Author Topic: News Coverage: 2009  (Read 36809 times)

Offline tizi17

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
  • I love you Ennis, always did and always will..
Re: News Coverage: 2009
« Reply #60 on: Sep 17, 2009, 03:35 AM »
and isn't that the truth?  <^(
".. a love that dare not speak its name.." oscar wilde

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #61 on: Sep 18, 2009, 06:59 AM »
and isn't that the truth?  <^(

It is!  :)

Offline myprivatejack

• Jack + Ennis
  • It could be like this,just like this...always
« Reply #62 on: Sep 18, 2009, 11:26 AM »
Four years after the movie’s release, we now know that Brokeback Mountain, both the mountain and the movie, was something very real. Did it change Hollywood? Did it change America?

I don’t know, and I don’t really care. But I know for a fact it changed me, profoundly and dramatically. And for most of you who voted in our movie poll, I suspect it changed you too.

You bet ¡  #s} Thank you for sharing,Thomas ¡
Ennis’s eyes gone bright with shock, mouth opening then closing again. “Love?” Ennis said finally, voice strangling in his throat.

Jack smiled sad. “Yeah, Ennis. Love.” Leaned forward and kissed Ennis’s temple, whispered, “What’d you think it was, all this time?”
("If I asked")
                         ----------------
Heathcliff Andrew Ledger (1979-2008)/Rajel Karen Ashkenazi (1986-2008)
You will be forever in my heart,friends.

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #63 on: Sep 21, 2009, 07:46 AM »
You're welcome, MPJ!  :)

Offline PST

• Cassie
"Whatever Happened to Ennis del Mar?" panel in LA!
« Reply #64 on: Oct 02, 2009, 02:13 PM »
When I inquired about the installation of the Brokeback Mountain Shirts at the Autry National Center Musuem in LA (that I visited this summer), I was told that there would be an associated panel discussion.  It's happenin Sunday, December 13 !     Below is the E-mail I just got from the Autry Center Public Relations Manager.

Anyone want to redline it to LA in December???   

I will post when they get the panelists lined up and let me know who they are.

Pete

In a message dated 10/2/2009 10:23:37 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time, ydeleon@autrynationalcenter.org writes:

Hi Pete,

I just got word that the panel discussion will take place December 13 from 2 to 5pm. It’s called Whatever Happened to Ennis del Mar? We do not have the panelists lined up yet but I’ll keep you posted. There will be a total of 4 panel discussions over a 12 month period.

On December 13th, 2009, Whatever Happened to Ennis del Mar? will be the first public LGBT program inspired by the installation of the iconic shirts from  “Brokeback Mountain.”  In this initial symposium, we bring together experts and advocates to explore the provocative question, “Whatever Happened to Ennis del Mar?”  In particular, that query invites commentary from a variety of perspectives about the history of homosexuality and its representation in the American West before, during, and after the era depicted in “Brokeback Mountain.”

Yadhira De Leon13/09
Sr. Manager, Public Relations
Autry National Center
323.667.2000, ext. 327
ydeleon@autrynationalcenter.org
http://www.autrynationalcenter.org/brokeback_mountain.php
I didn't know we was goin a get into this again -- yeah, I did. Redlined it all the way, couldn't get here fast enough.

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #65 on: Oct 02, 2009, 06:25 PM »
Thanks for posting the update PST, we merged your post with this existing thread where the exhibition at the Autry National Center was reported and discussed before.
La dictature c'est ''ferme ta geule'', la démocratie c'est ''cause toujours''
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline lancecowboy

• Jack + Ennis
  • free to be, Always
« Reply #66 on: Oct 02, 2009, 06:47 PM »
Thanks, Pete. That sure sounds like an interesting question. I will be sure to follow the discussion when it is made public.  :t)
Heath, you are loved, like this, always.

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #67 on: Oct 28, 2009, 08:41 AM »

http://www.metro.co.uk/metrolife/films/article.html?Ang_Lee_recalls_Heath_Ledger_kissing_scene&in_article_id=758376&in_page_id=27

Ang Lee recalls Heath Ledger kissing scene
Metro speaks exclusively to Ang Lee about Heath Ledger and new film Taking Woodstock
By ANN LEE - Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Talking Woodstock director Ang Lee talks about Heath Ledger

Director Ang Lee has spoken out about his favourite memory of Heath Ledger - a kissing scene between him and Jake Gyllenhaal while new girlfriend Michelle Williams was watching.
Lee was directing the trio Brokeback Mountain, which won Heath a best actor Oscar nomination for his role as a gay cowboy.

"I was directing Heath kissing [Jake Gyllenhaal] and I told him that you would never kiss a woman that hard," he told Metro exclusively.

"He needed to do it in a heroic Western way, more passionately."

"I remember seeing Michelle watching while we filmed - at that point they were already 'friends' - and she had a look of concentration on her face because she also thought he should be stronger with Jake."

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
At #2
« Reply #68 on: Nov 18, 2009, 10:27 AM »

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1091118/jsp/entertainment/story_11751605.jsp

100 OUT OF 10

This decade has brought some extraordinary shifts in the way films are made, and the way we watch them. But it’s not always easy to pinpoint exactly when those changes began — or where they will end. Many of the best films on this list — long-gestating triumphs such as In the Mood for Love or Spirited Away — were in development in the Nineties; others, now in production, will only see the light of day in a few years time. More than that, some of the key trends of the past 10 years — the DVD boom, faster broadband, YouTube — mean that today’s film fans have been watching, legally or illegally, movies from a bygone age. A fragmented, pick ’’ mix cinematic culture, represented on this list by highly referential films such as Kill Bill, Moulin Rouge! and Far from Heaven, is increasingly the norm, not the exception. Big studios have continued to focus on blockbusters and franchise-fare to boost their profits. This hasn’t always been bad — the Bourne and Lord of the Rings trilogies are terrific fun — but it’s striking that artistically successful, award-winning features such as There Will Be Blood and Milk have under-performed at the box office: how sombre they must seem to audiences weaned on Pirates of the Caribbean and Spider-Man. How CGI-depleted! How zombie-less! Documentaries — intimate (Etre et Avoir), epic (the nine-hour West of the Tracks) and idiosyncratic (The Gleaners and I) — have flourished, in part because of cheap digital technology, but also because that genre is given increasingly short-shrift on television. Animation — from the reliable Pixar stable to the Israeli Waltz with Bashir — has moved mainstream. The independent sector has become more international with the rise of Mexican drama, Korean horror, Romanian social realism. The succes d’estime of Steve McQueen’s Hunger and Apichatpong Weerasethakul’s Tropical Malady bodes well for the future of art film. Cinema, claimed by many to be moribund at the end of the Nineties, is still hungry, furious and vital...

2 Brokeback Mountain (Ang Lee, 2005): Director Ang Lee insists on calling this simply “a love story”but it broke new ground as a gay cowboy movie. Achingly moving, with career-high performances from Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal as the strong, silent, repressed lead characters. A stunning achievement, brilliantly executed, with an acute sense of time and location.

Offline tizi17

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
  • I love you Ennis, always did and always will..
« Reply #69 on: Nov 21, 2009, 05:36 AM »
not so sure where to post this...  :s)
tell me if i should move it, ok?

i found a treasure this week...  <^(

a copy of a german gay magazine, DU&ICH, march 2006, all about BBM, including the film poster....  (t)
i am just soooooo happy....  :d:

see?

and the back of the magazine...  <^(

".. a love that dare not speak its name.." oscar wilde

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #70 on: Nov 22, 2009, 11:48 AM »
What a wonderful find, tizi!

Nice cover.   #)

Offline myprivatejack

• Jack + Ennis
  • It could be like this,just like this...always
« Reply #71 on: Nov 23, 2009, 11:28 AM »
It's wonderful,Fausta ¡ (:* (:* (:* I only wish to know what they say in it...
Ennis’s eyes gone bright with shock, mouth opening then closing again. “Love?” Ennis said finally, voice strangling in his throat.

Jack smiled sad. “Yeah, Ennis. Love.” Leaned forward and kissed Ennis’s temple, whispered, “What’d you think it was, all this time?”
("If I asked")
                         ----------------
Heathcliff Andrew Ledger (1979-2008)/Rajel Karen Ashkenazi (1986-2008)
You will be forever in my heart,friends.

Offline Romeo164

• Jack
« Reply #72 on: Dec 11, 2009, 11:13 PM »
Not sure if this belongs here but in the US Bravo TV is showing Brokeback Mountain tonight through midnight.
Your folks just called you Ennis?

vedrana

« Reply #73 on: Dec 12, 2009, 05:38 AM »
Guys, I don't know if this has already been posted, but it strike me so much that I thought that I should share. And to add - I completely agree with this. More over, it was my opinion from the very beginning!!! Too many Ennis-Alma and Jack-Lureen pics in the presentation AND on the official site. I never understood why. Here's the article (enough of me :-X )

James Schamus: “[The] assertions here are unequivocal, hurtful, and remarkable”

An image from a for your consideration ad for "Brokeback Mountain," provided by Focus Features.

indieWIRE received the following from James Schamus this week, in a response to a recent indieWIRE article that mentioned “Brokeback Mountain.” We are publishing his comments in their entirety.

Recently, Peter Knegt posted an interesting blog entry on indieWIRE tracking the changes made to the trailer for Tom Ford’s upcoming film “A Single Man.” He then had this to say about its “de-gaying”:

“Call it the “Brokeback Mountain” approach.  When that film was released back in 2005, distributor Focus Features published a a series of “For Your Consideration” advertisements emphasizing the heterosexual relationships between both Heath Ledger and Michelle Williams’s characters, and Jake Gyllenhaal and Anne Hathaway’s (take a look for yourself here).  And we all know how “Brokeback Mountain”‘s Oscar campaign worked out in the end…”

If one went to the page Knegt linked to, one could see three selected “For Your Consideration” trade advertisements featuring Michelle Williams and Anne Hathaway in scenes with Jake Gyllenhall and Heath Ledger, preceded by the following:

A for your consideration ad for “Brokeback Mountain.” Image courtesy Focus Features.

“Check out my story on indieWIRE about the remarkable de-gaying of “A Single Man” in its new Oscar-buzz emphasized trailer, and take a trip down memory lane with these For Your Consideration ads for “Brokeback Mountain” back in 2005, which are oh so gay themselves….More whitewashing after the jump.”

Knegt’s assertions here are unequivocal, hurtful, and remarkable: that Focus Features deliberately “de-gayed” Brokeback’s marketing in the run-up to the Academy Awards, and that that strategy had something to do with the film’s not winning a Best Picture Oscar that year.  Needless to say, Knegt’s assertions are entirely false. By selectively presenting just three out of more than 28 of our award campaign looks; and by ignoring the enormous impact of our trailer, our poster, our massive publicity campaign, and the incredible groundswell of public debate and conversation about the film’s groundbreaking subject matter, Knegt deliberately attempts to paint our work in support of Michelle and Anne’s campaigns as some kind of “de-gaying” of the film, as if such a thing were even possible, let alone desirable, after the extraordinary reception of the film. I don’t believe Peter Knegt is being consciously sexist here, but the idea that we should have banished such tragically poignant images entirely from the awards campaign for the film – images that put our lead characters’ relationships with their wives into the mix, however modestly – would seem to me to have been a disservice to the film and to its supporting cast.

A for your consideration ad for “Brokeback Mountain.” Image courtesy Focus Features.

It is interesting that the fantasy – and indeed it is a fantasy – that somehow Brokeback’s marketing “whitewashed” the film still pops up from time to time, even among otherwise intelligent and informed observers of the film business such as Peter Knegt. I have dealt with this issue elsewhere, after Daniel Mendelsohn, in the pages of the New York Review of Books, went so far as to actually lie about the content of our press kit for the film. (You can read my final reply to him here.) I would be more than willing to discuss with Peter any time why such a powerful – and to me, clearly, a powerfully false – narrative frame for Brokeback’s release gets invoked as it does.  In the meantime, here are a few of the other trade ads for Brokeback that I wish indieWIRE would have also reproduced. They speak for themselves.

James Schamus is chief executive officer (CEO) of Focus Features. He has the unique distinction of being an award-winning screenwriter and producer who is also a film executive. He has had a long collaboration as writer and producer with Ang Lee on eleven feature films, with the director’s “Brokeback Mountain” released worldwide through Focus Features. Mr. Schamus is also Professor in Columbia University’s School of the Arts, where he teaches film history and theory.

http://www.indiewire.com/article/2009/12/11/james_schamus_the_assertions_here_are_unequivocal_hurtful_and_remarkable/

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #74 on: Dec 29, 2009, 08:41 PM »
Sorry I missed your last post here, loreen!  Thanks.  :)

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #75 on: Dec 29, 2009, 08:46 PM »
One of the last news article posts in 2009?  And BBM fashion!  ;)

http://tmagazine.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/12/29/naughtie-behavior-the-decade-in-film-style/

------------------------

Naughtie Behavior | The Decade in Film Style

Focus Films/Everett Collection
“Brokeback Mountain,” at the beginning the men’s workwear style stampede.

“Brokeback Mountain” (2005)
The cowboy look is a men’s fashion perennial that rides back into the fashion arena every few seasons.  But since “Brokeback Mountain,” which featured enough plaid snap-button shirts, denim jackets and boots to rival a Gene Autry retrospective, the trend for ranch dressing has endured. The most famous fashion legacy is undoubtedly the chambray shirt worn by Jake Gyllenhaal’s character, Jack Twist, which Heath Ledger’s Ennis Del Mar keeps as a symbol of their secret relationship. A staple at every retailer from J Crew to JCPenney, the chambray shirt is something that many men just can’t quit.

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #76 on: Dec 30, 2009, 08:16 PM »
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118013211.html?categoryId=3861&cs=1

For Oscar, timing is everything
Release date, length of campaign can matter
By JOHN ANDERSON

NOT QUITE ENOUGH: Jake Gyllenhaal, left, Heath Ledger and Michelle Williams were all nominated from 'Brokeback Mountain' and highly praised during the season, but didn't win.

Recent history has seen the rhythms of that seasonal schedule play havoc with Oscar hopes -- at least, that's the perception. Adrien Brody likely benefited from the late surge that the "The Pianist" made in 2003, having opened relatively late in 2002. If Lauren Bacall ("The Mirror Has Two Faces") hadn't been such a runaway favorite for so long back in '97, would she have actually beaten Juliette Binoche ("The English Patient") for supporting actress? And if "Brokeback Mountain" hadn't won virtually every other picture award in the run-up to the '06 Oscars, would it have made a difference to Heath Ledger, Michelle Williams and Jake Gyllenhaal, who'd won a smattering of critics honors prior to the Oscars?

"If I knew the answer to that question, I'd be happy to answer it," says "Brokeback" producer and Focus Features honcho James Schamus, "although when you have people like Ernest Borgnine or Tony Curtis out there actively lobbying against 'Brokeback' because of its gay content, sure, that's a factor."

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #77 on: Dec 30, 2009, 08:47 PM »
Sould be #1!  ;)

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/2008-12-6-the-fien-print/posts/the-fien-print-s-top-31-movies-of-the-decade-no-31-no-20

--------------------------

The Fien Print's Top 31 Movies of the Decade: No. 31 - No. 21
Posted on Wednesday, Dec 30, 2009
By Daniel Fienberg

For me, this list is a lark.

While I've been counting down the Top 31 TV Shows of the Decade, my movie-centric colleagues Gregory Ellwood and Drew McWeeny handled the big screen, with Greg offering his Top 25 of The Aughts and Drew doing an exhaustive Top 50. Let's just say that HitFix has already done an extra job of covering the best of the decade in movies, with or without me.

My only pause in my Top 31 (approaching No. 2 tomorrow!) was to count down the Top 20 TV Shows of 2009. At a certain point, listing has become as central to my December routine as caffeinating and showering and more essential than shaving and watering my struggling tree. And since I also have been known to write about movies on this blog, it only seemed natural that I whip out a Best of the Decade list for movies as well.

I started with 10, but that didn't work. I was leaving out too many. I got down to 20 comfortably, but I was still leaving out a few movies that I *really* wanted to mention. From there I pushed to 30 and, at the urging of a Twitter follower, went that extra step to 31, just for symmetry. I'm not going to do these as a one-per-day affair with entries approaching 2500 words as I get near the top. Been there, doing that. I'm breaking these out as three blog posts. Simple enough.

Unlike TV, where my list is The *Best* 31 Shows Of The Decade Which Aren't "The Shield," I'm not playing this out as having any sort of Best of the Decade definitiveness. It's not quite a "favorites" list, because I've given some thought to craft and importance beyond just pure rewatchability.  Mostly, I'm sticking my blog's name in from of the list so you know that these are probably the 31 movies I liked the most from the past decade. Secretly, do I think they're the best? Probably. But this isn't like my TV list, where if you disagree with my No. 1, I'm going to surreptitiously  sneak over to your house and cut the cable lines, because you're not worthy of television service. If you aren't happy here? This is my list, but feel very free to share your opinions.

23) "Brokeback Mountain" (dir. Ang Lee) - Saddled from the beginning with the nom d'laziness "The gay cowboy movie," "Brokeback Mountain" never really got a chance to just be a movie. It was Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal trailblazing new frontiers for on-screen intimacy. [Sigh. "Saddled." "Trailblazing."] It was Ang Lee following up "Hulk." It was the seemingly unstoppable Oscar frontrunner. And then it was the Oscar frontrunner that lost to the worst Best Picture choice in Oscar history. Someday, people will just be able to appreciate the sincere feelings behind this doomed love story, made additionally tragic after Ledger's passing. This was truly his best performance, even if Oscar came posthumously and for more flamboyant work. And Gyllenhaal is his equal. Beautiful score and cinematography as well, plus an understatedly lovely turn from Michelle Williams.

Offline lancecowboy

• Jack + Ennis
  • free to be, Always
« Reply #78 on: Jan 12, 2010, 12:48 AM »
[...]While I've been counting down the Top 31 TV Shows of the Decade, my movie-centric colleagues Gregory Ellwood and Drew McWeeny handled the big screen, with Greg offering his Top 25 of The Aughts and Drew doing an exhaustive Top 50....

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/2008-12-11-awards-campaign-2009/posts/an-awards-worthy-look-at-the-top-25-films-of-the-decade

An 'Awards-worthy look at the top 25 films of the decade

...It's a daunting task to come up with a list of best films for a year let alone a decade.  And strangely, unlike the 90's, the past 10 years has just whizzed by with so many movies that were good, but not great that many years seem like a blur.  You try to think of movies that stand out only to discover they came out in 1999 or within the past two years.  That can't be an accurate look at the decade, can it?

The first part of the 21st Century in film is marked by two events: 9/11 and the Writer's Strike of 2008.  Obviously, one has truer historical importance, but both deeply affected the movie industry both creatively and economically.  I'll leave it to cinema historians to reflect on the deluge of war documentaries and features in the middle of the decade that were a direct reflection of the tragic events in New York, but there is some irony that the best of those films, "The Hurt Locker," was one of the last and as good as it is, didn't make this list. 

As any major work stoppage is apt to do, a significant writer's or actor's strike has traditionally affected the next 18 months following it which means this year's crop of films.  No matter what anyone says on either side of these cyclical disputes, the work always suffers.  Studios rush scripts to get finished for production before an expected strike and then rush scripts out when the stoppage is over and that's never good.  Looking over this list and those of my peers, very few films from 2009 crop into their top ten, if any.  In fact, only one made my top 25, "Precious."  But that's another discussion for another page view.

If you were compare decades, this one feels uneven to the 90s which seemed like one breakthrough after another.  That could be because the 80s were a tepid and bloated time following the much lauded 70s era of filmmaking.  Sure, Indie film reached it's peak economically in the 00's, but certainly not artistically.  And with the current dearth of legitimate distributors and the fading DVD market, it's unclear what will happen to independent cinema in the future.  We're guessing it will thrive again in another few years, but perhaps that's wishful thinking. 

In any event, if you're looking for big blockbuster like "Casino Royale," "Pirates of the Caribbean," "Star Trek," "The Bourne Ultimatum" or "Avatar" on this list you'll be sadly disappointed.  All great films, but not best of a decade worthy.  At least not yet, because when it comes down to it a "best of" list is really combining your artistic sensibility with an educated guess on what films will survive the test of time.  When people look back, what films will they watch the most?  What will have the most meaning or relevancy to them?  What will be their "Godfather," "Terms of Endearment" or "Silence of the Lambs" ten or twenty years down the road?  Just something to keep in mind when reviewing the following selections.

3. "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" (2000)
Ang Lee's martial arts epic beat Zhang Yimou's "Hero" to the world stage, but that's not why it's higher on the list.  Lee introduced every element of this fantastical world with a deliberate and lyrical turn that expertly draws the viewer into the story.  He's aided by stunning imagery (which looks more realistic than "Hero") an amazing score and a heartbreaking performance by Michelle Yeow that never got the recognition it deserved (are we detecting a theme here?).

2. "Brokeback Mountain" (2005)
An even bigger achievement for Lee than "Crouching," "Brokeback" is one of the quintessential American love stories of our time.  Every performance and moment is spot on.  A true classic in every sense of the word.

1. "The Dark Knight" (2008)
It isn't in vogue to put Christopher Nolan's blockbuster -- a sequel no less -- on the top of a best of the decade list, but my god is it a masterpiece.  And we have HBO, at least in this pundit's case, to thank for it.  Every time "Dark Knight" is on you can't turn away from the screen.  Whether it's Ledger's career defining performance (which will still be lauded when we're all dead and gone), the groundbreaking score (by two composers of polar opposite styles mind you), the screenplay's subtle allegories to panic in a post-9/11 world or one strikingly powerful and original action sequence after another, Nolan has turned a "superhero movie" into art.  And that, ladies and gentleman, is very, very, very hard thing to do.

===========

I don't know about the rest of the list but I am more in agreement with Gregory Ellwood than with the other fella. Though to be fair, he said something that is bang on...
Someday, people will just be able to appreciate the sincere feelings behind this doomed love story, made additionally tragic after Ledger's passing. This was truly his best performance, even if Oscar came posthumously and for more flamboyant work. And Gyllenhaal is his equal. Beautiful score and cinematography as well, plus an understatedly lovely turn from Michelle Williams.

I won't bother quoting Drew McWeeney's review since Brokeback Mountain is not even on the top 50! How a laugh! Royal Tendenbaum is on and Brokeback not?!  ^*() %&) %^%
Heath, you are loved, like this, always.