Author Topic: Heath Ledger - News Articles and Tributes  (Read 644425 times)

Offline FlwrChild

• Jack + Ennis
Re: Heath Ledger - News Articles and Tributes
« Reply #150 on: Jan 29, 2008, 11:48 PM »
I'm sorry if this action seemed in any way arbitrary. Please refer to PM for further explanation. Let's keep it out of the threads. I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have about the moderating team's decisions and policies. Thank you for your cooperation. :)
For a moment in our lives. Forever in our hearts.

"They were respectful of each other’s opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had been expected." ~ BBM Short Story

There are three ways to ultimate success:
The first way is to be kind. The second way is to be kind. The third way is to be kind. (Mister Rogers)

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #151 on: Jan 30, 2008, 12:21 AM »
Respect of each other is the rule number one here, may I kindly remind everyone the right to post is a privilege.   
La dictature c'est ''ferme ta geule'', la démocratie c'est ''cause toujours''
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline lancecowboy

• Jack + Ennis
  • free to be, Always
« Reply #152 on: Jan 30, 2008, 01:42 AM »
Why don't you want to discuss important issues? I have as much or more respect for this young man I imagine than either of many.

Hi, EthanFrome, I don't know what was edited, and I am also a relatively new comer to this forum.

I understand your pain at losing someone you admire so, and I appreciate your wish to learn as much as you can about the circumstance that took away so much from you. I did, too, and still do.

Having said that, I think it is important to remember that there are many lies floating around in the world, and it is unfair to people who loves Heath so much, that a single lie can be devastatingly painful to overcome.

I trust the moderators of this forum to be compassionate, and has the best interest of every member in their consideration. You are not alone in having a post edited. I myself have been warned on numerous occasions. It is out of respect for Heath, who we all love, and consideration for others that we tread carefully, and speak softly. There is no need to rush to judgment on what happened. Does it matter what really happened? Does it change the fact that we lost a great gifted man, an actor with talents to burn, with sensitivity that can touch many souls?

No "truth" can set us free from this tragedy. Sometimes, if you can't fix it, you gotta stand it.

Time will tell the truth eventually. Whatever happened, it was tragic, and with any tragedy, compassion is the first order of business. Fact finding has its place, and time.

I hope you find comfort here, eventually.

:ghug:
Heath, you are loved, like this, always.

Offline titabeille

• Any friend of yours is a friend of mine
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Heath, I swear...
« Reply #153 on: Jan 30, 2008, 02:53 AM »
http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20173197,00.html

I have found this link in my "Google alerts about Jake Gyllenhaal".  Hope I doesn't offended someone  :s)

Simone
It could be like this, always like this....
Sometimes I miss you so much, I can't understand it.

As you get old you begin to wonder-
what was all that lightning and thunder
actually about ? (Gavin Ewart)

Offline Koka

• Heath, I swear!
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Where bluebirds sing and there's a whiskey spring
« Reply #154 on: Jan 30, 2008, 07:47 AM »
An article about Jake coping....

Hope this is the right place to post it, if not, please edit!

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20174820,00.html
Why should I be out of mind
because I am out of sight?
I am waiting for you,
for an interval,
somewhere very near,
just around the corner.
All is well.

Offline NoReins

• Jack + Ennis
  • Redlined it all the way
« Reply #155 on: Jan 30, 2008, 08:04 AM »
A small excerpt from the story Koka just posted - hope no-one minds, it just seemed kinda sweet and worth posting.

The 27-year-old's somber mood is a sharp contrast to the happier times on the set of Brothers. During one intense early prison scene, Gyllenhaal jokingly reached into his pocket and took out a picture of his Brokeback beau to stick on the prison wall. "Like those prisoners put [loved ones] on the wall, but Jake's was Heath Ledger," one set source recalls. "That was hilarious. It was a nice moment."

The source adds, "When you think back on it now, it's touching."

He will be eternally missed, but he will never be forgotten

Christopher Nolan, accepting the Best Supporting Actor Golden Globe on Heath's behalf.

He was, as an actor and a professional and a human being, one of a kind

Charles Roven, accepting Heath's BAFTA.

This award tonight would have humbly validated Heath's quiet determination to be truly accepted by you all here — his peers within an industry he so loved.

Kim Ledger, accepting Heath's Oscar.

Offline tpe

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #156 on: Jan 30, 2008, 08:09 AM »
Friends, I quote here the first post of this thread, and ask all members to take heed of what was initially requested.

Again, please note that moderating actions are made in order to account for everyone's feelings.  Please don't take such actions personally, as they are never intended to shame any member who posts something that is edited later on.

We thank everyone for their contributions and request your patience and understanding in this time of grief.

In keeping with the forum guidelines that wish to preserve clarity and cohesion in the various threads, this topic has been created for members to post and read news articles and tributes dealing with Heath.

Henceforth, please use the thread Heath Ledger - In Loving Memory  to share your feelings and/or to commiserate with other members.

Use this thread to post and comment on news updates and tribute articles pertaining to Heath.

Out of respect for Heath, we ask members to please be very selective when posting articles on this thread.  Specifically, we do not want this place to be used as a launching pad for articles that seek to foster gossip, rumors, and innuendoes that would be hurtful to the memory of Heath and to the feelings of his family, friends, and -- most especially -- other fans and members of this forum.

We discourage the posting of articles that foster hate, division, and the brand of intolerance that is so alien to the legacy of Heath and BBM.

We ask the members not to take it against the moderators if they intervene every once in a while in the interest of these aims.  Likewise, we do not hold any mistakes made against the members who post here.

We only seek to encourage a friendly and sympathetic exchange of information.

It is only through this that we can clarify Heath's legacy to us -- a legacy free from malicious speculation and/or outright lies.  He deserves no less.

Thank you!

Offline christie wood

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #157 on: Jan 30, 2008, 08:43 AM »
A small excerpt from the story Koka just posted - hope no-one minds, it just seemed kinda sweet and worth posting.

The 27-year-old's somber mood is a sharp contrast to the happier times on the set of Brothers. During one intense early prison scene, Gyllenhaal jokingly reached into his pocket and took out a picture of his Brokeback beau to stick on the prison wall. "Like those prisoners put [loved ones] on the wall, but Jake's was Heath Ledger," one set source recalls. "That was hilarious. It was a nice moment."

That is sweet, and very very touching.  I feel so bad for Jake.   :\'(
"Look at my boots, old and dingy" - Heath Ledger

Offline Rosie

• Jack + Ennis
  • that old cold time
« Reply #158 on: Jan 30, 2008, 08:44 AM »
Ditto.  :\'(
Danny and me, Danny and me,  Danny and me and the sea,
Bobbing out of Pleasure Bay, the islands on our lee;
Spectacle, Georges, Gallops, the sun-wash on the brine
Castle Island where Skovo danced a bear-dance in bear-time.
The Golden Boy has chosen, I know what I will be
Danny and me, seanchai, Danny and me and the sea.

A Map of the Harbor Islands JG Hayes

Offline tpe

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #159 on: Jan 30, 2008, 08:45 AM »

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20174829,00.html

HEATH LEDGER
The Mourning After
As his peers and fans make sense of a tragic loss, questions remain about the actor's final projects
By Nicole Sperling

Excerpt:

Ledger's loyal fan base, meanwhile, keeps replenishing the makeshift memorial that has sprung up outside the Broome St. apartment in New York City where the actor was found on Jan. 22... Dozens of brightly colored origami cranes have been sprinkled on piles of flowers, while passersby dropped handwritten messages like ''Yesterday you were a star, today you are a legend for New York. Thank you for being a member of our Brooklyn family.''

Offline janicka

• Cassie
« Reply #160 on: Jan 30, 2008, 09:05 AM »

Well, my report about Jake Gyllenhaal has been edited, too. I admit it was taken from an improper source. But I would like to emphasize that I am not interested in gossips and speculations about how JG is feeling right now. Everybody can just imagine that!
Anyway, what really warms me and what I have needed to hear is that he really cares, that he stopped the shooting and went immediately back. In the article above (although the source is unknown) are beautiful words which help me bear this sorrow a little.

Offline jacks_key

• Jack + Ennis
  • We'll always have Brokeback...
« Reply #161 on: Jan 30, 2008, 09:36 AM »

We knew that Jake would take the news very hard; this proves it.  It also proves that the production crew of Brothers was *not* preventing him from leaving, he in fact was given time to grieve.  (I've read stories that claimed the exact opposite.  I'm glad they are not true.)
Heath Ledger: 1979-2008
Never enough time, never enough.

Offline jackster

• Ennis
  • dumbass missin'
« Reply #162 on: Jan 30, 2008, 12:36 PM »
The 27-year-old's somber mood is a sharp contrast to the happier times on the set of Brothers. During one intense early prison scene, Gyllenhaal jokingly reached into his pocket and took out a picture of his Brokeback beau to stick on the prison wall. "Like those prisoners put [loved ones] on the wall, but Jake's was Heath Ledger," one set source recalls.

This is so wonderful. It must have been hilarious when Jake did this, what, more than two years later? To me it shows how he'll never forget what a shining moment it was. And how he must be torn up inside now. As Godfather to Matilda it will certainly be bittersweet for him in future years to watch her grow up in the image of her father (and mother). How fortunate he is, and will be, to have this living reminder of their time and friendship together.
we get to drinkin' and talkin' an all

Offline tenterfieldgal

• Cassie
« Reply #163 on: Jan 30, 2008, 12:56 PM »
Hi all,

I just posted this on a different thread, but maybe it should have gone here. I hope you don't mind the re-post:

Hello everyone,

My name is Loretta. I am a new member and this is my first post. I am a heterosexual female, but Brokeback Mountain had a profound affect on me…for lots of reasons and on many levels. The first time I saw the movie I sobbed uncontrollably…the second time my eyes remained dry, but I was left with a clenching in my chest that I could not loosen. It was then that – hoping to purge some of the heartache – I wrote a poem called “Jack, I Swear”. It remained a poem for almost 2 years until a good friend wrote some music. I went to Nashville in early December and had it recorded as a demo (sung by my co-writer.) It was written in honor of Brokeback Mountain, Heath and Jake for playing those parts so beautifully, 2 of my very dear gay friends and for equality for everyone. I would love everyone here to hear it as my special tribute to Heath Ledger at this incredibly sad time. I am absolutely devastated by the news. We have lost an actor with integrity...a very rare thing these days. His performance as Ennis has affected me like no other in my lifetime. . I am going though my days with a lump in my throat, a pain in my heart and a whole in my spirit.

Anyway...if you’d like to listen, you can hear it uploaded on:

http://www.myspace.com/ret4  -- and it is set as the first song to auto play.

This isn't about promoting a song -- it never was from the start -- It's more about promoting change and touching hearts. I hope Heath can hear it and knows just how much his performance as Ennis has meant to so many people. He changed minds and hearts -- not to mention lives.
Thanks for taking the time to read this. I hope you’ll listen.

Loretta
http://www.myspace.com/ret4

"Magic is magic no matter how it comes to you or how long overdue or how you say it's name." Peter Allen ("Interesting Changes" 1977)

babytammy7

« Reply #164 on: Jan 30, 2008, 01:09 PM »

That's utterly beautiful and sweet. Oh my, one week ago I'd laughted a lot but now I only can cry.  :\'(  :\'( Poor Jake.

Offline cowgirlKt!

• Alma
  • brokeback dreaming....
« Reply #165 on: Jan 30, 2008, 02:04 PM »

thanks for this. :t) interesting read and makes me smile the end bit :) even if i do feel sorrow at the same time! :(

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
  • There will never be another Heath
« Reply #166 on: Jan 30, 2008, 02:53 PM »
Wes Bentley Remembers Ledger as a 'Vibrant Man'

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20174775,00.html

The reclusive actor Wes Bentley made a rare public statement Tuesday to remember his friend Heath Ledger as a "man who spread so much spark to so many people."

Capitalizing letters for emphasis, the American Beauty star described Ledger, who was found dead last week, as "a Vibrant Man, a Brave Actor, a Passionate Father and a Friend Forever."

"Heath was an essential piece of my Life," wrote Bentley, 29, who costarred with Ledger in 2002's Four Feathers. "At one point we were as close as two people could get without being blood. That closeness came from sharing a similar, life-altering experience in life at a young age where very few could relate and those who could often were pre-occupied with competition. It would have been isolating, not to mention boring, without him."

Added Bentley, who didn't make another film until five years after Four Feathers, "I don't know if I could have come back without him."

In fact it was because of Bentley turning down a part that Ledger got one of his breakthrough roles: that of the suicidal prison guard's son in Monster's Ball.

"(Wes) was signed up to play that part and he pulled out in the last minute because he really doesn't like to work that much," Ledger said in 2005. "I think they were threatening to sue him. So he asked me to do this for him to get him out of trouble. It was a great opportunity for me and I took it. It was a nice gift from Wes."

In his statement, Bentley urged people to "resist our routine chore of dwelling on a celebrities moments at Death, taking what is essentially inconsequential to a man's definition and making it his Legacy."

"While most of us forget we're alive and are dead on our feet, Heath woke up everyday excited about what was out there to enjoy," wrote Bentley. "He lived in a way that spread so much spark to so many people every day he had. Heath not only lived for himself, if he could've he would Lived for all of us as well. That was his way."

The Arkansas-born Bentley, who parents are both Methodist Ministers, concluded his statement with, "My Prayers are with all who loved him, his Family, Michelle, and Matilda."
The truth is... sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it.

Offline tpe

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #167 on: Jan 30, 2008, 03:03 PM »
In his statement, Bentley urged people to "resist our routine chore of dwelling on a celebrities moments at Death, taking what is essentially inconsequential to a man's definition and making it his Legacy."

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #168 on: Jan 30, 2008, 04:28 PM »
A very moving fairwell from director Shekhar Kapur.

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20173473,00.html

Lamenting his loss, Kapur writes, "In Heath I have lost a younger brother He was one the most gentle, the most honest, most caring and most compassionate persons I had met. And one of the most honest actors I worked with."

Of Ledger's talent," I often told him that he had the ability to completely bare his soul in front of the camera, and all I needed to do was make sure the camera could look into his eyes, and through his eyes, the audience could clearly look into his soul," says Kapur.

The moviemaker concludes, "Farewell Heath. I always knew you had an ancient soul. I always said you had a wisdom beyond your years. And somehow I always knew that your spirit was too restless. Goodbye, my brother."

babytammy7

« Reply #169 on: Jan 30, 2008, 04:38 PM »
A very moving fairwell from director Shekhar Kapur.

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20173473,00.html

Lamenting his loss, Kapur writes, "In Heath I have lost a younger brother He was one the most gentle, the most honest, most caring and most compassionate persons I had met. And one of the most honest actors I worked with."

Of Ledger's talent," I often told him that he had the ability to completely bare his soul in front of the camera, and all I needed to do was make sure the camera could look into his eyes, and through his eyes, the audience could clearly look into his soul," says Kapur.

The moviemaker concludes, "Farewell Heath. I always knew you had an ancient soul. I always said you had a wisdom beyond your years. And somehow I always knew that your spirit was too restless. Goodbye, my brother."

Very touching....So beautiful words.

Offline trekfan

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #170 on: Jan 30, 2008, 05:03 PM »

This was so touching.   Jake using Heath's photo for the prison scene, clowning around.   I bet there was plenty of clowning around moments between him and Heath on BBM.

It will be so sad for him to watch Matilda grow up without her father but I assume also comforting to know he can help her and let her know about her father.

Step into the role of godfather. I know Heath would be glad Jake is there. 

Aren't we at the stage these days when it just doesn't ... matter? It's a story of love and it's a story between two people. If people can't get over that and just accept it as a story, then that's their problem. I'm big enough and brave enough to do it. - Heath Ledger on doing BBM

Offline ksxks

• Jack + Ennis
  • brokeback got us good
« Reply #171 on: Jan 31, 2008, 12:12 AM »
This is so wonderful. It must have been hilarious when Jake did this, what, more than two years later? To me it shows how he'll never forget what a shining moment it was. And how he must be torn up inside now. As Godfather to Matilda it will certainly be bittersweet for him in future years to watch her grow up in the image of her father (and mother). How fortunate he is, and will be, to have this living reminder of their time and friendship together.

How fortunate we all are that he had a child!  I do feel it would have been sadder if he had not.

kathy
They were respectful of each other's opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had been expected.

Offline hpv

• Jack + Ennis
  • Anything interesting up there in heaven?
« Reply #172 on: Jan 31, 2008, 02:32 AM »
Wes Bentley Remembers Ledger as a 'Vibrant Man'

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20174775,00.html
"While most of us forget we're alive and are dead on our feet, Heath woke up everyday excited about what was out there to enjoy," wrote Bentley. "He lived in a way that spread so much spark to so many people every day he had. Heath not only lived for himself, if he could've he would Lived for all of us as well. That was his way."
What a wonderful state!!!  <^( <^(
"What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close,the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger."
"I miss you so much I can hardly stand it."

Offline myprivatejack

• Jack + Ennis
  • It could be like this,just like this...always
« Reply #173 on: Jan 31, 2008, 07:51 AM »
A friend has just sent me an article in an Australian newpapers about Heath´s passing.She says that in her opinion it really picture why lot of people who didn´t know him and were not gans of him,have been grieving now.

http://search.smh.com.au/click.ac?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.smh.com.au%2Fnews%2Fheath-ledger%2Fheath-ledgers-death-strikes-a-chord%2F2008%2F01%2F24%2F1201025047245.html&
Ennis’s eyes gone bright with shock, mouth opening then closing again. “Love?” Ennis said finally, voice strangling in his throat.

Jack smiled sad. “Yeah, Ennis. Love.” Leaned forward and kissed Ennis’s temple, whispered, “What’d you think it was, all this time?”
("If I asked")
                         ----------------
Heathcliff Andrew Ledger (1979-2008)/Rajel Karen Ashkenazi (1986-2008)
You will be forever in my heart,friends.

Offline tpe

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #174 on: Jan 31, 2008, 08:57 AM »
News from the Santa Barbara Film Festival

http://www.independent.com/news/2008/jan/31/our-midfest-report-sbiff-2008/

Specifically:

The best moment on opening night was Executive Director Roger Durling’s tearful dedication of the fest to the memory of Heath Ledger, who appeared here for a post-Brokeback Mountain tribute only two years ago.

Offline christie wood

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #175 on: Jan 31, 2008, 09:45 AM »
I'm so glad Heath's passing has been recognised by the SBFF.  I loved his speech when he accepted his award there for BBM. 
"Look at my boots, old and dingy" - Heath Ledger

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #176 on: Jan 31, 2008, 12:12 PM »
The best moment on opening night was Executive Director Roger Durling’s tearful dedication of the fest to the memory of Heath Ledger, who appeared here for a post-Brokeback Mountain tribute only two years ago.

I'm so touched! And yes Christie, Heath's speech at Santa Barbara was really amazing.

Offline froggy

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Ennis for Mr Brokeback 2007!!!
« Reply #177 on: Jan 31, 2008, 12:16 PM »
I'm so touched! And yes Christie, Heath's speech at Santa Barbara was really amazing.

OMG...over a week now, and I still cry
Support bacteria, they are the only culture some people have!

If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I.
~ Michel Eyquem de Montaigne (1533-1592)

Heath, I swear ...

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #178 on: Jan 31, 2008, 12:49 PM »
OMG...over a week now, and I still cry

I know froggy, I know.

I've managed to write down Heath's speech... forgive me for any mistakes made, I couldn't hear all of it very clearly and I have English limitations. Feel free to correct me and fill in the blanks. In my opinion this is the most beautiful acceptance speech I've ever heard.

Heath's speech at the Santa Barbara Film Festival:

"... Thank you very very much for this and it's extremely generous of the Santa Barbara International film festival to be honoring my work so far, and I really am sincerily touched by this gesture."

"I guess... where's my sheet of paper thing... I guess I'd like to take the shine away from myself for a minute and acknowledge the directors who have helped and continue to help me understand what it means to be an actor (and here he goes to mention all the directors that he'd worked with up till then). I trully feel that if anything, I should be honoring them tonight. I'm greatful that these directors have given me the opportunity to discover that to be an actor has nothing to do with the way you live your life and the choices you make while living, but rather the way you live and the choices you make in between "action" and "cut". And these directors gave me the opportunity to be bad, to make mistakes, and to study and learn from my mistakes. Fortunately or unfortunately I was never exposed to the safe environment of an acting school and a black pair of pyjamas, no I didn't have a black room to experiment in, to privately dance within my dances on the film. And these directors trusted me and offered me their film set and their friendship as the safe environment for me to study and make discoveries on. So I apologise for the bad discoveries made along the way, but I do stand by the theory that in order to evolve and further yourself as an actor, you have to be fearless enough to allow yourself room for error. Sometimes you must scream out loud in order to discover a whisper. So I thank all these beautiful minds and... (I missed a part here) for putting up with my screams, and I thank everyone for their patience in waiting for me to find the whisper within the words. And here's to making more mistakes."

« Last Edit: Jan 31, 2008, 12:56 PM by keren_b »

Offline JT

• Jack + Ennis
  • Brokeback? Mountain? My home this is!
« Reply #179 on: Jan 31, 2008, 01:08 PM »

Thanks for this article!  This is kind of bitter sweet.