2006, 01:58 PM »
:D i had to push and push people to see this film subject matter puts so many people off, thank god for this forum nice to read comments that are so positive from other bbm obsessives and big up the film, fingers crossed for 8 (especially Jake) cant wait for march!

aimi15, thanks for *pushing* people to see this film. Now they know it is not only because of your obsession. It receives the most nominations after all. More people will go see this fim for sure.
Remembering Pierre (chameau) 1960-2015, a "Capricorn bro and crazy Frog Uncle from the North Pole." You are missed

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
  • No longer using this account: frog123
« Reply #61 on: Jan 31, 2006, 02:02 PM »
Well done BBM, and well done ennisjack members, great thread, full of positive vibes for our beloved BBM!

GO BBM Go!..gosh it's been a while since i did my cheerleading routine..I feel almost rusty!

LOL
Support bacteria, they are the only culture some people have!

If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I.
~ Michel Eyquem de Montaigne (1533-1592) ~ (Thankx to gimmejack)

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #62 on: Jan 31, 2006, 02:05 PM »
Well done BBM, and well done ennisjack members, great thread, full of positive vibes for our beloved BBM!

GO BBM Go!..gosh it's been a while since i did my cheerleading routine..I feel almost rusty!

LOL

LOL. Same here. Let me join you with pom pom. Oh man..my back hurts. YES GO BBM...
Remembering Pierre (chameau) 1960-2015, a "Capricorn bro and crazy Frog Uncle from the North Pole." You are missed

Offline scruffy

• Scruff Nasty
  • Jack
« Reply #63 on: Jan 31, 2006, 02:18 PM »
This is going to be the longest four and a half weeks of my life.  At least I have this place.  We can all bite our nails together.

Still, I'm just happy that the little film that nobody was going to see made it this far.  It's all gravy from here.  It gives me faith that dedicated people involved in a communal goal to make a great piece of art can ultimately be rewarded.

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
  • No longer using this account: frog123
« Reply #64 on: Jan 31, 2006, 02:20 PM »
This is going to be the longest four and a half weeks of my life.  At least I have this place.  We can all bite our nails together.

Still, I'm just happy that the little film that nobody was going to see made it this far.  It's all gravy from here.  It gives me faith that dedicated people involved in a communal goal to make a great piece of art can ultimately be rewarded.

yeah..ain't it great...some can just eat their bars of soaps now!!! GO my beloved BBM ...Go all the way to that little man called Oscar!
Support bacteria, they are the only culture some people have!

If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I.
~ Michel Eyquem de Montaigne (1533-1592) ~ (Thankx to gimmejack)

Offline bbmlover

• Jack
  • Jack - I swear......
« Reply #65 on: Jan 31, 2006, 02:45 PM »
I already made a vacation request for Monday March 6th... I could figure I will need that to recover, no matter the results.   :P

I think i will also be taking a day off on 6th March. I'am hoping for the best of result.........and wish i will celebrate it.

JerBear418720

« Reply #66 on: Jan 31, 2006, 02:51 PM »
The other thing is I don't think we should write off the actor awards either.  I mean who knows?

Looking over the competition in the acting categories, I think Michelle has the best chance.  Heath has to deal with Hoffman.  Jake is up against Clooney and his many noms, Dillon in a movie that is getting gobs of positive press, and Giamatti who was passed over last year for Sideways.  But Michelle really has only one real contender in Weisz, IMO.

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #67 on: Jan 31, 2006, 02:51 PM »
I think i will also be taking a day off on 6th March. I'am hoping for the best of result.........and wish i will celebrate it.

Wonderful. Join and celebrate with us.

Offline bbmlover

• Jack
  • Jack - I swear......
« Reply #68 on: Jan 31, 2006, 02:59 PM »

Wonderful. Join and celebrate with us.

Defenitely......... i will login in here (whatever the time my part of globe may be @........not bothered)....... will join you guys to share the moment...... i swear

Offline stephan

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #69 on: Jan 31, 2006, 03:05 PM »
Tears of joy ! Looking forward to celebrating. Stephan

Offline bbmlover

• Jack
  • Jack - I swear......
« Reply #70 on: Jan 31, 2006, 03:16 PM »
This year has been the strangest for me. All these years i have never ever bothered Oscar awards( the truth is........ i just didn't know all this time that there is a nomination event 1 month before awards!)  So by clear hit/miss when i watch news .......... i get to see the awards!.

But BBM has changed all that for me. Now look @ me......... i was here for nom announcement early today..........and i'am well ahead waiting for the awards.

Fantastic. Nice feeling.

Best of best movie. BBM has redefined love. It is simply the strongest force of nature.

LUV U BBM

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #71 on: Jan 31, 2006, 03:20 PM »
This year has been the strangest for me. All these years i have never ever bothered Oscar awards( the truth is........ i just didn't know all this time that there is a nomination event 1 month before awards!)  So by clear hit/miss when i watch news .......... i get to see the awards!.

But BBM has changed all that for me. Now look @ me......... i was here for nom announcement early today..........and i'am well ahead waiting for the awards.

Fantastic. Nice feeling.

Best of best movie. BBM has redefined love. It is simply the strongest force of nature.

LUV U BBM

I am the same. I set my alarm this morning at 8:25 and watched the live announcement for the first time. It is so great to be with you in this BBM journey.

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
The Nominees Speak
« Reply #72 on: Jan 31, 2006, 04:36 PM »
From USA Today: http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/movieawards/oscars/2006-01-31-nominee-reaction_x.htm  I have bold-faced the ones from the BBM nominees. :)

The nominees speak

USA TODAY's Donna Freydkin, Will Keck, Whitney Matheson, Karen Thomas and Susan Wloszczyna are tracking down the nominees to get their initial reactions. All times ET.

9:47 a.m. Amy Adams, who's in her early 30s and up for supporting actress in Junebug, calls. She's one of seven children and says she has "tons of phone calls to make." First up was her sister, and then her mother, Katherine, who was working the Starbucks counter in Colorado. "She had her phone waiting in her pocket, and I heard all the people in the store yell. It was great," says Adams, a first-time nominee.

To celebrate, "I'll invite some friends over and have a glass of champagne and order Chinese food. Maybe we'll go up to (West Hollywood roadhouse) Barney's Beanery. Maybe." Her date for the ceremony will be boyfriend Darren Legallo. Adams hopes she'll be able to meet fellow nominee Frances McDormand (North Country) and see best actor nominee Terrence Howard (Hustle & Flow). "He's smooth and he's fantastic and he can dance. I'm looking forward to sharing a dance with Terrence that night." —Karen Thomas

9:54 a.m. Ang Lee, who directed top-nominated film Brokeback Mountain, sounded relaxed. He spent his morning taking his son to school and did not watch the announcement. His assistant called him with the news. "I tried to not worry about it. I tried to go back to sleep, but then the phone rang, and I heard about the results," he says.

He's not celebrating with a glass of bubbly. Instead, says Lee, he'll have two cups of a fine Taiwanese tea he opened up because it's a special occasion. And he's not worried about the competition come Oscar night. "I don't want this to be the movie to beat," he says of Brokeback. "This year, I really enjoy this group. It's a great bunch of people. We're happy for each other. There's a certain togetherness. There's a family kind of feeling. We're all small movies. Even Steven's movie is relatively small. It's issue-oriented, emotion-oriented, and when society finds it, it's a positive feeling in a frustrating time we're in. It's the most sweet and unselfish year." —Donna Freydkin

10 a.m. Terrence Howard, up for actor for Hustle & Flow, woke up at 5:19 a.m. in his room at the Four Season Hotel in Los Angeles, certain he had missed the Oscar announcement. Realizing that no one had called him, he assumed he wasn't nominated. "I called downstairs and asked them to turn off my phone," says Howard. "I didn't want to do to 'consolation' interviews."

Then he realized the announcements would be made at 5:30, and he canceled the order.

Again, he felt disappointment wash over him as his name was not announced for supporting actor. "That's what everyone said I had the best shot at," Howard says. "I was really happy for Matt Dillon, his co-star in Crash who received a nomination for supporting actor. "But you can't help but be a little disappointed."

Then he heard his name, for best actor for Hustle & Flow.

"It felt like I was watching TV in a dream," he says. "I'm damn near 37 years old, and I'm jumping up and down on the bed like my 10-year-old. I was a wild man."

His first call went to his parents, and everyone broke down in tears. "We're crying, laughing. Then my father says 'Aren't you glad I made you?' I knew he was going to take some of the credit. You just can't describe what this is like." —Scott Bowles

10:01 a.m. Real-life couple Michelle Williams and Heath Ledger, were both nominated for their Brokeback Mountain roles. Williams sounds exhausted after being woken up by the couple's publicist with the news. The new mom has been up much of the night with 3-month-old Matilda. "We're in L.A., so it was early," she says. "We're just trying to wake up." Her plan for the day? "We're just doing interviews now, and Heath is taking a yoga class with me today, and that's as far as we've gotten," she says. "Matilda was up at midnight, and she was up at 3 in the morning, and she was up at 5 in the morning. It's been a long night." The baby gurgles while her mom talks on the phone. "I just fed her, but she's really chatty this morning." Williams had not watched the nomination announcement and hence wasn't sure who the other contenders were. But, she says, "I'm so happy for Heath, and I'm so happy for Jake (Gyllenhaal). They both really deserved it." The biggest surprise so far? "Me! I was surprised by me!"

Ledger follows, saying they are both "pretty exhausted. We gave each other a little kiss and fell back asleep, and then people started calling us." After they're done doing interviews, "We'll go back to bed and sleep. We'll have a little cuddle, and that'll be about it." Even though he was one of the favorites going in, Ledger says he was shocked by his best actor nom. "I never really have great expectations for my work or the movies I'm in. It's a wonderful surprise," he says. "I'm very proud of everyone, and I'm very proud of Jake." He's even more thrilled that Jon Stewart is hosting the show. "We adore him. The world is a better with him in it, and I think the Academy Awards will be better" with him hosting. —D.F.

10:45 a.m. Rachel Weisz, nominated for best supporting actress for The Constant Gardener, heard the news in a rather unique fashion. "I'm still in L.A., from the SAGs, and I was woken up by a South American radio station that had tracked me down and wanted me to be live on the air," she laughs. "I guess they called every hotel in L.A.! I realized it's time for an alias." Weisz, who has already won both the Screen Actors Guild and the Golden Globe awards, calls her year "pretty incredible."

But she won't be celebrating too wildly today, she says. "It's still 8 in the morning and I'm pregnant. (Dad is director Darren Aronofsky) I can't really crack open the champagne. I'll have to have a smoothie or something." And so far, she hasn't talked to anyone close to her, busy as she has been doing interviews. "I haven't been able to call anyone, but my mum called me," she says. Weisz is thrilled that all the movies nominated this year have a political theme and message. "People are hungry for stories that hold up a mirror to the culture we live in. I think it's great," she says. So, has the pregnant actress thought about what she's wearing to the Oscars? "Oh gosh, not yet! But I will, I will, of course! I have to worry about what frock to wear." —D.F.

11:45 a.m.March of the Penguins director Luc Jacquet first heard he was nominated for best documentary feature on the train from Paris, where he's been working on his next project. Will he attend next month's ceremony in L.A.? "I wouldn't miss it for the world," he said via translator.

As for the writer/director's next project, he says "it's in the same spirit as March of the Penguins and will be a sort of mix between documentary and fiction." The plot involves "a meeting between a young girl and a fox that she finds in the forest. She falls in love with the fox and she wants to seduce him, she wants to tame him. ... It's an adventure of initiation of a young girl in the natural world."

Jacquet added that he still didn't know why Penguins became such a worldwide hit last year. "At the very least, the Emperor penguin is an incredibly sympathetic character, and his story is truly a tragedy," he said. "The film has become something that people have embraced all around the world. Audiences have sort of taken the film with them and into their hearts."—Whitney Matheson

11:15 a.m. Matt Dillon, who was nominated for best supporting actor for his role in Crash got the news in his New York hotel room. "I just can't believe that people remembered this movie. It premiered in Toronto like a year and a half ago, and I'm not sure anyone even bought it back then. I knew we had made a good movie, but you're never sure whether people are going to find it and remember it. It's just such an awesome feeling. You feel a little funny, because it's such an ensemble cast, and everyone is so strong in it. But you hope the attention you get will bring more attention to the movie. Because you don't get a lot of movies that are really trying to say something." —S.B.

12:12 p.m. Best supporting actor nominee Paul Giamatti is in Toronto rehearsing Shoot 'Em Up, a movie he's working on with Clive Owen. Does he feel vindicated after not getting a nomination for Sideways last year? Not really. " I feel great. I feel always stunned by this stuff," he laughs. "My manager called me this morning, first thing in the a.m., then my agent, then my wife."

Giamatti says he's more stunned that Cinderella Man's leading actor Russell Crowe was overlooked this year. "That's a huge shame. It surprised me," says Giamatti. "I thought for sure he would (be nominated). It's a wonderful thing that I got nominated but my performance is kind of meaningless without his. It doesn't make any sense to me, but I don't know how these things work. It's a drag, it's a bummer."

He hasn't talked to director Ron Howard yet, but that's due to technical difficulties. "My cellphone died, so now I'm being berated by everybody. I'm recharging my phone," says Giamatti. —D.F.

12:30 p.m. George Clooney, was shooting a French coffee commerical in LA. "I'm getting paid more for this than I was in the past year and a half," he says. He says he worked for scale as an actor and handed over his DGA check in order to cut costs on his two nominated labors of love, Good Night, and Good Luck and Syriana.

On how he feels about being a triple Oscar threat: "I'll be drinking tonight."

Does getting three nominations as an actor, director and writer – a feat previously equaled by only Woody Allen (Annie Hall), Warren Betty (Reds and Heaven Can Wait), and Roberto Benigni (Life Is Beautiful) – mean he can do anything he wants now in Hollywood?

"I've been able to do anything I want for five or six years now. I'll continue to do it."

If he wins on Oscar night, will he give another humorous speech liked the one he gave at the Golden Globes? "I had a really good one for the Screen Actors Guild. But then that Paul Giamatti spoiled it. Damn that Paul Giamatti. I've never liked that guy."

Now that he has joined the club of directing actors, will he grow a bushy beard and make movies in archaic languages? "Not yet. If Mel Gibson makes $600 million for a film he can grow any beard he wants." —Susan Wloszczyna

1 p.m. Best actress nominee Felicity Huffman, from the set of Desperate Housewives:"I am flying. I have to tell you, you know how, sometimes, before a big day at work, you wake up every couple of hours? Well, last night I would dream that I was waking up, and it was 8, and it hadn't happened. Girl, it's not happening. And then I'd look at the clock, and I'd go, 'Oh, it's 1 in the morning. And then it was 2 a.m. and 3 a.m. — and I'd keep going, 'I wasn't nominated.' And then the phone rang at 5:45 PT. The phone's over on (husband) Bill's (Macy) side and he went, 'Ha, ha, ha' He chuckled, rolled over, gave me a hug, and said, 'Don't answer it.' I actually told (my publicist Annette Wolf) to please call me one way or the other, but I guess Bill intuited that that phone call was a good one."—W.K.

1:28 p.m. Steven Spielberg, who won an Oscar in 1993 for Schindler's List, says he's stunned his contentious terrorism drama Munich got so much recognition.

"I wasn't certain we'd receive nominations in those three tall categories," he says, referring to the film's nominations in the picture, directing and best adapted screenplay slots. "I was just absolutely thrilled that the academy had the courage to recognize Munich. They were able to make up their own minds. It's a very controversial film and controversy is not exactly a calling card when it comes to Academy Award time."

Spielberg did not watch the announcements. "The phone rang at ten to six, and I was sound asleep," he says. "My wife (Kate Capshaw) picked up the telephone and it was my associate Kristie Macosko? from the Bahamas, giving us the good news."

They're going to celebrate by "finding the best Oscar dress my wife has ever worn!" And being nominated for the 11th time never gets old: "I love that they're not tired of me!"—D.F.

1:41 p.m. A transcript from Reese Witherspoon's early-morning interview with German TV outlets makes its way to us. "I can't get any of my family on the phone because it's too early there but it's exciting," the best actress nominee (Walk the Line) told APTN during a press conference in Berlin, where the film is just opening. "I take it very seriously."

The actress said she had dozed off in her Berlin hotel during the annoucements (she was "jetlagged," after flying Monday night from the London set of Penelope to Berlin), when she suddenly heard her publicist screaming. "I was having a dream...I was like, what is she screaming about? Doesn't she know I'm asleep but it was funny."

The Oscar nod was totally unexpected, she says. "You never know what people are like in every different group that votes on everything...it's completely different and made up of completely different people so, yeah I was completely surprised and thrilled and...I never thought I'd be here anyway. I never thought I'd be nominated for anything."—K.T.

2:05 p.m. Jake Gyllenhaal's on set in Los Angeles, shooting Zodiac and getting ready to film a seven-page scene with Mark Ruffalo. Gyllenhaal didn't watch the nominations but got a call from his agent with the news that he'd earned a best supporting actor nomination for playing a gay cowboy in Brokeback Mountain.

"My phone voicemail was filled with messages so she couldn't leave a message so she called me at my house," he says. Tonight, he'll "definitely be doing something" to celebrate, he says.

As for Brokeback's eight nominations, says Gyllenhaal, "the more attention that it gets and the more it's championed by audiences and critics, the more people are likely to see it." He chatted with castmates Heath Ledger and Michelle Williams this morning. "Heath and I talked and I got a, 'Congratulations, mate!'" he says. And Gyllenhaal, who was dating Kirsten Dunst, has no word on who'll be his Oscar date. "I don't know!" he laughs. —D.F.

3:26 p.m. Joaquin Pheonix, nominated for best actor (Walk the Line) was at a loss of words as he prepared his statement. "Waking up this early made me reminisce about being a kid, waking up early to beat traffic, so my siblings and I could make it to auditions. In all those long car rides, I never thought about awards for acting (I didn't know they existed). I was an actor because the work was rewarding. I never imagined that it would all lead to this moment. I don't possess the vocabulary to accurately express the sense of gratitude I feel for this great honor. It's made the entire journey more fulfilling than I ever expected." —K.T.

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #73 on: Jan 31, 2006, 04:42 PM »
Thanks, tpe for posting these. Now they will have go through a month of agony similar to PBS.  :)

Offline dblippy

• Cassie
« Reply #74 on: Jan 31, 2006, 04:44 PM »
Brokeback Mountain received 8 Oscar nominations

Best Picture
Best Director
Best Adapted Screenplay
Best Actor
Best Supporting Actor
Best Supporting Actress
Best Cinematography
Best Score

http://oscars.org/index.html

The 78th Academy Award® nominations will be announced on Tuesday, January 31, 2006, at 5:30 a.m. PST, in the Academy's Samuel Goldwyn Theater by Academy President Sid Ganis and Oscar-winning actress and Academy member Mira Sorvino.

Hi,

I realy hope that Jake gets best supporting actor as I feel he has been slightly overlooked but of course I wish the film would get all eight......!....Oh what  a great night it could be if only that would happen!!!!!!!!!!!!

David

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
Ledger and Gyllenhaal
« Reply #75 on: Jan 31, 2006, 04:59 PM »
Thanks, tpe for posting these. Now they will have go through a month of agony similar to PBS.  :)

You're welcome. 

I just love that Ledger singled out Gyllenhaal when he said in the above USA Today article that he was proud of everyone.  I think both of them have a deep mutual respect for each other.  This was also very obvious from Gyllenhaal's red carpet interview on E!, when he said that he and Ledger were friends for life.
« Last Edit: Jan 31, 2006, 05:01 PM by tpe »

Offline ennisandjack

• Alma
« Reply #76 on: Jan 31, 2006, 09:21 PM »
I already made a vacation request for Monday March 6th... I could figure I will need that to recover, no matter the results.   :P

March 6th is my birthday :) What a present a great night for BBM and our actors would be!!!

Offline chameau

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #77 on: Jan 31, 2006, 09:53 PM »

March 6th is my birthday :) What a present a great night for BBM and our actors would be!!!

Wooo oooh!

I like that!

Let be honnest, out of 8 Oscars nominations, we will celebrate!  BBM will get Awards!

My dream, Michelle and Heath winning....  :P  I would be a total mess of tears.  :'( ;D :'( ;D

Not to mention Jake!  :P
La dictature c'est ''ferme ta geule'', la démocratie c'est ''cause toujours''
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline hidesert

• Alma
« Reply #78 on: Jan 31, 2006, 10:06 PM »
Ok, just had to share a BBM article in the latest TIME Magazine along with the film reviewer's predictions:

Tuesday, Jan. 31, 2006

WHO CAN DERAIL THE BROKEBACK EXPRESS?

An Oscar analysis of the nominations by TIME's Richard Corliss
By RICHARD CORLISS

"The only way I can lose the election," Louisiana Gov. Edwin Edwards notoriously said in 1983, "is if I'm caught in bed with either a dead girl or a live boy" * Brokeback Mountain would have to go further to lose this year's Academy Awards race for best picture, since the live boys is what set the movie apart at first and helped position it as the Oscar film to beat.

In the Oscar nominations list announced this morning Brokeback shared the Best Picture category with Capote, Crash, Munich and Good Night, and Good Luck. But the gay cabellero movie led the pack with eight nominations, including six in major categories: Picture, Director, Actor, Supporting Actor, Supporting Actress and Adapted Screenplay. No surprise here. This sere, soulful adaptation of the Annie Proulx short story had already snagged the Golden Globe for best drama, the Directors Guild Award for best director (Ang Lee) ,the Producers' Guild Award for best motion picture and the top laurels from nine critics groups and the Venice Film Festival (where it premiered last September).

But don't take the word of a mere professional movie-watcher. Pinnacle Sports.com, the largest sports betting site on the Internet, has already posted its Oscar odds. Brokeback is favored for Best Picture at a prohibitive 1 to 13, and director Lee at 1 to 19! In other categories, the Vegas sharpies like Philip Seymour Hoffman for best actor, Reese Witherspoon for best actress, and Paul Giaamatti and Rachel Weisz in the supporting actor slots.

No film hit double figures in the nominations tally, because none of the front-runners was the sort of megaproduction or David Lean-style period piece that can run up a half-dozen citations in the categories devoted to technical expertise (sound editing) or frou-frou artistry (art direction, costumes). These are all "people" movies and "issue" movies.

With four of the five top nominees (all but Munich) claiming the tag "indie productions," this is an Oscar year more dominated by non-blockbusters than any since 1997, when four "indie" nominees were The English Patient (the ultimate winner), Fargo, Secrets & Lies and Shine. (The fifth film was the Tom Cruise comedy Jerry Maguire.)

Then as now, an "independent" company was a subsidiary of a big studio. The division, though, remains clear: studios make their regular movies to earn money, and their indie movies to earn prestige which, as Oscar time nears, can mean the same thing. Look for Brokeback, between now and March 5, to double the $51 million it has cadged so far at the domestic box office. Munich may get a little bump, and the others will see their big business at the video store.

Indeed, an argument could be made that all five nominated films are independent; for what Hollywood filmmaker is more his own man than Steven Spielberg? He gets to do what he wants, whether it's a budget-busting remake of War of the Worlds or a medium-budget documentary-style thriller about the 1972 massacre of Israeli athletes and its revenge aftermath.

The big box office pictures more or less eliminated themselves. Sure, Revenge of the Sith was the best Star Wars movie since the 80s, but that's not saying too much, and even then, only the original film got a Best Picture nomination; and George Lucas is seen as the remote figure up in Marin Country. Narnia: too twee, and maybe too Christian. King Kong did not burn up the box office at Lord of the Rings temperature, and at three hours it played like the first "director's cut DVD" shown in theaters. Harry Potter movies just keep getting better, but their target demographic misses the Academy's by about 80 years.

*  For anyone not familiar with Louisiana politics, the State is known for its colorful and corrupt politicians.

CORLISS'S PREDICTIONS:

BEST ACTOR

Philip Seymour Hoffman, Capote
Terrence Howard, Hustle & Flow
Heath Ledger, Brokeback Mountain
Joaquin Phoenix, Walk the Line
David Strathairn, Good Night, and Good Luck

How swell that Terrence Howard got a nomination in the super-indie Hustle & Flow! I'm also pleased that Joaquin Phoenix emerged from Witherspoon's shadow to get a nod. A win for either of them would be fine by me, but the race seems to be between Hoffman and Ledger. Hoffman's Capote is a stunt, a caricature, the kind Oscar often rewards, but it's also a great performance. Ledger, his character's emotions so internalized he's nearly made mute by his passion and guilt, would dominate any other year. But in the leading actor categories, I have to go with the Huffman-Hoffman ticket.

CORLISS FAVORITE: Terrence Howard
LIKELY WINNER: Philip Seymour Hofffman

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Amy Adams, Junebug
Catherine Keener, Capote
Frances McDormand, North Country
Rachel Weisz, The Constant Gardener
Michelle Williams, Brokeback Mountain

In a very "guy" year, there's more action in the Supporting Actress category than the lead one. Weisz is smart, sexy, spiky in a movie where she'd dead in the first five minutes. Keener lends humanity to Capote, and is the earth mother (or big sister) of all indies. McDormand's role was obvious and shrill, but she tempered it with her usual intelligence. Williams plays arguably the one unequivocally sympathetic character in Brokeback, and does so with quiet yearning beauty. And Adams redefines "adorable" as the star-struck yokel in Junebug. I like all these actresses, and most of their roles, but I like most that Adams came from practically nowhere to beguile and break my heart. Ergo...

CORLISS FAVORITE: Amy Adams
LIKELY WINNER: Michelle Williams

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

George Clooney, Good Night, and Good Luck
Matt Dillon, Crash
Paul Giamatti, Cinderella Man
Jake Gyllenhaal, Brokeback Mountain
William Hurt, A History of Violence

Clooney is here, I suspect, more as a thank you to a big star for using his wattage in honorable ways. Giamatti now carries Cinderella Man (since Russell Crowe wasn't nominated), and Dillon carries all the hopes of all the supporting actors in Crash. Hurt makes an indelible impression in his few minutes onscreen, and it's instructive to see that the most self-serious of actors can have menacing fun. But Gyllenhaal, the one important Brokeback actor who's been almost overlooked, should win.

CORLISS FAVORITE: Jake Gyllenhaal
LIKELY WINNER: Jake Gyllenhaal

BEST DIRECTOR

Ang Lee, Brokeback
Bennett Miller, Capote
Paul Haggis, Crash
George Clooney, Good Night, and Good Luck
Steven Spielberg, Munich
For sheer directing virtuosity, Spielberg was at the top of his game. But this category is not worth a full paragraph. The Angster has it.

CORLISS FAVORITE: Steven Spielberg
LIKELY WINNER: Ang Lee

BEST PICTURE

"Brokeback Mountain"
"Capote"
"Crash"
"Good Night, and Good Luck"
"Munich"

Munich's nomination for Best Picture was no sure thing, because the film had managed to cause a rumpus on the left and the right. The main blasts came from Israelophiles who found the movie's anguished semi-evenhandedness a slur on the memory of a modern min-Holocaust. After Schindler's List, the gag went around town, "I knew Steven Spielberg before he was Jewish." Now, much of Hollywood was saying mournfully, "I knew Spielberg when he was Jewish." The ascendancy of Hamas (which Spielberg can't be blamed for) won't help. Neither will the film's middling box office. Three reasons why Munich can be the first film eliminated in the Best Picture countdown.

Capote will make do with Hoffman's Oscar. Good Night, and Good Luck is the kind of movie you invite to the Oscar party but don't ask to make a speech. That leaves Crash. It's the most Hollywood kind of indie picture: amazingly low-budgeted (about $5 million), serious to the point of solemnity, and with a cast of top stars doing charity work: smallish roles in a film with big, social ambitions. The actors' branch of the Acaademy is the largest, and they may have an itch to reward the kind of film that makes actors look good.

It's a long long time from January to March. Preferences and prejudices can change over the next few weeks. Academy members could conceivably be anesthetized by the roll call of Brokeback victories. But our guess is that Brokeback will proceed, at a pace as measured as the movie itself, toward the happy ending the film denied its main characters. If the consensus holds, the one challenge left will be for the film's makers, who already have given more than a dozen acceptance speeches, to find new phrases of gratitude on March 5... and to feign surprise when their names are called.

CORLISS FAVORITE: Brokeback Mountain
LIKELY WINNER: Brokeback Mountain

« Last Edit: Jan 31, 2006, 10:08 PM by hidesert »

Offline hidesert

• Alma
« Reply #79 on: Jan 31, 2006, 10:12 PM »

One comment from Heath Ledger about his nomination:

"I think people are happy to see this love story ... They are happy to see love of the same sex — it’s not a disease or a plague. There is the same level of intimacy and emotions involved, and it’s done in such an honest light."

LA Times

Offline chameau

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #80 on: Jan 31, 2006, 10:22 PM »
This is from CNN, there some video links.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Movies/01/31/oscar.nominations/index.html

'Mountain' looms over Oscar nominations
'Crash' earns six; Clooney picks up three
By Todd Leopold
CNN

Tuesday, January 31, 2006; Posted: 3:06 p.m. EST (20:06 GMT)

"Brokeback Mountain" stars Heath Ledger, left, and Jake Gyllenhaal as ranch hands who have an affair.

And the nominees are ... (4:25)  Video link on CNN.com

Oscar surprises, Oscar predictions (4:08)  Another video link

Most nominations: 8 ("Brokeback Mountain")

Other leading nominees: "Crash," "Good Night, and Good Luck" (6 nominations each), "Munich" (5 nominations)

By George: George Clooney was nominated for his acting (supporting actor for "Syriana"), his directing ("Good Night, and Good Luck") and his writing (original screenplay for "Good Night, and Good Luck," co-written with Grant Heslov).

Old vs. new: Most of the acting nominees have never been nominated for an Oscar before. The exceptions are Joaquin Phoenix (nominated for 2000's "Gladiator"); Judi Dench (4 previous nominations, including a win for "Shakespeare in Love"); Charlize Theron (2003's "Monster"); William Hurt (3 previous nominations, including a win for "Kiss of the Spider Woman"); Catherine Keener (1999's "Being John Malkovich"); and Frances McDormand (3 previous nominations, including a win for "Fargo").

Veterans: With his "Munich" nomination, Steven Spielberg has now been nominated 6 times, all for best director. He's won twice, for "Schindler's List" and "Saving Private Ryan." "Match Point" marks Woody Allen's 21st nomination, including 14 screenplay nominations. He's won 3 Oscars -- for writing "Hannah and Her Sisters" and for writing and directing "Annie Hall." John Williams was nominated twice for best score this year -- for "Memoirs of a Geisha" and "Munich" -- giving him 45 nominations all told. He's won five Oscars.

The Academy: About 5,800 members of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences will choose the Academy Award winners.

It has been the subject of controversy and the subject of jokes -- how many times have you heard variations on "I wish I knew how to quit you" or seen parodies of its poster? -- but mostly "Brokeback Mountain" has been the subject of honors.

On Tuesday, the story of two romantically involved male ranch hands -- which already has won best picture honors from the Golden Globes (drama), Broadcast Film Critics Association and New York Film Critics Circle -- crowned its status as Oscar front-runner by leading all films with eight nominations for the 78th annual Academy Awards.

"Brokeback," based on a short story by E. Annie Proulx, picked up nods for best picture, best director (Ang Lee), best actor (Heath Ledger), best supporting actress (Michelle Williams) and best supporting actor (Jake Gyllenhaal). Its screenplay adaptation, by Larry McMurtry and Diana Ossana, also received a nomination. (Watch which nominations got applause and shouts -- 4:25)

"Brokeback," with its overtly gay love story, has proved much more popular at the box office than some pundits had predicted. Even director Lee has been surprised.

"I thought it was a small work of love," he told Reuters. "I never thought it would play like this."

Tuesday was also a big day for George Clooney, who picked up nominations for directing "Good Night, and Good Luck" and co-writing its original screenplay -- a story about CBS newsman Edward R. Murrow's battle with Sen. Joe McCarthy -- with Grant Heslov. Clooney was also a pick for best supporting actor for his performance as a CIA agent in "Syriana."

Clooney's nominations marked the first time the same person has been nominated for acting in and directing another movie.

"Good Night, and Good Luck" also received nominations for best picture and best actor (David Strathairn, who portrays Murrow), while "Syriana" earned a nod for best original screenplay for its director and writer, Stephen Gaghan.

Other nominees for best picture are "Capote," "Crash" and "Munich." "Crash" won the Screen Actors Guild award Sunday night for best performance by a cast. (Think you know who's going to win Oscar? Play our Inside the Envelope game.)

Some notable films were left out of the best picture running.

"Walk the Line," the Johnny Cash biography that has earned acting honors for stars Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon, was shut out of the best picture and best director races, but Phoenix and Witherspoon were nominated in lead acting categories.

"A History of Violence," another critical favorite, earned supporting actor and adapted screenplay nods, but nothing for its director, David Cronenberg. And "King Kong," despite some support for actress Naomi Watts and director Peter Jackson, only picked up technical nominations.

Forecasters on the mark
With a handful of exceptions, the nominations matched prognosticators' forecasts. (Watch what the surprises were -- 4:08)

Philip Seymour Hoffman, who has garnered several awards for his portrayal of author Truman Capote in "Capote," was nominated for best actor. Ledger, Strathairn and Phoenix have been on many short lists. The category's mild surprise was "Hustle & Flow's" Terrence Howard, who earned critical raves but was seen by many as being on the bubble.

The best actress category is seen as a two-person race between Witherspoon, who played June Carter Cash in "Walk the Line," and Felicity Huffman, for her performance as a pre-op transsexual in "Transamerica." Both actresses won Golden Globes for their performances -- Witherspoon for best actress (comedy/musical), Huffman for best actress (drama). Witherspoon took the SAG Award on Sunday night.

Other nominees are previous Oscar winners Charlize Theron ("North Country") and Judi Dench ("Mrs. Henderson Presents") and newcomer Keira Knightley ("Pride & Prejudice").

In the best supporting actor category, Paul Giamatti -- left out of the nominations last year despite being much-lauded for "Sideways" -- was nominated for his performance as boxing manager Joe Gould in "Cinderella Man." William Hurt, who popped up for short, sharp performances in "Syriana" and "A History of Violence," was nominated for the latter film.

The other nominees are Clooney, Gyllenhaal and Matt Dillon ("Crash") .

Rachel Weisz, already a Golden Globe and Screen Actors Guild Award winner for "The Constant Gardener," earned an Oscar nomination for best supporting actress. Her competition includes Amy Adams ("Junebug"), Catherine Keener ("Capote"), Frances McDormand ("North Country") and Williams ("Brokeback Mountain").

Newsweek, in its annual Oscar preview chat among likely nominees, hit it exactly right with the five directors it selected for this year's talk: Paul Haggis ("Crash"), Lee ("Brokeback Mountain"), Bennett Miller ("Capote"), Clooney ("Good Night, and Good Luck") and Steven Spielberg ("Munich").

Some of the directors already knew each other from previous projects. Haggis was a writer and Clooney was an actor on the TV show "The Facts of Life," and Haggis is working with Spielberg on the Clint Eastwood-directed "Flags of Our Fathers."

"Long after the Oscars this year, I think we're going have weekly dinners together. We're all planning to all move in together," Spielberg joked to the AP.

Other categories
Woody Allen, a frequent original screenplay nominee, was nominated once again, this year for "Match Point." His competition includes Clooney and Heslov, Gaghan, Haggis and Bobby Moresco ("Crash"), and Noah Baumbach ("The Squid and the Whale").

The nominees for best adapted screenplay are McMurtry and Ossana; Dan Futterman, "Capote"; Jeffrey Caine, "The Constant Gardener"; Josh Olson, "A History of Violence"; and Tony Kushner and Eric Roth, "Munich."

Oscar steered away from computer-animated films this year, picking "Howl's Moving Castle," "Tim Burton's Corpse Bride" and "Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Were-rabbit" for best animated feature. The latter two were done with stop-action figures.

Nominees for best foreign film are "Don't Tell," Italy; "Joyeux Noel," France; "Paradise Now," Palestinian territories; "Sophie Scholl -- The Final Days," Germany; and "Tsotsi," South Africa.

After "Brokeback's" eight nominations, three films follow with six: "Crash," "Good Night, and Good Luck" and "Memoirs of a Geisha." "Geisha" was shut out of the major categories.

"Munich" received five nominations.

None of the year's blockbusters was well represented. "Star Wars: Episode III -- Revenge of the Sith" received one nomination, for makeup -- perhaps the first time a "Star Wars" film did not receive a special effects nomination. "King Kong" picked up four nods, and "War of the Worlds," Spielberg's other 2005 film, scored three nods in technical categories.

"The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" was nominated in the sound mixing, makeup and visual effects categories. "Batman Begins" is up for a cinematography prize.

The documentary feature nominees included "March of the Penguins," perhaps the biggest sleeper hit of 2005, along with "Darwin's Nightmare," "Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room," "Murderball" and "Street Fight."

The academy apparently didn't like many songs this year; only three were nominated instead of the usual five. They were "In the Deep" from "Crash," "It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp" from "Hustle & Flow" and "Travelin' Thru" from "Transamerica."

The awards will be held March 5 at the Kodak Theater in Hollywood, California. Jon Stewart is the host, and ABC will broadcast the ceremony.

Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline francis.shim

• aka Jack Nasty who loves you!!!
  • Alma
  • Brokeback Mountain, I swear...
« Reply #81 on: Jan 31, 2006, 10:38 PM »
I was just thinking that consider that BBM started out as a very small indie art film with a tiny budget compared to the likes of "King Kong" or "Narnia".

Yet, the movie has shown that it can stand its own against the likes of such super-mega-budget films.  To me, this strength should mean the following:

1)  BBM would have to rely more on the cast and crew than on special effects.  Special effects has lessen some dependence of the mega-budget films on the strength of acting abilities and cinematography in favour of "sensationalism" and "light shows".
  2)  BBM with its tight budgetary constraint would use simple instrumentals for original music (courtesy of Gustavo) and recordings of period/relevant musical selections.  I do not think they would need as much of large orchestral original symphonic scores.  In this case, less is more.  There would be heavier reliance on the skills of the fewer recording artists used.
  3)  BBM focuses on a story about a highly misunderstood concept... no, worse... a highly denied concept... that two stereo-typical, uneducated, roughnecked cowboys fall in love with each other.  It has to make a socially veiled concept into one that is raw, honest, true and convincing.  I believe it succeeded.  The reliiance would be again more on the acting abilities of the cast as well as the organizational and co-ordinational strength of the crew.  I need not say that it also heavily relies on a very, very strong script.

Now, do you believe that BBM has all these strengths in higher abundance than its peers?

The more I thought about it... the more I had to ask myself... what would the Academy Awards look for then?

Is it just my bias, but, in truth, I believe BBM deserves all 8 of those awards.  If they miss any one of those awards, then in my heart, BBM has received it on a more spiritual level.

BBM has given so much to me, in terms of facing my own demons ...
  ... I may be losing my hearing, but if I can love then I can listen with my heart....
  ... I may be losing my vision, but if I can love then I can see with my heart...
  ... I may be gay, but if I can love then I can forgive others with my heart...
  ... I may be dying, but if I can love then I can live to the fullest.

I hope you guys don't think this too sappy, but BBM really has affected me a lot... and I will allow it.

Peace,
Frank

Offline chameau

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #82 on: Jan 31, 2006, 10:52 PM »
I was just thinking that consider that BBM started out as a very small indie art film with a tiny budget compared to the likes of "King Kong" or "Narnia".

Yet, the movie has shown that it can stand its own against the likes of such super-mega-budget films.  To me, this strength should mean the following:

1)  BBM would have to rely more on the cast and crew than on special effects.  Special effects has lessen some dependence of the mega-budget films on the strength of acting abilities and cinematography in favour of "sensationalism" and "light shows".
  2)  BBM with its tight budgetary constraint would use simple instrumentals for original music (courtesy of Gustavo) and recordings of period/relevant musical selections.  I do not think they would need as much of large orchestral original symphonic scores.  In this case, less is more.  There would be heavier reliance on the skills of the fewer recording artists used.
  3)  BBM focuses on a story about a highly misunderstood concept... no, worse... a highly denied concept... that two stereo-typical, uneducated, roughnecked cowboys fall in love with each other.  It has to make a socially veiled concept into one that is raw, honest, true and convincing.  I believe it succeeded.  The reliiance would be again more on the acting abilities of the cast as well as the organizational and co-ordinational strength of the crew.  I need not say that it also heavily relies on a very, very strong script.

Now, do you believe that BBM has all these strengths in higher abundance than its peers?

The more I thought about it... the more I had to ask myself... what would the Academy Awards look for then?

Is it just my bias, but, in truth, I believe BBM deserves all 8 of those awards.  If they miss any one of those awards, then in my heart, BBM has received it on a more spiritual level.

... I may be losing my hearing, but if I can love then I can listen with my heart....
  ... I may be losing my vision, but if I can love then I can see with my heart...

I hope you guys don't think this too sappy, but BBM really has affected me a lot... and I will allow it.

Peace,
Frank

Sob!  :'(

One great post,  francis.shim

Please keep posting!

Hugs!

Pierre
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #83 on: Jan 31, 2006, 10:57 PM »

Frank, your post is wonderful. Thank you ..thank you. I just feel fortunate that I am capable of feeling the power of BBM.

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
Variety
« Reply #84 on: Jan 31, 2006, 11:33 PM »
Reaction from BBM

For "Brokeback Mountain" helmer Ang Lee, the news of eight nominations for the picture sent him into a state of "relief."

"I was anxious because I did not want anyone to be left out," he explained. "Everyone worked in harmony as a chorus. Nobody stands out."

Lee also expressed his gratitude to the Acad for feting a film that was "simply made."

"There was no cinematic ambition," he said. "I just set out to tell a story about the complexity of life and love."

----
A rather sleepy Heath Ledger said he was very excited about the nomination, his first.

"I think people are just getting over their personal fears," he said of "Brokeback Mountain." "It's a personal story, a very honest telling of an ancient story, which is love."

As for how he was going to celebrate the nomination, he said, "with a nap."
----

You can read the rest HERE

Offline francis.shim

• aka Jack Nasty who loves you!!!
  • Alma
  • Brokeback Mountain, I swear...
« Reply #85 on: Feb 01, 2006, 12:07 AM »

Peace,
Frank

I left something very important out... because you see I have had friends and lovers died from AIDS, cancer... and so on...

... I may be dead, but if you can love then you can remember me.

I am not sure, but maybe I should post this more to the how BBM affected me thread or something... all this is really just pouring out of me right now... so please I hope you guys don't ming.

Peace,
Frank

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
Oscar nominations soothe anxious Ang Lee
« Reply #86 on: Feb 01, 2006, 12:14 AM »
Oscar nominations soothe anxious Ang Lee

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) -
Ang Lee had just returned to his home in New York Tuesday after taking his children to school and hoped to steal a few moments of sleep.

That plan was foiled when the news broke about 8:35 EST that his "Brokeback Mountain" led the Oscar pack with eight nominations, including his citation for best director.

Although "Brokeback's" string of guild nominations had positioned it for Oscar glory, Lee admitted, "we were hopeful, but there was a little anxiety, so this is very good."

As the movie -- which skeptics initially warned might play only to a narrow demographic -- has slowly spread across the U.S., Lee said: "It gives me lots of hope and has taught me a big lesson -- that I should never categorize people. Certainly, I've come to realize that there are more gay people out there than I realized. And I also think the movie speaks to people who are very thirsty and hungry to see something with true emotion and some complexity."

Lee was particularly gratified when "Brokeback" recently opened in his homeland, Taiwan, where it was rated as suitable for moviegoers 12 and older. It opened as the No. 1 film, he noted, and "all kinds of people have gone to see it."

The film's star, Heath Ledger, was in a Los Angeles hotel bed with new wife and "Brokeback Mountain" co-star Michele Williams and their baby daughter, Mathilda, when they heard the news of their Oscar nominations.

"Supporting my partner and enjoying this awards season for her makes it so much more bearable," said Ledger as Williams made calls from another room in their suite. "It means you're not wrapped up in your own nomination. It's exciting, and I'm extremely proud of her. It's sweet. I'm also excited for Jake (Gyllenhaal) and Ang (Lee) and the movie, which is really beautiful, and Annie Proulx, the creator of this story. The biggest reward of this movie was my two girls: I was given a family, which is bizarre."

Williams, meanwhile, said the couple "might get a baby-sitter and go on a date."

Speaking from the set of "Zodiac," supporting actor nominee Gyllenhaal said he was asleep when his agent called him with the news.

"I try not to have expectations. I had given up expectations in the past little while, and it's done me a lot of good. I think it's good to leave your expectations at the door. I feel that way about my birthday, I feel that about Christmas, and I feel that way about this."

One of the first calls "Brokeback Mountain" cinematographer Rodrigo Prieto received after the Oscar nominations was from a popular radio station in Mexico City, his hometown. "It's an exciting day -- we have two Mexican cinematographers nominated," Prieto said of his colleague Emmanuel Lubezki, nominated for "The New World."

Prieto started work on "Brokeback Mountain" right after shooting Oliver Stone's "Alexander."

"I'd say the camera and lighting packages were 10 times smaller on 'Brokeback,"' the first-time nominee said. "That didn't make shooting 'Brokeback' less challenging. We worked on a short schedule, the weather was not cooperating, and (we had) so many locations and time periods. I just never imagined that it would get the attention it's getting. I didn't think it was the kind of cinematography that would get noticed -- we tried to be as organic and unnoticeable as possible -- so it's very exciting."

When the nominations were announced, "Brokeback Mountain" composer Gustavo Santaolalla was in London, readying himself for a Tuesday evening Barbican Hall performance of "Ayre," a collaborative work with Argentinean composer Oswaldo Golijov; Santaolalla appears Friday and Saturday in New York at Lincoln Center with Bajofondo and the Kronos Quartet. Santaolalla, whose Golden Globe-winning song "A Love That Will Never Grow Old" was ineligible for an Oscar nomination because of its brief screen time, received his first Oscar nomination for just his fifth film score after a long career as a performer, songwriter, producer and label operator.

"I started in the music business when I was 16," he said. "I've been at it since I was a kid. I'm totally aware of the speed in which things moved in this new phase. I'm excited and in a state of awe."

Offline Toadily

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
  • "Friend, we got ourselves a situation here"
« Reply #87 on: Feb 01, 2006, 12:21 AM »
That's really endearing to hear he was anxious...I mean the director of Crash (I think his name is Hilgis..?) said Ang has it basically in the bag.

In the bag Mr Lee!  So cool!
"it's Love, Blockhead!"
-Pierre Marivaux  The Triumph of Love

"To love an idea is to love it a little more than one should."  -Jean Rostand

Offline Sanne

• Jack Fuckin' Twist
  • Alma Jr.
« Reply #88 on: Feb 01, 2006, 04:06 AM »
8 oscar nominations..Woohooo ! !@#$ ACE!!!  :P

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #89 on: Feb 01, 2006, 12:18 PM »
It just occurs to me the accomplishment of BBM is amazing.

Three acting nominations - all of them first time nonimees. It is such a strong cast. Can you think of any movie that has at least 3 first acting nominations?

In the future, no matter Heath, Jake or Michelle wins or not, we will see something like

Academy Award Nominee (or even Winner) attaches to their names in the movie trailers for the rest of their careers. I am just very proud of them.