Author Topic: I've decided NOT to watch the Academy Awards!  (Read 5988 times)

Offline badnomad

• Cassie
I've decided NOT to watch the Academy Awards!
« on: Feb 18, 2006, 02:05 PM »
Hey, I'm new at this board. Been on the IMDB BBM board for almost a year now, but there are so many TROLLS and CRASH lovers there, I'm sick of it. (I got into it with this poster, he or she is obnoxiously pro-CRASH, yet has posted almost 30 messages on the BBM board to only "1" message on the CRASH board.)

Anyway, one of the critics on moviecitynews.com changed his prediction just yesterday from BBM to CRASH. Oddmakers are running up the odds for CRASH by the day. There's increasing ink in the last few days that all speak to CRASH causing an upset on March 5th, as academy members are being quoted as voting for CRASH over BBM. I'm sure next week more and more critics will change their pick. (Ebert and Roeper already have.)

So, I'm giving up on the Academy. BBM has won EVERY award to date, yet I can't stand the idea it will be shut out. As a gay man, I've always relied on Hollywood to dream and fantasize that the world can be a better place, that everyone can be the hero of their own life, that the underdog can prevail. But the Academy is showing themselves to be guilty of homophobia and cronyism (I read that even Samuel Jackson said he's voting for CRASH since his friends are involved.)

I know I can not stomach the disappointment when CRASH is announced at the end of the ceremony and the team of HACKS gush at the acceptance podium. Heath, Jake, and Michelle will all be shut out - so why bother. Even Reese will take the prize over Felicity. The only "gay" win will be PSH for portraying a manipulative, effeminate, sniveling, alcoholic, nasty little queer. Yeah...that's like awarding Hattie McDaniels the Supporting Actress award today in 2006.

Well, thanks for letting me rant. On a good note, when we all speculated about the film a year ago, we all were just hoping Ang Lee would do a faithful adaption of the short story, and people would actually go to see it. The fact that it has made over $68M domestically thusfar...AND win the awards it has...AND have been so closely considered for an Oscar is truly beyond all our hopes and dreams.

Any of you have ideas what else we can do Oscar night?

« Last Edit: Feb 18, 2006, 05:00 PM by badnomad »

Offline Krispera

• Alma
  • krisp luvs you
Re: I've decided NOT to watch the Academy Awards!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2006, 02:21 PM »
If Crash win, I don't know what they are thinking about! I have not see Crash but only by searching of the net: pictures, resume, actors, review. It's talking about racism  ::) there is no racism no more in the county.. I believe! (seems boring too)

So yeah, the competition BBM vs CRASH is fierce. But I still think BBM is better! IF IF they don't win, millions of people will be upset, see all the award BBM won? All this homophobia thing created? If BBM don't win then Hollywood is still homophobe, sorry but it's the truth.

Err what PSH means??

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
  • No longer using this account: frog123
« Reply #2 on: Feb 18, 2006, 02:33 PM »
Any of you have ideas what else we can do Oscar night?

There is no way in the world, someone will keep me away from a-my TV b-my laptop!!

but if u want a suggestion..go see BBM 3 times...that should be enough..then run home..log on and check the results!
Support bacteria, they are the only culture some people have!

If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I.
~ Michel Eyquem de Montaigne (1533-1592) ~ (Thankx to gimmejack)

Offline tireiron

• Lureen
« Reply #3 on: Feb 18, 2006, 02:50 PM »
I've seen 'Crash' on DVD, and though it was pretty good, it was nothing, zero, compared to
Brokeback Mountain.  Crash has a novel idea of starting with a little story involving a couple of
characters, then branching off to another story involving a casual contact, a delivery man or
something, then branching off to another story, and so on, having some previous characters
show up in others' stories; the idea being that we're all more connected than we know.
And the ending is mildly cute.

The thing is, none of the particulars were memorable, except that Matt Dillon's part was
pretty well done.  He deserves a nomination, I guess, but certainly not the Oscar.

I'm looking forward to seeing both Capote and Good Night and Good Luck on DVD, but it's hard,
make that impossible, to believe that they are of BBM calibre.  I don't remember what the
fifth nomined movie is at the moment.

I'll definitely watch the Oscars, as this year they are more interesting than usual, because of BBM.
I believe they always start with the Supporting Actor or Actress category, just to get everyone's
attention at the beginning.  Does anyone remember whether it was the male or female last year?
I think they alternate.

Offline Toadily

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
  • "Friend, we got ourselves a situation here"
« Reply #4 on: Feb 18, 2006, 02:56 PM »
I think all the nominated movies are good, but yes not at BBM level, with the touching story, cinematography, great writing and acting, and of course Ang Lee's brainy and wise direction. 
"it's Love, Blockhead!"
-Pierre Marivaux  The Triumph of Love

"To love an idea is to love it a little more than one should."  -Jean Rostand

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #5 on: Feb 18, 2006, 03:23 PM »
badnomad, welcome and thanks for posting your thought on this.

Don't feel discouraged just by the fact of odds for Crash. I really have no clue where it all started. Maybe I will call it a "buzz" It is hard to imagine that a movie with so many best picture award on its belt will lose to Crash which has not won anything but SAG Best Ensemble.

Please don't give up your hope. Nothing is certain until the envelope is open and the winner is read. Sure there may be upset but what it is more important is how BBM has impacted many of us like no others. In a sense, the movie has won.

I for one will not want to miss when BBM is annouced the best film at the Oscar. Again, welcome.

« Last Edit: Feb 18, 2006, 04:00 PM by ethan »
Remembering Pierre (chameau) 1960-2015, a "Capricorn bro and crazy Frog Uncle from the North Pole." You are missed

Offline chameau

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #6 on: Feb 18, 2006, 06:08 PM »
I'm looking forward to seeing both Capote and Good Night and Good Luck on DVD, but it's hard,
make that impossible, to believe that they are of BBM calibre.

Agree, I saw Capote, it's very good.  I saw it with my best movie buddy, we saw BBM together, she saw Good Night and Good Luck, not me.  She told me last Sunday, after Capote, BBM is something else, not the same league.  For her BBM is one of the rare masterpieces of cinema history.  She saw tons of movies BTW.

I'm like the Queen of Brokeback, on March 5th, I'll stick to my PC and the TV.   :P
La dictature c'est ''ferme ta geule'', la démocratie c'est ''cause toujours''
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #7 on: Feb 18, 2006, 06:31 PM »
I'm like the Queen of Brokeback, on March 5th, I'll stick to my PC and the TV.   :P

xoxoxox

If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I.

Offline chameau

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #8 on: Feb 18, 2006, 07:28 PM »

xoxoxox

Have champagne ready too  :P

QoB too I guess?
La dictature c'est ''ferme ta geule'', la démocratie c'est ''cause toujours''
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #9 on: Feb 18, 2006, 07:31 PM »

xoxoxox

Have champagne ready too  :P

QoB too I guess?

yep

Offline Rønnaug

• Mod-ChickY brigade
  • Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Eat the banana custard, or die!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 18, 2006, 07:36 PM »
Been on the IMDB BBM board for almost a year now, but there are so many TROLLS and CRASH lovers there, I'm sick of it. (

i like the imbd board but your right, and it is not so easy to keep up as it is here
No matter how much jell-O you pour in the pool , you still can't walk on water

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #11 on: Feb 18, 2006, 07:38 PM »
Been on the IMDB BBM board for almost a year now, but there are so many TROLLS and CRASH lovers there, I'm sick of it. (

i like the imbd board but your right, and it is not so easy to keep up as it is here

I have avoided it for the last few days, because of all the freaks that were on it!!

Offline bbmlover

• Jack
  • Jack - I swear......
« Reply #12 on: Feb 18, 2006, 10:18 PM »

The first posting on this thread - shook me.....what(?)...........
i have been loosing sleep & food for BBM to win......... and matter by badnomad disturbed me.

ethan put a small smile back......... and the further posts kept my confidence on BBM going. I have not seen any of the other movie on discussion here. So i just can't compare. I'am going for BBM - solo.

& for IMDB site.......... i ditched it long back - as soon i found my place here.

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #13 on: Feb 18, 2006, 10:24 PM »
& for IMDB site.......... i ditched it long back - as soon i found my place here.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D....and u so have your place here!!!

Offline bbmlover

• Jack
  • Jack - I swear......
« Reply #14 on: Feb 18, 2006, 10:46 PM »

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D....and u so have your place here!!!

Thank You froggy..... ;)

Offline badnomad

• Cassie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 20, 2006, 02:16 PM »
Well the BAFTA win has indeed revived my spirits. There's a good article on oscarwatch.com that basically shames David Poland and Roger Ebert to reconsider the facts about BBM's wins.

I will reference it as a separate topic.