Author Topic: OSCAR LIVE THREAD  (Read 508629 times)

Offline Cowboy Cody

• Jack + Ennis
  • Here I IS!
Re: OSCAR LIVE THREAD - open at 6 pm EST.
« Reply #1830 on: Mar 06, 2006, 12:39 AM »
JB - I Love Ya man, but I'm sorry. I live in a repressed country. Freedoms are vanishing faster than you can whistle dixie. This country is homophobic. People have gotten elected solely on the issue of being Anti-gay.

Anti-Gay Marriage
Anti-Gay Adoption of kids
Anti-Gay when it comes to partner benefits & medical choices
Anti-Gay when it comes to job discrimination
Anti-Gay when it comes to service at various restaurants, hotels, etc.

You were goin' up there to go fishin'....NO SHIT! GIMME SEX!

Offline dirtbiker

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #1831 on: Mar 06, 2006, 12:39 AM »
Italian Dude,
My partner and I seriously considered doing exactly that after the 2004 presidential election, and we are still holding that as an option.

Funny I still have my Canadian PR appliction all filled out from last year after the 2004 election, but just never got around to sending it in.  I have several close relatives up north.

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #1832 on: Mar 06, 2006, 12:40 AM »
Anyone watching Jimmy Kimmel live after the Oscars???? If you aren't, don't!!!!!  He's adding insult to injury.

No I turned my TV off right after the best picture announcement.
Remembering Pierre (chameau) 1960-2015, a "Capricorn bro and crazy Frog Uncle from the North Pole." You are missed

Offline sweetlilg

• "Jack, I swear..."
  • Ennis
  • Could be like this.. just like this - ALWAYS!
« Reply #1833 on: Mar 06, 2006, 12:40 AM »
Anyone watching Jimmy Kimmel live after the Oscars???? If you aren't, don't!!!!!  He's adding insult to injury.

i can't watch anything!! my blood pressure is already very high!!  :-[
"Sometimes I miss you SO MUCH I can hardly stand it" - Jack <3

RIP Heath ♥ Heath, I swear...

BrokeBack Mountain is the BEST! It has won the Oscar of my heart!

Offline Italian_Dude

• Jack + Ennis
  • Love is Never Wrong
« Reply #1834 on: Mar 06, 2006, 12:41 AM »
"The First" of something is always remembered

first kiss, first this, first that and so one.

Brokeback Mountain is the First movie with the a gay love plot like this, to be nominated for 8 Academy awards and win Best Picture at many other. It is the "First" successful and critically acclaimed gay love story. It will ALWAYS be remembered as the FIRST. Best Picture award or not. Crash on the other hand, it is NOT the first time Race has been dealt with in a film, its old news, in 2 years no one will remember Crash but Brokeback will always be remembered as the FIRST gay love story to make it into maintstream media. When another gay love story is made.. it will be compared to Brokeback Mountain, because it was the FIRST successful one of its kind, if another racism movie is made no one will think of "Crash"
You and me together
Through the days and nights
I don't worry 'cause
Everything's gonna be all right
People keep talking
They can say what they like
But all I know is everything's gonna be all right..

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
  • No longer using this account: frog123
« Reply #1835 on: Mar 06, 2006, 12:41 AM »

i can't watch anything!! my blood pressure is already very high!!  :-[

neither can I!
Support bacteria, they are the only culture some people have!

If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I.
~ Michel Eyquem de Montaigne (1533-1592) ~ (Thankx to gimmejack)

Offline BBBOY

• Brokeback Junkie
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Ya know I ain't straight Me neither
« Reply #1836 on: Mar 06, 2006, 12:44 AM »
Great post frog. guess I better get to bed too. What a rollercoaster ride tonight. But I'm here listening to the soundtrack thinking about my boys and so glad they exist. We all exist, we are not shadows on a wall, words on a page. We are real and we are here. Peace brothers and sisters. :-*  BBBOY
There was some open space between what he knew and what he tried to believe, but nothing could be done about it, and if you can't fix it you've got to stand it.

Ennis, riding against the wind back to the sheep in the treacherous, drunken darken light, thought he'd never had such a good time, felt he could paw the white out of the moon.

Offline quentin751

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #1837 on: Mar 06, 2006, 12:46 AM »
Well, I just got on here after witnessing the most disappointing outcome.  I have not seen Crash, and all I've heard about it was that it portrayed unrealistic race relations, as if we don't have enough of those portrayals already.  Before, I was thinking of renting Crash, but now, I think the only way I would watch it is if I have a bootleg copy!!!!!!!! DAMN!  Like someone said earlier, it felt like going to a loved one's funeral - that's the sort of tears I shed. The British definintely RULE!  Let's all go watch BBM again this week/weekend to show our support!    :'(   >:(

"crash" is a really good film, one of my favourite, it portrays real strong discriminations. Altough i am very very sad for bbm i think its childish to blame the movie "crash"

Offline Italian_Dude

• Jack + Ennis
  • Love is Never Wrong
« Reply #1838 on: Mar 06, 2006, 12:47 AM »
JB - I Love Ya man, but I'm sorry. I live in a repressed country. Freedoms are vanishing faster than you can whistle dixie. This country is homophobic. People have gotten elected solely on the issue of being Anti-gay.

Anti-Gay Marriage

In Canada its not a paradise, like job discrimination and poor service is still very possible to occur, but gay marriage is legal, gay adoption is legal and so is getting a surrogate. And if you are declined a job because of sexuality that is against the law too.  It is a lot brighter situation, but by no means perfect.
You and me together
I don't worry 'cause
People keep talking

Offline Patriot1

• BBM. What could possibly top it?
  • Jack + Ennis
  • In loving memory of Matthew Shepard 1976 - 1998
« Reply #1839 on: Mar 06, 2006, 12:47 AM »
Good night BBBoy.
Tell you what...truth is, sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it...

Love is a force of nature.

Offline Cowboy Cody

• Jack + Ennis
  • Here I IS!
« Reply #1840 on: Mar 06, 2006, 12:47 AM »
Lord - I can't stand Jimmy Kimmel...that's all I would need tonight. Another loud mouth conservative spoutin platitudes.

BBBoy - Good Night and Sweet Cowboy Dreams!

Offline sweetlilg

• "Jack, I swear..."
  • Ennis
  • Could be like this.. just like this - ALWAYS!
« Reply #1841 on: Mar 06, 2006, 12:47 AM »
Great post frog. guess I better get to bed too. What a rollercoaster ride tonight. But I'm here listening to the soundtrack thinking about my boys and so glad they exist. We all exist, we are not shadows on a wall, words on a page. We are real and we are here. Peace brothers and sisters. :-*  BBBOY

AMEN!

have sweet Brokeback dreams!
"Sometimes I miss you SO MUCH I can hardly stand it" - Jack <3

RIP Heath ♥ Heath, I swear...

BrokeBack Mountain is the BEST! It has won the Oscar of my heart!

Offline Cowboy Cody

• Jack + Ennis
  • Here I IS!
« Reply #1842 on: Mar 06, 2006, 12:50 AM »
It is a lot brighter situation, but by no means perfect.

Italian Dude - that's the point, exactly. We are not asking for utopia, but acceptance. This has just been another slap in the face to every gay, bi, transgender man or woman who has ever stepped foot in this country. The land of freedom and democracy...for whom? Not for me apparently.

Offline Blakiepoo

• Cassie
« Reply #1843 on: Mar 06, 2006, 12:51 AM »
I'm so disappointed.  I told everyone I talk to to watch it.  I offered to pay!  I heard that the academy (no capital a for them) were interested in helping social issues and were going to be a hero for the movement this film/story was making.  But it totally snubbed it and it makes me damned sad that it is the difference between so many people seeing it and not.  It was an uphill battle through the movie and in the real world.

I turned my tv off too.  I'm so disgusted and bitter and have no way to vent.  The anger!

Offline Patriot1

• BBM. What could possibly top it?
  • Jack + Ennis
  • In loving memory of Matthew Shepard 1976 - 1998
« Reply #1844 on: Mar 06, 2006, 12:52 AM »

I wonder what happened to this "left-wing hollyweird" the right-wing fascists keep talking about.  Perhaps they never existed?
Tell you what...truth is, sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it...

Love is a force of nature.

Offline bnjmn3

• Jack
  • BBM: The Best Picture Show
« Reply #1845 on: Mar 06, 2006, 12:52 AM »
Well, I just got on here after witnessing the most disappointing outcome.  I have not seen Crash, and all I've heard about it was that it portrayed unrealistic race relations, as if we don't have enough of those portrayals already.  Before, I was thinking of renting Crash, but now, I think the only way I would watch it is if I have a bootleg copy!!!!!!!! DAMN!  Like someone said earlier, it felt like going to a loved one's funeral - that's the sort of tears I shed. The British definintely RULE!  Let's all go watch BBM again this week/weekend to show our support!    :'(   >:(

"crash" is a really good film, one of my favourite, it portrays real strong discriminations. Altough i am very very sad for bbm i think its childish to blame the movie "crash"

Not blaming Crash, but Crash benefitted from Academy members voting against the subject matter in BBM..The Academy is fine when Gays are effeminate or sufferring from AIDS (Hoffman, Hurt in 1986, or Hanks) but not Gay Cowboys!!! Shameful.
We can't change it. We will have to stand it.

Offline dr bill

• BBM Forever
  • Jack
  • There ain't never enough time, never enough...
« Reply #1846 on: Mar 06, 2006, 12:52 AM »
I am very disappointed.  I think that BBM deserved an award but I think it deserved something more like "Film of Highest Excellency."  I agree that we should show our support of BBM by attending it once again.  We should not let this blasphemy stop us from celebrating the fact that BBM was created as well as not to diminish what has happened to our lives as a result of this film.  We have come together and we are united!  Look out Hollywood...there are millions of us who pay money to watch these films, dvds and vhs.  We won't forget.

We, the people, are united with the resolve to live our lives to the fullest extent regardless of whether or not BBM won best picture...we have survived and we will continue to survive but because of BBM we can survive being WHO we are.  I am so thankful to be a part of this forum with the best members.  Let us not lower ourselves to any negativity that will make us appear smaller than what we collectively have become.

Love never dies...thanks BBM for bringing this message to us!
Billy the Kid

Offline CoraJack

• Lureen
« Reply #1847 on: Mar 06, 2006, 12:52 AM »

"The trolls come out at night, the trolls come out at night--hey hey hey"

Offline Italian_Dude

• Jack + Ennis
  • Love is Never Wrong
« Reply #1848 on: Mar 06, 2006, 12:53 AM »

Italian Dude - that's the point, exactly. We are not asking for utopia, but acceptance. This has just been another slap in the face to every gay, bi, transgender man or woman who has ever stepped foot in this country. The land of freedom and democracy...for whom? Not for me apparently.

Yes I know exactly what you mean. :(
You and me together
I don't worry 'cause
People keep talking

Offline hidesert

• Alma
« Reply #1849 on: Mar 06, 2006, 12:54 AM »
Everyone is putting down Crash, but apparently some who speak negatively of it have not seen the movie.

I suggest everyone go see Crash tomorrrow.   I have friends who have seen it 5 or 6 times.  I only saw it once and really liked it.

It was a bit heavy on the racism theme.  But then again some would say Brokeback was heavy on the gay side of things. 

I've seen "Crash" - I rented it and replayed some of the scenes.  As I've said here before, the screenplay is poor, the behavior of many of the characters is totally inconsistent, it over uses "coincidence" as a writing device, the acting is over the top etc etc etc. Most important is that I didn't buy into the characters as being real people. 

Hey BBM is not perfect, but it's much much better than "Crash".  It's not that BBM is gay themed - I'd feel the same way if the themes of the two films was reversed.

« Last Edit: Mar 06, 2006, 01:04 AM by hidesert »

Miss Nice

« Reply #1850 on: Mar 06, 2006, 12:54 AM »
Send your reactions to BBC... text message works!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4776808.stm

Offline frenchcda

• Laments of the hearts
  • Ennis
« Reply #1851 on: Mar 06, 2006, 12:54 AM »

so much for the land of the proud and the free as in proud to hate and free to be homophobic, what a great country is the USA. this is aimed at the ignorant bunch minority that doesn't allow the majority of americans to live  and love
       what is a belief if not a lack of knowing

My wounds are deeper than your desires

www.wordsofpeace.com

Offline CoraJack

• Lureen
« Reply #1852 on: Mar 06, 2006, 12:56 AM »

Love never dies...thanks BBM for bringing this message to us!

Thank you, drbill--finally a quote about BBM that covers ALL of us--regardless of sexual identity.  BBM was about love! It just so happened that the characters were gay. The homophobia of the time was what they had to fight against, which is what made the story resonate to anyone who ever had to fight against adversity for love.

Cora ....

Offline Italian_Dude

• Jack + Ennis
  • Love is Never Wrong
« Reply #1853 on: Mar 06, 2006, 12:56 AM »
oh God..  its started

Gamblers go broke with Brokeback Mountain

If you were one of the unlucky gamblers betting on the Academy Awards and Brokeback Mountain at 1 to 8 odds (bet $8 to win $1), chances are you weren't alone.  Brokeback Mountain was a huge favorite to win this year's Oscars, though many believed the controversial nature of this film might serve as an obstacle.  Crash upset the gay cowboy flick, taking home an Oscar for best picture.

"Brokeback Mountain" filmmaker Ang Lee did win the best-director prize for the tale of two old sheepherding pals who carry on a love affair they conceal from their families for years.

Lee, whose martial-arts epic "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" won the foreign-language Oscar five years ago, became the first Asian filmmaker to win Hollywood's main filmmaking honor.

"I wish I knew how to quit you," Lee told the audience crowd, reiterating the film's most-quoted line.

And gamblers worldwide are probably wishing they had quit betting on Brokeback Mountain, which probably broke a few banks while Crash (listed at 4 to 1 odds) paid $400 and up for every $100 bet.

Brokeback Mountain is the story of Ennis del Mar (Heath Ledger) and Jack Twist (Jake Gyllenhaal), two young men who meet and fall in love on a sheep-herding job on Brokeback Mountain in Wyoming. The film documents their complex relationship over the next twenty years.

After the two part ways at the end of their job, Ennis marries Alma Beers (Michelle Williams) and starts a family. Jack moves to Texas where he meets Lureen Newsome (Anne Hathaway), whom he subsequently marries.

Four years later, Ennis receives a postcard from Jack saying that he will soon be in town and he hopes Ennis will want to see him again. Ennis replies back with a card reading "You bet." The two men reunite and find their passion is as strong as ever. Jack broaches the subject of creating a life together operating a small ranch. Ennis, haunted by a childhood memory of the murder of a man suspected of being homosexual, fears that such an arrangement could only end in tragedy. He is also unwilling to leave his family.

As the years pass, Ennis's marriage deteriorates. Alma eventually divorces him and takes custody of their children. Jack hopes that Ennis's divorce will allow them to live together at last, but Ennis refuses to move away from his daughters. Unable to be open about their relationship, Ennis and Jack settle for infrequent meetings on camping trips in the mountains over the next years.

Several months after their last meeting, Ennis learns that Jack has died when a postcard Ennis sent to him is returned, stamped "deceased." In a strained telephone conversation, Jack's wife Lureen tells Ennis that Jack died in an accident. As she explains, a brief scene of Jack being murdered illustrates Ennis's fears that Jack's death was not truly accidental. At the end of their conversation, Lureen tells Ennis that Jack wished to have his ashes scattered on Brokeback Mountain. She suggests that Ennis contact Jack's parents about this.

Ennis visits Jack's parents and offers to take Jack's ashes to Brokeback Mountain. Jack's father refuses, insisting that Jack's remains be buried in the family plot. Jack's mother is more welcoming, and allows Ennis to see Jack's boyhood bedroom. Ennis discovers two old shirts hidden in the back of the bedroom closet. The shirts, hung on the same hanger, are the ones the two men were wearing on their last day on Brokeback Mountain in 1963. Ennis had believed he left his shirt on the mountain, but Jack had actually taken it home with him. Jack's mother gives Ennis both shirts to keep.

At the film's end, Ennis reconciles with his estranged oldest daughter and promises to attend her upcoming wedding. After she leaves, he opens his closet door to reveal that he has hung the two shirts together, alongside a postcard of Brokeback Mountain.

The only other underdog to win in a major category was George Clooney for best supporting actor.  He was listed with odds around 2 to 1.
You and me together
I don't worry 'cause
People keep talking

Offline karind1

• Jack
« Reply #1854 on: Mar 06, 2006, 12:58 AM »

Anti-Gay Marriage
In Canada its not a paradise, like job discrimination and poor service is still very possible to occur, but gay marriage is legal, gay adoption is legal and so is getting a surrogate. And if you are declined a job because of sexuality that is against the law too.  It is a lot brighter situation, but by no means perfect.
if i wasn't living on social security disability and needed the medicare to pay for medical bills- i would not stay in America for one more minute- i would be in canada so fast-your head would spin...but they won't pay for health care (medicare that is) anywhere but in the usa-and with their new bill i now pay way more and my hmo chages me me out of my pocket of 1200 dollars a month social security 300 per day- i had to ask for money from ex to get my cancer treated a few weeks ago- it required 3 day hospital stay- to stay in a hospital.  and my prescription prices went up.  george bush will rot in hell for doing this to Americans and the poor....i would go to hell myself just to watch him-but i have to go to heaven to watch over all of you and to be with my dog.
« Last Edit: Mar 06, 2006, 01:06 AM by karind1 »

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #1855 on: Mar 06, 2006, 12:59 AM »
Here is to the best picture "crash"

only best picture winner only to pick up 3 awards in over 25 years
2nd lowest grossing best picture film in history
1st best picture with only a sag win ( no other wins including directors,writers,producers guild's and golden globes)
2nd film in 25 years to win best picture without best director
1st film in 25 years to only have 1 acting nomination
1st film in history without the highest # of nominations

what does that say to you about the academy?

It is the members who voted for the best picture and they don't represent us.
Remembering Pierre (chameau) 1960-2015, a "Capricorn bro and crazy Frog Uncle from the North Pole." You are missed

Offline karind1

• Jack
« Reply #1856 on: Mar 06, 2006, 01:00 AM »
i am crying-if anyone rich here wants to support a 58 yo woman in canada let me know-i have my passport or england or somewhere other than this disgusting country that is homophobic and war driven and filled with hypocrites.  i have lived here all my life-and the republicans are breaking everything here and making it rich against poor.  it is sick and sad.  tonite did not help.  heston got his didn't he?
« Last Edit: Mar 06, 2006, 01:01 AM by karind1 »

Offline hidesert

• Alma
« Reply #1857 on: Mar 06, 2006, 01:01 AM »
From Stonewall to BBM...The a$$holes in this country have continually kept us down, whether through Bogus laws or Conservative court rulings. They have used racism, fear, and hatred to suppress a rightful place in society.

Cowboy, never look at Stonewall as a defeat.  We kicked the cops asses that night.  They were terrified of us.  That night started the move toward freedom for us...even if it has only moved a little bit. 

Patriot1, why not open a thread this week and talk about your Stonewall experiences.  It's important history and all of us would enjoy it.

Offline Italian_Dude

• Jack + Ennis
  • Love is Never Wrong
« Reply #1858 on: Mar 06, 2006, 01:01 AM »
Here is to the best picture "crash"

only best picture winner only to pick up 3 awards in over 25 years
2nd lowest grossing best picture film in history
1st best picture with only a sag win ( no other wins including directors,writers,producers guild's and golden globes)
2nd film in 25 years to win best picture without best director
1st film in 25 years to only have 1 acting nomination
1st film in history without the highest # of nominations

what does that say to you about the academy?

It is the members who voted for the best picture and they don't represent us.

*stand and claps* they don't represent us.
You and me together
I don't worry 'cause
People keep talking

Offline rabjr1

• Ennis
« Reply #1859 on: Mar 06, 2006, 01:03 AM »
From Stonewall to BBM...The a$$holes in this country have continually kept us down, whether through Bogus laws or Conservative court rulings. They have used racism, fear, and hatred to suppress a rightful place in society.

Cowboy, never look at Stonewall as a defeat.  We kicked the cops asses that night.  They were terrified of us.  That night started the move toward freedom for us...even if it has only moved a little bit.

The Stonewall bar had a drag clientel.  Judy Garland died of an overdose on June 21, 1969.  When the cops decided to raid a NY gay bar on the night of June 27 they picked the Stonewall.  The patrons were in mourning for thier favorite drag icon, Judy Garland, who even maried a gay man (her last husband) and were "mad as hell and were not going to take it anymore". 

What would have happend if Judy had not died the week before?  The was the actuarl catalist for the riot.

RAB aka Raoul The Really Rotten