Author Topic: Brokeback Essay  (Read 14386 times)

Offline City Slickin' Cowboy

• BBM Addict for Life.
  • Jack + Ennis
  • It's A BBM Love Affair
Brokeback Essay
« on: Jul 29, 2007, 06:47 PM »
While surfing around for BB pics on the net I stumbled across this essay on Brokeback Mountain.
I'm not sure how old it is.  It was an interesting essay.  The author posted some very thought provoking insights on the film.  Just thought I'd share.

http://www.ejumpcut.org/trialsite/brokebackmt/index.html
A reminder Brokies...there is no known cure for PBS.  It's merely managed.

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
Re: Brokeback Essay
« Reply #1 on: Jul 29, 2007, 08:06 PM »
OMG! That's...  :-\\ :\'( 

Excerpt
But ultimately I don’t think this film was made for the gay community. As a primer on the devastating effects of external and internalized homophobia, Brokeback Mountain is probably more revelatory and sobering for the straight audience, who are, at this point, more familiar with gay fashion-sense than with all-out gay despair.

Thanks CSC for posting this, it's brilliant.
La dictature c'est ''ferme ta geule'', la démocratie c'est ''cause toujours''
 Jean-Louis Barrault

• BBM Addict for Life.
  • Jack + Ennis
  • It's A BBM Love Affair
« Reply #2 on: Jul 29, 2007, 08:11 PM »
I think so too.  He definitely posted some thoughts that I haven't seen discussed in the forum so far.

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #3 on: Jul 29, 2007, 08:13 PM »
I agree, I made a word document out of it to read again.  I need to digest it but this guy have some serious toughts to share.
 Jean-Louis Barrault

• BBM Addict for Life.
  • Jack + Ennis
  • It's A BBM Love Affair
« Reply #4 on: Jul 29, 2007, 08:17 PM »
I will have to do the same.  Good suggestion! O0

Offline LuvJackNasty

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #5 on: Jul 29, 2007, 10:21 PM »
I'm copying this to read tomorrow. If there are things we haven't discussed (is that possible?  ;D) mayeb we could start some threads for them.  :)
“What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close, the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger."

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not the only one I hope someday you'll join us And the world will live as one ~ Imagine- J. Lennon

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #6 on: Jul 30, 2007, 08:54 AM »
Thank you CSC.  It brings the point home the BBM is not just another gay movie.  It is many things.  It reflects so many things.  This essay succeeds in bringing this out.

• BBM Addict for Life.
  • Jack + Ennis
  • It's A BBM Love Affair
« Reply #7 on: Jul 30, 2007, 09:36 AM »
You're right tpe.  Unlike a number of articles throughout the web where it's obvious the author is just blowing wind.  It appears this person gave quite a bit of thought to what was depicted. I was convinced he actually watched the film.

Offline yncroger

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #8 on: Aug 12, 2007, 02:07 PM »
[Thank you] :t) :t)This was a hard hitting essay.  I have printed this document for my files.  keep up the good work.   (:)

• BBM Addict for Life.
  • Jack + Ennis
  • It's A BBM Love Affair
« Reply #9 on: Aug 12, 2007, 04:12 PM »
You are welcome yncroger.  And to think...I stumbled across this essay by accident.

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #10 on: Aug 12, 2007, 04:23 PM »
You are welcome yncroger.  And to think...I stumbled across this essay by accident.

Well that was a really nice accident and I don't believe in coincidences  :*(

Once again, thanks for sharing  :ghug:
 Jean-Louis Barrault

• BBM Addict for Life.
  • Jack + Ennis
  • It's A BBM Love Affair
« Reply #11 on: Aug 12, 2007, 04:25 PM »
Thank you cham!  I hope more members take the opportunity to read the essay.  It was quite thought provoking.

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #12 on: Aug 12, 2007, 04:27 PM »
It's the reason why we mentioned the essay in the Newsletter, I already a have a soft copy saved.  I printed one but gave it to BBBOY when we met last week-end ;)
 Jean-Louis Barrault

• BBM Addict for Life.
  • Jack + Ennis
  • It's A BBM Love Affair
« Reply #13 on: Aug 12, 2007, 04:30 PM »
It's the reason why we mentioned the essay in the Newsletter, I already a have a soft copy saved.  I printed one but gave it to BBBOY when we met last week-end ;)

Was it this week's newsletter or before?  Thank you for giving BBBOY a copy.  I think he will like it!

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #14 on: Aug 12, 2007, 04:30 PM »
Yup, it's in this week's Newsletter ;)
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
  • There will never be another Heath
« Reply #15 on: Aug 13, 2007, 02:02 PM »
This article gave me chills. Very strong writing, it ripped my heart out in more than one place. From the very beginning when he described the movie as "this story about the total destruction of a real and human love" I got goosebumps. And he had some very thought-provoking ideas.

"the film suggests that our society’s compassion toward its minority groups must be measured not by the anomalous, hit-or-miss success stories that spring up now and then in spite of discrimination, but by the people who drown along the way, the nameless ones who fail to survive."

:\'( :\'(
The truth is... sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it.

• BBM Addict for Life.
  • Jack + Ennis
  • It's A BBM Love Affair
« Reply #16 on: Aug 13, 2007, 02:54 PM »
Powerful stuff huh? :\'(

Offline jason

• Lureen
« Reply #17 on: Aug 18, 2007, 01:09 AM »
... I stumbled across this essay on Brokeback Mountain.
I'm not sure how old it is.  It was an interesting essay.  The author posted some very thought provoking insights ...

http://www.ejumpcut.org/trialsite/brokebackmt/index.html

CSC,  thanks for pointing us to this neat, perceptive essay (dated in JumpCut mag as "spring 2007," by the way). :^^)

Just read it -- many phrases jumped out at me.  Here's one: 
   "there is a constant feel of lurking terror and dread."

Maybe this doesn't resonate with too many folks, but it sure does with me, being brought up in the equivalent of Wyomin and in 60s.  Always wondered why I was failing to pick up on so many of the subtleties in BBM --Jack looks at the clown in the bar just a little too long, and at the husband at the dance just a little too long, for example.

Now I know: at some level I was scared of these moments, dreaded them, and rivetted by them -- and wanted to get past them fast before anyone saw, back to emotionally safe/flat/dull ground again.  Because where I was brought up you just couldn't go to those places, unthinkable places.  %(   Imagine such powerful blocking off of emotions. Real taboo stuff.

So I just watched BBM again after months.  After so many viewings (25?) and reading so many posts and a few of these amazing essays, I'm really seeing all the subtleties now.  Thought I was just slow.  :s)  But now I see I had a real obstacle to get over in this movie that veers so close to dangerous things, ... (at least how I used to think of them, as a kid in the navy, on the mine ... etc.) --  and then of course the movie even *gets* there!    :d)

I think Ang Lee really understands this level of dread and taboo.

And I think the US, at least in cities, is way beyond this kind of dread.  Progress in 3-4 decades.  This is really hopeful.  Even tho some younger viewers might not get this facet of the movie always.

jason
Let be, let be

• BBM Addict for Life.
  • Jack + Ennis
  • It's A BBM Love Affair
« Reply #18 on: Aug 18, 2007, 08:45 AM »
Maybe this doesn't resonate with too many folks, but it sure does with me, being brought up in the equivalent of Wyomin and in 60s.  Always wondered why I was failing to pick up on so many of the subtleties in BBM --Jack looks at the clown in the bar just a little too long, and at the husband at the dance just a little too long, for example.

Now I know: at some level I was scared of these moments, dreaded them, and rivetted by them -- and wanted to get past them fast before anyone saw, back to emotionally safe/flat/dull ground again.  Because where I was brought up you just couldn't go to those places, unthinkable places.  %(   Imagine such powerful blocking off of emotions. Real taboo stuff.

jason you made me take a look back to my early years.  Because of my own upbringing and environment, I learned early on to limit my eye contact with men I found attractive.  This was especially difficult when I was in the service. Sometimes I think I would take great personal steps to ensure no one was clued into the fact the I might be gay. Short of dating women as a "cover," there was little about my persona that drew attention.  Although it was the early 80's, I still felt I needed to be on guard all the time unless I was actually in a gay bar.  I'm just glad I was able to shed some of the shell I created by the time I reached my thirties.

Offline proulxfan

• Alma
  • " You know I ain't queer!"
« Reply #19 on: Aug 19, 2007, 01:44 PM »
CSC,

I must also add my thanks for posting this. As food for thought goes, this represents a true banquet. I like how the author echoes Annie Proulx's and Larry McMurtry's perspective on how the landscapes in the picture are both breathtakingly beautiful and simultaneously hostile.

And it brings up an addtional point that hits a little closer to home:

"And I think the US, at least in cities, is way beyond this kind of dread.  Progress in 3-4 decades.  This is really hopeful.  Even tho some younger viewers might not get this facet of the movie always."

jason

True on both counts, and the difficulty in conveying this sense to younger people is both gratifying and, sometimes, frustrating.

But as my partner and I both live in a rural setting, and are pretty open about who we are and why we're together, I am uneasy about Mr. Vicari's premise that "public liberation" for gays is limited to a few urban areas. All of our neighbors are aware of our story, but at the same time we are not really close with any of them, and I find myself wondering if we are at times the unwitting targets of comments like those made by Jack's co-workers.

We also had to have the paper work for co-owning our house, and all the related insurance documents drawn up in the closest town, which again makes our situation a matter of public record. We didn't get any obvious flack about any of it, but when I read things like this, I can't help but pause, and have a bit more empathy with Ennis's point-of-view.

:s)

Jack: " Nice to know you, Ennis Del Mar."

Offline yncroger

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #20 on: Aug 19, 2007, 02:03 PM »
But even in the cities, the hate is still evident.  I live in Honolulu, and when I go out of my house I am wearing my Brokeback Mountain, baseball cap, I can see the hate in some of the people I pass while I am walking.  Every one in my complex knows that I am gay, and there are some who talk bad about me, I hear from other people who live here.  So, yes I can relate to Ennis's fear.  :-\\

• BBM Addict for Life.
  • Jack + Ennis
  • It's A BBM Love Affair
« Reply #21 on: Aug 19, 2007, 04:38 PM »
Although there has been major progress in some areas I still feel some level of dread still exists...for good reason.  I live in a city that's rather large for my state.  I am still careful just how much I discuss about myself to the general public.

Offline Stephen

• Alma
  • Tragedy: "Wisdom too late."
« Reply #22 on: Aug 21, 2007, 08:34 AM »
Thank you so much for bringing this article to our attention; it's a wonderful retrospective of the film, bringing to it fresh insights......Stephen. 
"One more chain to break to get closer to you"

Offline lancecowboy

• Jack + Ennis
  • free to be, Always
« Reply #23 on: Aug 21, 2008, 12:16 AM »
Does anyone have a copy of this essay? The link no longer works.

Thanks in advance.
Heath, you are loved, like this, always.

Offline Stephen

• Alma
  • Tragedy: "Wisdom too late."
« Reply #24 on: Aug 21, 2008, 09:47 AM »
I'll check my files to see if I made a copy; if you don't hear back from me within two days, you know I could not retrieve it......Stephen.
"One more chain to break to get closer to you"

Offline rdx

• Jack
« Reply #25 on: Jun 19, 2010, 11:49 AM »
Here's an updated link:

http://www.ejumpcut.org/archive/jc49.2007/brokebackmt/index.html

Striking analysis on Ennis, I think.

"I'm spurrin' his guts out! Wavin' to the girls in the stands! He's kickin' me to high heaven, but he don't jackboard me! No!" Jack

Offline lancecowboy

• Jack + Ennis
  • free to be, Always
« Reply #26 on: Jun 21, 2010, 12:12 AM »
Thanks, rdx. It is indeed an insightful analysis, especially in its comparing Brokeback Mountain with other films. A very knowledgeable author of films.

I am particularly impressed with it pointing out Brokeback Mountain was NOT a film about two gay cowboys, not even about two gay men, or two men in love. What was most poignant, in my humble opinion, is the assertion that Brokeback Mountain was about homophobia - the pink elephant in the room that are not discussed in polite company. Brokeback Mountain was not made for the gay community, in the sense of Gay Pride, but for the community at large, in the sense of "This is what we do to our people." Is it any wonder that the film has such an impact on straight people, perhaps even more so than on today's liberated gay male or female?

I also applaud the discussion on the film's treading into territory seldom explored by the gay community, the role of women in gay men's lives. I cannot speak to the veracity of what was said about women's fears, but it rings true that marriage is a negotiated contract to alleviate the fears of each of the sexes." I am only disappointed that out of the whole essay, one aspect which was never raised, the role of Jack's Ma. Almost every other characters was mentioned in the essay, even Jack's Pa, but not a word about the impact of Jack's Ma on Jack, or on Ennis.

I found something else written by the same author, a remembrance of Heath, and reading it brought tears. So be warned if you don't want to feel PHS, don't read it:

http://www.brightlightsfilm.com/59/59heath.php

Thanks again rdx, for digging up the essay.  :t) :c) ^f^

Heath, you are loved, like this, always.