Author Topic: BBM the Opera  (Read 57152 times)

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
BBM the Opera
« on: Jun 09, 2008, 09:08 AM »
Expect me to attend when it finally shows:

http://www.upi.com/Entertainment_News/2008/06/09/Brokeback_Mountain_to_be_staged_as_opera/UPI-34811213014364/

-------------------------------

'Brokeback Mountain' to be staged as opera
Published: June 9, 2008 at 8:26 AMOrder reprints  |  Print Story  |  Email to a Friend  |  Post a Comment

NEW YORK, June 9 (UPI) -- The New York City Opera said it is planning to stage an adaptation of Annie Proulx's short story "Brokeback Mountain."

Proulx's work about a pair of cowboys who fall in love was the basis for Ang Lee's acclaimed 2005 film, which co-starred Jake Gyllenhaal and Heath Ledger.

The New York Times said the New York City Opera has hired composer Charles Wuorinen to create an opera based on the original story.

The opera is scheduled to premiere in 2013, the newspaper said.

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
BBM the Opera
« Reply #1 on: Jun 09, 2008, 09:15 AM »

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/09/arts/music/09arts-BROKEBACKTHE_BRF.html?_r=1&ref=arts&oref=slogin

‘Brokeback,’ the Opera  
Compiled by STEVEN McELROY
Published: June 9, 2008

The New York City Opera announced on Sunday that it had commissioned the Pulitzer Prize-winning composer Charles Wuorinen to create an opera based on the 1997 short story “Brokeback Mountain,” by Annie Proulx, that was the source of the Academy award-winning film of 2005, directed by Ang Lee and starring Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal. The opera is scheduled for a premiere in 2013. City Opera has commissioned Mr. Wuorinen once before, for “Haroun and the Sea of Stories,” which opened in 2004 and was based on the novel by Salman Rushdie.

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
BBM the Opera
« Reply #2 on: Jun 09, 2008, 12:38 PM »
Is this for real?  Thanks for the news, tpe.

I have a mixed feeling on this. 2013 - five years of producing this. Wow...I hope it is gonna be good.
Remembering Pierre (chameau) 1960-2015, a "Capricorn bro and crazy Frog Uncle from the North Pole." You are missed

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
BBM the Opera
« Reply #3 on: Jun 09, 2008, 01:57 PM »
Is this for real?  Thanks for the news, tpe.

I have a mixed feeling on this. 2013 - five years of producing this. Wow...I hope it is gonna be good.

I hope so too, Ethan!

2013 seem like a long way off, but I think they are going about this very carefully.  That's a good sign.  They want to make sure that this is something worthy of the material.

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
BBM the Opera
« Reply #4 on: Jun 09, 2008, 03:16 PM »
I'm like Ethan about this, I have mixed feelings like I cannot disassocite Gustavo's music from the story.  However I loved every show I saw at the NYCO, so a trip to N.Y. is scheduled for 2013 :)
La dictature c'est ''ferme ta geule'', la démocratie c'est ''cause toujours''
 Jean-Louis Barrault

manhattangirl

BBM the Opera
« Reply #5 on: Jun 09, 2008, 05:15 PM »

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/09/arts/music/09arts-BROKEBACKTHE_BRF.html?_r=1&ref=arts&oref=slogin

‘Brokeback,’ the Opera  

The New York City Opera announced on Sunday that it had commissioned the Pulitzer Prize-winning composer Charles Wuorinen to create an opera based on the 1997 short story “Brokeback Mountain,” by Annie Proulx, that was the source of the Academy award-winning film of 2005, directed by Ang Lee and starring Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal. The opera is scheduled for a premiere in 2013. City Opera has commissioned Mr. Wuorinen once before, for “Haroun and the Sea of Stories,” which opened in 2004 and was based on the novel by Salman Rushdie.

I read the article this morning on the way to work, God, I'll be first on line to get my ticket.

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
BBM the Opera
« Reply #6 on: Jun 09, 2008, 06:14 PM »
I read the article this morning on the way to work, God, I'll be first on line to get my ticket.

I'll be right behind you, MG!  :)

Offline Lis

• BBM Addict for Life
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Heath, we swear...
BBM the Opera
« Reply #7 on: Jun 09, 2008, 08:00 PM »

I don't know if I'm the only one but I'm very much aganist the production of this "opera". Brokeback Mountain was a landmark film and was something that, really couldn't be unmatched. To make it into an opera, just seems so..weird to me.  ???
"The day I stop having fun, I'll just walk away." -- Heath Ledger

"For a moment in our lives, forever in our hearts." -- Heath Ledger, 1/22/08

"In the dark, I really felt like I could escape to anywhere.
To a place where anything could happen at any time.
Where chaos could reign but the world would never end."
-- Noah Mayer

As the World Turns -- April 2, 1956 - September 17, 2010

manhattangirl

BBM the Opera
« Reply #8 on: Jun 09, 2008, 08:17 PM »
I'll be right behind you, MG!  :)

Then it's a date. :)

Offline Raisa

• Jack + Ennis
BBM the Opera
« Reply #9 on: Jun 10, 2008, 02:39 AM »

‘Brokeback,’ the Opera  

I read this news this morning from a Finnish newspaper.

Well, my first impression was comical, sorry. Jack and Ennis galloping around green fields with sheep and singing "opera style"..... ;D

Certainly this is interesting production. Let's see what it will be.
”It is said some lives are linked across time. Connected by an ancient calling that echoes through the ages. Destiny.”

Prince of Persia
---------------------
"Jack, I swear -"  he said, though Jack had never asked him to swear anything and was himself not the swearing kind.

manhattangirl

BBM the Opera
« Reply #10 on: Jun 10, 2008, 04:37 AM »
I didn't think Phantom of the Opera would be much of a musical. *^)

Offline tizi17

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
  • I love you Ennis, always did and always will..
BBM the Opera
« Reply #11 on: Jun 10, 2008, 05:38 AM »
I read this news this morning from a Finnish newspaper.

Well, my first impression was comical, sorry. Jack and Ennis galloping around green fields with sheep and singing "opera style"..... ;D

Certainly this is interesting production. Let's see what it will be.

:8 :8 :8 :8 :8

sorry, but that image was too hilarious...

but you know with today's way of having opera or theater decor and stage setting...we might just get a black wall and some stones...

BUT.. we should ALL be at the premiere...
".. a love that dare not speak its name.." oscar wilde

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
BBM the Opera
« Reply #12 on: Jun 10, 2008, 07:48 AM »
Opera can be very very dark and powerful.  It is a wonderful medium of expression -- the summit in the marriage of musci, words, and acting -- if close to the ideal.

Offline tizi17

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
  • I love you Ennis, always did and always will..
BBM the Opera
« Reply #13 on: Jun 10, 2008, 11:20 AM »
i am with you thomas... i heard gerard mortier was along with this.. and they surely will try to make a good thing..

so.. when do we book our rooms for the premiere?  ;)
".. a love that dare not speak its name.." oscar wilde

Offline chudleycanons

• Cassie
BBM the Opera
« Reply #14 on: Jun 10, 2008, 01:08 PM »
Hi, I'm pretty new to this forum but I have an important Brokeback issue to discuss.

So, I don't know if you've all heard, but they have already started to write 'Brokeback Mountain: The Musical'.

It is due to be out on stage in 2013 and so far they have approached actors Hugh Jackman and James Marsden to play our beloved Jack and Ennis. It will be non stop singing. That's right, that means a singing lake scene, a singing reunion scene... probably also a singing finding the shirts scene.

Personally, this news made me so angry that I was unable to construct understandable sentences for a long time. For me, no one can ever be Jack and Ennis except for Jake and Heath. I don't think I could bare to see them portrayed by anyone else. I was just wondering what you all feel about this news.

For more information about it, Google News has most of the information.

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
BBM the Opera
« Reply #15 on: Jun 10, 2008, 02:58 PM »
We merged your thread here since we already have a discussion about this, you will find many links to recent articles.
« Last Edit: Jun 11, 2008, 02:47 AM by chameau »
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline Raisa

• Jack + Ennis
BBM the Opera
« Reply #16 on: Jun 11, 2008, 02:08 AM »
It is due to be out on stage in 2013 and so far they have approached actors Hugh Jackman and James Marsden to play our beloved Jack and Ennis. It will be non stop singing. That's right, that means a singing lake scene, a singing reunion scene... probably also a singing finding the shirts scene.

Personally, this news made me so angry that I was unable to construct understandable sentences for a long time. For me, no one can ever be Jack and Ennis except for Jake and Heath. I don't think I could bare to see them portrayed by anyone else. I was just wondering what you all feel about this news.

Thanks for the news. If these rumours will come true, well, then OMG Hugh Jackman!  (t)  I must get the ticket!!!!! Five years to wait for 2013, but I can manage!

But I understand very well your feeling, that only Jake and Heath are the one and only real Jack and Ennis.
”It is said some lives are linked across time. Connected by an ancient calling that echoes through the ages. Destiny.”

Prince of Persia
---------------------
"Jack, I swear -"  he said, though Jack had never asked him to swear anything and was himself not the swearing kind.

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
BBM the Opera
« Reply #17 on: Jun 11, 2008, 07:19 AM »
i am with you thomas... i heard gerard mortier was along with this.. and they surely will try to make a good thing..

so.. when do we book our rooms for the premiere?  ;)

As soon as they become avaialble, of course!   ;D

Wouldn't it be super if some of the cast and crew attended it?

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
BBM the Opera
« Reply #18 on: Jun 11, 2008, 07:26 AM »
Hi, I'm pretty new to this forum but I have an important Brokeback issue to discuss.

So, I don't know if you've all heard, but they have already started to write 'Brokeback Mountain: The Musical'.

For more information about it, Google News has most of the information.

I am wonderding whether we are confusing 2 things here.  Prior to the news of BBM the Opera this weekend, there had been discussions of BBM made into a Musical, with Hugh Jackman and James Marsden to play the roles in the latter.  I think we discussed the latter (i.e., the Musical) sometime ago somewhere in this forum, and it was announced that Jackman and Marsden were being considered.  I have not heard anything about this recently...

But the news of BBM the Opera appears to be entirely separate, I think.  This is currently being commissioned by the NYC Opera and is scheduled to be performed in 2013.  I don't think Jackman and Marsden are being considered for the roles in this one.

chudleycanons, perhaps your news source got the 2 confused?  Or am I wrong?

Offline Raisa

• Jack + Ennis
BBM the Opera
« Reply #19 on: Jun 11, 2008, 12:29 PM »

OK, opera and musical. This makes sense, 'cos I was thinking earlier I didn't know Hugh J. can sing also real opera, but I know he has been in musicals.

Anyway, interesting to see what'll come up.

Prince of Persia
---------------------

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
BBM the Opera
« Reply #20 on: Jun 11, 2008, 03:52 PM »
OK, opera and musical. This makes sense, 'cos I was thinking earlier I didn't know Hugh J. can sing also real opera, but I know he has been in musicals.

Anyway, interesting to see what'll come up.

It would be interesting to see if either one will be realized in the near future!  :)

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
BBM the Opera
« Reply #21 on: Jun 11, 2008, 04:17 PM »
(off topic) wasn't there a musical made from Carmen?  :s)
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
BBM the Opera
« Reply #22 on: Jun 11, 2008, 05:48 PM »
(off topic) wasn't there a musical made from Carmen?  :s)

OT: I think so -- based on the story/opera, at the very least.  But I am not sure if it was more like an adaptation.  :)

Offline Kemmer

• Ennis
  • Ennis and Jack and The Mountain changed me forever
BBM the Opera
« Reply #23 on: Jun 11, 2008, 10:04 PM »
NEWSFLASH!

Charles Wuorinen is working on an OPERA version of Brokeback Mountain for the New York Met.

It's scheduled dbut is in 2012.  Something to go on living for.    :cr) (t)
Tell ya what...truth is...sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it.

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
BBM the Opera
« Reply #24 on: Jun 11, 2008, 10:51 PM »
Hi Kemmer, I merged your thread to this existing one, you will find here some very interesting links :)
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
BBM the Opera
« Reply #25 on: Jun 12, 2008, 07:25 AM »
Thanks Kemmer.  :)

Offline myprivatejack

• Jack + Ennis
  • It could be like this,just like this...always
BBM the Opera
« Reply #26 on: Jun 12, 2008, 11:01 AM »
I am afraid that only Lily and I will be the discordant notes - never better said… -in this concert of voices in favour of BBM opera...Of course,I know that our movie is a tragic story of impossible loves and dreams,that's implicit in many opera's "libretto";and whose greatness could be reinforced by the music's majesty as a way of remarking it.What is,if not,"La Traviatta" or "Turandot"?.
But,don't forget that these works had been created from the beginning for opera's orchestra,singers and music,in sum;BBM,not¡.In my opinion,it's a notable difference...Letting apart the fact that,for me,Jake can do as many roles in the future as he wants,he will be not only Jack Twist;but,also for me,Jack Twist ALWAYS WILL BE Jake Gyllenhaal.-and the same I could have said about Heath for a future that death has robbed to all of us...-.I don't know if all this makes sense.
And,well,maybe I'll ook like an ignorant,but...as Carmilla said,listening to two pretended Ennis and Jack singing that:-"Yooooouuuu knooooww I'm not queeeer",-"Meeeeee eeiiiitheeer", and the chorus repeating :-"Queeerrr,heee's noot queeer" at least is...is..well,put the adjective you want¡.JMHO.
Ennis’s eyes gone bright with shock, mouth opening then closing again. “Love?” Ennis said finally, voice strangling in his throat.

Jack smiled sad. “Yeah, Ennis. Love.” Leaned forward and kissed Ennis’s temple, whispered, “What’d you think it was, all this time?”
("If I asked")
                         ----------------
Heathcliff Andrew Ledger (1979-2008)/Rajel Karen Ashkenazi (1986-2008)
You will be forever in my heart,friends.

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
BBM the Opera
« Reply #27 on: Jun 12, 2008, 01:31 PM »
If you don't mind, before movies existed, many great theater plays (ex: Othello) or novels like La dame au Camelia that became La Traviata were taken to Opera versions, that was then a great accomplishment.  Don't forget great operas like Le Nozze Figaro were first of all novels.  I worry too but I'll give it a chance... my main concern is the sheep  :s)
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
BBM the Opera
« Reply #28 on: Jun 12, 2008, 02:10 PM »
Yes, many if not most of the great Operas started out in an entirely different medium -- like a novel, or a play, or even popular literature or poetry.

I think it depends on the skill of the composer, the production, and the singers.   The musician could make it into a totally modernist style.  Or else he could make it more popular and more accessible -- as in the style of a musical.

Whatever the case, they will probably select the singers accoridng to their singing prowess, and not for their acting talent, looks or for an appearance that is close to that given in the short story.   They will be sure to take liberties, just as Ang Lee took liberties with the original material.

The opera will certainly be different from the film and ss in many ways.  That is neither good nor bad...

Offline cowgirlKt!

• Alma
  • brokeback dreaming....
BBM the Opera
« Reply #29 on: Jun 12, 2008, 03:49 PM »
Hi all! I was on facebook and searched BBM and found some people talking about this....apparently BBM is going to be turned into an opera.....interesting....im guessing this is true?! :s)  did anyone know about this?! it says this news was added on 9th june, this monday gone.....

http://in.reuters.com/article/lifestyleMolt/idINSP4039520080609

So what do we think to this?! I guess its a way of keeping the film alive.... :)