Author Topic: OSCAR LIVE THREAD  (Read 508613 times)

Offline frenchcda

• Laments of the hearts
  • Ennis
Re: OSCAR LIVE THREAD - open at 6 pm EST.
« Reply #1890 on: Mar 06, 2006, 01:34 AM »
AGREE
       what is a belief if not a lack of knowing

My wounds are deeper than your desires

www.wordsofpeace.com

Offline karind1

• Jack
« Reply #1891 on: Mar 06, 2006, 01:34 AM »

Karind1, I am mad too and on disability and 57.  Be mad but don't let this effect your health.  We also now live in a time when a movie like this could be made and that is a positive thing, and it has changed peoples hearts and minds in, I hope, a positive way.

I thought I would not live long enough to see LOTR 2 & 3, yet I did, and I am so glad I have continued to live to see BBM.  I measure life in little victories, they seem inconsequential to some but it is the little victories that can give me (us) the extra push to go on.

Take care
RAB

thank you-

Offline Patriot1

• BBM. What could possibly top it?
  • Jack + Ennis
  • In loving memory of Matthew Shepard 1976 - 1998
« Reply #1892 on: Mar 06, 2006, 01:34 AM »
Is it just me or does this kind of make sense..

Brokeback won "Best Adapted Screenplay" basically meaning it was the best script for a movie written from another source, and it was the BEST one.

Brokeback won "Best Director" a director, who directed an ENTIRE film, and he did it BEST.

YET.. this fim that was Directed the Best, and Had the BEST script, was NOT Best picture.. hmm?

does anyone see what I'm saying, or is it just me?

Now you are really in trouble I_D.  There is no logic in Hollywood.

Tell you what...truth is, sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it...

Love is a force of nature.

Offline Italian_Dude

• Jack + Ennis
  • Love is Never Wrong
« Reply #1893 on: Mar 06, 2006, 01:35 AM »
well its obvious there is no logic now..
You and me together
Through the days and nights
I don't worry 'cause
Everything's gonna be all right
People keep talking
They can say what they like
But all I know is everything's gonna be all right..

Offline hidesert

• Alma
« Reply #1894 on: Mar 06, 2006, 01:35 AM »
Ok... I'm still kinda in shock to see Crash pull an upset over BBM. To be honest, I thought Crash was a decent movie, but it did not resonate with me for days like BBM did. Brokeback Mountain is by far the more superior film, in everything from storyline and direction to honesty and integrity. I'm not too surprised that Crash won, after all, it's set in Los Angeles (where most Academy members are from), and it's a feel good movie... as an Academy member it would feel good to be bastion of racial liberalism and mark Crash down as best picture. It's an obvious film, in its triteness it tells us how we should feel and what is "right" and "wrong"... no wonder it's such a popular favorite (like Titanic, for example).

So, I wouldn't necessarily say that the reason BBM didn't win is because of homophobia within the Academy, but because Crash is such a feel-good picture to vote for. It's the underdog, and BBM has gotten so much hype. Meanwhile, BBM is so much more intricate and softspoken, and I'm absolutely sure that half the country probably didn't understand a word of it. It's one of those films that works through you, it's so magical, but that also means it's more elusive to voters.

So rest assured... BBM is the best film of the year, and one of the best ever... just see how many hearts it's touched! Can you say that about any other film this year? How many other pictures have spawned such a sociocultural phenomenon? How many other movies have countless fans and forums dedicated to every scene/line/character? How many films require a 2nd, 3rd, 4th viewing to capture the entire essence? I can assure you that Crash does none of these things.

Another thing that's been bugging me... Crash is probably the least Oscar worthy film of the five nominated. It wasn't even nominated for several awards. The hype that was built around Crash was so artificial, it had nothing to do with the strength of the movie.

The Academy makes mistakes. And this was one of their biggest ever.

I can agree with some of this, but please don't compare Crash to Titanic--OMG it's almost as bad as comparing BBM to Crash!  Titanic might have been a mainstream film and still the highest money maker of all time, but for some people Titanic was (and still is) much more. Titanic has so many hidden jewels and lessons (like BBM) for people who take the time to study it. Titanic got what it deserved because it WAS mainstream, BBM didn't because it was controversial.

Cora

My feelings exactly Cora.  There is no comparison between the two films.  And to me Crash was not a "feel good" movie.  The topic of racism is not feel good.

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
  • No longer using this account: frog123
« Reply #1895 on: Mar 06, 2006, 01:37 AM »
Is it just me or does this kind of make sense..

Brokeback won "Best Adapted Screenplay" basically meaning it was the best script for a movie written from another source, and it was the BEST one.

Brokeback won "Best Director" a director, who directed an ENTIRE film, and he did it BEST.

YET.. this fim that was Directed the Best, and Had the BEST script, was NOT Best picture.. hmm?

does anyone see what I'm saying, or is it just me?

Now you are really in trouble I_D.  There is no logic in Hollywood.

Crash won best photography and best screenplay..ok photography is not Director but the awards they won are on the same level..me thinks.
Support bacteria, they are the only culture some people have!

If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I.
~ Michel Eyquem de Montaigne (1533-1592) ~ (Thankx to gimmejack)

Offline karind1

• Jack
« Reply #1896 on: Mar 06, 2006, 01:39 AM »

I love your passion, however, if BBM had won best picture the lines at the theatre tomorrow would have been LONG. Now that it lost, less people will go see it and they WILL discount the film. People are led around blindly by the press and the critics. Believe me, this loss is no good for BBM. 

Cora
I agree with you and i hope you got all of my apologies several pages back-you were right and i was wrong.  karin :-X
« Last Edit: Mar 06, 2006, 01:40 AM by karind1 »

Offline hidesert

• Alma
« Reply #1897 on: Mar 06, 2006, 01:40 AM »
I'm not sure if anyone noticed my post earlier during the red carpet arrivals--but it was stated that there were a *ton* of protesters outside due to BBM and, therefore, a lot more security. Was the Academy afraid of the backlash? Have there ever been protests at any other Academy Awards ceremony? If so, I have never heard about it. 

It could have been Fred Phelps and his lunatics from Kansas.  It's the type of event they would protest.

Offline Cowboy Cody

• Jack + Ennis
  • Here I IS!
« Reply #1898 on: Mar 06, 2006, 01:40 AM »
Good Night Everyone.

Frenchcda & Italian Dude - Thanks for helping fight the good fight tonight..I owe you two.

Ethan & Frog - Good Night to my King and Queen of Brokeback. Without you, none of this would even be possible and for that I will always be grateful.

May Y'all have Sweet Cowboy Dreams!

Love Ya
Cody
You were goin' up there to go fishin'....NO SHIT! GIMME SEX!

Offline frenchcda

• Laments of the hearts
  • Ennis
« Reply #1899 on: Mar 06, 2006, 01:40 AM »
The academy send out a very clear message to Ang lee here is your Oscar you are a great director, but you want to win best film, put those cowboys back where they belong on Brokeback and faggots well silence them we like to hate and discreminate more than we like to Love
« Last Edit: Mar 06, 2006, 01:42 AM by frenchcda »

www.wordsofpeace.com

Offline karind1

• Jack
« Reply #1900 on: Mar 06, 2006, 01:42 AM »
The academy send out a very clear message to Ang llee here is your Oscra you are a great director, but you want to win best film, put those cowboys back where they belong on Brokeback and faggots well silence them we like to hate and discreminate more than we like to Love
hell, pimp loving was even better to the acadamy than trans gender

Offline sweetlilg

• "Jack, I swear..."
  • Ennis
  • Could be like this.. just like this - ALWAYS!
« Reply #1901 on: Mar 06, 2006, 01:44 AM »
they love pimps more than gays!!  ::)  *sigh*
"Sometimes I miss you SO MUCH I can hardly stand it" - Jack <3

RIP Heath ♥ Heath, I swear...

BrokeBack Mountain is the BEST! It has won the Oscar of my heart!

Offline hidesert

• Alma
« Reply #1902 on: Mar 06, 2006, 01:45 AM »
What did John Stewart say?  Steven Spielberg - 0 Oscar, rap singers - 1 Oscar???????

So you see what the Academy is capable of doing.

and maybe it is true:   "One will never go broke underestimating the American public" 

"No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people." --H.L. Mencken

Offline Patriot1

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #1903 on: Mar 06, 2006, 01:47 AM »
Quote from: frog123

Crash won best photography and best screenplay..ok photography is not Director but the awards they won are on the same level..me thinks.

What I think is being forgotten her is that the nomination votes might have gone like this:

40% Brokeback Mountain
10% Capote
30% Crash
10% Good Night and Good Luck
 5% Munich
 5% Other

Then when it came time to vote for one of the five, Brokeback got the 40% but Crash got the rest.
All they would have to do is get one more than 40%.

Whereas, the screenplay may have gotten 80% of the nomination vote.  Am I making myself clear?

Offline frenchcda

• Laments of the hearts
  • Ennis
« Reply #1904 on: Mar 06, 2006, 01:48 AM »
I am glad you said it not I
well Iam off to bed, I wish to thank everyone here for all their support otherwise I would have truly slit my wrists tonite or ovedosed on pills, You are truly amazing people, now the battle begins for the next opportunity, it may take another ten years but maybe not, lets show them that we will not be silence anymore, LOVE so be it

www.wordsofpeace.com

Offline Italian_Dude

• Jack + Ennis
  • Love is Never Wrong
« Reply #1905 on: Mar 06, 2006, 01:50 AM »
Now i have to compare articles for my assignment, i picked 3 BBM articles. ugh. *bad memories* (crash win)  ::)
You and me together
I don't worry 'cause
People keep talking

Offline Patriot1

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #1906 on: Mar 06, 2006, 01:50 AM »

Or, they are afraid of black riots more than they are afraid of gays.

Offline Italian_Dude

• Jack + Ennis
  • Love is Never Wrong
« Reply #1907 on: Mar 06, 2006, 01:53 AM »
okay guys, i'm going to do my homework.. haha then go to bad near 3am..

so i'll talk to you all later! It was fun, even though it didn't turn out like we hoped. :(

Brokeback Mountain has the Oscar of our hearts, and the Academy can never take that away from us.

Goodnight!
You and me together
I don't worry 'cause
People keep talking

Offline karind1

• Jack
« Reply #1908 on: Mar 06, 2006, 01:53 AM »

make that gays and women-we women stand right with you dudes and together we can take em--trust me - hell hath no fury like a woman scorned or perhaps a gay man scorned too!!

Offline span

• Cassie
« Reply #1909 on: Mar 06, 2006, 01:53 AM »
Just adding something... WHO CARES ABOUT WHO WON ANYWAY?!? We all know that the Academy can be completely off its rocker already! Just look back through the years and you will see countless films robbed. It's a stupid awards show, and it rewards films for the wrong reasons. But let us remember, NOTHING the Academy does can ever take away the strength and power of Brokeback Mountain. If anything, it will probably make it even stronger. Do you think that, just because it didn't win Best Picture in the Oscars, that people will discount the film? No, instead, people will discount the Academy. Trust me, the Academy needs this film more than the film needs the Academy. In years to come, the voters will look back and realize the mistake they've made.

So, even though I am still horribly disappointed and will have trouble sleeping tonight, I am slightly glad at this whole turn of events. Relying on wins (contingent on closed-minded voters) is a sad way to do justice to a film. The power of a film relies in the film itself.

So, Crash, good for you. I'm glad that you now have a lame-ass win under your belt.

I love your passion, however, if BBM had won best picture the lines at the theatre tomorrow would have been LONG. Now that it lost, less people will go see it and they WILL discount the film. People are led around blindly by the press and the critics. Believe me, this loss is no good for BBM. 

Cora

Cora, I completely agree that BBM will lose viewers due to the loss, and I admit that it is a loss that much of the nation will miss out on a film due to this unfair loss. But I believe that due to the hype that's been surrounding the awards for a while now (and the bag of other wins), most of the people who would've had any inclination to see the film in the first place will not be too swayed by the results. And yes, this loss isn't good (I mean, it would've been incredible to have BBM forever titled as an academy award win), but then again, people forget. Give it a couple of years. In the long run, BBM will have such a strong mark on cinema that the loss really does merely point out the flaws of the academy, not the film.

I think it's always helpful to stand back and look at what really matters. Yes, I am VERY bummed about the loss, but I am bummed for slightly superficial reasons. I am bummed that it lacks a title, but then again, that's what a win is, a title. This film is already vindicated for its excellence (from other awards shows and critics groups). And it's a damn good film. And that's all that really matters.

Offline chameau

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #1910 on: Mar 06, 2006, 01:55 AM »
Tough nite but not that bad after all.

We missed best movie... So what?

Casablanca missed best movie too, who recall the best winner of that year?  No one will recall Crash in 20 years, BBM will be remembered.

Peace my friends, I'm sure we will have endless discussions ahead about BMM.

Love  :-*
La dictature c'est ''ferme ta geule'', la démocratie c'est ''cause toujours''
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline rabjr1

• Ennis
« Reply #1911 on: Mar 06, 2006, 01:55 AM »
What did John Stewart say?  Steven Spielberg - 0 Oscar, rap singers - 1 Oscar???????

So you see what the Academy is capable of doing.

and maybe it is true:   "One will never go broke underestimating the American public" 

"No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people." --H.L. Mencken

I love that quote ever since I first heard it on the Mary Tyler Moore show about a gazillion years ago. 

RAB aka Raoul The Really Rotten

Offline Patriot1

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #1912 on: Mar 06, 2006, 01:57 AM »
okay guys, i'm going to do my homework.. haha then go to bad near 3am..
Goodnight!

Good night I_D

Offline sweetlilg

• "Jack, I swear..."
  • Ennis
« Reply #1913 on: Mar 06, 2006, 01:57 AM »

make that gays and women-we women stand right with you dudes and together we can take em--trust me - hell hath no fury like a woman scorned or perhaps a gay man scorned too!!

together we can do the impossible!!

Offline sweetlilg

• "Jack, I swear..."
  • Ennis
« Reply #1914 on: Mar 06, 2006, 01:59 AM »
Tough nite but not that bad after all.

We missed best movie... So what?

Casablanca missed best movie too, who recall the best winner of that year?  No one will recall Crash in 20 years, BBM will be remembered.

Peace my friends, I'm sure we will have endless discussions ahead about BMM.

Love  :-*

LONG LIVE BROKEBACK[/red]

good night.. chamo!  :-*

Offline Patriot1

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #1915 on: Mar 06, 2006, 02:02 AM »

OK, gays and women. Glad to have you along side.

Is everyone here too young to remember Anita Bryant?

She came out against gays.  At the time she was the spokesperson for the orange juice industry in florida.  Gays stopped drinking screwdrivers (and any drink made with citrus fruit) and put a real hurting on the citrus industry.

We have never heard of Anita Bryant again.

We can find something similar to do over BBM.

Offline Patriot1

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #1916 on: Mar 06, 2006, 02:03 AM »

Good night Cham.

Offline rabjr1

• Ennis
« Reply #1917 on: Mar 06, 2006, 02:08 AM »
The fix was in.  We was robbed.  But I guess that is a lesson for all of us, just when you thought people were finally "getting it" they pull the rug out form under us.  Kind of like a "Charlie Brown" moment when Lucy pulls the ball away from him.

Anyways I thought it was a pretty lame Oscar show.  I thought John Stewart could have bought better material.  The opening skit was fun to see.  I wonder if there were people who actually did turn down the host job?  And why?

And hey, we have Gay games why not Gay Oscars?  Oh, who am I kidding there would be too much time spent interviewing the fashionistas on the red carpet and little time for the awards.  but the cat fights might be fun to watch. 

RAB aka Raoul The Really Rotten

Offline karind1

• Jack
« Reply #1918 on: Mar 06, 2006, 04:21 AM »

OK, gays and women. Glad to have you along side.

Is everyone here too young to remember Anita Bryant?

She came out against gays.  At the time she was the spokesperson for the orange juice industry in florida.  Gays stopped drinking screwdrivers (and any drink made with citrus fruit) and put a real hurting on the citrus industry.

We have never heard of Anita Bryant again.

We can find something similar to do over BBM.

i certainly rememeber her  gagola

Offline coguaro

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #1919 on: Mar 06, 2006, 04:28 AM »
yes.. it was not so bad. I never though that Ennis, Jack or Alma would win. I'm little surprise for best film to Crash (but I did't seen the film)

Anyway BBM wins for ever in my hearth...

coguaro
I swear... I will never mistake again...