Author Topic: Let's send Roget Ebert e-mails  (Read 4775 times)

Offline badnomad

• Cassie
Let's send Roget Ebert e-mails
« on: Feb 20, 2006, 02:30 PM »
And question how he can he ignore the film for Best Pic that's won EVERY Best Pic award under the sun (including the BAFTA's), and for selecting a film that even though is supposed to be about prejudice and bigotry in the second most populous city in the United States, FAILS to include one gay character.

Come on BBM fans...feedback@rogerebert.com!
« Last Edit: Feb 20, 2006, 02:43 PM by badnomad »

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
Re: Let's send Roget Ebert e-mails
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2006, 06:26 PM »
Please excuse my ignorance - who is this guy - Roget Ebert?

Does he even vote for the best picture at the Oscar?

IMHO, I feel that BBM deserves to win - not because it has gay characters, but the masterpiece produced by a group of talented moviemakers and actors.
Remembering Pierre (chameau) 1960-2015, a "Capricorn bro and crazy Frog Uncle from the North Pole." You are missed

Offline Toadily

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
  • "Friend, we got ourselves a situation here"
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2006, 06:29 PM »
Ebert is the critic from chicago sun times, and is famous for his syndicated show 'Ebert and Roeper" that does movie reviews.
While I do feel he is a good writer, I don't always agree with him at all.  This is another example.
"it's Love, Blockhead!"
-Pierre Marivaux  The Triumph of Love

"To love an idea is to love it a little more than one should."  -Jean Rostand

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2006, 06:30 PM »
Ebert is the critic from chicago sun times, and is famous for his syndicated show 'Ebert and Roeper" that does movie reviews.
While I do feel he is a good writer, I don't always agree with him at all.  This is another example.

Thanks, Toadily. I hope he will eat his words on March 5.
Remembering Pierre (chameau) 1960-2015, a "Capricorn bro and crazy Frog Uncle from the North Pole." You are missed

Offline Walford

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #4 on: Feb 22, 2006, 01:57 AM »
I say leave him alone.  He gave BBM a GLOWING review.  So what if he liked Crash better?

Offline garymcd

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #5 on: Feb 22, 2006, 03:15 AM »
roger?
come out?  come out!  wherever your are...
"this is a goddamned bitch of an unsatisfactory situation"

Offline CherryCake

• Jack
  • You want a piece of me? YOU WANT A PIECE OF ME??!!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2006, 08:24 AM »
He gave BBM a great review... I saw it on his show...
"Want some coffee, don't you? Piece a cherry cake?"

Hit me up on Yahoo: PieceOfCherryCake

Offline hidesert

• Alma
« Reply #7 on: Feb 23, 2006, 08:50 AM »

Roger Ebert is probably the best known film critic in the US because of his TV show.  It used to be "Siskel & Ebert" and then Gene Siskel died and was replaced by Richard Roeper.   Their "thumbs up ratings" are also touted when movies are advertised because they're so well known.

Ebert does write very well ,but like you Toadily I don't always agree with him.  I don't see where he came up with "Crash" as best picture and BBM was #5 on his list.  Guess we can be thankful it's on his 2005 Top 10 List.

« Last Edit: Feb 23, 2006, 09:27 PM by hidesert »

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #8 on: Feb 24, 2006, 05:59 PM »
Roger Ebert is probably the best known film critic in the US because of his TV show.  It used to be "Siskel & Ebert" and then Gene Siskel died and was replaced by Richard Roeper.   Their "thumbs up ratings" are also touted when movies are advertised because they're so well known.

Ebert does write very well ,but like you Toadily I don't always agree with him.  I don't see where he came up with "Crash" as best picture and BBM was #5 on his list.  Guess we can be thankful it's on his 2005 Top 10 List.

Thanks for clariying. Best known film critic - maybe not the best critic. There are two reason what I think BBM is not on top of list (I read somewhere)

1. He likes "Crash" very much just like we do with BBM. But honestly, when you compare these two, "Crash" doesn't come close to BBM. (sorry Crash fans)

2. He is just agaisnt BBM for the reason of his show. After all, it doesn't matter if BBM wins. What matters is his show.

Offline frenchcda

• Laments of the hearts
  • Ennis
« Reply #9 on: Feb 24, 2006, 06:12 PM »
here is my e-mail to them:
To whom it may concern,
                                        I first wish to state that I watch your program diligently and respect your opinion in many ways, However I do hope you can take a deeper look at the choice you made in regards to you most likely winner at the Oscars nomination for the best movie.
                                       You have place Brokeback Mountain at number 5 in your list, I beg to differ if you could with an open mind  and inquiring investigation know that in the popular segment of the viewers, their hearts have chosen Brokeback Mountain as their favorite movie and that not because it tells a story of two ranchand, but that of an undying love that has touched so many across the entire face of this planet. I would strongly suggest you do a google search or even read  Annie proulx recommendation at: ennisjack.com and see how many blogs and sites have been dedicated to Munich in comparison to Brokeback Mountain, I know you have earned the right to influence the outcome in which movie one recommend by thumbs up or thumbs down. Seriously Brokeback Mountain as almost achieved the combined revenues of all the other nominees for The Oscars, if that is not an indicator as to what people truly enjoy, I think you need to reassess your view of what it means to be a critic, and get in touch , as Hollywood lately has it truly wrong, big budget film are just cash grabber to insult our intelligence, let you not be one of the ones that wish to remain in the back seat, You are more intelligent and highly respected human being.  I hope you can recant your disapproval for Brokeback Mountain and set the record accordingly to what is truly in the heart and soul of the majority of every living being , that wish speaks little but impact a lifetime of Love.
sincerely yours truly
Lusignan Joeseph
       what is a belief if not a lack of knowing

My wounds are deeper than your desires

www.wordsofpeace.com

Offline chameau

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #10 on: Feb 24, 2006, 06:29 PM »
here is my e-mail to them:
To whom it may concern,
                                        I first wish to state that I watch your program diligently and respect your opinion in many ways, However I do hope you can take a deeper look at the choice you made in regards to you most likely winner at the Oscars nomination for the best movie.
                                       You have place Brokeback Mountain at number 5 in your list, I beg to differ if you could with an open mind  and inquiring investigation know that in the popular segment of the viewers, their hearts have chosen Brokeback Mountain as their favorite movie and that not because it tells a story of two ranchand, but that of an undying love that has touched so many across the entire face of this planet. I would strongly suggest you do a google search or even read  Annie proulx recommendation at: ennisjack.com and see how many blogs and sites have been dedicated to Munich in comparison to Brokeback Mountain, I know you have earned the right to influence the outcome in which movie one recommend by thumbs up or thumbs down. Seriously Brokeback Mountain as almost achieved the combined revenues of all the other nominees for The Oscars, if that is not an indicator as to what people truly enjoy, I think you need to reassess your view of what it means to be a critic, and get in touch , as Hollywood lately has it truly wrong, big budget film are just cash grabber to insult our intelligence, let you not be one of the ones that wish to remain in the back seat, You are more intelligent and highly respected human being.  I hope you can recant your disapproval for Brokeback Mountain and set the record accordingly to what is truly in the heart and soul of the majority of every living being , that wish speaks little but impact a lifetime of Love.
sincerely yours truly
Lusignan Joeseph

That's an addicted BBM lover!  ;)

Thanks for sharing!
La dictature c'est ''ferme ta geule'', la démocratie c'est ''cause toujours''
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline frenchcda

• Laments of the hearts
  • Ennis
« Reply #11 on: Feb 24, 2006, 08:00 PM »
YOU BET ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
       what is a belief if not a lack of knowing

My wounds are deeper than your desires

www.wordsofpeace.com

Offline ranchgal

• Lureen
« Reply #12 on: Feb 25, 2006, 01:16 AM »
Personally I think this is a wrong direction.
First the guy is a critic, it is his personal opinion that is all.  he loves BBM, he just doesn't love it as much as we do.
His voice, his choice, and it is still a free country.

He doesn't have to agree with us---we make or break his predictions based on the money we spend to see the movie---BBM is a phenomenal success!!
His recommendations are to free minded movie gowers. Some listen, some don't.

OUR recommendations don't count any more than his do---and he recommends BBM Highly, just because he doesn't think it should win the oscar, doesn't mean squat. he doesn't vote.

You can't make his opinion yours, any more than he can make his opinion ours.
Live and let live.   His opinion is his own, and basically none of our business.   
mean spirited emails, also won't mean squat---because he is not going to see the movie through your eyes.      Plus he is a proud man in his own right, and he said what he said about the oscars, and he will never change is opinion based on anyone elses. 

We wouldn't, and we shouldn't expect him to either.
« Last Edit: Feb 25, 2006, 01:18 AM by ranchgal »