Author Topic: 8 Oscars Nominations for BBM - Reaction & Thought  (Read 86106 times)

Offline francis.shim

• aka Jack Nasty who loves you!!!
  • Alma
  • Brokeback Mountain, I swear...
Re: 8 Oscars Nominations for BBM - Reaction & Thought
« Reply #90 on: Feb 01, 2006, 12:30 PM »
It just occurs to me the accomplishment of BBM is amazing.

Three acting nominations - all of them first time nonimees. It is such a strong cast. Can you think of any movie that has at least 3 first acting nominations?

In the future, no matter Heath, Jake or Michelle wins or not, we will see something like

Academy Award Nominee (or even Winner) attaches to their names in the movie trailers for the rest of their careers. I am just very proud of them.

Exactly... remember the film started with a very small budget.  Ang Lee is also an incredible director with an eye for subtleties and making the most of the moments.  I could keep going on and on, but to me the BBM cast and crew have etched their mark.  Although Heath, Jake and Michelle are nominees, it is clear that even Anne Hathaway will benefit from the "Brokeback Mountain" phenomena.

Peace,
Frank

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #91 on: Feb 01, 2006, 12:35 PM »
Right, Frank. And Ang Lee...what can I say? He is a great guy and film master. I remember he said something about making this movie - he was set to tell a love story. And he tells brilliantly. You gotta love this guy for being so humble and passionate about filmmaking.

Oscar is already in his bag.
Remembering Pierre (chameau) 1960-2015, a "Capricorn bro and crazy Frog Uncle from the North Pole." You are missed

Offline monicita

• Jack
« Reply #92 on: Feb 01, 2006, 12:41 PM »
Yeah! Ang rocks (I know, I know, I'm always saying this, but it.is.just.so.true)

monicita
Love is a many splendoured thing...

Offline tpkomodo

• Alma Jr.
  • A fan from MALAYSIA
« Reply #93 on: Feb 01, 2006, 01:13 PM »
I voted the Oscar in yahoo for my favorite in each category, and compare my picks with other Yahoo users and the Oscar Expert. Here is the result for the prediction (including me, the experts & other yahoo users' votes)

Best Picture:
Brokeback Mountain              39% (including experts vote)
Crash                                  34%
Munich                                12%
Good Night and Good Luck    10%
Capote                                  4%

Achievement in Directing
Ang Lee - Brokeback Mountain                           37%   (including experts vote)
George Clooney - Good Night, And Good Luck.      23% 
Paul Haggis - Crash                                             21%
Steven Spielberg - Munich                                  16% 
Bennett Miller - Capote                                       2% 

Best Actor
Joaquin Phoenix - Walk the Line    43%  (including experts vote) :'(
Heath Ledger - Brokeback Mountain  24%   :'(
Philip Seymour Hoffman - Capote    15% 
David Strathairn - Good Night, And Good Luck.    4% 
Terrence Howard - Hustle & Flow    14% 

Best Supporting Actor
William Hurt - A History of Violence               4% 
George Clooney - Syriana                         23%   (including experts vote)  :'(
Paul Giamatti - Cinderella Man                     20% 
Matt Dillon - Crash                                      20% 
Jake Gyllenhaal - Brokeback Mountain           32% ;)

Best Supporting Actress
Frances McDormand - North Country               12% 
Michelle Williams - Brokeback Mountain             38% 
Amy Adams - Junebug                                   4% 
Rachel Weisz - The Constant Gardener               37%   (including experts vote)  :'(
Catherine Keener - Capote                               8% 

Best Adapted Screenplay
Josh Olson -  A History of Violence                                      10% 
Larry McMurtry and Diana Ossana - Brokeback Mountain      47% 
Dan Futterman - Capote                                                   10% 
Jeffrey Caine - The Constant Gardener                              13% 
Tony Kushner and Eric Roth - Munich                                 20% 

Best Original Score
John Williams - Memoirs of a Geisha                         37% 
Gustavo Santaolalla - Brokeback Mountain             36%    (including experts vote) :)
Alberto Iglesias - The Constant Gardener                 7% 
Dario Marianelli - Pride and Prejudice                       12% 
John Williams - Munich                                          8%

Achievement in Cinematography
Wally Pfister - Batman Begins                              27% 
Rodrigo Prieto - Brokeback Mountain              35%     (including experts vote) :)
Robert Elswit - Good Night, And Good Luck.        11% 
Dion Beebe - Memoirs of a Geisha                       19% 
Emmanuel Lubezki - The New World                    7% 

Well guys, looks like BBM is having a high hope here! Lets pray for it!
I'm from Malaysia and I LOVE this movie vey very very much!

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #94 on: Feb 01, 2006, 01:16 PM »
Hello tpkomodo, thank you very much for posting these polls. It is wonderful. Now we will have to wait until March 5.  :(

Remembering Pierre (chameau) 1960-2015, a "Capricorn bro and crazy Frog Uncle from the North Pole." You are missed

Offline chameau

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #95 on: Feb 01, 2006, 01:19 PM »
Too bad it's not posted on their website but, only on the printed version.  La Presse of this morning have a very good article.

The Tittle is:

Bad President, Good cinema.

It is just pointing what a good year it was for Hollywood and independent studios.

All the nominated movies have controversial subjects, and very good works.

No one would ever think that Brokeback Mountain would be one day taken to the big screen and now they have 8 nominations, they praise the courage of the producers.

They also praise Paul Haggis, George Clooney and Steven Spielberg for their couragous works.

One funny quote, looks like the worst the government is, the best the cinema is.  ;)

O.k. No politics on this board bad boy!

Anyone that reads French who would like a copy, let me know, I'll mail it to you.  For the ones living in big cities (NYC, LA, London, that kind of stuff) La Presse could be found easily.
La dictature c'est ''ferme ta geule'', la démocratie c'est ''cause toujours''
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline Esteban

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #96 on: Feb 01, 2006, 02:43 PM »
I'm very glad for Ang Lee who already in the past got me stuck so badly by his brilliant "The Ice Storm".

And I'm deeply happy both for Heath and Jake, their stunning performances are more than performances-of-a-lifetime to me, their work in this movie is so !@#$ great, intense, so true to the bone, so emotional and moving that I cannot shake their faces, their expressions out of my head since I first saw the film.
They deserve more than anyone and anything to be awarded and rewarded for such an amazing work and even though they won't win as competition seems to be very tough they already won the Oscar of my heart!

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #97 on: Feb 01, 2006, 02:46 PM »
I'm very glad for Ang Lee who already in the past got me stuck so badly by his brilliant "The Ice Storm".

And I'm deeply happy both for Heath and Jake, their stunning performances are more than performances-of-a-lifetime to me, their work in this movie is so !@#$ great, intense, so true to the bone, so emotional and moving that I cannot shake their faces, their expressions out of my head since I first saw the film.
They deserve more than anyone and anything to be awarded and rewarded for such an amazing work and even though they won't win as competition seems to be very tough they already won the Oscar of my heart!

Hello, Esteban, I wholeheartedly agree with you. Thanks for sharing your post. They too have won the Oscar of my heart. Welcome to this forum.

Offline Toadily

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
  • "Friend, we got ourselves a situation here"
« Reply #98 on: Feb 01, 2006, 02:48 PM »
Hey I like that, "they won the Oscar of my Heart" .....We should make a t-shirt or something about that...
"it's Love, Blockhead!"
-Pierre Marivaux  The Triumph of Love

"To love an idea is to love it a little more than one should."  -Jean Rostand

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #99 on: Feb 01, 2006, 02:49 PM »
Hey I like that, "they won the Oscar of my Heart" .....We should make a t-shirt or something about that...

Yeah, we can write a fan letter to BBM and tell them that. Oops..did I say fan letter? I thought those fans chasing after celebrities are just nuts (please excuse my language). Now this PBS really change my perspective. But I think I am only 100% loyal to BBM just like Ennis to his Jack.
« Last Edit: Feb 01, 2006, 02:51 PM by ethan »

Offline Toadily

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #100 on: Feb 01, 2006, 02:55 PM »

Yeah, we can write a fan letter to BBM and tell them that. Oops..did I say fan letter? I thought those fans chasing after celebrities are just nuts (please excuse my language). Now this PBS really change my perspective. But I think I am only 100% loyal to BBM just like Ennis to his Jack.

Hey let's do a dorky fan letter.  I love it!  I'll start looking for contact info.  I feel like  a dweeb, like in Bye Bye Birdie when Ann-Margaret sings to the stupid photo of the celebrity.
"it's Love, Blockhead!"

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #101 on: Feb 01, 2006, 04:15 PM »
Hey let's do a dorky fan letter.  I love it!  I'll start looking for contact info.  I feel like  a dweeb, like in Bye Bye Birdie when Ann-Margaret sings to the stupid photo of the celebrity.

Well, there is a mailing address for Jake posted in the Jake's forum.

Offline Toadily

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #102 on: Feb 01, 2006, 04:24 PM »

Well, there is a mailing address for Jake posted in the Jake's forum.

I'll look it up.  I can make a nice card that says "you won the Oscar of our heart' on Publisher.  I'll see if there is a general BBM address too, I doubt it though.  Heath must have a fan address somewhere right?
"it's Love, Blockhead!"

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #103 on: Feb 01, 2006, 04:25 PM »
I'll look it up.  I can make a nice card that says "you won the Oscar of our heart' on Publisher.  I'll see if there is a general BBM address too, I doubt it though.  Heath must have a fan address somewhere right?

I would think so. Please also add ennisjack.com loves you. BBM all the way.

Offline chameau

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #104 on: Feb 01, 2006, 04:27 PM »

Who knows? Maybe Jake, Heath, Michelle and Anne will come and take a look on our board. Poor guys, they never figured the buzz BBM would be  :P
La dictature c'est ''ferme ta geule'', la démocratie c'est ''cause toujours''
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline Toadily

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #105 on: Feb 01, 2006, 04:41 PM »

Actually Ethan, I was going to ask you that.  Ok, will put ennisjack.com FOR SURE>  It's from all of us folks.  Ok, will report when I am done.
"it's Love, Blockhead!"

Offline BBM Obsessed

• Alma
  • BBM Obsessed!!
« Reply #106 on: Feb 01, 2006, 05:25 PM »
I'm thrilled with the eight nominations, but I think it should have been nine.  I noticed the Emmylou Harris song wasn't nominated, like it was with the Golden Globes, which it won.  Oh, well...  I'm especially happy that Jake got a nomination, too, since most of the acting focus has been on Heath and Michelle.  Can't wait until March 5th!   :o
"I'm not a human being having a spiritual experience, rather I'm a spiritual being having a human experience."  :)

Offline Esteban

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #107 on: Feb 02, 2006, 12:33 AM »

Hello, Esteban, I wholeheartedly agree with you. Thanks for sharing your post. They too have won the Oscar of my heart. Welcome to this forum.

Hey guys, I wish I had more time to spend here with all of you and your nice and interesting comments about such a wonderful piece of art that BBM turned up to be especially cause I'm suffering from a very strong PBS and I can't get out my head Heath and Jake's faces and how brilliantly they portrayed their characters.
I think it just comes once or twice in a generation a movie which takes you by surprise and literally blows you away... how could it hurt you when it feels so good... but I'm so happy this movie has happened to be BMM, definitely one of the greatest films of my lifetime.

Hey, if you're seriously going to make a t-shirt or fan letter I wanna be personally quoted and copyrighted for the phrase "Oscar Of My Heart"! ;)

Offline tpkomodo

• Alma Jr.
  • A fan from MALAYSIA
« Reply #108 on: Feb 02, 2006, 03:31 AM »
here is the link to the casts interview on the nominations.
http://www.heathbaby.com/news/index.php?Action=Full&NewsID=465

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
  • No longer using this account: frog123
« Reply #109 on: Feb 02, 2006, 01:49 PM »
Heath on People.com

HEATH LEDGER
Nomination: Best Actor, Brokeback Mountain
Ledger's performance as a lovelorn cowboy drew raves, but his real passion is for fiancé Michelle Williams (a Best Supporting Actress nominee) and their new daughter. "She's the most beautiful, beautiful little girl," the actor, 26, told Oprah Winfrey. But who will watch 3-month-old Matilda on Oscar night? Williams's mother has already offered.
Up next: The Australian indie Candy

JAKE GYLLENHAAL
Nomination: Best Supporting Actor, Brokeback Mountain
The 25-year-old, who dated Kirsten Dunst off and on for years, filmed Brokeback mid-breakup – which made his performance especially poignant. "If you're not alive and feeling what you're feeling … it gets to be bland," he told Oprah Winfrey. "So yeah, I brought that period of my life into the movie."
Up next: Filming serial-killer drama Zodiac

Support bacteria, they are the only culture some people have!

If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I.
~ Michel Eyquem de Montaigne (1533-1592) ~ (Thankx to gimmejack)

Offline Toadily

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #110 on: Feb 02, 2006, 02:48 PM »
Right, Frank. And Ang Lee...what can I say? He is a great guy and film master. I remember he said something about making this movie - he was set to tell a love story. And he tells brilliantly. You gotta love this guy for being so humble and passionate about filmmaking.

Not to over due it all, but I also like the fact maybe...our other Directors will take note of the incredible success of this decent, humble wise man MAKING IT IN HOLLYWOOD folks.
"it's Love, Blockhead!"

Offline francis.shim

• aka Jack Nasty who loves you!!!
  • Alma
  • Brokeback Mountain, I swear...
« Reply #111 on: Feb 02, 2006, 10:29 PM »

Not to over due it all, but I also like the fact maybe...our other Directors will take note of the incredible success of this decent, humble wise man MAKING IT IN HOLLYWOOD folks.

Absolutely true, toadily...

Everytime I see Ang Lee, all I see is Ang Lee... a real person who anybody could approach.

Peace,
Frank

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
Walk the Line?
« Reply #112 on: Feb 03, 2006, 12:29 AM »
Has anyone seen Walk The Line? It won GG Best Picture - Musical or Comedy but was shut out of Oscar Best Picture nomination.

It's got Best Actor and Best Actress nomination. Although I have not seen the movie, I am really surprised.

Among the movies nominated for Best Picture, I have only seen BBM. I just have no desire to see any of them and I swear it is not because of PBS.

Offline Toadily

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
Re: Walk the Line?
« Reply #113 on: Feb 03, 2006, 12:48 AM »
Has anyone seen Walk The Line? It won GG Best Picture - Musical or Comedy but was shut out of Oscar Best Picture nomination.

It's got Best Actor and Best Actress nomination. Although I have not seen the movie, I am really surprised.

Among the movies nominated for Best Picture, I have only seen BBM. I just have no desire to see any of them and I swear it is not because of PBS.

I saw it, I enjoyed it. They did a great job, and it's amazing that the leads did the singing (they didn't dub)  I wouldn't think of it as a Best Picture like the ones nominated, in that it's not a BIG movie, it's a biopic.  He is a drug addict and we go through that etc.

My other thoughts:  Capote, I  liked too but I didnt get a sense of Capote's relationship with Perry with murderer.  I didn' tfeel it was PSH fault, it was the Director missed a note there.  So it missed the greatness bar.

Crash to me seemed like a series of vinettes talking about serious issues, like a bunch of one acts strung together with these little 'threads keeping them together. 

I liked all the movies nominated this year, but to me it's like they are all movies you want to date, Brokeback is the movie you marry, it's the keeper, it's for life.

"it's Love, Blockhead!"

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #114 on: Feb 03, 2006, 12:51 AM »
I liked all the movies nominated this year, but to me it's like they are all movies you want to date, Brokeback is the movie you marry, it's the keeper, it's for life.

Thanks for the thought. Yes. That gives me an excuse to not see the others.  :)

Offline Toadily

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #115 on: Feb 03, 2006, 01:00 AM »

Thanks for the thought. Yes. That gives me an excuse to not see the others.  :)

Although I did forget good night and good luck it's nominated right?  now that I would make a point to see.  seriously, it's really entertaining and makes a good lesson too.
"it's Love, Blockhead!"

Offline monicita

• Jack
« Reply #116 on: Feb 03, 2006, 08:57 AM »
Thanks for the tip! I was wondering what should be the first other movie I see after Brokeback (in a cinema, at least). Seriously, I haven't been to anything else since my first BBM viewing. O my god, this is one for the addiction board!!!! :o

monicita
Love is a many splendoured thing...

Offline bbmlover

• Jack
  • Jack - I swear......
« Reply #117 on: Feb 03, 2006, 09:05 AM »
Thanks for the tip! I was wondering what should be the first other movie I see after Brokeback (in a cinema, at least). Seriously, I haven't been to anything else since my first BBM viewing. O my god, this is one for the addiction board!!!! :o

monicita

And me.......... one step extreme....... i have stopped watching television. I thought none of the program will match up to BBM. So I'am more happy being here talking to you guys rather than watch some stupid programme. And regarding movies - yup the same news from my side as well. Will any movie match up to BBM?

Might not  be. So BBM - u r my luv forever.

Offline Aela

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #118 on: Feb 03, 2006, 09:17 AM »
This is really disturbing to me.  >:(

Did anyone else see this article in the LA Weekly?
http://www.laweekly.com/index.php?option=com_lawcontent&task=view&id=12564&Itemid=116

Granted, it's a little sarcastic, but in it, the author claims that her "inside sources" in LA are saying that many of the Academy members ARE NOT VIEWING their copies of BBM because they're put off by the content!!!!!!
Sadly, I can believe that, since so many in the Academy are just old rich white guys. 

Now I'm really afraid for BBM's chances.  I have a feeling that "Crash" could sneak in there....that way, the Academy can still pat themselves on the back for rewarding an "issue film", but they won't have to watch guys making out. (Oh, the horror!   ::))

I swear if this is true, I'll just snap.  I'll be up on a clocktower with a rifle in no time.   :-\
"I was probably no fun anyways, was I?"
--Ennis

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #119 on: Feb 03, 2006, 09:40 AM »
This is really disturbing to me.  >:(

Did anyone else see this article in the LA Weekly?
http://www.laweekly.com/index.php?option=com_lawcontent&task=view&id=12564&Itemid=116

Granted, it's a little sarcastic, but in it, the author claims that her "inside sources" in LA are saying that many of the Academy members ARE NOT VIEWING their copies of BBM because they're put off by the content!!!!!!
Sadly, I can believe that, since so many in the Academy are just old rich white guys. 

Now I'm really afraid for BBM's chances.  I have a feeling that "Crash" could sneak in there....that way, the Academy can still pat themselves on the back for rewarding an "issue film", but they won't have to watch guys making out. (Oh, the horror!   ::))

I swear if this is true, I'll just snap.  I'll be up on a clocktower with a rifle in no time.   :-\

Hello Aela.  Yes, I read that article.  We should just take verything nowadays about the Oscars with a grain of salt.  It is probably true that there are still a lot of people in Hollywood who have issues, but in the final analysis, a great fims stands on its own merits.

I am confident, that BBM is for the books.  Nothing -- not even an Oscar snub -- can take that away.